Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
I don't really do cakes, I do cupcakes, so hopefully these count. Excuse the poor pictures.

First, here is the one big cake I have done. It was for a birthday, fed about 75. Each tier is 4 layers and the bottom tier used a 14 inch cake pan. It was heavy. Either way, covered in buttercream then fondant circles. I made those little monkeys on top by pouring melted chocolate into molds. They were a pain.

It's a little wonky, but whatever.

The rest are just some cupcakes I've done.

Obligatory rainbow cakes with vanilla buttercream

Car bomb cupcakes

Coconut cupcakes. They were filled with a coconut creme filling and it was a coconut butter cream on top.

Strawberry cupcake with lime butter cream. Sometimes I add tequila to these.

I don't know what to call this one. Banana and rum cupcake, filled with homemade dulce de leche, topped with cream cheese butter cream and walnuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Randomity posted:

Do you have the recipe for the coconut ones? Or anyone have a really good coconut cake or cupcake recipe?

Here's the recipe I use. My mom and grandmother have been using it for years.

Cake:
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F and either grease & flour your cake pans (this will do three 9in cake pans) or line your cupcake pan with liners. Beat your butter til it lightens up in color, then add sugar and whip it for about 5 minutes. Start adding your eggs 1 at a time, making sure it's all mixed in before adding another. Then alternate your flour and milk, i usually do it in 1/3rds. Add vanilla at the very end. For cake pans it'll take 25-28 minutes. Cupcakes I start checking around 18-20.

Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut

Mix it all together in a bowl and refridgerate for atleast 4 hours. It'll thicken up and get a little sweeter. You might want to try it and see how it tastes. Sometimes I've had to add a little more sugar or a little more coconut milk to get it just right.

Frosting was just a basic vanilla butter cream. My mom's made it before though and added like 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract to go with it.

The Heartless fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 15, 2011

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

MallcoreMotion posted:

Whoa, craziest thing. I was looking for a coconut cake recipe just a minute ago. Found this exact recipe on the foodnetwork, it's a Paula Deen recipe. I wonder who had it first.

I know! I found it on FN a year or two ago and asked my grandmother where she got the recipe and she said "Some magazine in the 80s". So, there's no telling. I just know she's been making the same recipe for my mom for her birthday every year for the past 24 years I've been around.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

MallcoreMotion posted:

I wound up using the recipe for cupcakes with vanilla frosting and it was DELICIOUS. Then I took them into work and found out 90% hate coconut? gently caress them.

:(

I like the taste of coconut, I just hate the texture. It's really hard for me to get past it but I will for cakes and cupcakes and some candy. I can't handle it in savory dishes at all, though.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
I don't know if this is allowed, but can anyone with archives post the recipe for Car Bomb Cupcakes that was posted a long while back?

There's plenty of recipes online for it, but they all have you heating up the Guinness with the butter in a saucepan and I don't think the version posted in the forums said to do that. I used the recipe posted on the forums the very first time I made them and they came out wonderfully, then I lost the paper it was printed on and it had already went into archives. I've been using the one from SmittenKitchen but it's just not the same as the first batch.

I could be completely wrong about it, too. I just know the first time I made it I didn't bother melting the butter and heating the Guinness first (reading comprehension or just lazy, maybe) and they were the best batch I baked.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
S'more Cupcakes

There was a graham cracker crust bottom, chocolate cake, then marshmallow frosting (egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla. I don't know what else to call it). Toasted the top a little bit under the broiler and a chunk of Hershey's chocolate (since that's iconic for S'mores. Plus they were for a kids last day of school party).

I'm Bored Cupcakes

Basic vanilla cake filled with a chocolate pastry cream topped with a swirled chocolate and vanilla marshmallow frosting. I was supposed to be doing laundry. Oops.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Tiramisu Cupcakes! The Mascarpone frosting was absolutely amazing.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Ambellina posted:

Recipe please??? I'm having a bachelorette party soon and would LOVE to make these!

Of course! Here you go! I actually got about 30 cupcakes out of this, too and the coffee syrup and frosting is adjusted to cover it all.

quote:

-Tiramisu Cupcakes-

.Vanilla Cupcakes.
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3.5 cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cup granulated white sugar, divided
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter or line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
While eggs are still cold separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
In a mixing bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add 1 1/2 cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Then, with the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, (or with a hand mixer) beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form (about 4 minutes). With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter or it will deflate.
Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.

.Coffee Syrup.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of strongly brewed coffee or espresso
1/4 cup sugar
1 ounce Marsala or Kahlua (or any other coffee liqueur) - optional
Directions:
Combine all ingredients together til sugar is dissolved. Set in refrigerator to cool.

.Mascarpone Frosting.

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3/4-1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form (be careful not to overbeat, or cream will be grainy). In another bowl, whisk together mascarpone and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until completely incorporated

To assemble:
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, poke the tops several times with a toothpick, then pour the coffee mixture on top. It's about 1 teaspoon for each cupcake, maybe a little more. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes before frosting. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

banstew posted:

Sorry I am so behind in this thread, but if you still have the recipes and/or tips for making any of these please for the love of god post them. Also, I have made the tiramisu (the one from a few weeks ago), pumpkin, and coconut cupcakes to bring in to work over the past three weeks and my coworkers have been going nuts for them. Thanks for the recipes!

For the S'more cupcakes, the chocolate cake was just the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. There's much better chocolate cakes out there, but I was keeping with the S'mores/Hershey theme. So you can sub in whatever chocolate cake recipe you want, or just google 'Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake'.

For the graham cracker crust..
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Mix it all up, then scoop about a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner and press it down. I used a shot glass, which worked really well. Bake it at 350 for about 5 minutes. Then just pour the cake batter on top and bake as normal.

For the marshmallow/meringue frosting..
8 large egg whites at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter in the top of a double boiler and wisk constantly until it reaches 160 degrees.. At that point pour the mixture into a stand mixer (I've never done it with a hand mixer, but I'm sure it can be done) and beat it at high until stiff peaks form. Pour in the vanilla and beat til combined. Top the cupcakes then use a kitchen torch (or an oven on broil.. just watch them!) to brown the meringue.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
Only cupcakes, because that seems to be all people order anymore. Also, all the pictures suck because I forget to take pictures til they're packaged up and all I have on me is an iphone. :(

For a 3 year olds birthday. Strawberry cake with vanilla butter cream.

I wanted to use my basic strawberry cake recipe which has mashed strawberries in it, but the woman who ordered them wanted them 'very strawberry, without any chunks of strawberries in them'. So, I used a recipe that called for a box of strawberry Jello. I kind of hate that I did that. Has anyone used strawberry extract in a cake? Does it work as well at giving a good strawberry taste?

Chocolate cupcake, filled with a peanut butter filling with peanut butter and chocolate swirled butter cream. I need to start taking pictures before I package them up.

German chocolate cake balls.

Also, on German chocolate cake.. Growing up, every year my mom would make one for my grandfather and I hated it. She used a box mix with the coconut pecan frosting from the can and I couldn't stand it. The minute I made it all home made (which is ridiculously easy), I fell in love. I love letting people taste things that aren't from a box and making them realize how much better it is.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

If this recipe really is that easy, could you post it? I'm not much of a baker, but I love German chocolate cake and don't think I've ever had it from scratch.

Your cupcakes are adorable, by the way!

Thank you! And of course.

German Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup boiling water
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup butter softened
2 cups white sugar
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9 inch round pans, or 2 9x13s or it makes about 48 cupcakes. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Place 4 ounces chocolate in a bowl and pour boiling water on it. Stir until melted and then allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks one at a time letting blend for about 30 seconds after each addition. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture.

In a large bowl (glass or metal is best), beat egg whites until stiff. Fold gently into batter until no streaks are left.

Bake! Cupcakes take about 20-22 minutes, round pans take about 30, the 9x13s take about 35-37. Use the touch test or stick a toothpick in them to see if they're done.

Coconut Pecan Frosting
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
3 egg yolks beaten
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and stir continually til thickened. Take off the heat, add in the rest of the ingredients then put in a bowl and chill in the fridge for it to finish thickening.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
I think negative feedback, regardless if it's from a friend or a client is hard.. But I think I take it better when I have a friend say 'I think you should tweak this' verses a client going 'I didn't like this, I don't think I'd order it again'. And sometimes you just get people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. Like one of my clients who told me and everyone else she could 'The cupcakes were so dry! I'll never order from her again'. Yet, 1 other person and about 15 of my husbands coworkers had cupcakes from the same batch and I got two people saying 'Those were the most moist cupcakes I've ever had' among many other positive remarks.

But, tekopp, your cake was absolutely lovely and I'd have loved to have it for my wedding cake!

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
Cupcakes. Again.

Pumpkin spice cupcakes, half with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting and the other half with a plain cream cheese frosting.

Cookies and cream cupcakes. Half golden Oreos, half regular Oreos.

Half of these were a banana cupcake, filled with home made dulce de leche, with cream cheese frosting and extra dulce de leche and walnuts on top. The other half were Red Velvet. They were red, it just doesn't show well in the photo.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Nagelfar posted:

What kind of tip are you guys using to decorate your cupcakes?

I just use a large star tip. I think it's the No. 35 closed star tip from Wilton.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Sharks Below posted:

God I love red velvet cupcakes. May I ask what kind of frosting that is on the RVCs? It is SO white and perfect looking! :)

It's just cream cheese frosting. 8oz cream cheese and 1/2 stick of butter with a teaspoon vanilla extract and enough powdered sugar til it's the right consistency. I let it whip for a good 5 minutes though after and I think it makes it lighter.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Maybe I should let mine whip that long. Everytime I try making cream cheese frosting I get large chunks of cream cheese and pockets of powder sugar. :smith:

Definitely make sure your cream cheese is room temp. I let mine sit out at least 2 hours on the counter (our house stays about 68 degrees though, if yours is warmer, an hour would be fine) and whip that til it's smooth, add in the butter and whip til it's all combined then add in your powdered sugar gradually. I usually do a cup at a time til it's as stiff as I like it, then I turn the mixer up and just let it go.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
Today I did four dozen cupcakes for two little girls birthdays. They're a basic white cake, that I colored pastel colors and made rainbow. I finally perfected my white cake recipe (harder than I ever thought, seeing as how basic it is) so I was really pleased with the end result. Basic vanilla butter cream, also.

And these were one of the leftovers where I didn't have any orange left and I scraped together all the frosting colors. So pretty!

And I had order for German chocolate cake balls today too.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Grey Mage posted:

Recipe please?

I used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-spice-cupcakes/detail.aspx

Except I doubled the cinnamon (use a good quality cinnamon; it makes a difference) and nutmeg, left out the ginger, cloves and allspice and put in a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead (since it's just cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice). I also took the 1 cup white sugar and did half white and half light brown in addition to the other 1/3rd cup of brown sugar. And I used about 1 and 1/3rd cups of pumpkin puree.

The cream cheese frosting is just 8oz cream cheese, half a stick of room temp butter whipped til combined and smoothed, a teaspoon vanilla and enough powdered sugar to get the consistency you want. Then for the cinnamon one just add in cinnamon til you're happy. I probably used 1.5 teaspoons.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

slinkimalinki posted:

So, with cake balls/pops, can you make them with any given cake and any given frosting, or are there some types that are good and some that are gross? I notice that Bakerella says to use cream cheese frosting.

I make them with all kinds of frosting. Here are some of my flavor pairings:

German chocolate / coconut pecan frosting / white ormilk chocolate coating
chocolate / chocolate butter cream / white or milk chocolate coating.
vanilla / vanilla butter cream (add sprinkles for 'funfetti') / white or milk chocolate coating
strawberry / lemon butter cream / white chocolate coating
carrot cake / cinnamon cream cheese frosting / white chocolate coating

I don't think you have to do JUST do cream cheese frosting. Do whatever you like!

Also, I made a Red Velvet Cheesecake with some cream cheese frosting on Friday. Apparently it was pretty good. She shared it at a dinner party and 3 of the people who were there have already ordered one.

No cracks or anything. I was pretty proud of it.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

PezMaster posted:

Also, The Heartless, Red Velvet Cheesecake? That's insanity . . . recipe?

I used this site for the recipe. But I made the following adjustments:
Instead of a chocolate graham cracker crust, I used a Oreo cookie (with the filling scraped out) crust instead and I baked it for 10 minutes at 350. And I only used 2/3rd cup of sour cream and I left out about a tablespoon of the buttermilk from the half cup it calls for.

I made these adjustments simply because when I made this before it felt like it never really set up. I understand cheesecakes are creamy, but this just seemed like it never cooked all the way through. So I felt by reducing some of the liquid it'd be better.. And it was.

cocoavalley posted:

What tactics do you use to achieve this? I usually put a pan of hot water in the oven with the cake and when it's done leave it in the oven to cool, but I always get cracking.

I baked it in a water bath. I put two layers of heavy duty tinfoil around it then set it down in the water bath and filled it up about half way up my spring form pan. I baked it like they said, 325 for 10 minutes then 300 for an hour and 15 minutes. But when I opened it up after that time and did a little wiggle test, it was way underdone.. So I left it for another 25 minutes. Wiggled it again and it seemed fine, so I turned the oven off and let it sit for about 3 hours with the oven door closed. Pulled it out, slid a knife around the edge and threw it in the fridge over night and the next morning I took it out of the spring form.

I think the key is letting it sit in the oven for a while and not opening it up during the initial time. I could be really wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

It's strawberry season in Germany, so I said to some coworkers that I might try making a strawberry cake and now they're expecting one :shobon

Are there any goon-approved cake recipes that call for fresh strawberries? All the recipes I've been finding use jell-o or frozen when I've got access to fresh and juicy ones.

e: This one or this one seem interesting.

I've used the second one quite a few times and I really like it personally. I've used fresh berries and frozen and I prefer frozen for now (we don't get good strawberries in Guam) but when I'm home (Florida) I use fresh and it's amazing. With that recipe I've always used the whole eggs, also.

• Locked thread