Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Where in Canada does he live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I was doing shipping at Canada Post today and asked the woman a couple of questions.
I asked if every package that came out of Canada to the US needed a tracking number. She said all of them come with a # except for the lowest form of mail. She says that is kind of slow and should take 3 weeks tops. I'd wait at least that and then contact the authorities.

As soon as he sees that you're serious about getting the money back, (and regardless what people think here, it's quite easy to get the police involved) you'll be in the clear.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

The OP said they worked at that university, though. I don't know. I am afraid to go out and buy another laptop (I need one to work on music) because it might still show up.

Whatever you do, and this is obviously your choice, don't let someone else get the better of you, especially when it's for something as large as 2 grand. It'll be quite easy to find at --least-- his name - from there contact the Uni and police letting them know what's been going on. Keep your conversations with him and have it all ready. I say if this package doesn't show up in 2 more weeks you're officially being scammed.

Actually, take that back - you are being scammed. The guy hasn't even contacted you for over 2 weeks. There's nothing in the world that could keep a guy away from the computer for 2 weeks knowing in the back of his head that he has an extra 2 grand in his bank account.

Unless he's dead. That'd suck.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
There's also no such law as theft under 2,000 now. The lowest is theft under 5.

I don't know if that's for Montreal as well, but Ontario has it. That's a blemish. Plus other fines that I'm sure come along with that - I'm no lawyer.

If you ever have any questions about Canada Post I can help out as I'm there basically every day.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I think paypal will even take the money from an account with $0 in it and let it go into the negative and then let the bank deal with it.

This is 100% true. I sent someone on SA Mart 200 US dollars and put in my credit card info. I must have missed the checkbox that asks if I want to charge it directly to my credit card, or try my bank account first. The bank account I have tied to PayPal had around 15 bucks in it.

Next day comes, buddy says he has the money, I check my bank online like I do every morning, bam, account in the negative. It's weird because that account doesn't even have overdraft protection - I have a feeling I'll be hit with some kind of NSF fund from the bank because of this.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Contacted the police about these matters. Will keep you updated as to what happens. Apparently this is something that can land a person in jail, that I did not know.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
:(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

I wouldn't know the least bit about filing charges in Canada. I would imagine that the associated cost would be pretty high.

Also, if any goons that have completed transactions with the OP and want to share the shipping address it could prove useful

This is the problem with most of the Goons. They seem to get scammed and are happy when the person gets banned. Why the gently caress not go for blood? It's as simple as calling your local police station, let them know what happened and all the other scams this guy has been pulling, then give all the information you can, then let them do the rest. I already have the police going after another bloke on SA Mart and it took me 15 minutes and I didn't have to leave my house - if that's not a Goon way of doing something, I don't know what is.

gently caress, put 0/1 beside your phone and when you finish, add your achievement points

edit: And hey, you get your money back! WOW!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Living one province over, I can tell you that Montreal can speak English. Especially the police.

That address and name is all you need. Simply telling them that this guy/girl has been scamming money out of multiple people, perhaps give them the other people's contact information, and they will do something about it almost immediately.

The reason why the police wont do something immediately is when you're dealing with more foreign countries. I tried to get my money back from someone in China and was basically told to just forget about it. Someone then tried to scam me in the US and let's just say that I've saved a lot of other people hassle for what I did to him.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

She is actually in Quebec City. Does that harm my chances? I was talking to Shmoogy over AIM, I should just fly out there and be like "Hey I want my laptop." God, that would be invigorating.
Harm chances as in the language barrier? Nope.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

Ok, I'll have to call over tomorrow and get the process started. I should document all of this and become a Youtube star

You'll be my internet hero.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ease posted:

We need a goon from Quebec City to go video tape her getting cuffed. Like what happened to this guy :
http://www.fquick.com/blog/Internet_Wins__Stolen_Skyline_GT-R_Recovered/1540

Also in canada.

That's awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You know how you said you got the transaction info from another Goon? Did the Goon end up shipping the item? Basically what I'm wondering is if this was actually delivered to someone.

edit: here's another post where she talks about canadian snacks:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2926723&pagenumber=4

and here's one where she lists off the uni's and colleges that she knows about in montreal:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2954890

She's def. trying to steer people away with that US info.

AND THIS IS ALL YOU NEED:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2743943&userid=32553

She did the Snail Mail Goons thing and has both sent and received presents from diff Goons. I love how her first post is edited saying her place in Montreal burned down.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Homie S posted:

Maybe I'm being too :tinfoil: about this, but perhaps you might consider not talking about your movements in this thread. She isn't banned, she can still see the thread, and might be taking steps to get rid of evidence of some sort.

Yea okay it's pretty :tinfoil:

There really isn't anything she can delete that will save her. This thread is enough. He'll have records of sending money and not getting anything back. He'll have records of giving her time but her never responding. SomethingAwful has records of where she lives, what she looks like, and it's all publicly documented, we didn't hack into her personal files or do anything illegal - she chose to give up that information, including her mailing address to the Snail Mail Goons thing.

She's hosed.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

I don't want to give out the information because that might actually hurt my case here, but the university that she teaches at is 24km away from the shipping address I was given. I am having a hard time believing that someone would try and scam with so much information available, but hey, I guess that is her prerogative.

She most likely never dreamed of doing it, and built up posts through the years slowly letting people know more about her in such stupid threads like Snail Mail where you're just throwing your mailing address out there, and then just didn't really think things through, or better yet, thought that Goons wouldn't do anything and thought she could take you for a ride.

I have a feeling this is going to set a new standard for selling, you wouldn't wanna get Katoplastered :P

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

geetee posted:

Lots of quotes

She's loving boned man.

edit: And what the gently caress is up with her last.fm account:

Paul McCartney - Calico Skies being played constantly all night yesterday

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 7, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know why they gently caress you'd want to be distributing nudes guys. This is about him getting his stuff back the LEGAL way.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ShowTime posted:

So yea, nothing will happen unless she breaks a forum rule.

Sorry, but there's been tons of bans just from someone being scammed.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Your best bet is to just go with the Montreal address. Someone there will obviously know where she is, and then it's very simple after that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Any updates?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You guys talking about the nudes seriously need a loving girlfriend. Jesus, she's not even hot.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
For matters like these I don't see the reason to stoop to their level.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone who thinks taking pictures of her house or distributing nude pictures of her are no better than her and really need to grow up. Things like this are very childish and the actual authorities would think of you as wreckless and stupid.

My girlfriend's step-father is a police officer about an hour and a half from where I live. (Cobourg area) I called him up yesterday and gave him this chick's information, along with the "wait what" guy from the other thread. I thought asking someone in the police force would get you guys some more attention to these matters. He said he'd forward it on to some other division (forgot the name) and said that she will be brought to justice if people persist.

Rest be sured that I worked with the police in the past and while they have other important things to do, you call back every once in a while to follow up - just like a job interview. If you mention it once to them they will most likely not do anything about it if it's small-scale.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ease posted:

This is something awful. Don't we all need to grow up? Are you a real 07 or a rereg?

I don't really know how to reply to this - I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. And yeah, I'm a rereg from 06, not like it matters though?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Hey Melee, glad to hear you at least got a Mac out of the whole thing ;)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

melee beats posted:

:) I was just happy that I could play Left4Dead for like 20 minutes

lol mac gaming

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Took me a long time to find where this thread went to...you have to keep us updated now as to what the police are going to tell ya!

All the best Melee.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fox1 posted:

We should at least do something. This is GBS after all.

I posted originally when things turned sour about how I have gone through the whole process and had the person charged. Me keeping professional was a real saving grace as judges and the police force don't look kindly into taking matters into your own hands. Toying with people using their personal information can come around and bite you in the rear end, so just don't loving do it.

Again, like I said many pages back before it went to GBS, online shopping has passed its infancy and now seems to be in its teens - you can still get away with poo poo, but you can also get burned quite bad. Until it reaches its adult stage (I'm guessing when our generation comes into power and we all have a full understanding on how online shopping works) then we will have to deal with people getting away.

Sometimes this will simply go on their record, like outstanding tickets, and this chick will think she got away until a cop pulls her over for something completely different, runs her name and finds out she also has a file on her for internet fraud.

I don't think moving this to GBS is the greatest idea, as it could hinder his case. If I was the OP and I wanted retribution I would ask to have the post taken down and keep all further information and leads between himself and the police. I understand a lot of Goons can help, but more of them have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Goons, I just received new orders. Our superiors say the scam is cancelled. We can all go home. Katoplastik is getting paid off for her crimes, and our friend who has been scammed here will have been scammed for nothing. But we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideals like honesty, integrity and justice, they get packed up. But we can all go home.

Well I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up river, and I'm going to kick that bitch's rear end so hard that the next SAmart wannabe scammer is gonna feel it! Now, who wants to go home, and who wants to go with me?

yeah bro

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

duckspeakeasy posted:

This thread has been a great read, I chatted with this gal once from the chat thread and she seemed off kilter.

Since it seems half the posters in this thread are probably Kato, probably all Canadian goons should be banned.... Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

Was going to make a witty retort about your lovely spelling of the word "omelet" but apparently you can spell it that way. We also call our napkins "serviettes" sometimes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Screwball posted:

The translated article...
(if the translator wishes to come forward it's up to them)

Here's the finished product:

Friday, November 24 2006

Guitar-assisted fraud
By: G** B*******

A 28 year old Quebec woman knew exactly how to tempt a guitar collector from Toronto. M******** G***** tapped a Toronto resident for a total of $10,000.

The woman had put on sale on a website guitars from a collection that, she said, had belonged to her father. Photos on the website really showed valuable musical instruments, said the prosecuting attourney.

Master1 N******* C******** specified that the seller and the collector exchanged several emails before settling on the price of $10,000 for one of the guitars. So, the Toronto resident sent the money to Ms. G*****.

But, the instrument was never sent to her because the seller owned nothing but pictures of guitars. This false sale was worth a charge of fraud, for which she was sentenced yesterday to a penalty of 18 months of community service.2

Notes:
1) Lawyers in Quebec go by the title "Maitrê," meaning "Master." Despite the title, N******* C******** is a woman.
2) Not entirely sure that I translated "community service" correctly. Might mean something else.

Unless something big comes up, I'm done with this thread.

Before I go, I'd just like to say that you're loving retarded, you know why you're retarded, please stop posting about this drivel because regardless, if you're her or her friend or just no one, why would you go on about this for so long? Something is fishy and you're being way too nice for this to be real.

If something doesn't make sense then it's not true

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just call her parents? You obviously have their info now from that internet dating creep who talks about marriage to someone he's never met.

Also, whatever the gently caress your name is, why would you go to her house, have someone tell you she's not there, and then literally walk past the brother and start searching the house? That's incredibly illegal and I'm surprised you would even mention something as slimy as that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Canadian stereotypes aside, because drat there`s a lot of wrong ones, I can`t believe the only reason her parents haven`t been called is because you think they can`t speak English...Jesus Murphy..everyone speaks English in Quebec, they just might not choose to. I haven`t taken French since grade school, but something along the lines of

hey your daughter has stolen over 2 thousand dollars from people on the internet, i have called the police and given them your information - where is your daughter so she doesn`t get into more trouble

I also talked to a police officer yesterday night and matters like this are taken up by the FBI all the time. Also call phonebusters. They were used back in the day for telephone scams but now deal with internet scams.

Sorry, some of my keys on my keyboard like quotes and question marks sudenly give me ` and É respectively.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
And last thing to that bedking guy, the officer is right beside me now and what you described is a criminal offense you weirdo :) She could have called the police!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fremry posted:

I didn't mean morally kosher, I meant "you won't get arrested because nothing illegal occurred" kosher.

I go to someone's house unannounced, ask to see the person. That's legal.
I am told she's not ready yet, asked to wait, that's legal.
Find out she's just not coming down, there's nothing you can do about it, leave.

Everything else past that point is illegal. You can't go inside, you CERTAINLY can't start looking through a house (Jesus, you went into multiple rooms?) and then you told the kid he needed to e-mail you a picture of his sister before you'd leave.

Is this making any sense or did I log into some kind of bizzarro world?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fremry posted:

Tell me what law is being broken?

Breaking and entering? Nope, the kid opened the door.

Criminal trespassing? Nope, no one ever asked him to leave.

Can you come up with something else?

As long as a person who resides in that house knew what was occurring and allowed it to, it's not illegal.

Edit: It's weird, creepy and stalkerish, but it's not illegal.

Like I said before, my girlfriend's step-dad is a police officer in Cobourg, Ontario. He just left about 5 minutes ago with my girlfriend for Christmas. He read your post and simply stated that you "have no idea what you're talking about".

Call a police station yourself and find out!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Godholio posted:

Fine, its illegal as gently caress, have your step dad go back in time and arrest him. Next topic to troll?

I actually was in the thread from the beginning showing him options on how to get this chick, as I've had to do this exact same thing in the past..although my scammer was charged. Not trying to troll whatsoever, there's just lots of people who think being an internet detective/lawyer comes naturally with the $10 subscription to this site.

A lot of people who are looking into this matter too much don't realize how much damage it could possibly do to him. Melee Beats can't keep track of 50 people all doing their own work, messaging random people and trying to socially engineer other people to track this person down. That's why we have a police force. They don't look fondly on people taking matters into their own hands, as a lot of the time it's not the legal way to do things.

I'd love for the thread to stay open and this person gets caught, but there's some stories stemming from this thread that make me feel uneasy about even giving out my e-mail address.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 23, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
he's loving serious hit THE DECK

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
PayPal will try to take the money from Katoplastic's account, like mentioned above. If she has her bank account registered with them, they will simply withdraw the funds from it and put her into overdraft if they have to. PayPal is now happy, and the bank will be after Kato, most likely placing some kind of NSF fine every day. She can choose to ignore that and never be able to get a bank account again, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

da anime bulldog posted:

After reading the entirety of this thread, I found this to be among the funniest things we've found in her writings:

lol

For people who can't speak French, "I'm not complicated"