Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Is there any other family history of these types of cancer? I'm assuming you are a pretty young guy. Something to consider bringing up with your oncologist. You will want to know if there is any chance it is an inherited issue.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nannypea posted:

The only other interesting experience I had was with the neurosurgeon. He came by to see me before surgery and just mentioned that he was going to get all the tumor so I could then start chemo & radiation. He had not mentioned this before so I totally freaked out. So bad they got my husband to come back to calm me down. A happy shot took care of all shortly thereafter.
:psyduck: What in the gently caress is wrong with these people? You shouldn't need Ativan after discussing a procedure with a doctor. Unbelievable.

And yet among the people in my class who want to be surgeons, I can definitely see some of them doing the same kind of poo poo someday.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I'm happy your treatment is running along smoothly. Sorry to hear about your aunt.

If I may be so bold, can I inquire about how you're affording all of this treatment? Do you just have regular insurance? How has it been dealing with them? I am just curious.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The Enforcer posted:

I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma I'm pulling for you to recover! About the finances, after my treatment I had about, poo poo I don't know 350-500k in debt even with my insurance.
What a stupid loving system we have.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I asked this before but I'm still curious, how is everyone doing when it comes to insurance companies and paying for the chemotherapy treatments? What about other prescription medications or procedures?

All you guys keep us updated, I check this thread regularly. Don't give up hope.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Bob Vance posted:

Pretty much that the chemotherapy is no longer proving effective, and the cancer is looking somewhat more invasive. That's all I know...I might be getting a PET scan to identify the most active tissue, but that likely will not alter the next step that we're taking.

Very sorry to hear this. Again, for what it's worth, we are rooting for you.

Nannypea posted:

Back to Duke on Monday morning so I think they got the cancer stuff all under control but we still got to do something with the seizures.

Ugh, that sounds horrible. Good luck at Duke and keep us informed.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

No. He just tossed out "something viral" as the reason. I've only had surgery once and the problem existed before then. My radiation treatment was to my leg. No injuries to my throat. I had terrible mono back in 1992 so maybe that was it. I've had alot of weird feelings in my throat over the last year but the voice burnout had been going on for years.

My doc is the head of the voice center at UCLA so he must know his stuff although he's a bit of an impatient douchebag who doesn't like to listen.

The nerve that innervates your vocal chord is the recurrent laryngeal nerve. This guy is a complicated little fellow, and breaks off of the vagus nerve in your thorax before heading back upwards to your larynx. If you are having recent onset problems with your voice, such as hoarseness, then it can be cause for serious concern. Obviously prior surgical intervention on the thyroid gland or upper thorax or throat in general could be a possibility.

Unfortunately this is often the presenting symptom of certain malignancies or metastases. It is also sometimes the target for certain infections, like TB or viruses. I'm sure Epstein-Barr virus could do it (this is the most likely cause of your prior episode of mono; EBV can stay dormant in your body for decades). A full differential is here. Now you say your guy is the head of the Voice Center at UCLA, so obviously he is more than qualified. And if he has ruled out everything else then he is probably right.

Did he do any diagnostic testing like an x-ray or CT/MRI? Did he take a direct look at your larynx with a laryngoscope? Do you have a history of smoking?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

The problem started years ago, maybe even as far back as when I had mono so it's not something recent and not something I expect will go away by itself after all this time. That's why I'm hoping for some kind of speech therapy.

No x-ray or MRI but I've he's used the laryngoscope on me twice now to take a look. That's how he saw the problem and watching it on video it was obvious. There's also a small red spot on my cords and next time he'll try to get a better look at it. He said it looked like a bleed.

I've never smoked.

Alright that's good, did he mention biopsying the spot?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Haven't heard from Bob Vance in a long time. If you're still kicking check in!

He hasn't posted since November. :(

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I guess it's obvious but I'm gonna go ahead and point out that most cancers aren't infectious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Regence posted:

The match is 10/10 high resolution HLA typing

Wow, congratulations on that!