Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Argali posted:

The City and The City has a very strange beginning. To me it's as if Mieville wanted to distance himself not only from writing fantasy, but his writing style in general. What we get here reminds me very much of Kafka's The Castle.

I am halfway through The City and The City But I get a distinct Budayeen feel from the book. It is probably just a coincidence due to the locale but it really resonates a combination of that and The Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Encryptic posted:

I liked "Dradin, In Love", dammit. It's definitely a weird story though.

Dradin is the best by a long shot that I think he written yet. The grotesque and arabesque aspects personified Poe and Lovecraft in a way I have yet to read anywhere else. That story just stayed with me and the ending was exactly right.

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Mucktron posted:

Now to read the Iron Council, though I fear I'm going to be very under-whelmed after how much I loved The Scar.

The Scar is by far one of my favorite books ever. Iron Council is great but it unfairly had to battle The Scar and nothing really matches up to it. It found a way to blend the new weird and classic lit into a masterpiece.

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I realize that Mieville excels at developing incredible, surreal worlds for his books and that the character development often suffers, but Kraken was really a bit too much. It wasn't *that* surreal, but I never ended up liking a single character. Billy's "Who? What" What am I doing here? What is - What's th- What's going on? How is this-" act went on for far too god drat long.

I think this portrayal is perfectly suited to the situation Billy finds himself in. If he were to suddenly just go along with everything crazy thing happening around him it would be unbelievable. His refusal to believe the things around him is just human nature when confronted by the unknown.

I put this behind The Scar and just ahead of PSS in order of favorite novels by China. The fact that it was what Neverwhere could have been just made it all the more enticing.

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Patrick Spens posted:

I would recommend avoiding King Rat. Don't get me wrong, the ending had me grinning from ear to ear, but you can defiantly tell that it was his first novel. It's pretty clunky, and he spends way to much time talking about "jungle music".

It picked up as it got going though. I like King Rat more than TC&TC in all honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

SmokinDan posted:

About 150 pages through The Scar, at the moment, and enjoying it a lot. Armada certainly is interesting.

I think it gets even better from here on out.