Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferrinus posted:

That's okay! (you're unimportant)

i know it was just a heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Since you guys are approaching level 4 Arcana I should write this up.

MAGICAL MIND CONTROL
Intimidation or Persuasion can be used to power the following spells. Each represents a single upgradeable rote within the same Arcanum, so if you know Greater Beast Control you can upgrade it to Telepathic Control for 2xp and use the same dicepool to cast either spell, at your leisure.

Death 3, Control Ghost
* Covert
* No Cost
* Prolonged
* Target contests with Resistance reflexively

Spirit 4, Dominate Ghost (new spell)
* Vulgar
* No Cost
* Prolonged
* Target contests with Resistance + Rank reflexively

Spirit 3, Control Spirit
* Covert
* 1 Mana
* Prolonged

Spirit 4, Dominate Spirit (new spell)
* Vulgar
* 1 Mana
* Prolonged

Mind 2, Beast Control
* Covert
* No Cost
* Prolonged
* Target contests with Resolve

Mind 3, Greater Beast Control
* Covert
* No Cost
* Prolonged
* Target contests with Resolve

Mind 4, Telepathic Control
* Covert
* 1 Mana
* Prolonged, Transitory vs. Supernaturals (Prolonged vs. Supernaturals at Mind 5)
* Target contests with Resolve + Gnosis reflexively

Mind 5, Psychic Domination
* Vulgar
* 1 Mana
* Prolonged, Transitory vs. Supernaturals
* Target contests with Resolve + Gnosis reflexively

By default, succeeding on this spell allows the mage to assign the target a single, immediately-completed action. A target could give up an item, unlock a container, issue a single attack against an enemy, walk through a door. Targets intensely opposed to the caster or under stress are only affected for a single round, but calm or unsuspecting targets can be given orders that take more than one round of combat time to complete so long as those orders don't take significant amounts of time - an unwilling librarian might find a book for the dominator but won't spend an afternoon compiling a stockpile of sources. The target does not need to be able to understand the mage for this spell to take effect, although it must be capable of understanding the command in principle. The precise wording of the command does not matter, as the magic transmits the caster's intentions directly.

A mind controlled subject remains itself, but acting on a decision it refuses to reconsider. They will approach their orders as intelligently as usual, so someone ordered to kill a dangerous enemy won't try to do so unarmed unless that's how they normally operate. Subjects are incapable of acting to sabotage their own orders, though, so even a subject that knows they're under control won't (for example) loudly warn everyone they meet that they are not in control of themselves. Targets controlled by Mind spells are generally not aware of it unless they have some way of deducing or detecting the magic's operation; targets controlled by Death or Spirit spells are always aware. Spirits cannot be forced to violate their bans by any means (it's not a matter of will; they are literally incapable of taking certain actions) and Domination spells must be used to cause spirit beings to violate "bans" that merely penalize them rather than outright forbidding courses of action.

This spell cannot force subjects to spend willpower points on increasing dicepools or static defenses (though they may end up spending willpower anyway to pay the cost of using certain powers). A controlled subject can struggle internally to sabotage an action it is forced to take by spending a willpower, either removing 3 dice from a single rolled action or reducing a static resistance trait by 2 for one attack.

The caster can take penalties on the casting roll to create greater effects:

-4: The target will obey a single command for the spell's duration. A target told to flee escapes the caster's sight and does not return until the spell ends or is dispelled, for instance. A target told to protect the mage will indeed follow them and guard them from attackers, but will probably refuse to render any other aid and possibly even interfere with the mage's other actions.

-6: The spell no longer consists of a specific order. Instead, the mage imposes unnatural servitude on the target; for the spell's duration, they faithfully obey any orders given to them that they can understand. Even a target that cannot communicate with the mage attempts to aid or protect them insofar as it realizes it needs to.

The caster may reduce the penalty for complex commands by 2 if he allows the specific wording of commands to manner. In this case commands must be transmitted to the target in a language it understands, and it must abide only by their wording, not their spirit.

Unacceptable Orders
Mind control spells cannot cause targets to take obviously self-destructive actions. This encompasses actions that are both directly suicidal (jumping off a cliff, shooting one's self in the head) and those that are tantamount to suicide (standing still and not fighting back against attackers, dispelling protective enchantments or throwing away weapons in the middle of a fight, attacking packs of werewolves alone and barehanded) but can cause targets to take risky or consequence-laden actions (trying to kill a foe that isn't judged to be insurmountable, stealing something in broad daylight, destroying one's career or reputation). Causing a ghost to abandon or harm an anchor or causing a spirit to abandon or harm a fetter is considered assigning a self-destructive order (but a spirit or ghost that is anchored to or possessing something inconvenient can, in the short term, be ordered to recede and allow the subject to control itself).

In the latter case, the subject can spend a willpower point reflexively to grant themselves a second resistance roll against the spell in addition to lowering an action's dicepool, adding onto those garnered in their initial attempt to resist at the time of casting. If the combined successes match or beat the spell's Potency they can ignore the command or any repetitions of it within the same day, but are not necessarily free of the spell. A subject can only attempt to outright deny the consequences of a specific order once per scene (even though continuing a fight presents constant danger, the subject only gets one roll unless the fight continues through multiple scenes) but may resist multiple orders individually (a subject is forced to start a dangerous fight, and is later forced to wreck their reputation).

The vulgar "Domination" spells break this rule - subjects have no ability to resist dangerous or ruinous commands, and can only spend willpower points to attempt to resist commands which are blatantly suicidal.

Subjects of mind control forced to violate their own Conscience (or Wisdom or similar traits) may treat such violations as risky actions for the purposes of resistance. At the storyteller's discretion, a subject forced by magic to grossly violate or destroy the principles or people they most hold dear (a mother ordered to kill her child, for instance) may add their Conscience rating to the second resistance roll.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 4, 2011

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you guys are wondering about spirit possession, by the way:

Spirit possession (and fettering, if the spirit chooses to place itself within the physical structure of whatever it's fettered to) is a means for spirits to hide from detection. The Spirit 1 spell "Spirit Tongue" spell will only perceive a spirit possessor if its Potency beats the successes the spirit got on its Fetter/Living Fetter/Possession roll. Otherwise, the spirit is undetectable to him and considered to be outside of Sensory range.

The Exorcist's Eye spell will immediately detect the presence of a possessor and is not resisted except by rare, theoretical powers which specifically make a possessing spirit extra-hidey, but all it tells you is whether or not something's in there.

The Exorcism spell requires an extended ritual and successes equal to the Willpower of the possessor (which the caster does not necessarily know), but fortunately does not actually need to target the spirit - you cast it on a person or object, and if you're lucky the spirit is cast out. A spirit ripped from an anchor with an Exorcism ritual can't use its Possession numen again until at least a scene has passed, more if the mage includes extra duration factors (as though the spell had a base duration of Prolonged)

Within the first hour of a possession, a mage can cast Exorcism on a target as an instant action, rolling against the possessor's Resistance + Rank and immediately expelling it on a success. Past that hour, though, the spirit's grip is too strong to break without ritual magic.

This pertains to you: Possessions enabled through Supernal magic may be dispelled as Supernal magic as well as through normal channels.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The Body of Gabriel Norsworth Part 1 completed!

+3 XP for saving a cute lil kid :3: 58 XP total.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

oh, you ran today...

that's cool... :smith:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

oh, you ran today...

that's cool... :smith:

it was a standalone story not related to the enoch storyline, i'll write up a synopsis when i get home from class if you want

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

it was a standalone story not related to the enoch storyline, i'll write up a synopsis when i get home from class if you want

yes please!!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

The story of the Body of Gabriel Norsworth takes place in an unspecified time relative to the Enoch storyline. Before? After? Who knows, man, it's all crazy when you're dealing with Mages. The only characters in this story were Medved, Socharis, Matryoshka, and Adramel. (Adramel showed up a bit late, but early enough to get written into the story easily.)

Socharis is at home, doing his day job of writing obituaries. This particular obit is a sad one: an 8-year-old autistic boy named Gabriel Norsworth, hit by a car after running into the road. Anna, aka Ghost Girlfriend, appears with another ghost in tow. It's Gabe's ghost, a wispy half-formed thing that won't last long. Gabe says that there's something bad in him. Anna thinks it means that there's something wrong with Gabe's body. Socharis heads to the hospital where Gabe's body is being held, while Anna stays behind so that Gabe's ghost won't be alone when it dissolves.

Meanwhile, Medved and Matryoshka meet Aaron, the head of the local Adamantine Arrow, a (presumably) former military man and current Acanthus. He tells them that within an hour, an operation will be taking place at a local hospital, and that it will go badly. Deaths will occur that Sleepers will be powerless to stop. He wants his people on the scene for when things go down.

It's either coincidence or the workings of a Master of Fate that Socharis meets the Arrows right outside the hospital. They brief each other on why they're there and head inside, after casting a few protective and sensing spells. Inside, they're confronted by the nurse at the front desk. Fortunately, Matryoshka manages to convince the nurse they're there to see a man with a broken arm whose name Matryoshka picked off a clipboard on the desk, and the group enters without suspicion. They meet Adramel in a hallway of the hospital. (It was never explicitly mentioned what he was doing there. Does he work at the hospital?) He's quickly filled in and joins the party.

There's still about thirty or forty minutes until the operation, so the first stop is the morgue. There's a security guard, but Matryoshka flashes a police badge, says a few lines about a body involved in a crime, and uses a little help from the Mind arcana to get the group in the morgue. There are shelves upon shelves of morgue lockers, and there's no time to look at all of them one by one. There's a computer, though, and Adramel uses the Force to access the records to find Gabe's locker. It's quickly opened. (As an aside, my IRC log file for that day ends at midnight, right with the opening of Gabe's morgue freezer. Spooooky.)

Socharis determines that the poor lad was indeed killed by blunt force trauma, while Medved's magic examination goes deeper. Gabe's body -- specifically, his organs, are in remarkably good condition for a child hit by a car. He theorizes that his organs are being preserved for some unknown reason, and Matryoshka theorizes that the operation that's going to go wrong will involve Gabe's organs somehow. Adramel and Socharis collaborate to alter Gabe's medical file, Socharis using his medical experience to tell Adramel what to write. Gabe's organs are now listed as unusable due to some sort of hitherto-unnoticed infection so that no one will be contaminated with whatever bad thing Gabe was talking about inside him.

With only a few minutes left until the operation, the group heads down to the floor below where the operating rooms are. They see an ambulance arriving through a window. On the elevator ride down, Matryoshka divines the near future. The person in the ambulance was rushed exactly to this hospital because that's where Gabe's organs were, but the surgeons will find that the organs are no longer marked as usable. With no other organs available, the patient will die... and as the elevator doors open, the patient, a small girl, is rushed past.

The little girl has to be saved without the aid of Gabe's organs, which, as Adramel reminds a horrified Matryoshka, would probably have killed her anyway. A plan is quickly hatched. It's drastic but it's the only option. Medved and Socharis will attempt to heal the girl using their magic. But they'll need to keep it hidden from the eyes of the Sleepers. Adramel gives the two healers Nightsight, and then cuts the power to all the lights on the floor, just after a doctor arrives from the morgue, screaming that Gabe's organs are no longer viable. There is a lot of surprise and shouting, and in the confusion, the two healers rush into the OR with the gift of night vision. Medved's magic fails (0 successes on a dice pool of 10, what) but Socharis's works beautifully (5 successes!), healing the little girl's injuries enough that she won't need a transplant with Gabe or anyone else's organs. In the darkness and confusion, none of the Sleeper doctors notice the magic happening, and Paradox is averted.

The four Mages run for it, and meet up on another floor, panting from the exertion. As the scene ended, they were discussing how best to get a closer look at just what the deal is with Gabriel Norsworth's body.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Medved didn't even try healing her because Socharis succeeded so well -- the 10 dice that he got 0 successes on was to snatch the pen flashlight a doctor pulled out.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Zarick posted:

Medved didn't even try healing her because Socharis succeeded so well -- the 10 dice that he got 0 successes on was to snatch the pen flashlight a doctor pulled out.

Ah, thanks.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

that's awesome, great job you guys!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

just a heads up, i have finals next week on monday and tuesday, so sunday night and monday night are completely out for me, but after tuesday's test i am open for a while

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I foresee myself being pretty busy until Friday or so!!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Zarick posted:

good thing i own so hard that it didn't end up mattering

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

good thing i own so hard that it didn't end up mattering

to be honest as the only character without nightsight i wasn't really paying much attention during this section

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

to be honest as the only character without nightsight i wasn't really paying much attention during this section

you guys really need to wrap your head around the fact that almost every magical buff can be targeted at other people, and also cast at a penalty to hit multiple targets

as an example, there's no reason solomon and lego should go around without mage armor on

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

you guys really need to wrap your head around the fact that almost every magical buff can be targeted at other people, and also cast at a penalty to hit multiple targets

Yeah, but casting Mage Sight and Mage Armor on other people requires more Arcana dots, doesn't it? Third Eye is Mind 1 but Opening the Lidless Eye is Mind 2, and I don't see any spell letting me cast Misperception on someone else, at least not within the first three dots of Mind.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, but casting Mage Sight and Mage Armor on other people requires more Arcana dots, doesn't it? Third Eye is Mind 1 but Opening the Lidless Eye is Mind 2, and I don't see any spell letting me cast Misperception on someone else, at least not within the first three dots of Mind.

all personal mage armors are 2, and mage armor can be cast on other targets at 3

there's definitely a level 3, targeted Misperception, you just missed it

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

all personal mage armors are 2, and mage armor can be cast on other targets at 3

there's definitely a level 3, targeted Misperception, you just missed it

If there is one it is invisible in my copy. There's one to cast Mental Shield on other people, Mental Wall, but nothing for Misperception.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If there is one it is invisible in my copy. There's one to cast Mental Shield on other people, Mental Wall, but nothing for Misperception.

huh, that's strange. well i'd definitely let you do it

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

as an example, there's no reason solomon and lego should go around without mage armor on

No Mana For Mudbloods :colbert:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

No Mana For Mudbloods :colbert:

true

incidentally, i'd like to play saturday night or on the weeknights of next week, because i'll not be really busy then. don't hold me to this though because i may be absent for other reasons

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
i want to play again

ferrinus if you're reading this run mage

...vic....

a man of ill repute fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 16, 2009

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma

a man of ill repute posted:

i want to play again

your sidesotry with a morgue would have been perfect for tom b heart

*disintegrates morgue locker*

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

a man of ill repute posted:

i want to play again

your sidesotry with a morgue would have been perfect for tom b heart

no sorry ferrinus only lets the cool characters into the side stories :smug:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

no sorry ferrinus only lets the cool characters into the side stories :smug:

SIDESTORY REPORT: Arrian reads a book about manticores, finishes paperwork for local archivist daduchoi, wonders what girls are like

:smith:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

SIDESTORY REPORT: Arrian reads a book about manticores, finishes paperwork for local archivist daduchoi, wonders what girls are like

:smith:

This Is Living

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

All right, fags, I'm done hiatusing. Whoever wants to play today (Jan 4 09) should start collecting in IRC.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The Curious Case of the Duchess Part 1 completed!

+3 XP for some exploration followed by an awesome vampire standoff. Big ups to Medved for upholding Mage Pryde. 61 XP total.

+1 AXP for getting the inkling that vampires enslave humans. Learn more! 35 AXP total.

Branigan
Jan 1, 2008

by DocEvil
ferrinus can we roleplay getting debriefed by our superiors about the "haunted house" sometime it seems like it would be fun :3

all yelling at each other and stuff

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
he's a loose cannon shaman with something to prove!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Branigan posted:

ferrinus can we roleplay getting debriefed by our superiors about the "haunted house" sometime it seems like it would be fun :3

all yelling at each other and stuff

Probably, yes! Most likely not tonight however.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

do most rpg groups argue as much as our characters do

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ferrinus run mage I'm finally picking my rotes

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Actually if some people wanna play tonight we could do something probably

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ok cool, let me finish with this, I have five dots' worth of rotes. Let me grab a few more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
code:
==============================
John Westland ("Smith")
==============================
* Justice, Wrath
* Obrimos
* Adamantine Arrow

==========
ATTRIBUTES
==========
MENTAL			PHYSICAL		SOCIAL
------			--------		------
Intelligence: 	3	Strength:	4	Presence: 	2
Wits:		2	Dexterity:	3	Manipulation: 	2
Resolve:	3	Stamina:	3	Composure: 	3

======
SKILLS
======
MENTAL (-3 Unskilled)	PHYSICAL (-1 Unskilled)	SOCIAL (-1 Unskilled)
------			--------		------
Academics:	3	Athletics: 	4	Animal Ken: 	0
Computer:	3	Brawl: 		3	Empathy: 	0
Crafts: 	0	Drive: 		3	Expression: 	2
Investigation:	1	Firearms: 	1	Intimidation: 	0
Medicine:	0	Larceny: 	0	Persuasion: 	0
Occult: 	1	Stealth: 	0	Socialize: 	2
Politics: 	0	Survival: 	2	Streetwise: 	2
Science: 	2	Weaponry: 	0	Subterfuge: 	1

SPECIALTIES
-----------
* Athletics: Long-distance Running
* Brawl: Grappling
* Academics: History

(Example: * Firearms: Pistols)

==========
ADVANTAGES
==========
MERITS
------
Order Status (1)
Brawling Dodge (1)
Iron Stamina (3)
Ambidextrous (3)
Strong Back (1)
Direction Sense (1)

DERIVED TRAITS
--------------
* Health:	8
* Willpower:	6

* Initiative:	5
* Size:		5
* Speed:	11
* Defense:	2

* Wisdom:	4
==============
SUPERNAL MAGIC
==============
GNOSIS: 2
---------
* Mana:				11 max, spend 2 per turn
* Base Paradox Pool:		2 die
* Pattern Restoration/Scouring:	1 per day
* Ritual Casting:		1 roll per 3 hrs
* Spell Tolerance:		(Higher of unmodified Stamina or Gnosis)
* Cannot Combine Spells
* Max Arcana:			4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1

ARCANA: Arcanum and Arcanum Rule, Arcanum Inferior
------
* Forces 3 [Covert: 5 dice, Vulgar: 8 dice]
* Prime 3 [Covert: 5 dice, Vulgar: 8 dice]
* Space 2 [Covert: 4, Vulgar: 7 dice]

ROTES
-----
FORCES
* Influence Fire [2, C: 9 dice, V: 12 dice]
* Control Fire [3, C: 5 + 2 (science) = 7 dice, V: 8 + 2 (science) = 10 dice]
* Telekinetic Strike [3, C: 9 dice, V: 12 dice]
* Unseen Shield [2, C: 7 dice, V: 10 dice]

PRIME
* Supernal Vision [3, C: 6 dice, V: 9 dice]

============================
EXPERIENCE POINT EXPENDITURE
============================
started with 71 (61 earned + 10 from creation)
XP = 19 (52 spent)
AXP = 35 (0 spent)

21 spent on Prime 2
15 spent on Dexterity 3
4 spent on Influence Fire
6 Spent on Telekinetic Strike
4 Spent on Unseen Shield
3 spent on Occult 1

==============
CURRENT STATUS
==============
* Health:	[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
* Willpower:    6/6
* Mana:		11/11 (2/turn)

COMBAT VALUES
-------------
* Initiative:   6

* Defense:	2
* Armor:	0/0

* Speed:	12
* Size:		5

ATTACK STATISTICS
-----------------

RESISTANCE DICEPOOLS
--------------------
* Stamina:	5 Dice
* Resolve:	5 Dice
* Composure:	5 Dice

OTHER DICEPOOLS
---------------
* Perception:		5
* Resonance Analysis:	4

=========
INVENTORY
=========
GENERAL
-------

MAGICAL
-------

WEAPONS
-------

ARMOR
-----

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 8, 2009

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

drat, i was hoping for a guardian or a hierarch

not that your guy isn't cool though!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

drat, i was hoping for a guardian or a hierarch

not that your guy isn't cool though!

i believe you mean a thearch.

also we're about 2 play!!! get over here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

i believe you mean a thearch.

no... no!!!

i am undone