Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Started reading Perdido Street Station because of this thread.

Was very close to dropping it for the first 100 pages or so, and I'm still a little bit irked by the scatalogical bent to the prose (seriously, is anything in New Crobuzon not "spattered" in one way or another?). But man, that poo poo picked up good when that cocoon hatched. Very big fan of the ideas he throws around, Slake Moths and Weaver in particular. Going to read his short story collection next (when I get around to his next book) before I go on to The Scar. Guy's not a bad author, and definitely knows where the sick-trigger is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Even the end of the first one? Christ.

Double Deus Ex Machina I've hunted for thousands of miles to come to you now at Exactly The Right Time so that there's nothing redeeming about this ending.

Enjoy cleaning up after the making GBS threads bug-soul-cripple that the moth wanted to feed on over Motley (going against everything we've been told about how they're attracted to those they've been in proximity to) whilst the Plot Spider sat outside and doop-a-derped.
for not much of a pay-off.

My interest and enjoyment of the book was p. much a bell curve. Does The Scar improve on this?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
1 is dreadful, 2 is meh, 3 is great, 4 is awkward, 5 is good.

I mean, I don't even like Mieville very much but if that's the worst the book has to offer then I'll probably library it up when it hits my local.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Picked up Looking For Jake from my local library the other day and The Familiar is body horror at it's best. Fantastic. I love his view of our world as something tenuously perched on top of limitless gothic horror and weirdness.