Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

Lixer posted:

Recipe

Thanks! I will definitely be making these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskratlove
Mar 22, 2004

He could throw you down a flight of stairs, but you still would love him anyway...
Does a cheeseCAKE count?

Seeing the Obama cakes from election day made me want to post this. My friend's birthday was on Inauguration Day, and she really wanted a cheesecake.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I wish I would've waited until the day of to add the fruit and whipped cream (instead of the day before, when this was taken). The whipped cream didn't hold up and was really runny. It was still quite tasty, especially given that I'm lactose intolerant.

I'm not hope intolerant though :obama:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I just remembered my white trash Valentine's day cake which I think is appropriate.

The lettering is so lovely because my hands kept melting the buttercream in the bag as I was piping. Stupid delicious melty non-crisco buttercream! :argh:

La Croux
May 10, 2007

Proud member since 2010 <3
Excellent! This is just the thread I was looking for.

A co worker has recently asked me to make her husband a birthday cake. I haven't done TOO much planing, but I know these things:

-It's gonna be a snare drum
-Decorated with fondant
-I want to make some drumsticks
-Also, some sheet music with "Happy Birthday Ted" written on it.
-It's gonna feed about.. 15 people

HALP.
I've worked with fondant before... and it turned out.. alright I suppose. It was alos home made fonant, so.. not so tastey.

My main concern is how too get enough cake too feed all the people.

Oh and also storagae. How long could I make this in advanced before it goes ew?

Any tips on ANYTHING would be vair much appreciated.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It should be simple enough. I would use 3 9" rounds split & filled. That's plenty for 15 people and it should stack up to look enough like a snare. Fondant in and of itself isn't that fantastic tasting (I'm speaking of true fondant, I've never tried those marshmallow/other random melted candy "fondants") but it will give you a nice looking end product.

When it comes to storage, you have a few things to think about. What type of filing are you using, what type of fondant are you using, what type of cake you are using, what temperature will the cake be in etc. etc. etc. If you were using a very dense cake with royal icing and true fondant you're shelf life at room temperature would be much, much longer than if you're using a butter cake with true buttercream and some other type of fondant. In general however you can bake your cake whenever, wrap them tightly and freeze until you need them, it's what the pros do. If you give us an idea of what the interior of the cake will be we can provide a more exact time frame of it's shelf life.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Rubber Nugget posted:

-I want to make some drumsticks

In addition to the good advice above, I may suggest just buying some drumsticks. Otherwise dyed white modeling chocolate around a dowel would work.

Yeah, fondant is pretty gross in general but the homemade (with marshmallows) is better than store bought.

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

Lixer posted:

the homemade (with marshmallows) is better than store bought.
I've always heard this. Why don't they sell the marshmallow kind?

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
I don't know. You'd think someone somewhere would come up with a package-able GOOD tasting fondant because the marshmallow recipe takes forever and is hard to get the consistency just right at home.

Nysven
Apr 15, 2005
You got a good sarsaparilla?

Lixer posted:

I don't know. You'd think someone somewhere would come up with a package-able GOOD tasting fondant because the marshmallow recipe takes forever and is hard to get the consistency just right at home.

Albeit I've only made the marshmallow fondant once; I tossed everything into my stand mixer with the dough hook (bowl and hook coated with crisco) and it was pretty much good to go. No cracking or anything when I rolled it out and used it. Was that luck?

And yeah, normal fondant is terrible. Not sure why there isn't a good tasting one with how popular it has become. Not to mention the :20bux: it rolls in.

Birdie
Mar 12, 2005

i will now provide the world's first 100% accurate translation of birdsong into english fuck offffffffff
I've heard that Satin Ice and Chocopan are traditional fondants that actually taste good, but I haven't tried either yet. Satin Ice is supposed to be the better of the two.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I hate to nit-pick, but neither are fondant. The first is a softer type of modeling chocolate and the second, well I'm not quite sure what it is. The fact that it doesn't say anywhere on its website bothers me somewhat.

But to add some actual advice about the snare drum, please, please make sure you get your base coat of icing smooth, your layers perfectly level and make sure before you apply your fondant that you have a perfect looking cake. Every single minor imperfection will be magnified x10 once it's been covered.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

You sure? I'm pretty sure Satin Ice is fondant, not modeling chocolate.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
The first one listed is modeling chocolate, the second, I'm not sure what it is. They just say icing without telling what it's made of, but it's not traditional.

Edit- I'd just like to point out that when I say traditional, I mean traditional. As in classic fondant. I really dislike the look of fondant covered cakes so I don't work with fondant. My limited experience is with true, real, authentic, classical fondant. The kind of stuff you can't really buy unless you search far and wide for it. I'm not saying it's better or anything just that I have only worked with real fondant.

Even though I strongly dislike it, I do enjoy making real fondant.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 11, 2009

Birdie
Mar 12, 2005

i will now provide the world's first 100% accurate translation of birdsong into english fuck offffffffff
I'm pretty sure the Satin Ice is fondant (says fondant pretty much everywhere on the site) but yeah, Chocopan isn't. Hurr. Just passing on links some people gave to me :)

ETA: I think at any rate, no matter what they are, they'd still work out and not taste like that horrible Wilton sludge.

Birdie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2009

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Psychobabble posted:

The first one listed is modeling chocolate, the second, I'm not sure what it is. They just say icing without telling what it's made of, but it's not traditional.

Edit- I'd just like to point out that when I say traditional, I mean traditional. As in classic fondant. I really dislike the look of fondant covered cakes so I don't work with fondant. My limited experience is with true, real, authentic, classical fondant. The kind of stuff you can't really buy unless you search far and wide for it. I'm not saying it's better or anything just that I have only worked with real fondant.

Even though I strongly dislike it, I do enjoy making real fondant.

I uh...don't know what you mean, still. There's two types of fondant, did you mean the poured kind? That's like the same that's inside those Cadbury eggs (which I don't like, but that's just me). Then there is rolled fondant, which is, obviously, the type that's rolled onto cakes and such. I don't understand how Satin Ice is not "real fondant" because from what I've known of it, it's regular old rolling fondant. Did you mean it's not the poured stuff and therefore not "real"?

Tomkat
Jul 23, 2007

Tom Cruise <3 Katie Holmes.
Katie Holmes <3 Tom Cruise.
:yaycloud:
Question: What's the best way to put sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or shreds of coconut on a side of a cake? Every time I try it doesn't look that great and the task is pretty tedious.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

You can try holding it in your hand and lightly patting it on as far as the sprinkles or coconut goes. I've not tried this with chocolate curls, though, and don't recommend this method for those since they're so delicate. There's also the "throw it on the cake" method where you actually like, toss it in the cake's direction, but this obviously is rather messy. Just be sure you have a soft and tacky icing before you do either. If it gets a crust it's drat near impossible to get it to stick unless you can get rid of that.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

I uh...don't know what you mean, still. There's two types of fondant, did you mean the poured kind? That's like the same that's inside those Cadbury eggs (which I don't like, but that's just me). Then there is rolled fondant, which is, obviously, the type that's rolled onto cakes and such. I don't understand how Satin Ice is not "real fondant" because from what I've known of it, it's regular old rolling fondant. Did you mean it's not the poured stuff and therefore not "real"?

No, I mean classic fondant, a sugar syrup that has been manually worked to cause it to crystallize in a certain way yielding a malleable white dough made of pure sugar. The amount of crystallization and water content are what determine weather it's pourable or malleable. It doesn't contain the fat and other additives that are in other "fondants."

And to Tomkat, my method follows-

Secure your cake to a cardboard round and ice as needed
Position a large sheet tray on your workspace (a large sheet of parchment works as well)
Balance the cake on your weak hand and use your dominant hand to apply the decorations
Take a handful of the items and put the edge of your palm to the bottom edge of the cake and angle your hand up to adhere the dec.
Allow the remainder to fall back onto the sheet
Repeat until beautiful

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I just did this for my parents' anniversary:

And what's inside?

It's a 6-layer dobosh torte with chocolate buttercream frosting inside and a semisweet chocolate ganache outside. In retrospect, those slices I cut were really f-in' huge...

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 12, 2009

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

In addition to being St Patrick's day, yesterday was my mothers and my nieces birthday. So of course my mom wanted a green cake and since it was like 75F outside I went with a lime cake. I used the Cook's Illustrated Lemon layer cake but used lime instead. I had to add a bit of green food coloring to the curd in order to get it lime-like. This was my first time making a curd of any sort and I think I should have cooled it a bit more because the cake slices wanted to topple after I cut them, but it tasted fantastic. The curd was quite sour which went fantastic with the sweetness of the frosting and lightness of the cake.

nordicnerd
Jan 7, 2009

PezMaster posted:

These look like the far more delicious cousins of the birthday cake decorations my sister and I made a few years ago.

The sashimi etc. is made of "fruit" slice gummy candies with brushed corn syrup for that fish-like shine. The rice is shredded candied coconut, the nori is made from a bunch of rolled out black licorice gummy bears, chopsticks are chopsticks, and all are planted on homemade chocolate cake. There should definitely be a food that looks like other food thread.

On Saturday, I'm making a stained glass cake for my mom's birthday, involving broken pieces of colored caramelized sugar. (I'll post pictures if it actually works.) Have any of you worked with sugar pulling/blowing/spinning?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

nordicnerd posted:

On Saturday, I'm making a stained glass cake for my mom's birthday, involving broken pieces of colored caramelized sugar. (I'll post pictures if it actually works.) Have any of you worked with sugar pulling/blowing/spinning?

A candy thermometer is key! Are you going to be using dry pigment for colour?

Also, while it's boiling, don't fool around with it too much. You don't want any chance for it to become contaminated and crystallize.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 27, 2009

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

nordicnerd posted:

I'll post pictures if it actually works.) Have any of you worked with sugar pulling/blowing/spinning?
Spun sugar is very different than blowing and pulling. It's pretty foolproof and between blowing and pulling, blowing is very, very, very difficult and takes some specialized equipment to create anything. A sugar shelf, heat gun, torches, air cans, pipes, specialized shaping utensils, etc. Pulling is pretty simple, though you still need a sugar shelf (the box with heat lamps used to hold the sugar at a workable temp) but it's a much simpler process of working it. What exactly is your idea, I might be able to offer some advice.

Either way, be extremely careful, have a bowl of ice water handy as well as pastry brushes, candy thermometer, silpat. Do your research, I doubt that you'll get any variety of color that will show up in caramel though.

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.
Stargate cake!

Stargate cake I made for boyfriend's birthday. Chocolate devil's food, with mint white chocolate ganache, buttercream and homemade mint marshmallow.

Making of videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifbXZEuU9Y

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Fight Club posted:

Stargate cake!

Stargate cake I made for boyfriend's birthday. Chocolate devil's food, with mint white chocolate ganache, buttercream and homemade mint marshmallow.

Making of videos here:

Wow that looks like it would have taken a long time. Nicely done!

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

Fight Club posted:

Stargate cake!

This is great. I really like the middle blue texture effect. (And laughed out loud at the last shot of the video.)

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
Holy crap, some of these are really impressive.

I just finished this up for a friend's birthday:

I should have trimmed the edges more carefully, there was a bit of an overhang that made the chocolate flow oddly, and then my pan wasn't level so when I walked away the top layer slid a bit to the side. Live and learn.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

jollygrinch posted:

Holy crap, some of these are really impressive.

I just finished this up for a friend's birthday:

I should have trimmed the edges more carefully, there was a bit of an overhang that made the chocolate flow oddly, and then my pan wasn't level so when I walked away the top layer slid a bit to the side. Live and learn.
Are the little squiggles caramel or sugar? Very pretty!

Here's what I've been up to:

Spring Break cake for the staff room (teachers love rainbow cakes!)

For my sister's birthday, a quick chocolate yogurt cake with our favourite red-head:

Also, I don't have any pictures, but le boyfriend and I made this little beauty last night. I would recommend it to anyone who loves key limes:
Key Lime Coconut Cake

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

PezMaster posted:

Are the little squiggles caramel or sugar? Very pretty!

Eh, both :v: It's 1/2 a cup of sugar melted in about a tablespoon of water and cooked until it turns amber. First time I've tried something like it. I burned the first batch (lovely odor) because I underestimated how much it would continue cooking off heat. The designs are pretty awkward and clumsy and the sugar goes from too thin to too thick almost lightning quick. It's fun though, so I'm going to have fun practicing.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Mrs. E. M. Carnes's Old Fashioned Ginger Cake, recipe from an early 20th century church cookbook from Abbeville, Georgia. I guess it's hella old fashioned now. This is an older pic, but I made the cake again today to break in the KitchenAid I just traded from a friend. Is so tasty.

Futureperfect
Apr 9, 2009

Fight Club posted:

Stargate cake!

Making of videos here:

Wow that looks like it took a lot of time, and it looks amazing!!

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.

Futureperfect posted:

Wow that looks like it took a lot of time, and it looks amazing!!

Thanks! I started making the chocolate chevrons the Wednesday before I needed the cake, baked, iced, and marshmallow-ed the cake on Saturday, and did the piping, painting, and final assembly on Sunday. The cake was served on a Monday. You can see a time lapse of the piping here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4oUzIqyI9M

And more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30067078@N06/sets/72157607030642858/

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Probably my most favorite cake I've done.

It has horns, but not installed in the picture.
I'll get a final picture up later.

It took him 4 days to get the nerve to cut this, too.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
Wow. And I though Stargate was amazing. I'd be reluctant to cut into it as well.

Stargate cake is still awesome, though.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Flantastic posted:

Probably my most favorite cake I've done.

It has horns, but not installed in the picture.
I'll get a final picture up later.

It took him 4 days to get the nerve to cut this, too.

This is probably the most impressive cake I've ever seen. I'd be hesitant to cut it as well :monocle:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
NWS - BETTY COCKER

https://wi.somethingawful.com/20/2079cfded6f0c17ce2e6acd404a1c9d8c86572f1.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ea/eab6180c243810a2573ee0d1f04d5d6109e0297e.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ef/efa78f5f8820e15c57be59d3025411e37ffc88b0.jpg

oy!
https://wi.somethingawful.com/d3/d32ebcb39ef81bc1c68993fbddf2abbce00c0075.jpg

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Thread is over here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3181527

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 26, 2010

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That is awesome.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I made those cinnamon frosted pumpkin cupcakes that were mentioned earlier on. It's my first baked product that isn't from a box! They turned out pretty good. Well, super rich, but good! Thanks for the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
Has anyone here successfully made shiny/glossy fondant? I'm trying to achieve this look and am having a hard time finding info on it. I've been told that mixing water and corn syrup together and using a spray bottle works. Anyone else have any tips? I'm looking for this kind of shine:

Edited to add cake pics:

I made marshmallow fondant for the first time this past weekend and what a success. It was so much easier than I had imagined. I microwaved 2 cups of mini marshmallows with 2 tbsp of water for 30 seconds. Took it out, stirred it up, and added 1 cup of confectioner's sugar. Stirred some more... then added another cup.. incorporated it all and then turned it onto my work surface where I kneaded it and added more powdered sugar until it was the right consistency. Here's how it looked on the cake (crappy iPhone pics):

Frosted cake (not as smooth as I would have liked, but it was being covered so it was ok):

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Covered:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Ribbon around bottom of cake:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Slice:

Side view - I rolled the fondant out thin and it was so easy to cut through, even with a fork:

jennyinstereo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 13, 2009

• Locked thread