Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

I've made cake balls once or twice and they were pretty good, but I steered clear of the recipes that used candy melts and canned frosting. Vanilla cake with caramel buttercream and a white couveture chocolate shell with some sea salt on top = :woop:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
How is it that when clarabelle was posting pictures of her cake pops, everyone kept saying how amazing they looked, and now suddenly everyone is filled with rage about them? I do not get this thread's thought process. :psyduck:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hypnotoad posted:

How is it that when clarabelle was posting pictures of her cake pops, everyone kept saying how amazing they looked, and now suddenly everyone is filled with rage about them? I do not get this thread's thought process. :psyduck:

They do look great, that's not the point. The point is, cake pops are bullshit.

The CAKE thread: Cake Pops are Bullshit

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
People enjoy different things. What a ridiculous argument this is.

And the last couple pages are awfully bare of pretty cake pictures because of it :(

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Yea, I really can't say I understand this argument. Her cake pops are pretty and a lot of people seem to enjoy seeing them. Nobody here has to eat them so it really doesn't matter what they taste like. A lot of people hate cheesecake, should we ban posts about that as well?

Here is a picture of some pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting I made a while back. Lets get this thread rolling back in the right direction:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Kitten Kisses posted:

Ohhhhhhh myyyyy :swoon:

These look incredible!!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Moving away from Cake Pops discussion, I made a delicious Chocoflan for my birthday.

The picture isn't great, but I'll include it anyway. I'm making it again for my brother's birthday on Dec. 26th, so I'll try to snap a better picture!

The recipe for Chocoflan give to me called for a boxed mix, which I found unacceptable, so I replaced it with Joy the Baker's Vegan Chocolate Cake (which is so ridiculously delicious!).

So, I've included the recipe for the flan and how to put the cake together, and I'm pretty sure you can pair it with any chocolate cake you wish!

Chocoflan cake:

For the cake:
you're favorite Chocolate cake recipe
For the Flan:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can of evaporated milk (12 oz)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup or more of cajeta or caramel sauce (or use 1/2 cup of sugar and melt it in a pan to make caramel)
Pan: 12-cup bundt pan, 12-cup tube cake pan, or 2 bread loaf pans (I used bundt obviously)

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pour 1/4 cup or more of the cajeta or caramel sauce into the pan. (or melt the 1/2 cup of sugar in a pan to make caramel, then pour into the pan)
3. Follow the instructions on the chocolate cake mix to blend the chocolate cake ingredients. (do not bake yet)
4. Pour the chocolate cake batter into the pan.
5. Put 4 eggs, 1 can of condensed milk, 1 can of evaporated milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla in a blender. Blend for about 1 minute, or beat the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into the pan over the chocolate mix by using a spoon to gently slide it down. It's doesn't slide down at all, it becomes a big mess of batter that inserted into the oven separates itself out
6. Bake as instructed on the chocolate cake mix box or until a toothpick comes out clean. For a 12-cup bundt pan, it takes about 45 minutes.
7. Let it cool on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When you're ready to serve, put a large plate over the pan and flip it over, make sure to scrape the extra caramel off onto the plate.

Hopefully this can be of used by one of you guys!

Edit: also, if anybody has any suggestion on how to get caramel onto this, the caramel isn't runny like I love it on flan, but I'm not sure about making the cake and then adding the caramel on top afterwards...

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 23, 2011

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

It's not actually my work but my mom's, but I feel this should be shared anyway.

It's a stack of shortcrust rolls with cherries in them, slathered in whipped cream and then sprinkled with coconut flakes to make the cream look like snow. I think she called it "Snowy mountain retreat cake".

It's very rich, and absolutely delicious. Sadly the lowest layer of the stack didn't come out perfect - probably too little heat from below.

I'd post the recipe if anyone is interested, but I can't seem to find it right now.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Happy Christmas, everyone!

Vegan ginger cupcakes with a lemon ginger glaze

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Turns out brush embroidery is harder than it looks

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

clarabelle posted:

Turns out brush embroidery is harder than it looks

It turned out really nice :)
Where did you get the snowflakes? Did you make those too?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

tekopp posted:

It turned out really nice :)
Where did you get the snowflakes? Did you make those too?

You can get the snowflake cutters here. I originally planned to use some intricate silicone snowflake moulds, but they were a nightmare to work with. Then I was going to pipe the snowflakes on, but I couldn't get the icing to the right consistency. Fondant cut-outs were the last resort

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Black forest cake made with Lindt chocolate. I haven't bitten into it yet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
cakepop.jpg

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Those chlamydia are adorable!

This is an old picture because it was on the laptop at my parents house, but my cake for thanksgiving! It was a curry spiced pumpkin cake with rum buttercream. If I did it again I'd try for a less sweet icing, this time around it was too sweet with the cake.

The icing isn't as perfect as I'd have liked, it needed more confectioners sugar to make it more firm, but it was already too sweet so I had to just handle it. I like making spun sugar (even though I burned the poo poo out of myself doing it) and I thought it made the cake look great!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
I am jealous of your sugar spinning ability. I want to wear it as a hat.

Cake doughnuts. Are delicious.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

PezMaster posted:

:allears:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Hey cake thread. This was for a friends birthday, spice cake, caramel buttercream, chocolate and fondant decorations.

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

Birthday cake for my 2 year old son.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Preview of the dessert for my entry to the vanilla ICSA. Yeah, I know, it's boring. Making cupcakes with vanilla isn't exactly unique. But I loving love cupcakes.

I was taking pictures outside, and my kid gave me a twig, so I put it in the picture.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

tekopp posted:

Vanilla may be a ho-hum flavour, but that cupcake is gorgeous - you don't happen to have a baking blog I should be reading right now, do you?

Took those mini cake doughnuts I made and slapped them on a cupcake.

Coffee and Doughnut Cupcakes. Loved the cake - it really had a wonderful doughnut-like crumb to it. The frosting was too sweet for my tastes (I dislike cream cheese frostings with a passion, but the birthday girl is a fan), but it had a great deep coffee flavour to it.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
The doughnut cupcakes looks delicious, and coffe cream cheese frosting sounds really nice.

Well, I do have a blog, but it's full of mostly pictures of my kid, jewelry I make, and my drawings, and a few cakes. http://mammamiriel.blogg.no/ It's in Norwegian...
My facebookpage might be more interesting: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miriel-Josephine-Ryan/158333350923711

I often read your cakeblog :)

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

This isn't actually a cake, it's brownies! With hot fudge filling, chocolate mint frosting and andes mints on the outside.

Frosting was too soft to pipe correctly so it is super sloppy looking, but it tastes amazing so whatevah :D

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Hey PezMaster, care to share the recipe for those cake donuts? :3: They look absolutely delicious!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

hypnotoad posted:

Hey PezMaster, care to share the recipe for those cake donuts? :3: They look absolutely delicious!

Of course!

C&C Cakery posted:

Makes a dozen cupcakes

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup full fat sour cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, espresso powder, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients until completely combined: butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Mix carefully with a wooden spoon until everything is completely incorporated and you've got a thick batter.

2) Place three tablespoons of batter into each of your lined cupcake tins. Bake for around 18 to 20 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean and your cupcake is very slightly golden. Set out to cool before icing.

Coffee Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons strongly brewed coffee
1 teaspoon espresso powder
3 cups confectioner's sugar
mini cake doughnuts (recipe here)

1) In a large mixing bowl, whip together your butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add your vanilla, coffee, and espresso powder. Continue beating. Slowly add your confectioner's sugar, a half cup at a time, and mix until completely incorporated. Frost your cooled cupcakes and add the mini cake doughnuts on top. Enjoy for breakfast. Because that's totally allowed.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Made the party cake in Dorie Greenspan's baking book, didn't grab a slice shot unfortunately, but likely to be made again:

Green Canary
Oct 6, 2005
I made this cake a couple of months back http://sweetapolita.com/2011/02/triple-lemon-blueberry-layer-cake/ The lemon frosting was so good!

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

this is the latest cake i've made. It's all edible (except the toothpicks in her hair which got taken out later)
The head, body and feet are chocolate cake, covered in chocolate buttercream icing and everything else is made from marshmallow fondant.
It's based off a doll for my cousin's daughter's birthday

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
That's amazing Psychotic! I'm always amazed when I open this thread. :allears:

Does anyone have an amazing peanut butter and chocolate cake?

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Does anyone have an amazing peanut butter and chocolate cake?

Oh, yes. Try this one, it'll blow your mind: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/
I use mascarpone in stead of regular cream cheese, and skip the peanuts in the ganache.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

tekopp posted:

Oh, yes. Try this one, it'll blow your mind: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/
I use mascarpone in stead of regular cream cheese, and skip the peanuts in the ganache.
:dance: That looks loving awesome! And not too complex, thank you!

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009
Seconding the smitten kitchen chocolate peanut butter cake. It is the best cake. It's actually quite easy and straightforward to make, and scales down really well to make a two-tiered cake instead of three if you cut the recipe in half (good for smaller gatherings, because they aren't joking about it being super rich).

Also, I don't want to start up the stupid derail again, but I hope the last few pages don't discourage anyone from posting pictures of cake pops. This is the "look at pictures of cake" thread, and cake pops are fun to look at, whether or not you agree that they're fun to eat.

Green Canary
Oct 6, 2005
That chocolate peanut butter cake is fantastic! I use the recipe for cupcakes sometimes too.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Also vouching for the Smitten Kitchen cake. loving amazing.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Aubergine Despot posted:

Also, I don't want to start up the stupid derail again, but I hope the last few pages don't discourage anyone from posting pictures of cake pops. This is the "look at pictures of cake" thread, and cake pops are fun to look at, whether or not you agree that they're fun to eat.

It hasn't discouraged me, but between essays, exams, and my dog being put to sleep, I haven't had the time or the inclination to do any baking. I have a few ideas I want to try out, but it'll be a week or two before I get around to making them

I'm loving psychotic's cake, although that doll looks like it'll eat my soul

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

clarabelle posted:

It hasn't discouraged me, but between essays, exams, and my dog being put to sleep, I haven't had the time or the inclination to do any baking. I have a few ideas I want to try out, but it'll be a week or two before I get around to making them

I'm loving psychotic's cake, although that doll looks like it'll eat my soul

Are the buttons edible? Those dolls always freak me the gently caress out. It's like the makers never saw Coraline.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are the buttons edible? Those dolls always freak me the gently caress out. It's like the makers never saw Coraline.

haha yep the eyes are edible, they are marshmallow fondant which is actually quite nice to work with. Those are scary dolls, but so popular here right now!
Oh i hadn't even thought about Coraline when i made it, that part of the movie is so disturbing

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

psychotic posted:

haha yep the eyes are edible, they are marshmallow fondant which is actually quite nice to work with. Those are scary dolls, but so popular here right now!
Oh i hadn't even thought about Coraline when i made it, that part of the movie is so disturbing

They're so shiny, did you add a glaze to them?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

psychotic posted:

this is the latest cake i've made. It's all edible (except the toothpicks in her hair which got taken out later)
The head, body and feet are chocolate cake, covered in chocolate buttercream icing and everything else is made from marshmallow fondant.
It's based off a doll for my cousin's daughter's birthday

You should have had a showing of Coraline as the kids ate the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

clarabelle posted:

They're so shiny, did you add a glaze to them?

no, i think it's just something the black food colouring did all on it's own!
more cakes

my workmates son wanted patrick star, hes all gluten free chocolate cake, with dark chocolate buttercream and modelling chocolate on top.

and a teddy bear cake for my cousins son. unfortunately it's the best pic i have. the green bears are something my brother made from chocolate
everything inside and on the cake is edible including any supports it needs

• Locked thread