Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Buchanandorf posted:

possibly the most important piece of homebrew you'll ever use

http://multiple-option.blogspot.com/2008/12/easy-proposal-maker-featuring-search.html

:ughh:

but seriously this is the best thing since Magnetic Shaving Derby
I saw that on Kotaku, and I thought it was kind of a neat idea if you have a really geeky/nerdy boyfriend/girlfriend you wanted to propose to. :unsmith:

Then I realized that you could possibly fake them out and use this to break up, which isn't as neat if you thought you were in a good relationship. :smith:

\/\/\/ Actually, if you did that the day before the DSi came out, then you have a good excuse to upgrade. ;)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Obeast posted:

Then I realized that you could possibly fake them out and use this to break up, which isn't as neat if you thought you were in a good relationship. :smith:

But then they'd have your DS in their hands when they read the message. Bad idea. Unless it happens to you in which case go hog wild.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 17, 2008

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

This seems to be a good month for homebrew.

Negative Space v2.0

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123470

quote:

Negative Space is a homebrew puzzle game for the GBA that MIA has recently ported to the NDS, based on the concept of negative space. With this port comes a few updates, see below.

v2.0 change log:
A decent GUI.
Blob movements are done with the stylus and not with the d-pad.
More levels, including a tutorial.
Save feature
Circular cursor.
I could never get Negative Space to work on the GBA for some reason, so I'm glad it got ported :)

-----

FAAngbandDS v2.50

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123462

quote:

FAAngband has been recently improved and released for the NDS thanks to the efforts of Michael Smith. This game itself is based on the Angband dungeon-crawling roguelike computer game.
I have never enjoyed roguelikes but here's another one I guess!!

-----

StarquakeDS

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123456

quote:

StarquakeDS is a remake of the ZX Spectrum classic by Stephen Crow from Bubblebus Software (1985). You take control of BLOB (Bio-Logically Operated Being) and work to repair the planet's core.

looks like it could be an interesting puzzle/platformer

-----

Qub3DS v1.0

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123072

quote:

Qub3DS is a Nintendo DS port of Qub3D, a tetris like mini-game from Grand Theft Auto IV. It uses only one screen, no touch screen input, it's controlled simply by D-Pad, A and Start. If you weren't playing the original Qub3D game you'll have to learn intuitively those non standard game rules.
And that just about does it!

FYI I'm literally just copying and pasting the more interesting stuff from the gbatemp frontpage (omitting things like the four hundredth homebrew Pong clone) so check there too!!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Anyone use the DS for ebook reading? I was thinking of getting an ebook reader for all of my .txt novels that I normally read on the computer, but if the DS does it well I'll get a cyclo instead and save myself $500 bucks.

I found dslibris but it only does xhtml files, are there other book readers that do a bunch of other file types out there?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Washout posted:

Anyone use the DS for ebook reading? I was thinking of getting an ebook reader for all of my .txt novels that I normally read on the computer, but if the DS does it well I'll get a cyclo instead and save myself $500 bucks.

I found dslibris but it only does xhtml files, are there other book readers that do a bunch of other file types out there?

Check out DS ReadmoreAlpha (I'm pretty sure it's linked on the first page.) It's my reader of choice. It'll read your .txt files and gives you bookmarks for each book read. It's pretty bare, and hasn't seen anyupdating in quite some time, but it's my reader of choice.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Ratatozsk posted:

Check out DS ReadmoreAlpha (I'm pretty sure it's linked on the first page.) It's my reader of choice. It'll read your .txt files and gives you bookmarks for each book read. It's pretty bare, and hasn't seen anyupdating in quite some time, but it's my reader of choice.

Seconding this. I love it. It has a few errors though - or at least mine does - with deleting or replacing letters at random intervals. Can't really explain it.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Does anyone have a download link (or know the newest version of nesDS? Main download link is dead and google's turning up wip builds from 2006

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

This is the newest version I can find, from mid 2007: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=870

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Buchanandorf posted:

This is the newest version I can find, from mid 2007: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=870

Thanks man, i'll give it a try

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

quote:

Lameboy - Gameboy/GBC emulator

GB Emulator - Gameboy/GBC emulator

Which of these is better, or does it not matter? I want to show my kids what I used to play 'back in my day'.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm (slowly) getting back into Nethack, and recall there being a few different DS versions of it for homebrew, some better than others. Anyone able to point me to the "best" one? which preferably has save scumming

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Sloppy posted:

Which of these is better, or does it not matter? I want to show my kids what I used to play 'back in my day'.
I'm pretty sure Lameboy is the one most people use.

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm (slowly) getting back into Nethack, and recall there being a few different DS versions of it for homebrew, some better than others. Anyone able to point me to the "best" one? which preferably has save scumming
I know Powder has been popular. But I hate roguelikes so I'm probably not the best person to be answering this!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

This is the best Nethack port

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Sloppy posted:

Lameboy has been perfect for me except for Super Mario Land 2.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Buchanandorf posted:

I'm pretty sure Lameboy is the one most people use.

I know Powder has been popular. But I hate roguelikes so I'm probably not the best person to be answering this!

Powder's what I have been playing, actually. I am bad at it though.

Thanks for the link, Notebook.

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer

Washout posted:

The the available applications are decent, not great. ReadMore is alright, but I don't think you can hold the DS sideways to read, and I could never get the drat bookmarks to work. I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think the font wasn't changeable and it hurt my eyes a bit. DSLibris is pretty sparse, but the bookmarks work well and you can just use a free converter to get xhtml files. Fonts can be changed on the fly, too. I think the creator's blog has some useful info about the program in general: basic info, how to prepare books for the reader.

edit: forgot to say that as far as I know, those two only support really basic filetypes like .txt and .xhtml. I don't think anything supports .lit and absolutely nothing supports .pdf unfortunately.

delirious pancake fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2008

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/xrickds-version-2-1-176681.html

They updated the Rick Dangerous port. Hurrah!!

btw, that site should be in all your bookmarks, it's basically awesome.
Other news is that someone is doing a Smash Bros. for DS, although right now it seems to be more of a tech demo. It's downloadable on dcemu as well.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Since Quad was too lazy to post a link :)

Smash Brothers:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163547

Edit: Does anyone have another download link? Stupid Rapidshare keeps claiming I'm already downloading something.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'd love to see a decent port of Wonderboy in Monsterland, I know I can play it on a Master System emulator, but it's not quite perfect.

Ahh nostalgia.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sloppy posted:

Since Quad was too lazy to post a link :)

Smash Brothers:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163547

Edit: Does anyone have another download link? Stupid Rapidshare keeps claiming I'm already downloading something.

It's really really bad.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
What do you guys think is the best DS web browser? I've been trying DSOrganizer, but with little to no luck (generally can connect, just can't display pages).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

iloverice posted:

What do you guys think is the best DS web browser? I've been trying DSOrganizer, but with little to no luck (generally can connect, just can't display pages).

That's like asking which turd smells the best - none of them are very good, but the official one is probably the best least awful of the lot.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The only thing I have ever used the official browser for is fixing the channel settings on the wireless router upstairs whenever its lovely signal gives out and I have to stand next to the drat thing to actually get a connection

...but it works well enough for that :shobon:

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
Hey guys, I'm trying to get Warcraft TD to work on my R4. I've patched for DLDI and everything, but when I start it up, it says "initializing FAT/EFS, please wait" and just freezes there. Anyone know what's up?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Perhaps you patched it with the wrong flashcart option?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Try not patching it. The R4 should auto-patch DLDI.

If that fails, format your memory card.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton

psylent posted:

I'd love to see a decent port of Wonderboy in Monsterland, I know I can play it on a Master System emulator, but it's not quite perfect.

Ahh nostalgia.

whats wrong with the sms emulator? I never had any problems with it. For about a month after I got my flash card all I played was Wonderboy in Monsterland and Alex the Kidd. :D

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Anyone try the R4 revolution? I have the option to get one fairly cheaply and it supposedly has fixed the old spring problems I've heard friends whine about. (I don't own any homebrew things for my DS, just games that I'm hoping to be able to more easily store without constantly switching carts)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm posted:

Anyone try the R4 revolution? I have the option to get one fairly cheaply and it supposedly has fixed the old spring problems I've heard friends whine about. (I don't own any homebrew things for my DS, just games that I'm hoping to be able to more easily store without constantly switching carts)

Most R4 cards these days are fakes. Besides, the CycloDS is basically the new standard. I would probably pay the extra bucks for that.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
As someone who knew exactly NOTHING about flash carts up until I ordered one that arrived a few days ago, I would recommend the CycloDS. The hardware doesn't feel like some cheap piece of bootlegging poo poo and is actually nicely polished. The menu is simple and leaves little to be desired from a casual user. Loading ROMs is incredibly simple and I figured out how to do so 5 minutes out of the box without instructions.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

FAG posted:

whats wrong with the sms emulator? I never had any problems with it. For about a month after I got my flash card all I played was Wonderboy in Monsterland and Alex the Kidd. :D
Don't know, guess I'm after more of an update than anything else. If they're doing Giana Sisters they can do this :colbert:

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Just so I don't order the wrong thing, this is the correct homebrew tool thingy? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17844 I'd go for the "goon choice" but I'm not sure the extra benefits it brings are worth the extra £30 or so.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Rookoo posted:

Just so I don't order the wrong thing, this is the correct homebrew tool thingy? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17844 I'd go for the "goon choice" but I'm not sure the extra benefits it brings are worth the extra £30 or so.

That's a bootleg version, this is the real deal.

Warezd Quake
Jan 18, 2008
Does anyone elses DS just goto a black screen when they try to run faangband DS? Powder is great enough to suffice for now but Nethack DS was terrible. I hate games with absolutely no hand in picking benefits for leveling up.

I wish Dwarf Fortress wasn't so goddamn CPU intensive so there could be a DS fort someday but it'll never happen.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Keito posted:

That's a bootleg version, this is the real deal.

There appear to be a number of reports claiming they ship fake and broken carts, is this correct, or is it just a side effect of it not being the best product out there?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Warezd Quake posted:

Does anyone elses DS just goto a black screen when they try to run faangband DS? Powder is great enough to suffice for now but Nethack DS was terrible. I hate games with absolutely no hand in picking benefits for leveling up.

I wish Dwarf Fortress wasn't so goddamn CPU intensive so there could be a DS fort someday but it'll never happen.

why exactly is dwarf fortress so cpu intensive compared to other roguelikes? (I've never played it)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rookoo posted:

There appear to be a number of reports claiming they ship fake and broken carts, is this correct, or is it just a side effect of it not being the best product out there?

For $5-10 you get what you pay for. There are tons of fake carts out there, even for the bottom of the barrel stuff. Cyclo is the best, and worth the price.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Buchanandorf posted:

why exactly is dwarf fortress so cpu intensive compared to other roguelikes? (I've never played it)
Because A) despite being ASCII it's rendering each tile as two triangle polys, and B) It's got a billion and two constant simulations going for every dwarf, and plenty more for every item and animal. Also C) It's made by one guy who's not exactly some sort of optimization pro. When you're working in ASCII and all your really intensive stuff is just backround calculations you can afford to be horrible as most actual computers are good enough. It'd take a professional dev team re-writing DF from scratch to get it remotely portable.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Notebook posted:

For $5-10 you get what you pay for. There are tons of fake carts out there, even for the bottom of the barrel stuff. Cyclo is the best, and worth the price.

Speaking of the cyclo, how do you get the mini sd card out of it? Are you just meant to use a fingernail to pull it out or should it pop up or is there some button thing I can't see?

(I just got one for christmas and I've never used a miniSD card before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

violetdragon posted:

Speaking of the cyclo, how do you get the mini sd card out of it? Are you just meant to use a fingernail to pull it out or should it pop up or is there some button thing I can't see?

(I just got one for christmas and I've never used a miniSD card before)

MicroSD(MiniSD is a bit bigger), and yes, you just pull it out like that. It's got a ridge on it for a reason.

• Locked thread