Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Man I forgot about this thread and I had made a cake last week (my birthday) and didn't take a picture... It's a pretty classic scandinavian cake though and I haven't seen any cakes like these in this thread yet.

The basic design is about three layers of sponge cake with berries and jam (strawberry, raspberry and blueberries are popular) and whipped cream inbetween the layers, then decorated with more whipped cream outside instead of buttercream which is rarely used here in home cooking. The layers are also sometimes wetted slightly with say homemade black and red currant lemonade or just about anything, this makes the cake more moist and the tastes blends better. The one I made looked a lot like this, except raspberries ontop instead of strawberries:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just made this. I thought maybe it was a cake, or a pie in english but apparently it's called a crumble. Made with lingonberries (picked & turned into jam by us), my mom used to make these and I got the recipe from her, first attempt. Slightly overdone.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2011

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cocteau posted:

Those.look.amazing.

Recipe?

Thanks, sure here's the recipe.

quote:

The dough
450ml flour (1.9 cups)
150ml sugar (0.6 cups)
3 tsp baking powder
150g butter (5.3oz)
1 egg

Filling: 200ml lingonberry jam (I find the best jam is the one you make when you simply crush the berries and mix with sugar, no cooking of anything).

Crumbly stuff:
150ml oats (rolled oats I believe) (0.6 cups)
100ml sugar (0.4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla sugar
50g melted margarine (1.7oz) (shortening?)

Directions:

Mix together the ingredients of the dough, except the egg, whip it and add it after you've mixed the dough a while. Then pour it out into a greased sheet pan (the normal pan for this here is 30x40cm or 11x15") and flatten it out across the pan.

Then simply spread out the lingonberry jam evenly over the dough.

The crumbly stuff on top is made by simply mixing all the ingredients together, then you just toss it randomly over the whole thing.

Into the oven at 225C (440F) for 20-25 minutes. Better check this, I was busy with something and forgot to check until the beeper went off and I probably should've brought them out at 20 mins. Ovens vary and all that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh okay, I have no idea really what their proper name would be. According to my mom they're called "Smulkaka" here or "crumbly cake".

Also I think next time I will add 1/3rd more lingonberry jam, and with less sugar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

sharkattack posted:

Brownies are kind of my thing, so I have a ton of recipes; however, these Cinnamon Hazelnut Brownies are my favorite:

They are always met with rave reviews!

recipe: http://spachethespatula.blogspot.com/2010/04/cinnamon-hazelnut-brownies.html

Made a test batch of these this week but I used too little chocolate (only had a tiny 70% cocoa chocolate plate to use) and I had none of those chocolate chips (I just can't find them in finland, never ever seen them), but they still turned out really nice even though I fudged the recipe on several points.

I had hazelnuts on them but didn't care for that, I think next time I will replace the hazel nuts with M&Ms or something like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tried those triple chocolate peanut butter brownies mentioned on the last page but it was impossible to find chocolate chips, never mind PB ones, so I improvised. Peanutbutter with white chocolate likewise, so I mixed nutella and normal PB.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made Runebergs torte today, first time ever. It's a traditional finnish cake that we eat every 5th of february here. I decided to try and make my own this year so I had some learning todo and obstacles to get by.

All went pretty well though I guess, until the time came to make the frosting. I found out I had no powdered sugar (except brown cane sugar stuff). So I improvised by using dextrose (leftover from home brewing project) and cranberry juice for color, not a perfect frosting, but anyway I got close enough.

Now they are supposed to look like this:

I lack the forms to make them like that so I used silicon cup cake forms instead. I also didn't get it as dark as they are meant to be. The reason for this I am pretty sure was my choice of bread crumbs, based on other recipes I shall make my own next year, made in part from crushed ginger biscuits.

Anyway this was my result:

They are liberally drenched in rum as well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

varjoankka posted:

I was thinking of making those too few week ago, never got around on making them.. Mostly because lack of a good recipe, you be willing to share yours?

I just googled one and it wasn't that good because something about its liquid to flour ratio was off I thought. I would just have to pick one at random if I where to recommend one.

Maybe this one in Finnish, I'd just run the page through google translate, I thought it came out rather understandable, though ignore any mention of cups in the translated recipe, it's really dl (deciliter = 100ml):
http://blogit.mtv3.fi/elamamakeaksi/2012/01/31/runebergin-tortut/

And vadelmamarmeladia = raspberry jam.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Does sandwich cake count?

It was my dads 60th birthday last night so we had several sandwich cakes and one regular cake made, in addition to a buncha other stuff. People had been coming and going all day so that's why the two cakes closer are already eaten of in the photo.

One of the sandwhich cakes is based around ham, the other around fish. In the middle is a bog standard cream cake.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sorry I didn't make those particular cakes it was my sister so i don't know the details of what went inside aside from what I was able to taste. The glazing is mayo, the main body of the cake is layers of bread, about the thickness of toast, with stuff layered in between them.

I know that in the fish based cake there was tuna and apples and a bunch of other stuff, probably more mayo too. The toppings where eggs, gravlax, shrimp, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Twins had their 1st birthday party this weekend. My fiance made a classic cream cake with peaches ontop and raspberries and nutella and some other stuff in the middle. Also bilberry pie with whipped vanilla cream, chocolate chip muffins and some homemade cookies (and some storebought):

Bonus kid pics

(My mom knitted the cap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

How about some smörgåstårta (sandwich cake)? Sorry about the bad phonecam shots.

Vegetarian, made by my fiance:

Smoked salmon, we ordered this one from a bakery, we had too much to do for the twins birthday party:

• Locked thread