Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
subject to revision! btw i wanna run mage on saturday, sunday, or both. definitely sunday.

Forest Lash (Life ***)
The caster wills a nearby plant to animate and attack his foes. A root, vine, or tree branch suddenly springs to life and strikes at the mage's foe, battering, entangling, or lacerating them.
Practice: Weaving
Action: Instant and Aimed; subtract subject's Defense
Duration: Concentration or Prolonged
Aspect: Vulgar
Cost: None
Rote Skill: Athletics, Brawl or Weaponry
Upon casting this spell, the mage seizes control of a nearby plant, which acts immediately. The mage retains control of the plant for as long as he concentrates, and on subsequent turns of concentration the caster can cause plants under his control to act. When the mage ceases concentrating, affected plants spring or retract back into their original positions.

The initial dicepool for this spell is used as the dicepool for a melee attack made immediately by a plant within sensory range against any target. The attack inflicts bashing damage by default, and must contend with the Defense or Armor of its target. As the attack can often come from behind, beneath, or above a target (and as many opponents might have no reason to expect it) the victim might have to make a Perception roll penalized by the mage's Life dots to be able to apply his or her Defense against the attack. If the target is grappling or otherwise holding on to the animated plant, the dicepool is resisted by Strength rather than Defense, though Armor still applies.

At Life 4, the mage can elect to deal lethal damage, magically transforming the appendage into a blade or spike as he animates it. Alternatively, he can cast the spell with a Prolonged duration, which allows him to cease concentration to perform other actions and then resume concentration to continue attacking without recasting the spell. A master of Life can use both these modifications simultaneously.

Generally, a plant can attack a target from as many yards away as the caster's Life rating. Adding target or area factors to this spell increases both the amount of plant matter affected and the amount of targets the mage can cause plants to attack at once. At the storyteller's discretion, devoting more target factors than needed to a target (i.e. taking a -2 penalty to affect two targets, but only attacking one creature) or using area factors in an overgrown enough area may be enough to automatically ignore an enemy's defense, as roots and vines spring forward from every direction in too great numbers to dodge.

Forest Snare (Life ***)
The caster calls upon plants in the area to grab and entangle his foes, arresting their movement and hindering their actions.
Action: Instant and Aimed; Subtract target's Defense
Duration: Concentration
Rote Skill: Athletics, Brawl or Survival

This spell's dicepool is resolved as a grapple attack against the target or targets, and is penalized by Defense or any other factors that impede a grapple. As the attack can often come from behind, beneath, or above a target (and as many opponents might have no reason to expect it) the victim might have to make a Perception roll penalized by the mage's Life dots to be able to apply his or her Defense against the attack.

Targets hit take no damage, but are ensnared. They can still take actions, but are rooted to the spot they stand in and lose dice equal to the caster's Life rating from all physical actions. They can escape as an instant action by succeeding on a Strength + Brawl roll, as from a normal grapple. On subsequent turns, a caster may roll this spell's dicepool penalized by his target's Strength to use the animate perform nondamaging Overpower manuevers (immobilizing the target, knocking it prone, disarming it, etcetera) on one ensnared target every turn.

An adept of Life can cast this spell with a prolonged duration, though concentration is still required to overpower ensnared targets. A master of Life can concentrate to affect every ensnared target with an Overpower manuever simultaneously. Generally, a plant can attack a target from as many yards away as the caster's Life rating. Adding target or area factors to this spell increases both the amount of plant matter affected and the amount of targets the mage can cause plants to attack at once. At the storyteller's discretion, devoting more target factors than needed to a target (i.e. taking a -2 penalty to affect two targets, but only attacking one creature) or using area factors in an overgrown enough area may be enough to automatically ignore an enemy's defense, as roots and vines spring forward from every direction in too great numbers to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

a man of ill repute posted:

could you theoretically manipulate a tree like a phantasm if you needed to

i was considering doing it that way and i'm not sure whether i'll change it to that in the future. for now though i wanted to try skipping the intermediate step where you magically generate a dicepool for the attacker and then attack with it and instead just have your casting pool be the tree's attack pool

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

so yeah wanna run today at like nineish or a little later. you guys should start gathering around or before that time. i'll see you there. well, later

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Continued Enoch storyline!

+3 XP for roleplaying and poo poo!
+1 more XP because we need a tough ghost fighter.

112 XP total.

+1 AXP for unraveling the Spinner's web!
+1 AXP for meeting a really freakin' old ghost!

59 AXP total.

Tombheart and Matryoshka snuck into Enoch's cookie jar and so can raise an Arcanum with no training time if they want. Everyone else, as yet, is stuck.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 15, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

raising an arcanum to 1 or 2 is chump change and socharis has been healing you repeatedly, go for it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa i will never sleep again. i will never even... c l o s e m y e y e s

what happened what happened loving tell me

A Tough Ghost Fighter joined the party!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

well first paracelsus fixed everyone's stuff (Ferrinus I'm going to have gotten up a couple hours earlier than everyone else due to Old Man Sleep and fix the rest of it before they get up if that's ok)

it is absolutely okay. Old Man Sleep is a special power all old man characters in my game get for free

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ferrinus I had a retraining question on the last page! in case you didn't see :frogbon:

go ahead! you haven't actually done anything with forces or w/e

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

theoretically you are already, although bargaining for the help of adrian or the local spirit courts might also be wise

mostly spirits hate enoch and adrian is apathetic as hell but you have an incredible weapon: to wit, enoch is planning to leave, and you can pretend he's doing so on their account if they accede

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

that would entail you talking to me about what you want and me working with you to design thing.

btw

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

this post was written by one "Patkin" at rpg.net (yes that's right) and i just want to reproduce it here because it's really something:

There's a strong sense of escapism in the concept of Ascension, likely derived from the gnostic principles it goes off of.

The physical material world is ugly, filthy and cloying. You have to keep eating, and drinking, and sleeping, and using the bathroom, and you get old and fat and sick and then you die and things are terrible.

You wake up with bad breath in the mornings, your shoulder hurts whenever there's a cold snap, your ex-girlfriend thought you weren't big enough "down there" to warrent dating any longer, you owe money to the IRS and that guy down at the OTB parlor named Fat Giotto, your memory isn't what it used to be, and that winter weight isn't going away...

To a mage, these things are not just the perils of day-to-day living, but war atrocities committed against them. God hates them and makes them miserable, so they want out.

The Supernal has none of these elements (they hope and pray it doesn't), they'll be as gods there, and gods don't suffer, gods don't have gambling debts, gods aren't made to feel small and pathetic by their mother if they forget her birthday...

I mean, yeah, you'll also get the lines about "eternal truth is there, great power and wisdom, celestial alignment with my eternal soul's essence!" but a lot of it is about the quest to no longer have to wake up at two in the morning to take a poo poo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

it is both. the power of magic revealed

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

that's the angel you goobers

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

wizards!!! since riidi isn't running his game today i'm going to sort of hang out in PC-OOC if anyone wants to come by and mage a lil

i don't have a specific storyline to run or whatever but you guys could like deliberate with each other or summon/create more guardians for the battle ahead like tombheart did with his tough ghost fighter or bug enoch for rote training or w/e? you could probably get solomon to help you summon a demon or spirit or something

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bumbled around in Enoch storyline!

+1 XP for roleplaying!
+1 more XP because <ill_repute> *appears disintegrating through a door* there is such a thing as magic.

114 XP total.

59 AXP total.

quote:

<Enoch> Yeah, I saw God up there. In a mirror motherbitch. *conjures shades from Prime energy* *flies away*

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 19, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i could run on saturday...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Diplomat's Protection is too strong for mind 3. i'll let you cast it at mind 4, with the corollary that if people pierce it it just counts as the equivalent of Mind armor (i.e. it provides armor = mind rating, not armor = successes.) you can upgrade a mind armor rote into it.

the rote action spells are fine, but keep in mind that in ferrinusworld a rote action is this: reroll all failed dice, then use either your initial successes or your second set of successes, not the sum of both

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

no i read your short descriptions and worked off memory, rest assured that if a spell really proves to be stupid for some reason we just won't use it

that mind 5 thing where you shut a guy down so he can't interact with anything might prove too good, for instance, i just figure that for now you could accomplish roughly the same thing with "stop doing anything" psychic domination

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

point, although no exit is lasting and would almost undoubtedly be an act against Wisdom, because turning someone into a catatonic wreck is lovely as hell, man

it's lasting? i trust it's an extended action or has some other sort of exit condition????

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

glahaha "a willpower roll against a difficulty of 10" doesn't even mean anything according to wod mechanics, i love it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

mages!! here very briefly. would like to run tonight but will be gone for much of day. may swing by around 9 or 10 to do stuff. if a bunch of you are there, cool. if a bunch of you aren't that's okay. i'm sorry for lateness

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

+1 XP for roleplaying!

115 XP total.

+1 AXP for entering a dream realm for the first time!
+1 AXP for learning a little more about vampire powers!

61 AXP total.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

so listen, it's pretty late but if some more of you are around you could show up in irc and we could take care of a few loose ends prior to escape from witch mountain? something about zombie wolf armies???

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

<ill_repute> 14He hesitates for a moment. "We could convince him to fight for us without needing to bargain mor- They already serve the abyss by virtue of their actions. The only reason we let that Obr-Chisel go is because she was too powerful to subdue."
<brennon> "Thats still a crap deal for two seers man, wouldn't he just be happy with some magical trinket from Enoch's place instead of a pair of-" 7Thor adopts a sophisticated tone. "-Awakened Ones.?"
<dammitwho> "A pretty rationalization- worthy of a Guardian. Come on, Tombheart! If mystic truth is sacred and precious, how much more sacred is an Awakened soul? How can we give *two* such away, no matter how much dross we get in return? Assuming they are even ours to dispose of as we choose, which I do not grant."
<ill_repute> 14He adopts his iconic sneer. "They've sold themselves to Pancryptia. They're already lost."
<ill_repute> "Suppose we allow them to walk out of here. What happens next? They'll just go back to burning their- our! birthright!"
<dammitwho> "Which was what they were doing before we arrived. But if we were to go through with your deal... Tombheart, you are quite literally offering to sacrifice the sublime on the altar of the profane, in the center of the largest ley-line convergence for hundreds of miles in any direction. Which has, I might add, already had one Abyssal intrusion so far."
<dammitwho> "Quite apart from the moral concerns, the mystic implications of this act are appalling enough that I would urge you to reconsider."
<brennon> 7Thor sighs. "We can sort this out later you mysterium nerds, we've gotta come up with something fast either way here; the vampire was gonna come by at sundown I'm pretty sure."
<ill_repute> 14He waves Thor away. "Believe me when I say I'm far more concerned about the mystical implications of being splattered all over this mountain by the Exarch's slaves."
<ill_repute> "I may be too rigid in my doctrines. Maybe. But you're straying dangerously close to agreeing with the libertines, Arrian."
<dammitwho> "Deals involving magic are always fraught with resonance and echoes beyond their initial meaning, and in this case giving Awakened magic to be consumed by one of the Damned is ritualistically destroying the Supernal by medium of the foulest thing available."
<@Ferrinus> 12Damn, he's got a point. Of course, he may end up taking it with him to the grave thanks to a lack of vampiric backup, but...
<dammitwho> "In an area already wracked with Paradox and Intrusion. I advise caution, Tombheart. If that is a libertine ideal, fetch me a PDA and sign me up for Twitter."

and i was like drat.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

+1 XP for roleplaying!
+1 XP for i just total mystagogue ownage in my face wow

117 XP total.

61 AXP total.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

btw i'd like to play tomorrow...perhaps actually Make The Escape...??? ionno. the thing is i might be busy for much of tomorrow and no doubt many of you will be as well sooo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i meant saturday, the fourth, but my guess is that nothing will be occurring in the wonderful world of mage at this time

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

if you think the werewolf stuff was lame just wait till you see the changeling stuff

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm running Escape From Witch Mountain tonight

but,

i have to go to a thing

hopefully i'll be back here around 8est though. or maybe a bit later? i don't really care. it's happening

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

okay i wanna run in an hour or two (so like at 8??? 830??) but imo any players i'm gonna have should start filing in as soon as they can so we can get ready, tie up loose ends, and otherwise power the gently caress up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

In preparation for Escape From Witch Mountain I want to make a few spells more streamlined. Here's revised TK:

Telekinesis (Forces ***)
The mage can exert force at a distance, moving things with his mind alone.
Action: Instant; living targets resist reflexively with Resolve + Gnosis
Duration: Concentration
Rote Skill: Athletics or Larceny
Upon success, the caster achieves a remote grip on a targeted object and can cause that object to take an action. A telekinesis has a lifting Strength equal to the sum of the spell's Potency and its caster's Gnosis that determines what objects it can bear aloft, and a normal Strength/Dexterity rating equal to the spell's Potency but capped at the caster's Forces. While the caster maintains concentration on this spell (losing his Defense and moving no farther than his Speed on any turn) he can continue to cause the levitated object to act once per round. He can also cause the object to non-violently move a number of yards equal to twice the spell's Strength by forfeiting either the object's action or his own movement for the turn, or twice that far if he forfeits both.

An object can take any action it could conceivably take if a real person was manipulating it one-handed - a floating gun could fire, a sword could take a swing at a target, a keyboard could type out a message. The object uses the spell's Strength or Dexterity, the caster's own Skills and the object's own equipment bonus to resolve any physical actions. Objects too large for even a very large person to handle cannot be used in this way - a car or massive boulder could be moved to block a passage or dropped on someone's head, but not swung repeatedly like a giant's club.

A caster can expend all the spell's force at once to hurl an object as a projectile rather than manipulating it over multiple turns. In that case, the caster rolls a ranged attack with a range equal to his aimed spell range and a damage dicepool equal to his Gnosis + Forces + the minimum Strength required to lift the thrown object, resisted by a target's Defense and Armor. The damage is usually bashing, but might be lethal in the event of a spiked or bladed object, and might carry additional effects such as points of fire damage or electrocution depending on what is thrown.

A mage with Forces 4 can use this spell on animate creatures. Targets who fail their resistance roll are seized and can be moved around like any other object of their mass while the caster concentrates, though they themselves may act as normal (taking into account the fact that they may be suspended in the air or otherwise not in position to accomplish something they otherwise could). The caster can perform Overpower maneuvers against his target as though grappling, except substitutes this spell's casting dicepool for his own Strength + Brawl and the victim can resist with either his Strength or Resolve. Overpowering maneuvers causing damage represent slamming the victim into some nearby structure and gain a damage bonus and type appropriate to the durability and shape of the object used. With Forces 5, the mage can simply crush his target with force, inflicting bashing damage directly without using the environment (and being resisted by Stamina rather than Strength or Resolve). A levitated creature cannot physically extricate himself from an invisible force, but can will itself free - it spends an instant action to roll Resolve + Gnosis at a penalty of the telekinesis spell's Potency, and escapes on a success.

Casting this spell with target factors enables it to lift more discrete objects or count as having more 'hands' for the purpose of manipulating objects, but does not allow it to lift more total mass than allowed by its lifting strength. The mage can cause every levitated object to act at once, but this is still resolved as one action - for instance, launching several large stones at a target would inflict the same damage as throwing one weighing the same amount. Multiple objects can be used to target multiple characters with the same action, and multiple levitated creatures can be subjected to the same overpowering manuever, but the caster takes a penalty to each dicepool equal to the total number of targets he is trying to affect.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 13, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Psychic Assault (Mind ***)
The caster of this spell assaults the mind of a thinking being with sheer telepathic force. Victims generally experience the attack as a splitting migraine, but it causes no real physical damage and leaves no normal evidence of any kind of assault. Overwhelmed victims simply pass out from the psychic strain, coming to later with no clear idea of what happened to them. Psychic Assault is weaker than most offensive spells, but its covert nature makes it useful in many situations in which lightning bolts or localized earthquakes simply aren't feasible.
Practice: Fraying
Action: Instant, subtract target's Resolve
Duration: Lasting
Aspect: Covert
Cost: 1 Mana
Rote Skill: Intimidation
The victim suffers one point of bashing damage per success. This bashing damage causes wound penalties as normal but can never wrap over into lethal or upgrade existing levels of damage. However, every point of bashing damage done in excess of a target's remaining health total increases his wound penalties until the beginning of his second turn after being struck by the spell, and this extra wound penalty does penalize stamina rolls made to remain conscious.

A mage with Mind 4 can more badly fray a victim's mind. Every success after the second rolled by an Adept inflicts a point of "damage" on the Intelligence and Wits of its target, possibly lowering Defense and penalizing dicepools relating to perception and cognition. This damage cannot reduce an attribute below 1, can be healed as bashing damage and each attribute "heals" back one dot every turn. With Mind 5, each damaged attribute heals at a rate of one dot every fifteen minutes, and can also be healed as lethal damage. Entities that use Power/Finesse/Resistance instead of mental attributes are not subject to this effect, but because of the blurring of their minds and bodies they suffer lethal damage from this spell at the hands of an Adept and (with a surcharge of 1 mana) aggravated damage from a Master.

Though this spell is Covert, it can be prone to cause Disbelief. Sleepers might stare in shock as one among their number clutches at their head and screams, but one dropping after another after another will almost never be accepted as a natural circumstance by a group, and a person whose enemies are known to suddenly develop incapacitating migraines at any confrontation may find his psychic assaults taking on a Vulgar aspect right from the start.

Psychic Sword (Mind ***)
This spell turns the brain on the body, forcing nerves to misfire and vital processes to go haywire. Disciples cause sudden cramping, fatigue, or nausea in targets, while the victims of Adepts appear to manifest any one of a number of sudden and potentially lethal medical conditions, commonly seizures or heart attacks. A master of the Mind arcanum can inflict even greater damage, wreaking havoc with entire organ systems and leaving the victim's body a spasming wreck.
Practice: Unraveling
Action: Instant, subtract higher of target's Resolve or Stamina
Aspect: Covert
Rote Skill: Intimidation
Each success inflicts one point of bashing damage on the target. The mage may inflict lethal at Mind 4, and at Mind 5, an extra point of mana can be spent to deal aggravated. This attack relies on the target having an organic body subject to mishap, so while it will affect a mage or werewolf it will fail on a vampire, zombie, ghost, or spirit. The attack is completely imperceptible to mundane senses (though its effects are generally very obvious), but magical or telepathic senses may be able to detect it. Similarly, paradoxes caused by the spell provoking sleeper Suspicion may conspire to identify its user. Using this spell to inflict lethal or aggravated damage on sapient beings often provokes degeneration checks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Conjure Electricity (Forces ****)
Lights darken, and temperatures drop as the mage converts ambient energy into a potent electric charge that courses through his body. With a thought, he can release it into the world around him.
Practice: Patterning
Action: Instant
Duration: Lasting, Concentration or Transitory
Rote Skill: Occult or Science
Each success rolled adds 2B to the damage of the electric charge, up to a maximum of 10B (although further magic can raise this beyond such natural limits). This charge is contained harmlessly within the caster's body until he ceases concentrating and releases it into an object he touches, which takes damage and conducts normally except that the mage cannot be damaged by his own shock. The mage can only hold one spell's worth of charge at a time - if he recasts this spell while holding a charge, he must choose which one overwrites the other. The electric charge itself is a Lasting effect, so the mage cannot simply choose to dismiss it after conjuring it; the Duration of the spell only measures how long a mage can contain the charge within himself before it escapes. A mage can touch a nearby target as part of the action of casting this spell, possibly requiring a Brawl roll of the target is unwilling.

A mage may treat the electric charge he holds as a normal electric charge for all purposes. He may use his action on any turn to cast spells intended to affect the charge (such as Control Electricity to amplify or dampen it, or Influence Electricity to cast it forth at enemies) without losing concentration.

Each additional Target factor increases the number of shocks this spell can deliver (so by casting at a -4 penalty, the mage creates a charge that can be released three times rather than once), but the mage can only release one charge per round. Duration factors increase the amount of time the mage can retain the charge after he ceases concentrating. With Forces 5, the mage may cast this spell with a Prolonged duration, causing the electric charge to remain locked within him for up to a scene or more without any need for concentration.

At Forces 5, this spell may be cast at Sensory range, though its duration changes to Transitory. Instead of his own body, the mage just creates a furious malestrom of electricity at a point in space or within an object that he can perceive. This might be a single person or a pool of water many people stand in. Either way, the bashing damage the spell deals is applied immediately to the target or targets. Target factors create charges in multiple locations (though the damage from multiple charges does not stack on single targets) and Duration factors cause the charges to last for multiple rounds. If this spell is cast with an area of effect at Forces 5, the area is centered on the caster.

The damage dealt by this spell is treated as completely mundane damage from electricity and is reduced directly by any applicable armor and other damage-reducing supernatural effects so long as some potential means exists (a vampire's superhuman speed allows it to break contact almost immediately, an enchanter's fateful protection allows him to miraculously and inexplicably survive the equivalent of direct lightning strike, a necromancer's entropic shield nullifies and consumes the electricity even as it lashes out). The muscles of enemies damaged by this spell generally lock up and spasm with the voltage; affected enemies must succeed on Strength rolls to move from where they stand on their next turn.

A mage who knows Control Electricity can upgrade it to Conjure Electricity for 2xp, using the same dicepool to cast either spell.

Conjure Fire (Forces ****)
The mage draws on and transmutes other ambient forces to seemingly create flame from nothing.
Practice: Patterning
Action: Instant or Instant and resisted by Stamina or Durability
Rote Skill: Occult or Science
The mage produces a fire somewhere in arm's reach, either producing a flame in his hand (or on/in whatever implement is used to cast the spell) or igniting something he touches. A mage can reflexively touch his target as part of the action used to cast this spell, possibly rolling Strength or Dexterity + Brawl - target's Defense to make contact with an unwilling target. Targets simply exposed to blasts of flame (because the caster released a handful of fire into their face or caused the ground beneath them to erupt into an inferno) take normal fire damage. Targets targeted directly by the spell can subtract their Stamina from its casting pool, but are ignited automatically and continue to burn on subsequent turns.

SIZE:
Torch: (1 Damage)
Bonfire (2 Damage, mostly covers human-sized target)
Inferno (3 Damage, completely covers human-sized target)

HEAT:
Candle (-)
Torch (+1 Damage)
Bunsen Burner (+2 Damage)
Chemical Fire/Molten Metal (+3 Damage)

One success produces a candle-intensity flame the size of a torch, and each further success can increase the size and heat of the flame by one step. The spell produces a natural fire, so it can inflict a maximum of six damage without amplification by other magic. Flames conjured on the bodies of casters exist only as potential fires - they produce light and warmth, but do not burn until released. A mage holding a conjured fire may continue to hold it as long as he concentrates, and for free for as many rounds as he allots himself by adding transitory Duration factors to the spell. He may continue to "concentrate" on the fire while casting spells that affect it such as Control Fire or Influence Fire. Without such magic, the mage cannot hurl or otherwise supernaturally manipulate his conjured flame (not even to snuff it out) except by reflexively releasing it onto whatever he may be touching.

Fire damage is inflicted immediately upon first contact with a fire (so, at the moment of creation with this spell), as well as at the end of the turn of anyone in contact with a flame who has not taken damage since the end of their last turn. Armor subtracts directly from fire damage, though mundane armor can only protect against a fire for a number of consecutive turns equal to its rating. Characters that spend more than one turn within a fire are themselves ignited (though Intensity and Size are both reduced one step), taking continuous damage until the fire is put out. A burning character can attempt to smother the fire. If he gives up his movement, he can roll the higher of his Strength or Dexterity, penalized by the flames' Intensity. If he instead uses an instant action, he can add the higher of his Athletics or Survival to the roll. Each success decreases the Size of the flames by one step, and

With Forces 5, a mage can cast this spell at sensory range and add target factors to combust multiple targets. Objects targeted by the spell burn for a minimum of one round (and may continue to burn if they are naturally flammable). If the mage instead targets a point in space, fire simply erupts from nowhere, inflicts damage to all nearby, and vanishes a split second later.

A mage who knows the Control Fire rote can upgrade it to this rote for 2 experience points, using the same dicepool to cast either spell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PATCH 1.2

Vulgar spells don't increase your arcanum rating by 1 for the purpose of dicepools and static values only - they just add 2 dice to your pool.

Everyone hear me? Vulgar spell: Costs more mana, +2 dice. That's it. Make a note.

Every mage armor spell now gains an extra feature: if you cast it as a vulgar spell, the protection it provides is 1 higher than normal.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Began the exciting, railroad-centric conclusion to the Enoch storyline!

+2 XP for HOLY GOD

119 XP total.

+1 AXP for witnessing the kind of bullshit Master+ mages get up to when they clash.

62 AXP total.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attention magebros: I'd like to continue running this wacky escapade thing...tomorrow! Or rather, later today, as I'm writing this at 3:03AM. If you guys are around at like 2PM EST tomorrow...we can continue to romp through the war-torn and paradox-blasted Smokey Mountains national park!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Continued the exciting, railroad-centric conclusion to the Enoch storyline!

+2 XP for makin' progress

121 XP total.

62 AXP total.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i, uh. hrm. it seems i am not actually available this coming saturday or probably sunday morning??? not sure what to do about this

e:

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 13, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

"Guys! They're asking me for an ID number! Whadda I tell 'em?"

*starwipe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

wahaha you got trolled by stygia so fuckin hard bro