Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I just finished King Rat and I can't recommend it enough. It's a light, fun, fast read with all of Mieville's trademark weirdness and a lot of unforgettable characters. I would say it makes a perfect starting point for anyone who wants to get into Mieville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

cult_hero posted:

This is probably the one thing that really hooked me about Mieville's Bas-lag novels, nothing is thrown away. While every story has features that seem like trivial fluff, they eventually become important features of other books. Bellis Coldwine is mentioned very tangentially in Perdido Street Station, Spiral Jacobs is mentioned in the Scar, and reference to the wandering ambassador of Tesh is made in Perdido Street Station. there are so many interesting characters and hinted at history with potential for entire novels, and with each novel the world just gets richer and richer.

Woah, when is Spiral mentioned in The Scar? I missed that one apparently!!

I love the whole description Silas gives Bellis of his travels, and then later the stuff that Uther reveals about where he grew up. Mieville communicates the strangeness and mystery of these dark unknown places to the reader, drawing us in exactly the same way the characters are.

In King Rat, there multiple monarchs of the species; we spend a lot of time with King Rat, Anansi the spider king, and Loplop the bird king, and they are all really cool characters. He also mentions two other monarchs, the "Queen Bitch" of the dogs and some sort of cat king, but they never make an appearance. It's his same style of creating a lot of really cool world details and then making the story a part of it, rather than the entirety.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Z. Autobahn posted:

Just because Hedrigall asked, I'll crosspost my analysis of PSS from the "Unforgivable Endings" thread...

This is a very good post! Now do Iron Council please :) is it anti industrialism with the whole train through the swamp thing? What are the most Marxist parts of the book?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

NorphTehDwarf posted:

On the subject of King Rat, I got it a few days ago and tried to read it, but the entire time I couldn't shake off this feeling that I'd read it before with Gaiman's name on the cover. Only got like half a chapter or so in, though. Does it get better as it goes on?

Yes, it definitely gets better. There's a really intense chase scene in particular that takes up about half the book, which I really enjoyed.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Evfedu posted:

Even the end of the first one? Christ.

My interest and enjoyment of the book was p. much a bell curve. Does The Scar improve on this?

While I disagree with your opinions on Perdido, if you liked even a little bit of it then you'll like The Scar, which is an all around better book.

What I like about Perdido is the fact that it's just a hosed up story in a world full of them, and it doesn't have to have a happy ending because most stories don't. The ending wasn't engineered to make you feel bad, the ending just is what it is. It's not the type of world where a motley crew of steampunk heroes and magicians save the day from the evil empire and ride off to the next adventure in their dirigibles.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The Brucolac is the best modern vampire I've read, and I love the idea of the blood tax in his vampire-owned district. I wonder if they drink Vodyanoi and cactus sap? When an ex tried to sass me with some poo poo about Twilight I shoved The Scar in her hands and told her it features REAL vampires--the desperate addict kind!

I also love that Mieville leaves the big fight between Doul and the Brucolac behind closed doors. I also loved the giant naval battle. What a scene, and poor Tanner Sack.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

StabbedUp posted:

Perdido Street Station grew on me. For a while it seemed pointless odd but once acclimatised I found myself fascinated by the drama. I like the way he uses allusions. The moths seemed an allusion to the film Aliens and an ingenious retelling of that story.

Definitely, I would say the whole Greenhouse sequence in Perdido was a huge wink to Aliens. I enjoyed much of the book in the same spirit!

King Rat is great I agree, I also enjoyed how about half the book is this giant chase scene. It's a very fun and quick read.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I just read The City and The City and it's pretty much a perfect little novel, and it's mild enough that I'm lending it to my mum now to read. It's a book that really shows how far he's come since King Rat. It's great reading along as he matures as an author, and now I'm more excited than ever for Kraken. I look forward to more of the same sense of humour we got to see in Un Lun Dun and some parts of PSS!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Eh, skip King Rat. It's his most forgettable book. Go straight to Perdido, or even better, The Scar :3:

I really like King Rat and it's a fast read, I highly recommend it as a starter Mieville book before diving into Bas Lag. Un Lun Dun more so, but King Rat is fun too.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

lokk posted:

Yeah this is what I've heard from reading some of this thread. As I'm new to the whole fantasy/sci-fi genre and books overall, I'm trying to get my feet wet first before taking on the big stuff o.O

Well it's impressive you are getting into Mieville, and in that case King Rat is definitely a good choice! It's fast, straight forward, and fun. You can tell it's one of the first things he wrote but it's not bad or anything, just less mature than his other stuff. I would compare it to Neil Gaiman's stuff, or Douglas Adams. It's a mix of urban London and supernatural shenanigans. Un Lun Dun is Mieville's more polished kinda spinoff and is a bigger adventure but written very much for young adults. It's way better than Harry Potter though :)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I haven't read any Chandler but I saw a lot of similarities to Kafka in TC&TC

Wrojin posted:

Thanks, guys, that answers my question well enough to consider giving Finch a try. I liked TC&TC also, btw. To be more topical, I actually just finished Un Lun Dun at work last night, and though I felt that China was rather conspicuously giving a go at YA, it was still mostly readable. Smog, though? Cough. A bit facile with respect to the lessons for the youth, you know, but there were a couple good puns and I sort of liked the anti-prophecy slant.

The carnivorous giraffes genuinely freaked me out!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
That's a great interview Hedrigall, and so is the comment thread for it. Thanks for posting it, somehow even though I am an avid AV Club reader I missed it!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
That was a really awesome post Thug Lessons, thanks for writing it!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I *just* missed him doing a signing next door to me in Toronto, but managed to pick up a signed copy of Embassytown after the fact. I've only read a little bit of it but it's already blowing my mind.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

pkd3001 posted:

Oh, wow. Did you like Solaris? I really like Philip K. Dick and enjoyed the George Clooney movie that was an adaptation of it, so I thought I would give it a try. I also like reading philosophy and I am trying to finish "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl, so it might take me a little while to finish Solaris but it seems like a very philosophical novel. One of the things that bothers me sometimes is that people think all sci-fi, is just this "space opera," Star Wars stuff. There are many really philosophically rich sci-fi novels and movies though. Not to knock Star Wars, because I like Star Wars, but I think sometimes people miss out on the deeper stuff like Philip K. Dick and Solaris.

Agreed! In this vein, I can't recommend Mieville's 'Embassytown' enough, it's some of the cleverest sci-fi I've read in years. I would compare it closely to PKD and Iain Banks.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

I've just read it and I see why people compare it to Gaiman as the plot is pretty close to Neverwhere, in particular does anyone know if Goss and Subby/Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar are referencing some third series, because "immortal unstoppable mysteriously empowered pair of mercenaries" is an oddly specific recurring trope. Though on that note, the book makes a great companion to Neverwhere because each authors take on similar events highlights their stylistic quirks. In particular the stuff they use as iconic aspects of london is really telling.

That said, basic story aside I think it's closer to the Pratchett-esque romp someone was hoping for earlier in the thread. The familiar strike in particular is a very Pratchettesque device, but the demon-police, the various cults and the hapless relationship between the police and the magical underworld all seem like things that could've cropped up in a Pratchett urban fantasy book. The way the magic depended on perception and metaphor was obviously very similar as well.

I would compare it favourably with Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor if he eats like 40 cakes.

I mean, can you not see him all dissheveled and absent-minded-scientist-y and saying things like "Yag, old fellow" or whatever Isaac says?

First (before he gets much older) he has to play Sparrowhawk in A Wizard of Earthsea directed by Joss Whedon. In my dreams.