Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Saerdna posted:

I thought TC&TC was a fun read, although pretty badly written. It seems like China is never sure what voice to use in any of his books and always picks one that is never quite natural. I really liked that there was nothing supernatural, although it took some suspension of disbelief to accept this city could ever exist - it would have been pretty easy to cross from one city to the other without being detected, and smugglers especially would have done it all the time with impunity, and people would commit crimes in one city and then go back to their own to evade police all the time as well.

By my read, Mieville is obviously interested in hidden social control - look at the militia from the first two Bas Lag books. He likes the idea that hidden spooky forces can force people to police themselves much more strongly than open and overt forces, and I think that this book is him taking that idea and pushing it as far as he can. So it's deliberately pretty out there in terms of whether it would happen in reality. On the other hand, the idea of unseeing things that don't fit into your world can be read as a pretty drat vicious criticism of the way that most of us go about our normal daily lives in urban areas, and I don't think it's too off beat. I think he wants us to ask how many different cities we live next to and don't see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Oasx posted:

Just finished TC&TC, at first i was a little disappointed that there was no fantastic element, just because i have come to expect that from Miéville, but i was pretty happy with it at the end, interesting premise.

Breach confused me though There just seemed to few members of Breach and their resources were too mundane, it didnt seem to me that the book explained how they were able to keep watch on everything, or how they could suddenly appear out of nowhere when someone breached.

They appear out of nowhere because they've perfected that manner of walking that makes everyone assume they belong to the other city and so they're unseen. I guess they somehow drop that when they want to "phase in" to one city versus another. As for the coverage, I think he did some hand-waving there. There are a couple of lines about Breach having a lot of cameras and such, but it's never really addressed much.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

soag.242 posted:

Getting a major Pratchett vibe from this.

Pratchett-esque humour coming from Mieville would be pretty much the best thing ever.

It also sounds to me like a weird version of Foucault's Pendulum. Which is also awesome.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Turpitude posted:

Definitely, I would say the whole Greenhouse sequence in Perdido was a huge wink to Aliens. I enjoyed much of the book in the same spirit!

King Rat is great I agree, I also enjoyed how about half the book is this giant chase scene. It's a very fun and quick read.

Personally, I can't stand King Rat. The basic idea is fun, but it's too obviously some kind of weird fanfic to the 90's rave scene. The surprise "In drum and bass, you don't dance to the melody. You dance to the BASS" bit made me roll my eyes so hard they almost fell out of my head. It just seemed like an extension of the weird self-importance that people really really into a music scene often develop.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Iacen posted:

I'm planning on getting either The Kraken or The city and The City.
Compared to Iron Council, how was City?

It's a totally different book - it's China trying to play with hardboiled detective fiction, and it's not set in New Crobuzon or anything. It's a low slower-paced than the Bas Lag books, and it has a totally different feel to it. I think The Kraken sounds like it's closer in style to his earlier work, but ultimately the question of whether TC&TC is something you'd like or not comes down to whether you like the idea of a more sedate and less overtly Weird noir story.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

SaviourX posted:

Planescape is the specific setting for DnD where the planes meet or are explored, and the art style and creatures created for it are echoed quite a bit by what shows up in PSS, that's all.

I don't think it's as much Mieville copying planescape as the fact that planescape comes out of the whole "new weird" zeitgeist that Mieville comes from too. That mix of steampunk and urban settings and hardboiled tropes with fantasy isn't limited to either planescape or Mieville. But he definitely brings in D&D poo poo in Perdido Street Station - look at the "adventurers" who show up towards the end of the book.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

LCQC posted:

Looking For Jake is worth a look if you like short fiction, and it has a range of his styles.

Or even if you don't like short fiction - I typically don't like short stories and particularly anthologies of shorts, but Looking for Jake is an exception for me.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Captain_Indigo posted:

Yeah - it's interesting that people think of PSS as having a 'bad ending' (in terms of outcome rather than quality) because in a way its almost a classic 'good ending' - the bad guy is destroyed by the protagonists, though the gallant hero must pay the ultimate price for his victory. Even Yagharek isn't a bad ending - its just a twist. It is sad that Yag was not the person you thought he was - not sad because he is punished.

I think The Scar has the weakest ending by far - not because it is the 'easiest' ending to swallow, but because, like Oasx said it just feels slightly too contrived. I think China could have included half as much exposition and it would have been brilliant - if Uther said "oh well once this happened I saw my chance and made my move and I was lucky" instead of "I was plotting everything out from months and months ago because I knew you could be the one to do this if this incredibly unlikely series of independent events occurred as planned" I think it would have been a much tighter ending. It's still a great book - but I think its more like a fictional travel companion than a novel.

The interesting thing to me about The Scar is that the ending changes the focus of the book, to me. Instead of being mostly about Bellis and her journey and the things that she sees, it's more a story about Uther Doul and how he responded to what he saw as a threat to his society. To me, the ultimate reveal changes the entire structure of the narrative. I didn't like it at first, because it felt like he pulled the rug out from under me kind of quickly. But in retrospect it's grown on me.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Railsea question:

"That Apt Ohm" feels like it must be a reference to something I'm missing. Given the eventual reveal about the godsquabble and the creditors waiting at the end of the world, I feel like there must be some reference that I'm supposed to get but I can't work it out. What does everyone else think?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Notahippie posted:

Railsea question:

"That Apt Ohm" feels like it must be a reference to something I'm missing. Given the eventual reveal about the godsquabble and the creditors waiting at the end of the world, I feel like there must be some reference that I'm supposed to get but I can't work it out. What does everyone else think?

Holy poo poo, somebody figured out that "That Apt Ohm" is an anagram of Topham Hatt, the controller from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Thanks for that. Never knew much about the money situation for genre writers.
It's still disappointing that top writers in the field like Mieville and Reynolds only make a middle class living.

I'm pretty sure that once you get that famous you have a lot of other potential income streams - speaking fees and teaching classes and that kind of thing. So they're probably doing better than the raw contract for their books would suggest. It's not a great field to go into if you want to be rich, though.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

It's not. It is way more relaxed and less serious than his other books and generally a much more grounded urban fantasy.
King Rat is the terrible one.

King Rat is legit pretty bad.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Mordja posted:

Also, was I the only one who felt faintly embarrassed with the D&B motif?

Not the only one. I thought it was cheesy in general, but the way it was used in the big climactic dance made my roll my eyes so hard they about fell out of my head.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Ceramic Shot posted:

I could be totally wrong on that front, it even might just be basic jealousy on my part. Some of his positions just seem so much like a caricature of Marxism that it sort of sets the spider sense a' tingling in terms of what's motivating it. Sorry if this was a stupid derail!

He has an actual PhD in Economics from LSE with a focus on Marxist theory. He's trained as a purestrain Marxist, and the line between academic Marxism and caricature is sometimes a little blurry. He is pretty heavily involved in more prosaic shoe-leather activism around political issues, though.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't think I'm jumping into Iron Council next. Might knock out another Dark Tower book, because I am a genre baby. Is New Weird as a genre basically dead, or just sort of resting. I'm not really sure what really unifies the movement, because when I looked into The Southern Reach books, they felt pretty far afield.

I think most of the authors most associated with it have slowed down their output, so it's getting a little frayed as a (semi) coherent literary style. I've read some decent books by more novice authors that probably fit, though, so I think that it may be slowly developing as a style of modern Fantasy. None of the following are as good or as multilayered as Mieville, but check out the Library at Mt Char and Archivist Wasp as books that I'd argue fit into the New Weird.

I don't think there's a good manifesto or unifying theme, but for me the central elements are that the books either engage with themes or set pieces which pose fundamental questions about how humans experience the world and how this shapes our attitudes and behavior; or alternately take something that we all experience but express its essence in ways that seem at first completely out of the ordinary (like the Remade discussion above). To me what I like about the movement is that it implicitly critiques the longstanding trend in fantasy and science fiction to just reskin Victorian boy's adventure novels, where everybody is just some variant of a character motivated by easily understandable and usually simplistic motivations. It may just be that as more and more authors write SF or Fantasy, some of the critique that the new weird offers will just be brought into the mainstream of writing and it'll be less coherent as a group of writers.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Ah gently caress, I thought, $6 novella, why not start there. But if I'll appreciate it more down the line, I'll save it.

It's not necessarily bad or even something that requires prior knowledge of Bas-Lag. It's more that it's more "literary" - it takes some work to unpack what the prose is pointing to, and it's not a straightforward narrative. It's a decent novella, and if you're into pieces that take more work then there's no issue with starting there. It's just that it's very different from his other work, most of which have much more straightforward narratives and simpler structures.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really ought to get around to The City & The City, it sounds like it operates in a similar way.

It's one of my favorite books of his. I'd say it's similar in that it's theory jammed into fiction, but instead of Le Guinn and linguistics it's noir detective story and Foucault's panopticon.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Microcline posted:

Mieville comes from the intersection of the historical materialism of Marx with the simulationism of Gygax. You can end a crisis and have a positive effect, but to expect everything to conveniently work out is both historically naive and statistically unlikely.

To me I think that's explicitly the reason why his Bas-Lag books in particular are grim and/or end badly - they're a Marxist critique of society translated into fantasy (with some digs at the left as well). I think he'd argue that happy endings are impossible, given how society is structured in that setting. To me that's one of the points of the books.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Eiba posted:

Oh it's still inevitable, it's just coming in the form of (end of Iron Council) a train full of revolutionaries frozen in time, perpetually immanent but never moving.

And that's where the book ends, with defeat for now but also a promise that the past is still with us and revolution is still in the air.

I read that more cynically - although plenty of characters explicitly draw hope from the fact that the revolution is coming, to me he was saying that the revolution is always a future that never arrives, because if it actually takes place in the hyper-capitalist society of Bas-Lag then it's doomed . I feel like he's a modern Marxist: he's fully aware of both how ineffectual a lot of the left is and also how bad authoritarian systems can be whether they claim to be capitalist or communist, and that comes through in his writing. But he's also fully aware of how bad modern capitalism is and in a lot of his books his characters are struggling against that. I think the climax of Railsea is great for that and also tongue-in-cheek: the enemy is a bunch of bankers who have been waiting for generations for their loans to be repaid.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Is King Rat really not worth reading?

It's a paean to mid-90's big-pants rave culture, which if you lived through makes the whole thing loving ridiculous because you know how dumb a lot of that scene was.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

King Rat: Literally this but with magic

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Where did he do his degree and what year? I can probably fetch a PDF

LSE, although I don't know the year. So his academic pedigree is pretty solid.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Mieville hasn't published anything new in a while. Do we know if he's stopped writing entirely? (Maybe he's spent the lockdown working on the fabled fourth Bas-Lag book!?!)
And, given the current state of things, does the thread have any recommendations for Mievillian authors?

It probably depends on what you like about Mieville. I don't think there's anybody that blends social commentary/big ideas with the new weird/cosmic horror in quite the same way that he does, but Hannu Rajaniemi is pretty good on the big ideas and kind of trippy writing, and Tamsyn Muir is good at the cosmic horror and weird settings interacting with well-developed characters.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

FPyat posted:

A guy I know thought Iron Council was Trotskyist propaganda. I guess I can see it as a literalized Permanent Revolution.

Mieville has a PhD in economics with a Marxist focus, so it's hard to imagine that's an accidental parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I agree with the above posts - his essays and nonfiction are good (London's Overthrow was particularly puissant for me when I first read it) but I want a nice chunky brain-scrambling novel. I've found I'm rationing the remaining books of his I haven't got to yet.

Yeah, these days there's a thousand options for Marxist takes on whatever you want at whatever depth you want, but next to nobody writing Mieville style fiction.