Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
Is "Looking For Jake" worthwhile? I've enjoyed Perdido, The Scar, and Iron Council so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
My college has a massive literary database, and as a distraction from one of my papers I started to type in the titles of some of my favorite books. I actually found a 21-page critical essay on Perdido Street Station from Science Fiction Studies - Volume 30. It's titled "Hybridity, Heterotopia, and Mateship in China Mieville" by Joan Gordon. It's very well written (page-long bibliography), and it's nice to see such a scholarly analysis on a book I feel really deserves it.

Here's the introductory paragraph...

quote:

Ever since its publication in 2000, China Mieville's Ferdido Street Station has been a wonderful stimulus to the ongoing conversation of science fiction. Much of that conversation has centered around the novel's defiant unclassifiability. Is it fantasy? Horror? Science fiction? Steampunk? Weird fiction? Which is it?' All of them, of course, and in a complex conversation with one another. This article is itself part of the conversation, which is to say that, while my discussion will be extensive, it cannot be exhaustive, and it will suggest many further paths for the conversation to take. First, I plan to consider the ways in which Perdido Street Station exhibits its hybridity, by torturing the biological model and connecting notions of hybridity to those ofthe grotesque. Then I will consider how Perdido Street Station can be considered a heterotopia, starting from Foucault's usage and extending it a little bit. Finally, I want to see how its ideas of hybridity and heterotopia develop the friendly networks of the novel-its exploration of mateship. Thus, hybridity, heterotopia, and mateship-or farmings Foucault, and friends, as Mieville suggested (personal correspondence). These three paths form an interconnected and dynamic network, and this essay forms an exploration meant to be generative rather than complete.

Also, thanks for the Looking for Jake recommendation. I got it for Christmas today and am really enjoying it. Merriest to all of you.

Pious Pete fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 26, 2008

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Hedrigall posted:

This is the coolest loving thing ever, there is now a stage adaptation of The City & the City. It opens at the end of this month in Chicago. I would give anything to see it but I'm on the wrong continent :(

Holy hell. I love everything about this. I work in new play development here in the states... I'll see if I can pull any strings and get a hold of a production script. If anything happens I'll make sure to let folks know.