Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I wish I could read the Bas-Lag trilogy for the first time again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
He.. has a girlfriend :cry:

qwako
Sep 11, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

On first reading, it seems like there are a lot of things he handwaves away so that he can set things up the way he wants, like [END OF THE BOOK] it not being "polite" to ask if Hosts see non-ambassadors as people or what, or the reveal about 3/4 of the way through that Embassytown is actually a strategic linchpin for future exploration.

end
Its not just that its not polite there is also no motivation for an ambassador to find that out. The hosts thinking them the only ones having a full conciousness is only a good thing and they have got no reason to want to change that

3/4
this wasnt completely out of the blue we know that the planet is on the very edge of the explored universe and is run by Bremen a big ruling power we also know that there is a lighthouse in the sky nearby (i think) when this was revealed i had a lil 'ah that makes sense moment'

also yeah, read the book twice now im a huge fan its 'cleaner' than PSS in that theres not as much chinastuff going on but it feels lot more bas-lag-like than the books he has written since i just wish it was the length of PSS

qwako
Sep 11, 2009

systran posted:

Basically, if you can make the leap that there would be SOMETHING in the Host's brain that was very picky about what it processed as language, the whole thing can hold up pretty well. Keep in mind that Language for them was instinct (unlike human language where we have an instinct to learn a language, but we have to still acquire it). This would make Language much more a part of their biology and defends the idea that their brains would be much more critical of what is and is not Language.

IIRC when the hosts grow into their second or third stage they automatically know Language which suggests to me at least that something biological clicks in their brain giving them access to Language compared to a human who has to be taught how to speak etc

edit: VVV yeah i was adding a bit about when they learn to speak :)

qwako fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2011

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Some huge article by China about "the future of the novel" http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/21/china-mieville-the-future-of-the-novel