Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«83 »
katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Sealed brand new MacBook Pro.

17 inches; 2.6Ghz with 3 years Apple Care (until October 2011)

Reason for sale: I don't need it, it is too big for my needs anyhow.

Pictures:

Click here for the full 800x320 image.

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

(All the specs)

(Apple Care)

(Sealed, and I'd prefer to keep it that way; I haven't tested it but the thing is brand new; I don't see how there could be ANY problem with it.)

I will consider any reasonable offer. If you have any questions, you can ask here or PM me. I'm not in a big hurry to sell it or anything and if there's no interest I'll just throw it on eBay.

Depending on price I get for it I may or may not include a copy of Final Cut Studio 2, original, also sealed, never registered. This can also be sold seperately if someone is interested.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mod Note: It's best to read the whole thread for 100% enjoyment. If you want a summary see Brother Jonathan's post here. Continued here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...1#post354241185

If you do neither and ask for a summary anyway, you'll be put on probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theitguys
Nov 23, 2005

Does this model have the multi-touch?

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Yes, it does. Weird at first if you're not used to it, but once you are... it does wonders.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

What are you asking for it?

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Don't really have an asking price... As long as it's not ridiculous, I'll consider any serious offer.

Pootify
Dec 31, 2005

Little. Green. Different.

I'll offer 1500

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

I'll go for it if you're willing to do 2300.

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

I know this will seem retarded... What use will you make of it? At that price you could very well just buy and resell, and still make a profit... Insurance money (yay fire) "paid" for it, so I'll make a profit no matter what.

I might consider $2300 plus shipping, as long as I don't see it on eBay in a week from now.

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Shameless bump.

SLoW
Nov 14, 2006

You're a ducky!

katoplastik posted:

I know this will seem retarded... What use will you make of it? At that price you could very well just buy and resell, and still make a profit... Insurance money (yay fire) "paid" for it, so I'll make a profit no matter what.

I might consider $2300 plus shipping, as long as I don't see it on eBay in a week from now.

So insurance paid for it, but you didn't actually lose it? Isn't that insurance fraud?

If you want to make sure it goes to a good home though, I'll take it for $500 and I promise to take good care of it, pet it everyday, and send you pictures of it celebrating various holidays.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SLoW posted:

So insurance paid for it, but you didn't actually lose it? Isn't that insurance fraud?

If you want to make sure it goes to a good home though, I'll take it for $500 and I promise to take good care of it, pet it everyday, and send you pictures of it celebrating various holidays.

I'm guessing he had a laptop that cost somewhere around there when he bought it and insurance paid him that sum for it. He never said he didn't lose a laptop in the fire, he just said he doesn't need this one. He probably needed the receipt as part of the claim though. And now that he doesn't need it, he wants to sell it off and use the money on something that her perhaps didn't lose.

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

SLoW posted:

I lost an iMac, had my MacBook with me when the fire happened. Decided to upgrade the MacBook since I was not home a lot... but 17", after some thought, is clearly not very convenient for me, but it's here now, so yeah. Maybe I happen to have a very lenient insurance guy who also happens to be a friend of mine, but I wouldn't consider this a fraud, although, I might be wrong?

And although the prospect of getting pictures of it dressed up as Santa on Christimas sounds really exciting... I'll have to say no to your offer, thanks, though.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

katoplastik posted:

It wouldn't go to ebay, I could make a profit buying and selling, but I could also get a very good deal keeping it for myself. Especially considering my current laptop is a PowerBook G4. Then again, I should probably just be buying a cheapass Vista machine considering the state of my bank account, but it's still vaguely interesting.

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Purple posted:

It wouldn't go to ebay, I could make a profit buying and selling, but I could also get a very good deal keeping it for myself. Especially considering my current laptop is a PowerBook G4. Then again, I should probably just be buying a cheapass Vista machine considering the state of my bank account, but it's still vaguely interesting.
Well, you let me know. I feel bad that you'll go from a Powerbook to a Vista machine, though.

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Well, after having it up on Craigslist as well, it looks as though $2,000 seems like a reasonable (for the buyer mostly) price, so if anyone is interested here for that much, it's yours.

Thought I'd try eBay but their fees are ridiculous.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

katoplastik posted:

Well, after having it up on Craigslist as well, it looks as though $2,000 seems like a reasonable (for the buyer mostly) price, so if anyone is interested here for that much, it's yours.

Thought I'd try eBay but their fees are ridiculous.

I could do 1900 for this, I know its lower than what you wanted but yeah. Let me know if you are interested

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Actually, I can do $2000, but I'd need to talk with you about it. Check with me on AIM

katoplastik
Dec 31, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Well, looks like it found a nice home.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

It's been two weeks and no tracking number or shipment

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Bump for mods. You paid in full melee but he screwed you over?

Hello Buddy
Feb 28, 2004
e-penis--

Oh my goodness...

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Ok, so after posting this a few people have messaged me/IMed about it. I don't feel like its a scam, but if it isn't here on Monday, that will be 14 business days since the OP said it was shipped. I've sent a few emails inquiring about the tracking number but haven't gotten any responses since the 11th. So, if it isn't here by Monday, I am going to get a little more aggressive.

E: OP said it was shipped from Canada via Canada Post on the 7th of November, and general shipping time from Canada to the US generally takes two business weeks, no? Or should I be worried?

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Canada does suck, yes. I usually give things from anywhere outside the US a very generous 20 days.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

DarkestLite posted:

Canada does suck, yes. I usually give things from anywhere outside the US a very generous 20 days.

I'm on the OP's side regarding the shipping for now. But without a tracking number, I don't have full confidence

Edit: 20 mail days (6 days a week here) or 20 days?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

I'm on the OP's side regarding the shipping for now. But without a tracking number, I don't have full confidence

Edit: 20 mail days (6 days a week here) or 20 days?

Generally 2-3 weeks, 6 business shipping days. If he's not responding and did not send a tracking number, I would be concerned. It's a bit sketchy to sell a high end item through the internet and not be concerned with it's whereabouts, if you're not intending on scamming.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Shmoogy posted:

Generally 2-3 weeks, 6 business shipping days. If he's not responding and did not send a tracking number, I would be concerned. It's a bit sketchy to sell a high end item through the internet and not be concerned with it's whereabouts, if you're not intending on scamming.

I understand, but I don't want to start screaming scam when it could be stuck in customs or something. It "went out" on the 7th.

ThePure
Aug 18, 2008

I shipped something to Japan, and it took 2 weeks alone to clear customs. Those bastards. Wait another week, then go out and right the OP.

tomas_texino
Jun 12, 2007

Is there a way to back track through UPS? It seems they would have the shipping info if something was sent to your address. I'm sorry not to know more detail, but if it shipped, the shipping outfit will have the information. I suggest calling 1-800-782-7892 which is the international package division. Best of luck.

TT

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Canada Post has a number of services for parcels cross border to the USA

http://canadapost.ca/Personal/Produ...ervices.aspx#US

The service used will be either priority, xpresspost or expedited parcel all of which have an "item number" that you can enter into the tracking page here:

http://canadapost.ca/Personal/Tools...ItemSingle.aspx

My experience with Priority and xpresspost is a 2 day delivery time frame. Expedited can take about 6 days but I shipped a hdd to a goon in arizona once and it took 2 weeks.

Why is the sender keeping the item number to themselves?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

tomas_texino posted:

Is there a way to back track through UPS? It seems they would have the shipping info if something was sent to your address. I'm sorry not to know more detail, but if it shipped, the shipping outfit will have the information. I suggest calling 1-800-782-7892 which is the international package division. Best of luck.

TT

It was sent via Canada Post, so it would be in USPS hands.

Septimus posted:

Canada Post has a number of services for parcels cross border to the USA

http://canadapost.ca/Personal/Produ...ervices.aspx#US

The service used will be either priority, xpresspost or expedited parcel all of which have an "item number" that you can enter into the tracking page here:

http://canadapost.ca/Personal/Tools...ItemSingle.aspx

My experience with Priority and xpresspost is a 2 day delivery time frame. Expedited can take about 6 days but I shipped a hdd to a goon in arizona once and it took 2 weeks.

Why is the sender keeping the item number to themselves?

I think it went expedited (I didn't pay extra for shipping). I don't know why I haven't received a tracking/item number yet.

Jul 21, 2001

Jesus, potential insurance fraud, possible SA Mart scam...what a profitable fire! (hmm, wonder if the FD checked for accelerants...)

Can't imagine why you wouldn't have a tracking number, though. Best of luck.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

yikes, hope this gets resolved.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Nothing today

Edit: Dispute filed

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at Nov 24, 2008 around 22:47

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Mod of Sales or Mod for Sale, you be the judge...

Pmed OP waiting on a reply.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Pmed OP waiting on a reply.

Thank you; I escalated the claim in paypal, and I'm hoping that gets me somewhere.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Where in Canada does he live?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where in Canada does he live?

I think it was coming from Montreal

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I was doing shipping at Canada Post today and asked the woman a couple of questions.
I asked if every package that came out of Canada to the US needed a tracking number. She said all of them come with a # except for the lowest form of mail. She says that is kind of slow and should take 3 weeks tops. I'd wait at least that and then contact the authorities.

As soon as he sees that you're serious about getting the money back, (and regardless what people think here, it's quite easy to get the police involved) you'll be in the clear.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I was doing shipping at Canada Post today and asked the woman a couple of questions.
I asked if every package that came out of Canada to the US needed a tracking number. She said all of them come with a # except for the lowest form of mail. She says that is kind of slow and should take 3 weeks tops. I'd wait at least that and then contact the authorities.

As soon as he sees that you're serious about getting the money back, (and regardless what people think here, it's quite easy to get the police involved) you'll be in the clear.

I appreciate the inside info. I've escalated the claim with paypal to try and get a tracking number (if the package was actually shipped), but not hearing from the seller since the 11th is kind of discouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drsynister
Jul 22, 2007
post no bills

melee beats posted:

I think it was coming from Montreal

im in montreal. gimme his coordinates and ill go over to break his legs if you want

«83 »