Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Fuzz posted:

I'm no pirate, but I still rip all my games to ROMs and play them off my M3 Lite. Carrying one thing instead of 20 cartridges is WAY better.
Absolutely, and I'd LOVE it if Nintendo got behind this for DS2 or whatever. Make the system secure, expand the wifi range/strength and security options, then make digital distribution online store that can download purchased games straight to the DS via wifi and demand all publishers release games onto the store besides physical (keep a slot-1 for support). Include a USB plug in case the owner doesn't have wireless support, and you're golden. I'd love the poo poo out of that handheld. :3:
They've got the DS store for the DSi, but that's a minor setup as far as I know, purely for old console titles and small things like Wiiware equivalent. I want the handheld version of Steam.
In fact, I want to buy DS games on Steam. *emails Gaben*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jetsetlemming posted:

Absolutely, and I'd LOVE it if Nintendo got behind this for DS2 or whatever. Make the system secure,

"Secure". :lol: Various companies are already running their flashcarts on the DSi, and it's only been out like a month. I think the original DS lasted about 8 months before people got unofficial code to run on it. I expect any new system that Nintendo comes out with will be broken within 2-3 months, tops.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

m2pt5 posted:

"Secure". :lol: Various companies are already running their flashcarts on the DSi, and it's only been out like a month. I think the original DS lasted about 8 months before people got unofficial code to run on it. I expect any new system that Nintendo comes out with will be broken within 2-3 months, tops.
I meant the digital distribution system. Not the console. :v: I imagine if you could just wirelessly beam a rom onto your DS without effort publishers would be a bit less willing to play.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jetsetlemming posted:

I meant the digital distribution system. Not the console.

Well, even Steam is not completely secure. No-steam versions of many Steam-only games exist, but since they can't connect to VAC servers, it's generally not worth the trouble. Even if Nintendo made a secure digital distribution system for some future version of the DS, people would still find ways to pirate them, unless they were online-only games that had to connect to secure servers to play.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Well, even Steam is not completely secure. No-steam versions of many Steam-only games exist, but since they can't connect to VAC servers, it's generally not worth the trouble. Even if Nintendo made a secure digital distribution system for some future version of the DS, people would still find ways to pirate them, unless they were online-only games that had to connect to secure servers to play.

I think that is the way things will inevitably go, though. If not this coming generation, then the next.

Prediction time: The successor to the DS (rather than a refresh like the DSi) will likely be capable of near-gamecube-quality graphics and sufficient onboard storage for a digital distribution-only business model. If Nintendo weren't shameless capitalists I would say that they'd allow any VC titles bought on their console (probably still Wii at that time) to be played on the handheld, but that strikes me as unlikely at this point; you'll probably have to buy them twice. Of course, the security will be cracked a month or two after release, as you say. 2010 announcement, Q1 2011 release, and we'll have about a year to play with it before the apocalypse

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 24, 2008

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Buchanandorf posted:

I think that is the way things will inevitably go, though. If not this coming generation, then the next.

Prediction time: The successor to the DS (rather than a refresh like the DSi) will likely be capable of near-gamecube-quality graphics and sufficient onboard storage for a digital distribution-only business model. If Nintendo weren't shameless capitalists I would say that they'd allow any VC titles bought on their console (probably still Wii at that time) to be played on the handheld, but that strikes me as unlikely at this point; you'll probably have to buy them twice. Of course, the security will be cracked a month or two after release, as you say. 2010 announcement, Q1 2011 release, and we'll have about a year to play with it before the apocalypse

They already talked about a handheld that would literally play Gamecube discs at E3, so that's very likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of digital distribution setup, but the key limiting factor was the onboard space on the system itself. If you only have like 8 Gigs of space on the handheld to work with, and the majority of games are 1-2 gigs each, then you have a bit less to worry about, in terms of piracy, because someone can't be walking around with your entire game catalogue in their pocket. If they have a decent speed for distribution and price the games competitively, I think you'd see a lot more people opting to buy instead of pirate, particularly if they have some sort of Steam-style forced authentification mode where you need wifi access to really play the complete game... in offline mode you don't get all your features or something.

I'm not saying that last bit is a good idea, (it's a loving terrible one for a handheld console) but I could totally see them doing that as a means of cracking down on piracy.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Fuzz posted:

They already talked about a handheld that would literally play Gamecube discs at E3, so that's very likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of digital distribution setup, but the key limiting factor was the onboard space on the system itself. If you only have like 8 Gigs of space on the handheld to work with, and the majority of games are 1-2 gigs each, then you have a bit less to worry about, in terms of piracy, because someone can't be walking around with your entire game catalogue in their pocket. If they have a decent speed for distribution and price the games competitively, I think you'd see a lot more people opting to buy instead of pirate, particularly if they have some sort of Steam-style forced authentification mode where you need wifi access to really play the complete game... in offline mode you don't get all your features or something.

I'm not saying that last bit is a good idea, (it's a loving terrible one for a handheld console) but I could totally see them doing that as a means of cracking down on piracy.

In a year or two high-capacity memory will be even cheaper, so 32gb will likely be standard for internal flash. I don't see Nintendo going with an iPod-type harddrive for even higher capacities in their handheld, but I could be wrong. At any rate, storage will definitely not be an issue, and any limitations could easily be handled by "side-loading" from the console or PC (that is, if they implement the kind of infrastructure I'm imagining for digital distribution).

You're absolutely right that delivery would be the main issue, although I could see Nintendo easily skirting that by making their "download stations" an even larger installation in stores where games are sold, keeping retail outlets in the picture (at least for those with lovely internet connections).

So that leaves piracy, which of course is always going to be there. There's no doubt the hardware would have quite a few preventive measures built in, so some slightly inaccessible means of cracking would probably still be required (either a flashcart-style device or a risky flashing procedure), thus preventing piracy (and, by extension, homebrew use) from growing too much beyond its current level, at least for a while.

The only real obstacle to the kind of digital distribution system we're talking about, then, will be the willingness to venture into a largely untested business model, which Nintendo may very well balk on.

boy that's a lot of words that have nothing to do with homebrew

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 24, 2008

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Hey, with upgrading, buying new cards for people, etc., I have 2 2Gb MicroSDs and 1 4Gb MicroSD that I'm fairly certain I'll never use.
If anyone wants them, PM me. It's 8Gb of memory so technically I guess it's worth $60, but I'll take $25 just to get them out of my house.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
:siren: Hot news: DS TopToy price dropped to $6.83 at Deal Extreme. Free shipping as usual with DX makes this now the cheapest way to get in the scene. :siren:
Link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

KamikazeJim posted:

:siren: Hot news: DS TopToy price dropped to $6.83 at Deal Extreme. Free shipping as usual with DX makes this now the cheapest way to get in the scene. :siren:

Grab a cheap microSD and slap YSMenu on it, and you can get into DS homebrew for under $20.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

KamikazeJim posted:

Yeah, I grabbed a couple of those along with some cheap cards for my younger brothers yesterday, it's a great bargain.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm reading a review of the TopToy right now; it seems to be as competent at playing homebrew as the R4, and firmware updates still seem to be coming out for it. Why is this card so cheap? I must have paid 5x that amount when I bought my R4.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Karthe posted:

I'm reading a review of the TopToy right now; it seems to be as competent at playing homebrew as the R4, and firmware updates still seem to be coming out for it. Why is this card so cheap? I must have paid 5x that amount when I bought my R4.

AFAIK it's basically a cyclo clone (cyclone :haw: ) being mass produced but with certain features of the chip removed? or something like that. unless I'm thinking of a different card

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

About GBA Exploader, can anyone explain what PSRAM and NOR mode are, how they interact with each other, and how I can switch which game is in the NOR or whatever without losing my save? I just blew away my chapter 5 Mother 3 save trying to load something else and I don't know what I did wrong :cry:

(cyclods evolution and ezflash V, for reference)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
PSRAM is like temporary and I believe still reads the file from slot 1 or something. NOR saves the rom to the ezflash.

Assuming your Mother 3 is already loaded into NOR:
1. Load up GBA Exploader
2. Hit R
3. Press X to save SRAM to SAV
4. Save in an empty slot
5. Now if you want to back up the file you just saved, take your microsd out, and connect it to your computer somehow.
6. I think on the recent firmwares it changes the directory but it should be in the root as GBA_SAVE or something along those lines.

I hope that helps future endeavors and sorry to hear about you losing all those hours.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ledneh posted:

About GBA Exploader, can anyone explain what PSRAM and NOR mode are, how they interact with each other, and how I can switch which game is in the NOR or whatever without losing my save? I just blew away my chapter 5 Mother 3 save trying to load something else and I don't know what I did wrong :cry:

(cyclods evolution and ezflash V, for reference)

PSRAM is what you're going to use for most of your games. NOR is for games that are over a certain size, like Mother 3 (GBA Exploader will tell you when a game needs to be run from NOR).

I'm not entirely sure about this, but in Exploader I think there is a button that says "Copy SAV to SRAM" which you have to do before you load a different game into the NOR. Then I think you can load it back from the SRAM to the SAV when you go back to, say, Mother 3. However, it's definitely possible that you can only keep one NOR save at a time, which would suck. Luckily, I don't think NOR affects PSRAM at all, so you can still run and save other PSRAM games without disturbing your NOR.

Edit: Gvaz is much smarter than I am.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It was weird, though. I loaded Exploader to play something else (Mother 3 having been in the NOR for some time now, and having been playing it from the standard DS menu). It brings up a dialog that said something like, "Initialize slot 2 for exploader? y/n"

Choosing N turned off the DS, and choosing Y got me back in. I went to the NOR menu to look for a backup option, but nothing worked, claiming no SRAM was found. This was obviously worrying, so I reset and went back to the DS menu and loaded the GBA game. Mother 3 was still there... but my saves were gone. :cry:

But now with the other game in the NOR (since M3 is a loss, now, I'm not gonna replay it for a long time), I can back up that SAV file just fine before loading something else into NOR. I guess the initialize thing had something to do with Mother 3's sheer size.

Blah. :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Well, it's not considered a great idea to switch back and forth between Exploader and the DS's native menu for loading slot 2. I think they deal with saves differently, so trying to switch back to exploader after using the standard DS menu might be the cause of the problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I figured that out after I tried to go back to Exploader to put Mother 3 back in the NOR (replacing FF6 which replaced Mother 3 in the first place). Asked if it could initialize the slot 2 again, which means I lost my FF6 data.

Hopefully running from NOR through exploader instead of using the DS menu will stop this from happening and allow me to back up my SRAMs before loading new games into the NOR. :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Why don't you just load it into NOR, then play the gba game through the standard DS menu?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's what I've BEEN doing, which I'm guessing is what's keeping me from getting into Exploader to change games without having to reinitialize the drat thing (which let's note here is what's wiping out my saves)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 28, 2008

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ledneh posted:

That's what I've BEEN doing, which I'm guessing is what's keeping me from getting into Exploader to change games without having to reinitialize the drat thing (which let's note here is what's wiping out my saves)

But if you're loading it from the cyclo menu, shouldn't it back up your save in the SRAM to a sav file the next time you start up the DS anyway?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ledneh posted:

Yeah, I figured that out after I tried to go back to Exploader to put Mother 3 back in the NOR (replacing FF6 which replaced Mother 3 in the first place). Asked if it could initialize the slot 2 again, which means I lost my FF6 data.

Hopefully running from NOR through exploader instead of using the DS menu will stop this from happening and allow me to back up my SRAMs before loading new games into the NOR. :(

If I remember correctly, there's no reason to play FF6 from the NOR. Just sayin'.

Edit: Just checked and, nope, no reason to run it from NOR. So, you can theoretically run Mother 3 from the NOR and FFVI from the PSRAM, and never the twain shall meet (or interfere with each other's saves).

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 28, 2008

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
CycloDS Evolution Firmware v1.51 is out.
Link
Just some compatibility fixes:
Change log
----------

- v1.51 (27/11/2008)

* Game compatibility fixes (2796, 2838, 3049, 3054)

This is good if you've been having any recent problems.

SideshoW
Dec 5, 2005

My afro saved my life :v:
Oh god, I just bought 2 acekards from deal extreme and right after i paid it took be back to the site but I just noticed the message board on the bottom and there are TONS of defects. Well at least it was only 25 bucks for 2. I was going to go for the dstt originally but after looking at the reivews on gbatemp I went with the acekards. I hope i dont get a broken one.

HOT BRITISH SEX
Jun 12, 2007

She's just coming, sir.
Hey guys, could anyone recommend a UK supplier of flash cards that:

1) is not outrageously expensive, and
2) delivers quickly?

I'm planning on getting someone a DS + DSTT, but they leave the country on the 10th of December. I've searched for ages, but most sites come with bad reviews. :(

HOT BRITISH SEX fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 28, 2008

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Ridiculous Man posted:

I'm planning on getting someone a DS + DSTT, but they leave the country on the 10th of December. I've searched for ages, but most sites come with bad reviews. :(

DealExtreme has worldwide free shipping, and it should probably get to you before December 10th.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Regarding DSi homebrew, it probably won't be as simple as it is with the DS where you can simply put in a Slot-1 card and go. If they just fixed a few of their mistakes from what they did on the Wii (like using strcmp to verify signatures), the firmware will be verified by a small ROM chip (equivalent to the Wii's boot0) using proper public-key encryption, and then then the official firmware performs similar checks. Using saves is a kludge that isn't viable if they can release patched firmwares arbitrarily, turning it into a homebrew arms race like what happened with the PSP. There's always clever hardware mods, though. Replacing the boot0 ROM would probably be a bitch, but I seen any schematics of the DSi yet.

tl;dr: you'll probably need to open up your DSi and solder some stuff to run homebrew reliably, if ever.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Rudy Riot posted:

CycloDS Evolution Firmware v1.51 is out.
Link
Just some compatibility fixes:
Change log
----------

- v1.51 (27/11/2008)

* Game compatibility fixes (2796, 2838, 3049, 3054)

This is good if you've been having any recent problems.

Finally, the answers to my prayers for a fix for Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force!

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Ratatozsk posted:

Finally, the answers to my prayers for a fix for Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force!

hahaha

:ssh: it's for chrono trigger, apparently pirates can't keep their numbers straight

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Buchanandorf posted:

hahaha

:ssh: it's for chrono trigger, apparently pirates can't keep their numbers straight

:ssh: Don't shout or they'll all want one!

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

KamikazeJim posted:

Just a heads up to anyone buying DSTT cards from dealextreme:

I bought two of these around the 10th of november for a bit more and unfortunately both have stopped working now, and freeze either on the ds health and safety warning or just on a plain white screen.

After reading around gbatemp I believe I have received two fake cards judging by the sdhc card reader portion of the DSTT card, which I can hopefully send back and get replaced, as long as I can find the original packing which I have to take a photo of for a return claim to be entered :(

Though I believe they have no amended the issue and aren't sending fakes out anymore.

desy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 1, 2008

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

desy posted:

Though I believe they have no amended the issue and aren't sending fakes out anymore.

Why would you make fakes of a $6 card? :confused:

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

Bummey posted:

Why would you make fakes of a $6 card? :confused:

Well, I guess it just doesn't cost that much to produce so some other companies thought they'd have a bash and clone it?

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:
Acekard2i For DSi Released!

dsi hacked to run acecard2

plays roms and homebrew

on the topic of ttds

DOnt know if I can say much good about ttds aside from being cheap , it freezes alot and has awful homebrew support
ysmenu is really a godsend for this card

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

cakeslob posted:

DOnt know if I can say much good about ttds aside from being cheap , it freezes alot and has awful homebrew support

Is ysmenu a firmware replacement or something? A friend of mine has a dstt and said he's been having trouble with homebrew, so I should probably hook him up with that if it'll make things run better.

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:

Buchanandorf posted:

Is ysmenu a firmware replacement or something? A friend of mine has a dstt and said he's been having trouble with homebrew, so I should probably hook him up with that if it'll make things run better.
you should hook him up with it anyways
if im not mistaken, its somewhat of a shell for the ttds firmware and uses the same kernals
so homebrew runs equally bad on both

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

cakeslob posted:

you should hook him up with it anyways
if im not mistaken, its somewhat of a shell for the ttds firmware and uses the same kernals
so homebrew runs equally bad on both

DSTT has proprietary DLDI support, but I've never experienced problems with anything but the Alarm Clock app from that Moonshell guy (using YSMENU)

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

cakeslob posted:

You might just have a hosed card. For the most part, my TTDS runs fine.

Then again, I don't use a lot of homebrew other than Readmore Alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical_Dreamer
Oct 16, 2008
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a cyclo DS from Jandaman, can anyone vouch for the site?

• Locked thread