Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
I'm not sure why Zofran would conflict with Ativan. I took both every day of my chemo for a couple months with only positive effects.

But Emend (which I took for the first 3 days of each cycle) is indeed the new top of the line apart from Zofran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
The expectation of being a "noble warrior" really is tiring. Nobody wants to hear the truth about how much it all sucks.

What they want to hear:
"I'm a survivor and strong and I'm gonna win and cancer better watch out!"

What I want to say:
"I'm so loving pissed and sad that I have to deal with this poo poo again and Cisplatin loving blows and I'm not sure if I can even bring myself to face another cycle because I don't think I can handle another week feeling this lovely and my neck is all numb from surgery and my skin is all scabby from the radiation and my tastebuds and saliva glands are fried from IMRT so I can't taste anything except 'gross' and I barely have the strength to stagger out of the house to take the bus to the subway where nobody would think to offer a seat to the tall white guy who isn't pregnant or disabled so he couldn't possibly need a seat because he's close to passing out just standing there to the walk to the hospital for radiation every loving day and and that guy over there was walking last week but now he's in a wheelchair and his wife is obviously a shell of terror and pain and people wonder why I'm losing weight and not keeping up with my hydration because I'm taking anti-nausea drugs and anti-anxiety drugs and that means I must be nausea-free and fear-free and really it's just food and water and you have to do it so why is it so hard to just do it and you're so strong and such a survivor and you're gonna be just fine after all this."

Whatever. I'm 6 months "done" with treatment now and just waiting to hear if it decides to come back, and besides I went through all this 20 years ago so it's old hat and you know I'm immortal mom so please stop crying when you see me.

Geez, I think I needed to say this more than I thought because now I'm crying. Please be well everybody, in whatever form that takes.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
I had a dream that my cancer came back. Apparently the doctors had kept the tissues removed during surgery and noticed now that they were growing again a year later (which somehow made sense in the dream). So they called me and said I urgently needed a scan and chemo that day. I then spent the rest of the dream panicking about how I was going to get there, get someone to take me home after, and freaking out that since I had my port removed they were going to have to give me chemo through an IV and my veins are pure poo poo so how was that going to work, and going through chemo and radiation last time was so lovely that I wasn't sure if I would really want to go through with more, but I didn't have time to think about any of that and just had to get my rear end to the hospital. So that was a pretty un-awesome dream.

Wren, Sad Mammal, and everybody else who has posted in here about themselves or family or friends, you are never alone. If you ever feel alone or scared or that nobody understands or cares, know that I and other people are with you at least emotionally, and do understand and do care.

I know it's not much though. One of the best things about being treated at an all-cancer hospital was the knowledge that we were all "in the club." Old, young, male, female, hunched over in pain, strolling through casually, we were all united in a very unfortunate way and that we all knew what everyone's wry half-smile really meant ("ain't this some poo poo").

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
Never had the rear end restricted view, but it would have come in handy to at least pass the time. Come to think of it, one of those walker-seat things would have actually been quite helpful.

The day I got my shower seat was simultaneously great and sucky. I mean, it was awesome that I could safely take a shower without getting wobbly and falling down from being so weak. But it sucked to think that it was a few decades too soon.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002

Transmogrifier posted:

My father passed away this morning. He wasn't alone when it happened and I got here a moment after he passed.

He was doing good for awhile there, and we think he held out until my sister and her kids left and her birthday passed, which was yesterday.

I'm very sorry. I'm sure he was comforted by all the friends and family you mentioned had been visiting him. With that kind of gathering of loved ones, it really speaks to what an impact he had on so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Figured I'd post an update. It makes me feel better to write this down.

Chemo day three:

So apparently I'm really really allergic to etoposide, one of the main components of my BEP regime. It causes hives and swelling in fantastic fashion. Onc suspects its related to my psoriasis. The hives start at my psoriasis hot spots, and then spread. He said, with auto-immune issues, its anyone's guess. We found a solution that worked yesterday. If we spread the etoposide over four hours instead of two, with constant re-dosing of bennadryl and steroids, all I get is all over rash and itching. No hives, no dangerous swelling. It sucks, but I can live with it.

I've also found out that I suck at chess right now. I My roommate comes with me to my treatments. I usually beat him at chess. He's been wiping the floor with me.

Cisplatin knocked the poo poo out of me, so to deal with all those allergic reactions on top of it, you have my sympathies. My hardest days were like the 5th-7th days after each Cisplatin dose. I'm following your progress and sending all my positive vibes your way. Stay strong.