Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Just wanting to chime in: I've read the Bas-Lag novels as well as UnLunDun - now looking for copies of the rest of China's books.

I've recently started Stephen Hunt's "Court of the Air", which strikes me as a YA cross between Philip Pullman and China Mieville and is currently scratching my Bas-Lag itch.

Anyone else read this? The basic premise of the book can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Court_of_the_Air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

freebooter posted:

The Court of the Air is loving terrible. It's a ridiculous, bloated mess of a book that makes very little coherent sense. Hunt has a good imagination but he just crams as much poo poo in as possible with no idea of pacing or flow. Towards the end I had no idea who was doing what, and I no longer cared. It was like watching the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. He's no China Mieville, and he's definitely no Philip Pullman.

Fair call - it was lacking in the character development, but in terms of an action-packed storyline you can hardly fault it. Look at it from the perspective of a young teen though and you'll find it ticks all the right boxes :)

I'd rather my kids read that than left behind or something...

Plus it'll get them ready for the kick in the pants of Pullman, then all the rest that follow!

I'll admit I had trouble keeping track of all the characters, but it got me through my boring daily commute. And THAT is all that matters...