Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

PezMaster posted:

Astronaut ice cream cupcakes for Kirk's birthday (which was on the 22nd). I'd post the recipe but it seriously was a big pain in the rear end. It took up every bowl in my test kitchen (and that's a lot of bowls). Tasted absolutely amazing, though.

Post it anyway, those look delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

PezMaster posted:

Astronaut ice cream cupcakes for Kirk's birthday (which was on the 22nd). I'd post the recipe but it seriously was a big pain in the rear end. It took up every bowl in my test kitchen (and that's a lot of bowls). Tasted absolutely amazing, though.

But I want them!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Third Murderer posted:

Post it anyway, those look delicious!

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

But I want them!

You guys are nuts.

C&C Cakery posted:

The Captain Kirk
Neapolitan Astronaut Ice Cream Cupcake

Makes five cupcakes - just enough for your away team

1/8 cup butter, soft
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp fine salt
1/4 cup milk, divided
2 packages of neapolitan astronaut ice cream, one package of astronaut ice cream sandwich
1 egg white
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cocoa powder

1)Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk, then divide the dry ingredients equally between two small bowls. Whisk the cocoa powder into one of the bowls. Set both the bowls aside.

2) Open up your packages of ice cream and cut apart the three flavours. Place the vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and cookie (off of the ice cream sandwich) all in small bowls. With a mortar and pestle, crush up the vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate very finely. Take 1/8 cup of milk into the strawberry and an 1/8 cup into the chocolate. Stir until all the pieces have disintegrated (add a splash more milk if needed).

3) Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix. Divide the wet ingredients in half and add the chocolate milk to part of the butter mixture and the strawberry milk to the other half. Whisk the chocolate and the strawberry so everything is evenly mixed. With a wooden spoon, mix in one bowl of dry ingredients into the strawberry and the other bowl of dry ingredients (the one with the cocoa) into the chocolate. Mix until just incorporated.

4) In another bowl, whisk the egg white until it reaches stiff peaks. Take roughly half of the egg white and fold it carefully into the strawberry. Do the same with the other half of the egg and the chocolate batter.

5) Scoop a spoonful of chocolate into five cupcake liners, enough to fill half the cup. Fill the cups the rest of the way with scoops of strawberry. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean. Set aside until cool before icing.

Vanilla Ice Cream Frosting
1 egg white
1/4 cup sugar
a pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, soft & in small pieces
The vanilla part of three astronaut ice cream packages
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1) Crush the vanilla ice cream up into a fine powder. Take a couple small pieces of butter, melt them in a bowl, then stir in the vanilla powder. Set aside to cool.

2) Set the egg white and sugar on top of a double boiler (on medium) and whisk until all the granules have gone. Take off the stove, add the cream of tartar, and whisk with an electric mixer until its formed stiff peaks. Add all the cubes of butter slowly (including the cooled vanilla butter) and mix until smooth (this process might take away - but stick with it!). Add the vanilla and mix until everything is even. Ice the cooled cupcakes and top with crumbled freeze-dried cookies.

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh
made my first cake in a while from scratch

yellow cake, vanilla buttercream frosting, and strawberry filling

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010
Today, I made my first angel food cake and despite a messy start because I bought the wrong type of pan, it turned out pretty well. It may be amateur, but it sure was good.

I did get a nice golden brown crust.

I even made my own strawberry-orange reduction, which turned out even better than the cake.

I'm also an amateur at plating...another lesson learned

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Those both look delicious.

PezMaster posted:

You guys are nuts.

And so do these. It will take me a while to remember to get my hands on astronaut ice cream but I WILL make these, I MUST.

edit: Gonna put Picard on mine though :colbert:

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

A Kimbasaur posted:

Today, I made my first angel food cake and despite a messy start because I bought the wrong type of pan, it turned out pretty well. It may be amateur, but it sure was good.

I did get a nice golden brown crust.

I even made my own strawberry-orange reduction, which turned out even better than the cake.

I'm also an amateur at plating...another lesson learned

Inspired me to give it a shot! I love angel food cake, and berries. I just sliced some strawberries up though, it's 2am and I don't feel like getting fancy :P

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
I'll have to dig up pictures of the cakes I've made. That peanut butter chocolate one has become the bane of my existence, since everyone wants it now.

Next week I'll be making Black Forrest cake for someone's birthday but kids will be there as well, so at the request of the party planner, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for non alcoholic Black Forrest cake they can vouche for?

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

BOOTY PIRATE posted:

Never mind all that, where did you get the guitar headstock panhandle? It's great & I want one!

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Frazzbo posted:

Never mind all that, where did you get the guitar headstock panhandle? It's great & I want one!

I got it from beyond the wall, specifially the one in Philly. I don't see it on there website, but perhapse it's still in stores? I just got it a couple weeks ago. The one in Philly is closing down Thursday, and everything is like 80% off (got it for like 2 bucks)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Help me, cake people! I tried something a little more challenging than the bog standard sponge cakes I usually make. I tried to make a Japanese strawberry shortcake, following this recipe from La Fuji Mama.

It was fine when it came out of the oven, looked a little inflated like a cushion, but I thought it had risen amazingly. I turned my fact to finish my lunch, looked back and it had shrunk into what I can only describe as a giant piece of toast!

It has the consistency of a pancake.

I want to know where I went wrong. The first step of the recipe is to beat the egg whites and sugar together 'til stiff and glossy but I couldn't get them to go that far. I only have a bog standard hand whisk, not an electric mixer, but I've made meringues before with no problem so I don't understand why the whites and sugar together weren't cooperating.

Help?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

madlilnerd posted:

...whites and sugar together weren't cooperating.

Help?

I know of two reasons why meringues can fail - a bit of grease on the tools, or egg yolk that got into the whites. I always use a steel bowl that has been chilled, but I don't remember where I learned to do that...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

The first step of the recipe is to beat the egg whites and sugar together 'til stiff and glossy but I couldn't get them to go that far.

I'm no expert on Japanese sponge cake, but I'm going to guess that this is it. I don't think you can go halfway with the egg whites in a recipe that relies on that instead of leavening.

Also, when you say hand whisk, you mean like a balloon whisk? Like you make meringues by literally beating the egg whites manually? :gonk: I know that's how it was done for centuries but seriously by an electric hand mixer or something.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I just made delicious lemon mini-cupcakes. Gosh darn they are delicious. Perfect combination of sweet and tangy.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

BeeZee142 posted:

I just made delicious lemon mini-cupcakes. Gosh darn they are delicious. Perfect combination of sweet and tangy.

You are required to post the recipe

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

cocoavalley posted:

I know of two reasons why meringues can fail - a bit of grease on the tools, or egg yolk that got into the whites. I always use a steel bowl that has been chilled, but I don't remember where I learned to do that...

Oh, I used the bowl to sift flour into first before sifting it again into another bowl, so there was a little flour residue on the bowl. The grease on the tools thing might be accurate too, my whisk is a bitch to clean so I might have missed a spot.

Third Murderer posted:

when you say hand whisk, you mean like a balloon whisk? Like you make meringues by literally beating the egg whites manually? :gonk: I know that's how it was done for centuries but seriously by an electric hand mixer or something.

Yeah, I mean a whisk. Not a balloon one, but one with a spiral of wire at the bottom. I've made meringues before and they weren't much hassle, you just sit down in front of some entertainment and whisk away. How do you expect to fit in your skinny jeans if you don't burn off half the cake calories making the drat thing? :colbert:

I would get an electric mixer, but I'm a student living in halls. I literally have no storage space because I actually cook and have things like pans and stored ingredients, as oppose to some of my flatmates, who's inventory consists of a fork to pierce the film on a ready meal.

Thanks for the tips anyway. I may go buy some more eggs and have another crack at this.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Definitely try the recipe again - I've been wanting to make a Japanese Christmas Cake for a long time and this is fairly similar, so it if works out for you I'll have to try it myself. Hard to imagine the sponge cake + whipped cream + strawberries combo could ever not be delicious.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Making a meringue using a [clean] round-bottomed steel bowl and balloon whisk doesn't take very much effort or time. To me it sounds like the meringe wouldn't rise because of some trace of fat somewhere. It's definitely the meringue that was the problem here.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
In the mean time, if at first you don't succeed and it's 9.30 the next day and you need a cake to be presented to a professor 3 miles away by 12.30- stick with what you know!

I went out and bought some more eggs, and just made a Victoria style sponge but with one more egg than I would normally use for the amount of cake mix. Because I very gently folded it all together, there was loads of air in it and it worked perfectly with the whipped cream and strawberries. The cream looks a bit rough because I don't own a spatula so had to use a combination of cutlery. The sponge was a good alternative though! It disappeared with speed once unveiled at university.

I'm going to have another crack at the Japanese style sponge when I'm at my parent's house for Easter break; my mum has a great little electric mixer and the right sized tins and everything.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I am going to venture a guess that you simply underbaked it. Everything was light and fluffy and risen but then you pulled it before it had a chance to set up.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Psychobabble posted:

I am going to venture a guess that you simply underbaked it. Everything was light and fluffy and risen but then you pulled it before it had a chance to set up.

I was actually going to say the same thing - the fact that it was big and puffy when you took it out of the oven, then it deflated when you took it out is suspect.

Speaking of Japanese sponge:

Made these guys for an online bake sale for Japanese relief aid, but they were amazingly good so we ate them before the sale even started. We're selling these instead:

Wasabi dark chocolate and matcha white chocolate truffles. Sorry it's not cake, but I'm sure you guys are okay with that?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

(Fullsize)

Me and my mom made Red Velvet cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting. It was my first time making it. It was delicious.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 2, 2011

Empathetic
Aug 29, 2004
I decided for to make a dessert to take to my folks for Sunday dinner I found this recipe for pound cake. My kitchen smells awesome and I think it turned out pretty good

I am serving mine with macerated berries hopefully everyone likes it!

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Third Murderer posted:

Also, when you say hand whisk, you mean like a balloon whisk? Like you make meringues by literally beating the egg whites manually? :gonk: I know that's how it was done for centuries but seriously by an electric hand mixer or something.

I got a dozen egg whites to stiff peak stage using nothing but a fork. Takes a lot of effort (and a clean, grease-free bowl) but it can be done.

madlilnerd posted:

Oh, I used the bowl to sift flour into first before sifting it again into another bowl, so there was a little flour residue on the bowl. The grease on the tools thing might be accurate too, my whisk is a bitch to clean so I might have missed a spot.

The trick is always to use spotless utensils... and metal or glass bowls and metal tools. If your whisk is hard to clean, soak it in hot soapy water. Or just get a better whisk if you can't use an electric mixer.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Key Lime Cupcakes are the taste of the day over here. Excuse the less than perfect design because I'm in a college dorm kitchen. The icing is key lime, and the cake itself is graham cracker flavored.

Recipe from http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/

The recipe makes icing a little bit too sweet compared to the limey tang, so I pretty much tripled the amount of lime and then drizzled a little bit on time.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 5, 2011

goobernloveslave
Apr 29, 2009

your stuff better be gone in the morning
Not cake exactly, but I made a Nutella-Hazelnut tart from this site last week and it was super delicious. I added some more toasted hazelnuts than the original recipe picture had, and it was a good thing.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
If it has Nutella, I want the recipe.

Please.

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
read post, find link

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Thank you to everyone for help with my problem. I didn't know that a stainless steel was good for whisking up eggs, my mum only has pyrex and ceramic bowls and my mixing bowl is plastic because I have a bad habit of dropping them. But I will take everything you've told me into consideration for next time!

And now for something completely different...

It was Mother's Day in the UK last Sunday, so I made my mum a carrot cake, based on Delia Smith's recipe but modified a bit (no sultanas or walnuts, unrefined cane sugar as well as muskavado, cooked at 180c in a 7 inch tin for 30mins instead of 150c in a loaf tin for 1hr40). I dusted the top with a mix of icing sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.

The end result was moist but not stodgy. Even better, it was the first carrot cake I've ever liked!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

theunderwaterbear posted:

read post, find link

So so sorry, didn't read, just got drooly at Nutella in baked goods.

Calculus Man
May 6, 2007
Forever vigilant against the evil power series!
I made a cake for my birthday party.

Filling, from top to bottom, is: strawberries, lemon curd and custard. Frosting is whipped cream.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I tried my hand at a Swedish Princess cake for my sister-in-laws birthday. I was going to use some fake flowers but I decided to go with real roses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Empathetic posted:

I decided for to make a dessert to take to my folks for Sunday dinner I found this recipe for pound cake. My kitchen smells awesome and I think it turned out pretty good

I am serving mine with macerated berries hopefully everyone likes it!

This one came out awesome. The coulis came out great too once laced with rum.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Took my new bundt pan out for a spin last night.

Pear spice cake. Not pictured: loving amazing maple glaze.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

PezMaster posted:

Took my new bundt pan out for a spin last night.

Pear spice cake. Not pictured: loving amazing maple glaze.

Definitely need the maple glaze recipe. I've been trying to find more ways to incorporate maple into sweets.

cloudADAM
Dec 8, 2008
Cake making is brilliant, I love the shiny, fondant-based icings especially. I've never tried it before. I made this for my nephews 13th birthday:

Chocolate macaroon delice, with some dark and white chocolate on top. The kids didn't really like chocolate without a tonne of sweetness, but I did.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I'm going to be making a birthday cake for someone who loves dark chocolate. I am very novice when it comes to cakes. I'm going to be make a chocolate ganache with an Irish cream liquor as the icing, but I'm not sure how to make the actual cake. There are so many dark chocolate cake recipes out there and I really don't know what would taste good.

Any recommendations cake goons? What's the best dark chocolate cake you have made?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Robo Olga posted:

Any recommendations cake goons? What's the best dark chocolate cake you have made?

I like Delia Smith's wholemeal chocolate cake, it's so moist and lovely with the fudge topping. The recipe is in Delia Smith's Book of Cakes (which is a great book to own anyway if you can get a copy).

But yay yay yay today I conquered the Japanese style sponge! I followed the Cooking With Dog video but swapped out 15g of the flour for 15g of cocoa powder and added a tablespoon each of cocoa and Nesquick powder to the cream to make it chocolatey. Also the strawberries at my local all looked disgusting so I swapped them out for raspberries.

The sponge was insanely light but wasn't dry or crumbly. The whole cake was so light I felt like I could just keep eating it (my family erased a whole 7 inch cake in one evening. What fatties). It was a bit of a faff following along with the steps like heating the egg mixture over hot water, gently folding in the flour etc, because I'm just so used to throwing a sponge cake together without thinking.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Robo Olga posted:

Smitten Kitchen Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes are pretty drat amazing. I made the 'cake' part of the recipe as a couple of nine inch rounds, not cupcakes, and it was moist and delicious, and didn't taste like beer. (Even though your house smells like a brewery when you're baking them). I made a Jameson ganache and irish cream swiss buttercream for my cake, but it would go well with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Amykinz posted:

Smitten Kitchen Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes are pretty drat amazing. I made the 'cake' part of the recipe as a couple of nine inch rounds, not cupcakes, and it was moist and delicious, and didn't taste like beer. (Even though your house smells like a brewery when you're baking them). I made a Jameson ganache and irish cream swiss buttercream for my cake, but it would go well with anything.

Ooh, that sounds amazing. I love Smitten Kitchen.

What I usually use for chocolate cake, though is Beatty's Chocolate Cake by Ina Garten. I can't stand that woman, but this cake is always a crowd pleaser. I usually take dark chocolate chips (a decent chocolate, like ghirardelli) and melt those in in place of cocoa powder, and add a few TBSP less sugar. I like it since the hot coffee adds that kind of richness to the cake without it tasting of coffee. You definitely want the Pam for baking or something similar, though, it's a sticky batter.

• Locked thread