Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a little awkward at first but you get used to the motion eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I hope so. It took about 10 tries the first time. :I

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

violetdragon posted:

Speaking of the cyclo, how do you get the mini sd card out of it? Are you just meant to use a fingernail to pull it out or should it pop up or is there some button thing I can't see?

(I just got one for christmas and I've never used a miniSD card before)

Just use your fingernail and yank it out. I'm still afraid I'm going to snap the little thing one of these days.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Just so you know, I recently ordered a DS Top Toy for $6 or so, and the thing won't even be detected by the DS. Tried the bending/tape/voodoo methods, nothing worked. I assumed it was just DOA. Looking at the forums on Gbatemp, it honestly doesn't look like the DSTT is a good choice for anyone. I've heard about contact problems even about shipments that don't come DOA or fake.

If you're going to go for a bargain card, I can vouch for the Ace Kard 2, which is rough $15-16 on Deal Extreme right now. I've ordered two in the past and they've never had any problems. So if anyone is unsure about flash cards and want to test the waters before dropping $40 or however much a Cyclo goes for right now, the Ace Kard is definitely the best bang for your buck right now.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Bought two DSTT from DealExtreme recently and gave those (AMONG OTHER THINGS) to my brothers yesterday, there was no problem with either of 'em. I also own one myself, and two of my coworkers also enjoy theirs bought from DX a while ago.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I've been using the DSTT for many, many months. I can vouch that it's wonderful. You just got a lovely card.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm glad you guys got working cards, but I still can't in good conscience recommend it myself when I know most people will order one off of Deal Extreme (After all, if you're going to buy a bargain card, you'll probably want one at a bargain price) and that current batch seems to be faulty if the posts on their website and my personal experience are any indication. At the very least, I wouldn't buy a DSTT from DX at the moment, not until they get their poo poo straight.

I recommend Acekard 2 because, even disregarding my own success with them, I haven't seen widespread problems with it on other forums.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
To get the microSD card out of my Cyclo I just slide it out with my thumbnail. All it took was sending it flying once when I yanked it out for me to find a different way. It comes out a lot easier now than it did when I first got it but it's still secure.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
The cycloDS website is down and I'm having some trouble getting everything working. Is there a support forum somewhere else I can go to?

I managed to change the cyclo's skin, but I have no idea where to put the homebrew apps so that I can use them. Right now they are in G:\CycloDS\apps where G is the microSD card. Can I not organize things into folders? Do things like moonshell have to be installed before I can use them or do I just select the .nds file to launch the program?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If G:\CycloDS is the place you put the firmware and stuff, that's not gonna work, because I'd say every current card hides its system files when browsing through their software (it'd be the same as installing ever app on your windows box to C:\WINDOWS, and then force the users to wade through there).

Make a folder like G:\homebrew and put your apps there, should work out better.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
For those in the EU, I ordered off:

http://www.pcjerry.co.uk

The prices are amazing at the moment, thanks the Euro/Sterling exchange rate - I picked up a Cyclo and a 4gb microSD for 48 euro including delivery.

Hopefully it will all arrive safe and in one piece, if so it might be a link for the OP for Europeans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Keito posted:

If G:\CycloDS is the place you put the firmware and stuff, that's not gonna work, because I'd say every current card hides its system files when browsing through their software (it'd be the same as installing ever app on your windows box to C:\WINDOWS, and then force the users to wade through there).

Also read the readmes of each app, some need files on the root directory. (just G:\)

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Keito posted:

I managed to figure that out early this morning. Also yay the cycloDS site it back up! I can use the actual support page now.

Thanks for the help though everyone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got a CycloDS for Christmas and I'm having trouble getting Moonshell and SNEmulDS to work properly.

Here's what my root directory looks like:

The Apps folder contains one file: MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds

When CycloDS boots, it will not let me select the Media icon from the three icons on the main menu. It tells me that Moonshell is not loaded. It lets me run Moonshell from using a separate icon but I don't think this is correct.

The SNES folder contains a few SNES rom files I loaded as a test. SNEmulDS loads but it does not display the rom files. The rom files have been played on my computer so I know they work.

Any ideas?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Chinaski posted:

I got a CycloDS for Christmas and I'm having trouble getting Moonshell and SNEmulDS to work properly.
The media button loads /moonshl/moonshell.nds
Either move your nds file or grab the moonshell rar from Cyclops' site.

SkinnyMan
Mar 2, 2001
I'M
CUTE

Chinaski posted:

The SNES folder contains a few SNES rom files I loaded as a test. SNEmulDS loads but it does not display the rom files. The rom files have been played on my computer so I know they work.

Any ideas?

I had to make sure I had the .smc extension on the snes roms, or else none of them would show up, so give that a try.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

vkeios posted:

I did not have a moonshell.nds file with the package I downloaded from the Cyclos site. I moved the MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds file into the /moonshl directory but it's still not working. I'll keep loving around with it. If anyone else notices anything strange please let me know.

SkinnyMan posted:

I had to make sure I had the .smc extension on the snes roms, or else none of them would show up, so give that a try.

Renaming the files with the extension worked perfectly. Thanks!

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer

violetdragon posted:

I hope so. It took about 10 tries the first time. :I

It definitely gets easier -- I was in the ten minute camp for about two or three times, and now it's instantaneous. If you think it's hard to get it out, try putting a little bit of fabric (like a shirtsleeve) over your card and pull it out with your fingernail.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

vkeios posted:

That post gave me an idea, so thank you. I wanted the Media button to load LMP instead of Moonshell, but instead of trying to change the behavior of the button, I just renamed lmp-ng-2-alpha.nds and moved it, and that surprisingly worked.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Chinaski posted:

MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds
That's for a DS-X, not your CycloDS, so it shouldn't be working.

Chinaski posted:

I did not have a moonshell.nds file with the package I downloaded from the Cyclos site.
I open the site linked above and immediately see "Moonshell v1.71 for CycloDS Evolution (Release 3)". Just go there and download it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Keito posted:

That's for a DS-X, not your CycloDS, so it shouldn't be working.

I open the site linked above and immediately see "Moonshell v1.71 for CycloDS Evolution (Release 3)". Just go there and download it.

Thanks - it's working now. I must have gotten confused.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone succeeded in getting WoctoChat to work? The server won't bind to whatever port I put in the config file, and the NDS client doesn't appear to connect to WiFi (the little signal strength window is always in the Red).

Googling for a solution didn't turn up anything helpful; I might have to dig into the source code some more and figure out what's up.

squid jerky
Dec 25, 2005

Despite being the life of the party, the drunken rat finds immense difficulty in balancing on a stick.
The Acekard 2 & 2i seems to be reviewing well, has anyone tried it first hand yet?

The features and skinning seem pretty good plus it's a reasonably new entry to the market, so you'd hope it had consolidated any features to raise the base level.

Any advice or opinion to offer re AK2 v CycloDS Evo?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I bought Acekard 2s (The old one, but AK2i shouldn't be too different) for two people I know, and both seem to work pretty well without hiccups. So, I'd give it the go ahead.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
My CycloDS and EZ Flash arrived in the mail today via OzModChips (who I highly recommend for any Aussies wanting to get in on the deal) and now I've got a few questions.

Firstly, I loaded a few of my old Genesis games onto the card and some work beautifully in jEnesiDS. Others, however, don't load at all. In the readme it says the following:

quote:

You have to play a bit with the settings to make some games boot or work better.
Some games work faster with "H-INT emulation", others need it to work at all.
Very few games will just boot, if checksum autofixing is disabled (Dynamite Heady, Thunder Force IV).
I can't seem to find where to go to change all this stuff. What should I be looking for? Can I change settings on a game-by-game basis and have them apply solely to that game, or do I have to change things around every time I want to load something else? If it's the former, how would I go about doing this?

Secondly, I want to try and get the Pal Park feature working on my Pokemon games. Instead of lugging around a ton of carts I'd like to just toss them all onto the flashcart and go from there. I remember seeing something about a patch a while ago but I can't find it anymore. Has anyone gotten the Pal Park feature to work, and if so, exactly how did they do it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Goodpart posted:

Secondly, I want to try and get the Pal Park feature working on my Pokemon games. Instead of lugging around a ton of carts I'd like to just toss them all onto the flashcart and go from there. I remember seeing something about a patch a while ago but I can't find it anymore. Has anyone gotten the Pal Park feature to work, and if so, exactly how did they do it?

If you have the real game, you can't Pal Park with a GBA ROM on the 3-in-1.

If you're talking about running a ROM on your Cyclo, this is not the place to ask; this is the homebrew thread, not :filez:.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I wasn't asking about anything illegal, what I meant is that I wanted to port all the games I have to my Cyclo instead of keeping them as individual carts, so I don't have to keep swapping out every time I want to do something else. It's just an ease of use thing, nothing suss. If it's an impossibility I'll just deal with it and switch when I have to with the real deal.

Also, just on Tyrian DS, what a fantastic port. I'm slowly working my way through the homebrew projects and am suitably impressed. Now they just need to do One Must Fall 2097 and I'll be content forever. :)

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

If you have the real game, you can't Pal Park with a GBA ROM on the 3-in-1.

If you're talking about running a ROM on your Cyclo, this is not the place to ask; this is the homebrew thread, not :filez:.
It is a bit silly to expect a thread about DS homebrew, which requires a flashcart to use, not to include any discussion of one of the flashcart's primary functions. People are going to use these to back up their games, and they will want advice about doing so.

He's talking about getting copies of games he owns to work properly on a flashcart--nothing :filez: about that. There aren't any other threads here where he can get that information (nor should there be), so it's going to happen here. Give it a rest.

Goodpart posted:

I wasn't asking about anything illegal, what I meant is that I wanted to port all the games I have to my Cyclo instead of keeping them as individual carts, so I don't have to keep swapping out every time I want to do something else. It's just an ease of use thing, nothing suss. If it's an impossibility I'll just deal with it and switch when I have to with the real deal.

I did some digging, and there's a patch linked in this thread which seems to be what you're looking for: http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=81046

The patch looks pretty straightforward. I'm guessing you just load the GBA pokemon game onto the 3in1's NOR rom, then use the Pal Park thing in your patched Diamond/Pearl as you normally would. I don't really play Pokemon so I can't help much beyond that v:shobon:v

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Anybody know a good Asia-based site where I can get a 3-in-1 besides dealextreme? It only seems to accept Paypal payments and I don't want to make a paypal account, plus people seem to be getting duds from them.

I'm in Korea, so ordering from a US-based site isn't really ideal.

edit: Okay, found out I could just enter my credit card info for paypal to do it, but I get this message:

The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

So dealextreme REALLY isn't an option.

Ara fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 1, 2009

t_rf
Nov 24, 2006
Re: Acekard 2(not 2i), I got one the other week and it works fine. Everything I've tried, homebrew or otherwise has run spiffy with no patching or configuration. Some ROMs will crash after saving, but this could be a problem with the microSD I'm using. (It's never impeded gameplay, the save itself has always worked) The physical construction feels flimsy, but only time will tell on that one.

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology
I have a CycloDS and I recently bought a EZflash V for the Slot 2, however when I put it in the DS doesn't see anything. CycloDS doesn't see anything. I have v1.51 firmware installed on the Cyclo.

Is there something I am forgetting to do? Or do I have a defective EZflash?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

MP*DeafRei posted:

I have a CycloDS and I recently bought a EZflash V for the Slot 2, however when I put it in the DS doesn't see anything. CycloDS doesn't see anything. I have v1.51 firmware installed on the Cyclo.

Is there something I am forgetting to do? Or do I have a defective EZflash?

you put a microsd card in it, right

e: wait, do you mean the ezflash 3in1?

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 2, 2009

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology
Yeah the "EZFlash 3-in-1 Memory Expansion Pack for NDS Lite" got it from DealExtreme when they were I think $20 around Christmas.

I need to put a microcard inside of the EZFlash?

edit: just to clarify the Cyclo works fine, I'm playing Nethack on it right now. What I'm trying to do now is get this brand new EZFlash cart to work at all.

MP*DeafRei fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2009

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

nono, I was confused, I thought you had a different slot2.

If the 3in1 isn't being detected at all (but your DS detects other gba carts fine) you probably have a defective unit, sorry :(

e: just to be sure, what are you trying to do, exactly? It sounds like you're trying to load a GBA game through the CycloDS interface, which should work just fine if you have the latest firmware.

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 2, 2009

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology
Is there anything else I should check or try before contacting DealExtreme and asking about an exchange or refund?

The the 3in1 isn't being detected at all, DS detects other gba carts fine.

edit: ok, time to contact DealExtreme, thanks for the help Buchanandorf and Notebook!

MP*DeafRei fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 2, 2009

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

MP*DeafRei posted:

Yeah the "EZFlash 3-in-1 Memory Expansion Pack for NDS Lite" got it from DealExtreme when they were I think $20 around Christmas.

I need to put a microcard inside of the EZFlash?

edit: just to clarify the Cyclo works fine, I'm playing Nethack on it right now. What I'm trying to do now is get this brand new EZFlash cart to work at all.

Get an RMA and send it back to DealExtreme. They're very fast with their customer support. Their shipping could be faster, though..

When you get the replacement, load up GBA Exploader and see if it says 3-in-1 or New3-in-1 at the top. If the former, it's an old hardware batch and probably also defective. New3-in-1 is what you want to see.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Notebook posted:

Get an RMA and send it back to DealExtreme. They're very fast with their customer support. Their shipping could be faster, though..

But at least it's free!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Can anyone confirm good luck with a CycloDS and an 8GB SDHC? Newegg has an 8 GB card on sale. I've heard some sdhc readers have problems with anything above 4GB, and want a little reassurance.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What's the best place to buy a 3-in-1 that isn't DealExtreme? I got two bad units in a row from them, and I'd like to buy from a place where I'm guaranteed to get one of the new models that actually works properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

boo_radley posted:

Can anyone confirm good luck with a CycloDS and an 8GB SDHC? Newegg has an 8 GB card on sale. I've heard some sdhc readers have problems with anything above 4GB, and want a little reassurance.

I got this one for christmas and it's worked perfectly with my cyclo DS.
It's class 6 and cheaper too.

• Locked thread