Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It looks like this thread is turning into a PYF Bas-Lag novel, so I'll have to chip in and say I prefer The Scar. The writing is really powerful in that one. I loved all the passages in which sea, waves, currents, ships and other maritime topics were described in great detail. Most of the times I can't stand descriptions in literature.

I also love the post-apocalyptic mood of Bas-Lag evoked by evident technological decline, or lack of historical records for events as important as the Khepri exodus.

Some of these days I'm even going to reread IC for the first time. I hope I'll find the ideological aspect more palatable. It's not that I have something against Marxism. It's just that I find some of the political issues explored in IC somehow too close to our reality and they ruin my immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

When the body of a murdered woman is found in the extraordinary, decaying city of Bes el, somewhere at the edge of Europe, it looks like a routine case for Inspector Tyador Borlu of the Extreme Crime Squad. But as he probes, the evidence begins to point to conspiracies far stranger, and more deadly, than anything he could have imagined. Soon his work puts him and those he cares for in danger. Borlu must travel to the only metropolis on Earth as strange as his own, across a border like no other. With shades of Kafka and Philip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and 1984 , "The City & The City" is a murder mystery taken to dazzling metaphysical and artistic heights.

:psyduck: That blurb is exceptionally badly written.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

I stopped reading Iron Council because people lugging a train around by pulling up the tracks behind it and laying them in front of it for no reason whatsoever that I can discern was effing ridiculous.

But it's a metaphor for cyclical unemployment of the lumpenproletariat! Or something. Honestly, I hated that concept as well and couldn't finish the book although Scar is one of my favorite fantasy novels.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Squidbeak posted:

I could be wrong, but in The Scar didn't the Grindylow chew big gashes in the Avanc or some such that made it sick?

That is correct.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

What the hell is "ambient marketing"?

It's when advertisers place their messages in outdoor/indoor locations other than traditional billboards and similar. You know, like spray painting brands on pavements and stuff.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

boxen posted:

Ugh. I just finished Perdido Street Station. I think it's easily one of the most frustrating books I've ever read. It feels like two or three unfinished short stories, half a dozen half-baked ideas, and an ending like a pile of poo poo hitting concrete. The only character I had any interest in by the end of the book was the damned Weaver, only because of the insane ramblings. I read (well, listened to an audiobook) of Kraken before this, and thought it was alright.

ugh. So much wasted time.

I bought "The City & The City" at the same time as PSS, is that one any better or am I just better off leaving that on the shelf?

It is so utterly different you'd have a hard time guessing it was written by the same author. It has a tighter narrative than PSS, if that's what you're looking for. It's closer to "literature" than what is commonly called "fantasy", more Saramago than Tolkien. So give it a chance.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, Embassytown is a classic, up there with Dune and stuff, IMO. Although I removed it from my must read fic list on Goodreads because it kept drawing silly recommendations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

The only people who say this are commie scum.

(I agree btw)

I'm not even a communist but that book really grew on me and now I think it's the best one. Actually, it's probably the best contemporary fantasy novel.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

Everyone who says it does so with so much conviction that I feel like I must be wrong. I like the scar best. Then pss. I didn't particularly enjoy iron council.

Not too long ago, I used to be like you. Then I reread IC.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Well, I have black friends and they say

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I would like to announce a change of position. I no longer consider Scar to be the best Bas-Lag novel. After careful deliberation I have switched over to Iron Council.

Embassytown is still the best Mieville overall and one of the finest recent sci-fi novels. That is all, thank you for reading.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Care to elaborate? I always considered IC the weakest of the three.

It kind of grew on me. I realized I actually liked all the pronounced political stuff, especially the themes of imperialism and the subjugation of the natives. Especially when the natives are as mysterious and strange as the Stiltspear.
Another thing that really works for me is the entire western style vibe surrounding the Council itself.
Mieville's writing also feels more mature than in PSS. The whole underground political scene of New Crobuzon is also very interesting to me.
And finally, it has the best ending of the three books.
I still think Scar has very strong elements, but is failed by some of the over exaggerated characters such as Uther Doul and the Lovers and, ultimately, sunk (lol) by its weak ending.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’ve always imagined Breach as the CDA and thought Mieville was ripping off Monsters, Inc.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Spoiler alert! the spectre is communism

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Neither Marxism nor capitalism are really ideologies, HTH

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I want Robert Sheehan to play Brucolac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Iron Council is the best, although a bit Trotskyist. I’ve read Scar first, enjoyed all three. Don’t be afraid and just dive into Bas-Lag, it’s one of the truly unique and weird fantasy settings.