Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just made this. I thought maybe it was a cake, or a pie in english but apparently it's called a crumble. Made with lingonberries (picked & turned into jam by us), my mom used to make these and I got the recipe from her, first attempt. Slightly overdone.

They do look gorgeous, but if you called that a crumble and served it to people in the UK, they would be very confused. A crumble here is like a pie but with a flour and butter crumbled topping instead of pastry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cocteau posted:

Those.look.amazing.

Recipe?

Thanks, sure here's the recipe.

quote:

The dough
450ml flour (1.9 cups)
150ml sugar (0.6 cups)
3 tsp baking powder
150g butter (5.3oz)
1 egg

Filling: 200ml lingonberry jam (I find the best jam is the one you make when you simply crush the berries and mix with sugar, no cooking of anything).

Crumbly stuff:
150ml oats (rolled oats I believe) (0.6 cups)
100ml sugar (0.4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla sugar
50g melted margarine (1.7oz) (shortening?)

Directions:

Mix together the ingredients of the dough, except the egg, whip it and add it after you've mixed the dough a while. Then pour it out into a greased sheet pan (the normal pan for this here is 30x40cm or 11x15") and flatten it out across the pan.

Then simply spread out the lingonberry jam evenly over the dough.

The crumbly stuff on top is made by simply mixing all the ingredients together, then you just toss it randomly over the whole thing.

Into the oven at 225C (440F) for 20-25 minutes. Better check this, I was busy with something and forgot to check until the beeper went off and I probably should've brought them out at 20 mins. Ovens vary and all that.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I need ideas for decorating a chocolate cake. Any suggestions?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Just made this. I thought maybe it was a cake, or a pie in english but apparently it's called a crumble. Made with lingonberries (picked & turned into jam by us), my mom used to make these and I got the recipe from her, first attempt. Slightly overdone.

FYI, in America those would be a variation on bar cookies. Crumble usually is a fruit, without crust, baked in a dish and topped with a crumbly struesel-type stuff. It's scooped out with a spoon and doesn't have a structure, really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh okay, I have no idea really what their proper name would be. According to my mom they're called "Smulkaka" here or "crumbly cake".

Also I think next time I will add 1/3rd more lingonberry jam, and with less sugar.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Does anyone know if I can use Sugarflair food colouring paste to do the colours in a rainbow cake? I may or may not have been bragging about my rainbow baking skills to my new co-workers and now they seem to all have a hankering for rainbow cupcakes. I normally use Wilton gels, but I don't have mine right now(just emigrated, most of my baking equipment is at my parents' house until I can come back and collect it).

Edit: I just remembered I have an amazon voucher from a couple of months ago. Looks like I'm getting new wilton stuff

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 4, 2011

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

clarabelle posted:

Does anyone know if I can use Sugarflair food colouring paste to do the colours in a rainbow cake? I may or may not have been bragging about my rainbow baking skills to my new co-workers and now they seem to all have a hankering for rainbow cupcakes. I normally use Wilton gels, but I don't have mine right now(just emigrated, most of my baking equipment is at my parents' house until I can come back and collect it).

Edit: I just remembered I have an amazon voucher from a couple of months ago. Looks like I'm getting new wilton stuff

Oh man, if you haven't already bought your colors, totally look into Americolor gel. I recently made a birthday cake for a friend's sister and was able to dye my white fondant (all I had on hand) perfectly black with not too much dye. I friggin love that stuff.

Besides my black and red dyes, though, I do use Wilton just because it's way more readily available.

I'll be back later to post the results of my wedding cakes experiments. I was a little disappointed, but it went over well, so I guess that's all that matters.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

PezMaster posted:

Chocolate-Sauerkraut Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting.
Made these from your recipe (adjusted for my ridiculously high altitude), PezMaster, and they were fabulous! My husband wasn't in on the peanutbutter frosting so I did a peppermint frosting at his request. I had totally intended to take photos but obviously I need to do that as soon as they're made next time; these suckers were hoovered up by my family and coworkers in record time. Can't wait to try those maple oatmeal cookies next :)

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Excuse me while I grumble and hate the world for a while

My Wilton gels still haven't arrived in spite of me paying for express delivery. I wanted to bring in rainbow cupcakes for the first day of my new job. Since that's tomorrow, I tried making the cupcakes using my sugarflair colours. I've only just moved into this new place, so I don't know if it was the oven or the food colouring, but the entire batch spilled over, burned, and went weird and gooey inside with some of the colours where they were supposed to be and some parts of the batter had apparently rejected the colour completely

Bah

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My cake pans.

I had dishwashed them for most of their life. Pulled them out one day and this happened. They're Wilton pans. Are they not dishwasher safe? Is there any way to save this, or is it time to get new ones?

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Bean posted:

My cake pans.
I had dishwashed them for most of their life. Pulled them out one day and this happened. They're Wilton pans. Are they not dishwasher safe? Is there any way to save this, or is it time to get new ones?

Now you have an excuse to get some of their new line of Ultra Gold pans! I think they just wear out after a while.
Are there any KY goons here? I found out Chef Duff from Ace of Cakes is coming and hosting a cake decorating competition.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Oh okay, I have no idea really what their proper name would be. According to my mom they're called "Smulkaka" here or "crumbly cake".

Also I think next time I will add 1/3rd more lingonberry jam, and with less sugar.

I believe the American version of the UK Crumble is a Cobbler? Either way, those things look delicious!

SkeletorJones
Jan 4, 2007

I have been baking like a crazy person for the last few weeks and here are some of the fruits of my labor. We have a slightly under baked Cream Cheese Coffee Cake and a Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake, with a glaze that never really firmed up like it was supposed to. Both recipes are from ATK/Cooks Illustrated.

SkeletorJones fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 9, 2011

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
I have, once again, put green vegetables into cake.

Pea cupcakes with sour cream frosting (so much better than that cream cheese poo poo) and candied mint. I wasn't drunk this time, but I will admit that I took a few too many pain killers.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

PezMaster posted:

I have, once again, put green vegetables into cake.

Pea cupcakes with sour cream frosting (so much better than that cream cheese poo poo) and candied mint. I wasn't drunk this time, but I will admit that I took a few too many pain killers.

And? How were they? This sounds really interesting (sweet peas?) and I'm dying to know.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.
I'm making my husband a sushi cake for his birthday, to look like a salmon roe maki roll. Candied angelica for the seaweed, coconut for the top. However, I have a problem with the roe. Glace cherries are the obvious thing to use but he hates them. I can't find any jelly sweets of the right look, even though I live near a sweetshop. I'm thinking of making orange jelly (Jello) in a chocolate truffle mould, so I get lots of round pieces of jelly to pile up. Would this work? Any tips or better ideas? I'm in the UK, so don't have access to eg Fruit Rolls.

SkeletorJones
Jan 4, 2007

Shonagon posted:

I'm making my husband a sushi cake for his birthday, to look like a salmon roe maki roll. Candied angelica for the seaweed, coconut for the top. However, I have a problem with the roe. Glace cherries are the obvious thing to use but he hates them. I can't find any jelly sweets of the right look, even though I live near a sweetshop. I'm thinking of making orange jelly (Jello) in a chocolate truffle mould, so I get lots of round pieces of jelly to pile up. Would this work? Any tips or better ideas? I'm in the UK, so don't have access to eg Fruit Rolls.

I'd make the "Jigglers" recipe of Jello, 2-1/2 cups boiling water, 2 pkg. (8-serving size each) JELL-O Gelatin, any flavor. It holds it's shape much better and isn't as sensitive to temperature changes.

Another perk of the more solid consistency is that you probably could make your roe by just scooping them out with a melon baller, rather than having to use a mold.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

And? How were they? This sounds really interesting (sweet peas?) and I'm dying to know.

Really really good . . . In a way that I've really never tasted before. It had a natural sweetness, and a really great bite of olive oil at the end of it. It only tasted vaguely of peas. The frosting was absolutely awesome.

Shonagon posted:

I'm making my husband a sushi cake for his birthday, to look like a salmon roe maki roll.

When I made a sushi cake, I used Maynard's Swedish Berries as my roe. They might be too small for what you're thinking of, though. How about candied papaya cut into circles?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
As the sole paddy in my new workplace, it has fallen to me to make a St. Patrick's Day cake. I'm trying to decide between a chocolate cake decorated to look like a pint of Guinness or rainbow cupcakes with pots of gold on top (or a rainbow cake with just one pot of gold). The problem with doing a cake is that it requires cutlery. Cupcakes can just be taken back to one's desk, eating a cake takes effort

I considered doing Guinness cupcakes, but apparently bringing baked goods that smell of stout into a workplace is inappropriate

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Really really good . . . In a way that I've really never tasted before. It had a natural sweetness, and a really great bite of olive oil at the end of it. It only tasted vaguely of peas. The frosting was absolutely awesome.

Can I get a recipe? This sounds interesting.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

clarabelle posted:

As the sole paddy in my new workplace, it has fallen to me to make a St. Patrick's Day cake.

One of my baking buddies has an Irish Coffee cupcake recipe that's awesome. No disgusting green food colouring, and not enough booze to get you sent home from work.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Can I get a recipe? This sounds interesting.

I hope you mean interesting in a good way :(

C&C Cakery posted:

Makes 20 cupcakes

2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of peas (pureed)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1) Preheat your oven to 375F. In a small bowl, combine and whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well emulsified. Add the vanilla, peas, oil and lemon juice, and continue to whisk until everything is well combined. Add the flour and, with a wooden spoon, stir lightly until just combined.

3) Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for about 15 minutes, or until your cake tester comes our clean. Set out to cool before frosting

Sour Cream Frosting
1/4 cup butter (warmed)
1/3 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

1) Add the butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt together and mix in a large bowl. When everything is well combined, add the icing sugar, bit by bit, until you've gotten the right consistency (light, fluffy, and forming soft peaks). With a small off-set knife, spread the icing onto your cooled cupcakes.

Candied Mint
Fresh mint leaves
Egg white, slightly beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 drop spearmint extract

1) Wash your mint leaves and carefully dry. Add the extract to your egg white/water mixture and whisk a bit more. Pour out your sugar onto a plate.

2) Dip each leaf, one at a time, into the egg white mixture. Get off any excess egg white, and cover both sides with sugar. Lay leaves out on a piece of wax paper to dry until crisp. Top cupcakes and enjoy.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Bean posted:

My cake pans.

Your pan looks a lot like my new pans that I put in the dishwasher accidentally. Mine are aluminum and the dishwasher detergent caused the discoloration. It's still fine to bake with.

Also, I haven't tried it yet but I've read that if you fill the pans with water, add two tablespoons of cream of tartar and a tablespoon of white vinegar, then boil the water for ten minutes, you can wash off the stains.

ETA: I put my three discolored 6" pans in a stockpot, filled it with water, added 2 T of cream of tartar and a tablespoon of lemon juice and let it boil. After 15 minutes it had removed about 98% of the discoloration. Yay!

Staryberry fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 14, 2011

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

PezMaster posted:

One of my baking buddies has an Irish Coffee cupcake recipe that's awesome. No disgusting green food colouring, and not enough booze to get you sent home from work.

I hope you mean interesting in a good way :(

[url=http://cccakery.blogspot.com/2011/03/green-thumb-sweet-pea-cupcakes-with.html]

I certainly do! I wouldn't want to check out the recipe if it didn't sound like something tasty. :) Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get my hands on some peas and mint leaves.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
A baking and sugarcraft supplies store is opening up literally two minutes away from where I work. There go all my future paychecks

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Genoise with apricot filling and Italian buttercream. I hate my rosettes :(

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Hobo Camp posted:

Wow, that's pretty. Apricot filling, huh? I bet that was delicious.

GloriousRobotSatan
Feb 26, 2008

No! Play a record! PLAY A RECORD!
Yesterday was Pi day, so:

It's a very pretentious chocolate pie with cream cheese topping.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Wow, that's pretty. Apricot filling, huh? I bet that was delicious.

It had a very grandma taste. It even looks like something that would be sitting on grandma's counter. But I had fun torching it!

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Hobo Camp posted:

Did you brulee your Italian buttercream? I'm surprised the butter didn't just melt! What was your process?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Why the gently caress do I keep saying butter cream? It was Italian meringue.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
St. Patrick's Day cupcakes went down a storm at work, although apparently a rumour went around that I'd put Guinness in them.
I'm not quite sure how anyone could eat a vanilla cupcake and think "this tastes Guinness-y"

Anyway, the pictures:

Crock of gold:

Pint of Guinness:

Shamrock (I can't draw them and it seems I sure as hell can't sugar-sculpt them):

Leprechaun hat:

And of course I can never pass up the chance to bust out my Wilton gels

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My husband's birthday was today (St. Patrick's Day), so for the family get together, I made Guinness chocolate cake with Bailey's (italian and french) buttercream frosting and Jameson ganache. I made an Irish Cake Bomb.

No pictures as of right now, but the only person who didn't like it was a five year old because she only eats the frosting and it wasn't crisco and powdered sugar.

LargeHadronColada
Jun 11, 2009

clarabelle posted:

St. Patrick's Day cupcakes went down a storm at work, although apparently a rumour went around that I'd put Guinness in them.

You haven't lived until you've eaten Guinness cake with cream cheese frosting. Seriously - it's a game-changer. Looks like this:

Recipe:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

Incredible. I'll make it again soon enough and post my own pictures!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was going to make a green velvet cake for (a late) St. Patrick's Day, but then forgot the cream cheese when I went shopping for ingredients :smith:

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Ok, there's something I don't get. Cream cheese frosting sounds vile. Why would you put cheese on a cake?

(Don't hate me for hating cheese, it just grosses me out)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

clarabelle posted:

Ok, there's something I don't get. Cream cheese frosting sounds vile. Why would you put cheese on a cake?

It's traditional on carrot cake. I've only made a carrot cake once in my life, didn't wait for the cake to cool fully before slapping the cream cheese on and god that was disgusting. Never again.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

clarabelle posted:

I'm guessing you don't like cheesecake, then? Cream cheese icing is like a lighter, whipped up version that you can spread (at least the recipe I have is like that.) Some versions I've had are like a tangy buttercream and others are more liquid and can be drizzled over a cake. It makes sense if you like cheesecake, I guess.

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

clarabelle posted:

I'm not a big fan of cream cheese either, but its good for those who don't like really sweet frostings. I've never met a frosting that was too sweet for me, but it is nice that it can be lighter and more tangy, like cocoavalley said.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't like cream cheese by itself (I'm not a big cheese person) but cream cheese frosting is quite possibly the greatest thing known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Astronaut ice cream cupcakes for Kirk's birthday (which was on the 22nd). I'd post the recipe but it seriously was a big pain in the rear end. It took up every bowl in my test kitchen (and that's a lot of bowls). Tasted absolutely amazing, though.

• Locked thread