Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
I scored a ARC of The City and The City and finished it about a month ago. It's pretty awesome. Very different to his other books though. It's a lot smaller in scope, being a detective novel. As such, it follows the detective around, rather than jumping from character to character to character in a very epic way like his other books. (very general spoiler about the 'feel' of the book)

He's still able to flesh out and develop a world better than almost any other author, that i can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Hedrigall posted:

oh holy loving poo poo I am so jealous! Don't spoil anything, but, what's the fantasy aspect like? Is it weird and twisted like Bas-Lag, or more Gaiman-esque like King Rat and Un Lun Dun?

There's very little fantasy at all. The book is set in a modern-day city, complete with the internet, references to the cold war, US governments and trade blocks, the war on terror (i think). It's a completely fantastic city whose premise is completely impossible, but one which is embedded in the 'real world'.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: TONS OF KRAKEN INFO :siren:

Well here is a fuckload of new information about Kraken courtesy of Amazon.com. The following may constitute minor spoilers:

It sounds just incredible. I can't wait!

Getting a major Pratchett vibe from this.

Pratchett-esque humour coming from Mieville would be pretty much the best thing ever.