Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Also, I need a flavour consultation:
I got invited to compete in another iron chef like cupcake contest. This month's flavour is blueberries, and it's really hard not to turn to the old favourite (lemon-blueberry). I really want to find a taste that's got some spark to it. Here's my ideas so far:

Individual Blueberry Cheesecakes (a little safe)
Pomegranate-Blueberry cupcakes with a ricotta icing (my favourite thus far)
Lemon-Blueberry-Poppyseed (kinda boring if you ask me)
Coffee Cake with Blueberries and Strudel on top (I'm not so sure about the combo, but I've been told that coffee goes well with blueberries)
???

Any really awesome ideas/recipes? Blueberries aren't as inspiring as some of the other secret ingredents, so I've been left a little blah.

I tried a maple cupcake with maple-bacon buttercream icing topped with candied bacon and filled with blueberries a while back that was surprisingly good, if a bit gimmicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

We experimented with a maple bacon cupcake in the bakery a while back. I'm not so sure if I want to go back down that path again. :(

Did they not turn out, or something? I was a bit wary, but it ended up being pretty drat good. A Toronto bakery called For The Love of Cake makes them, I think I have a picture around here somewhere.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 4, 2010

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Yam cakes with a marshmallowy seven-minute icing. Really good - My SO liked them better than the pumpkin cake I usually make.

Would you happen to have a recipe? Hell, recipes? Both of those components sound divine.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Yeppers.

Awesome, thanks! I've been gathering cake, cupcake, and cookie recipes for a while now, but I haven't tried any because I don't have a stand mixer or electric beaters for creaming butter and sugar. I think those yam cupcakes pushed me over the edge, I'm gonna go pick one up.

PezMaster posted:

Shame this isn't a cake/pie thread. Or, even better, a cake vs. pie thread.

Pie is my favourite treat, hands down. I really want to make a pie thread, but I'm not really confident enough in my piemaking ability, yet. :(

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
My entire family seems to be on one of those constant, nebulous "Oh, I really shouldn't have sweets" diets, so I used to get discouraged from baking too: I have a huge sweet tooth, and generally eat some kind of dessert at least once a day, but I still can't go through all the stuff I want to bake.

My advice is to just freeze it. Most baked goods freeze quite well, and if you portion them out before freezing, you can just pull one or a few out of the freezer early on in the day whenever you need them. S'why my freezer looks ridiculous: I've got a quarter-bag of frozen vegetables, and then 30 pounds of brownies, cheesecakes, cookies and pies in there.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Any Halloween baking going on?

Well, now that I've seen those, there will be...

What flavour are they, by the way?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

They're Vegan Banana-Chocolate Chip cupcake with seriously the best peanut butter frosting ever.

At the risk of turning this thread into a steal-poo poo-from-PezMaster convention, any chance we can get the recipe on that frosting? :dance:

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

The Fresh Prince posted:

Whats your guys opinion on pie?

The king of desserts. Hands down.

What kind of pie is that, by the way?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
A friend and I finally tried our hands at cupcakes, with proper icing instead of the canned poo poo.

Just regular vanilla cupcakes with honey buttercream.

Sweet loving lord, buttercream is a revelation. So easy and a thousand times better than the stuff off the shelf. We had to make two batches because we kept eating it and overicing the cakes... I don't think we're long for this world, but it was worth it.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Try making a 'soak' with lemon juice, powdered sugar, and some water. It should have a slightly thick, syrupy consistency. Then just bake your cake normally, and pour the soak over it while it's cooling.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

This year's Canada Day special - Brown sugar and raisin cupcakes with a browned butter frosting. And, yes, those are butter tarts baked in the middle.

We were told that these were our best cupcakes to date :canada:

My god... this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. There's no better usage of :canada:

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I posted this in the dinner thread a while back, but realized it'd probably make more sense here. I made a dense gingerbread cake with loser's vanilla icing for a family dinner last week, as a test run for something I might bring to our Christmas festivities.

It worked out really well; nice and sweet, but not too rich, with plenty of spice flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

tekopp posted:

Looks nice. Recipe?

I got the gingerbread loaf recipe from CHOW.COM at some point, I think: I just copied it into a text file ages ago.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses, such as Grandma’s Robust
2 large eggs, at room temperature

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in middle. Coat a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan with butter, dust with flour, and tap out excess.
Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and cloves in a large bowl. Whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside. In a separate medium bowl, stir together buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
Combine butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in molasses until well combined then add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until well incorporated.
Stop mixer and scrape bowl and paddle (mixture will look separated and curdled). Add one third flour mixture beating on low speed just until flour is incorporated. Add half buttermilk mixture and once batter is smooth add another third flour mixture. Add remaining buttermilk and mix until incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture, and beat until incorporated and smooth.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

I winged the icing, since I have no experience making it. I just added heavy cream, a bit at a time, to a cup of icing sugar, until it was just barely pourable, then poured it over the top and let it spread out and drip down the sides a bit.

• Locked thread