Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
A chocolate cake with homemade butter cream and piped chocolate butterflies that I made for a church bake sale. I felt pretty good about the butterflies since it was the first time I'd made them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks! I love doing fancy schmansy stuff, which is kind of hilarious because most of my baking gets eaten by a horde of gamer boys.

I love the threadless cakes that you did. I, too, am a huge fan of the fun and weird. I found an instructable for a Settlers of Catan cupcake cake involving sugar cookies. I know what I'm doing for my next bbq!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

tekopp posted:

I love the butterflies, and the colour of the cake too.
What kind of chocolate did you use? I've only done butterflies with royal icing before.

No, I did make one with chocolate once, but it melted on the way to the party, and it wasn't even hot outside, this happened in Norway in march...

I guess it's more candy coating that chocolate, oops. I thought back on it and it was melted down generic Wilton style candy coating. It's a bit of an abomination that straddles the line between chocolate and wax. This stuff tasted surprisingly good though! It was a Kroger brand candy coating. It's similar to a product called almond bark, but even more generic. It's good for coating cake pops too!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

clarabelle posted:

Candy coating is something of a necessary evil when you need bright colours. I don't care for Wilton, but I use the hilariously-named Merkens melts and the taste approaches acceptable provided that you don't use too much

Pretty much that. It also holds up better under hot or humid conditions and dries very quickly. It's definitely not artisan quality, but it has its place (especially since my budget has limits).

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

We had a bbq, so I got geeky. I painted the cthulhu out of royal icing onto wax paper, then transferred it to the cake. That is also why the "z" is backwards.

And I know they're not a cake, but I spent for freaking ever on the little figures. It's also a game legal board, after a fashion.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Love both of them!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks guys! They are actually cookies (ssh, don't tell anyone!), but could easily be put on top of cupcakes. In the process of making them I did learn you can buy tiny hex shaped cake pan mold things though! I might actually do a catan hex torte in the future.

I got the shape by tracing a game tile onto cardboard, covering the cardboard with foil and attaching a foil handle, and then just cutting around the hex shape with a knife. I just used a standard sugar cookie recipe. They also sell hex cookie cutters, but I didn't feel like shelling out for them since I wasn't sure how often I'd use them.

I made all the little figures out of homemade fondant, and they actually tasted really good. People kept eating my sheep! The guys who were hanging out really loved them, in part because Catan is one of the games we play often at parties.

CzarChasm posted:

The cupcakes are indeed from Catan. Very nice job flutterbyblue BTW.

Made a 4 layer chocolate velvet cake with butterscotch frosting this weekend. No pics unfortunately, but tasted pretty good.

The amount of food dye the recipe called for is just insane though. 2oz of food dye. Holy poo poo.

How did you like the butterscotch combination with the red velvet? It sounds intriguing, if you've got a recipe I'd like to try it. At the very least I'll get to listen to my chef friend bitch about red velvet.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^^ That is awesome! The Mario Cake especially. But the black forest and mini pies are super too!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the recipe CzarChasm.

I think I'm going to have to try that almond cake too.

I have come to realize about 70% of my MacGourmet consists of sweets.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That xylosaur is adorable :3:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I just made this one based on scrutinizing several recipe and thinking that this one sounded the best (and also not being able to find cane sugar syrup at my supermarket). I can't tell you how it tastes until Friday though because it's for Thanksgiving with my in-laws. It sure looks pretty though (mine is a tad dark, but still pretty) and it meets my need to have a deep dish pie. Regular depth pies just make me feel cheated because I have weird psychological issues I guess.

Deep Dish Pecan Pie
Group Recipes

Ingredients

*PIE CRUST*
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
2 T. white sugar
1/2 c. butter, chilled
4 T. ice water
*PIE FILLING*
6 eggs
1 1/2 c. light corn syrup
4 T. dark corn syrup
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
6 T. butter, melted
1 pinch of salt
1 c. pecans, finely crushed
1 c. pecans, quartered
1 c. pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pie Crust:
In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and white sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually sprinkle the water over the dry mixture, stirring until dough comes together enough to form a ball. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
On a floured surface, flatten dough ball with rolling pin. Roll out into a circle that is one inch larger than pie dish. Place pie shell into dish and refrigerate until pie filling is complete.
Pie Filling:
In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, light and dark corn syrups, brown sugar, butter, salt and finely crushed pecans. Spread quartered pecans over bottom of refrigerated pie crust. Pour syrup mixture over top of pecans, then arrange pecan halves on top of pie.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Now cover pie with foil so as not to burn pecans or crust edge and bake for an additional 60 minutes.
**Important**- Please allow pie to cool for about 1 hour so as to fully set up in the middle before eating. Fresh whipped cream is soooo good with the pecan pie.[/b]

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

banstew posted:

That sounds great. I will definitely give making this a shot, thanks!

Edit:
http://db.tt/Cmd7yPcz

It was delicious. I will be definitely be making it again. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did

Yay! I'm glad it worked out for you. Everyone seemed to like mine as well. I think I was the only one on the fence about it, but in my defense it was the second day of Thanksgiving festivities for us, and the last thing I ate. I was in food overload. I'll definitely make it again too.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^^ Love the cupcakes! What a fun idea for a slightly spooky party.

I made a dark chocolate bundt cake with salted caramel glaze for my friday gaming group. It was AMAZING. Unfortunately I have no pictures because I didn't expect to be posting about it. Amazeballs though, and really easy. Here's the recipe for anyone who might want to try it. I used kosher salt instead of sea salt, and it was fantastic.

Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake (adapted from Joy the Baker)
1-1/3 cups brewed coffee
3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
2 cups* sugar
1-1/4 tsp. sea salt
2-1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1-1/4 cups plus 1 Tbs. buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 Tbs. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups* all purpose flour
* These measurements are for high altitude. If you are not at high altitude use 2-1/4 cups sugar and 2-1/2 plus 2 Tbs. flour

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the coffee and cocoa powder and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or spray generously with “For Baking” cooking spray) a 10-inch bundt pan.

3. Fit a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add the sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs, and egg yolk to the bowl and mix on low for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and mix on low for another minute.

4. Scrap down the sides of the bowl again and add the flour. Mix on low for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the cooled coffee mixture, and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour the (very thin) batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

5. Keep the cake in the pan until it is completely cool. Then invert the bundt pan onto your serving platter and the cake will come out cleanly. Drizzle with glaze (recipe below).

Salted Caramel Glaze (adapted from Better Homes & Gardens)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. sea salt

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the sugars and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Whisk in the whipping cream (it may bubble a lot) and return to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in sea salt. Let cool slightly (about 5 minutes) and pour over cooled cake, allowing excess to run down the sides.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I know you can freeze cakes (though I'm not 100% on cupcakes) but I'm not sure about frosting. You could make it ahead though. My mother often makes buttercream ahead and then stores it in an airtight container in the fridge. She'll take it out several hours ahead of when she needs it so it can warm up to spreadable consistency. It's always been great!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That came out awesome! I love it :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That is truly the stuff of nightmares TheAbominableSnow. The rainbow cake came out great and looks tasty though. Did you use a pound cake recipe?

You're getting really great with the fondant clarabelle!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I like this one. I made it for a huge bbq event a couple of summers ago. Almost everyone hated the cupcakes (they were super dry and evil) but took a couple anyway because they wanted to lick the frosting off.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/strawberry-cream-cheese-frosting/

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

It's supposed to be a bit chocolatey. Usually there's some cocoa powder in the cake along with the ungodly amount of red food coloring so that it's got a not quite chocolate cake taste, but a definite overtone of chocolate. And most of the velvet cake mixes I've used look like a light chocolate cake mix until I add water and activate the dye involved, though the chocolate taste isn't as strong as with the homemade stuff.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Now I really need to try a real red velvet :swoon:. And thanks for the history lesson! (To my shame, my only scratch red velvet were red velvet brownies which were actually pretty good.) Would you happen to have a recipe you like?

flutterbyblue fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 24, 2013

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I tried out the old fashioned vegan recipe, though I switched the soy for buttermilk and the apple cider vinegar for regular vinegar like you suggested. I doubled the recipe and baked in in my super deep 8 inch cake pans. And I did the flour based icing as well. It came out amazing! Definitely a keeper for sure. Super moist cake and a frosting that wasn't killer sweet. I wish I would have snapped a picture because I did a huge butterscotch butterfly to decorate the top just because I could.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I actually used all butter since I don't tend to keep shortening on hand. It came out super awesome. And I ended up using full fat buttermilk and whole milk in the frosting because I forgot that light would have been acceptable.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That is awesome Pixle! Did it take a ton of time to do all the little details?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

PezMaster posted:

Speaking of nerdy baked goods:

They were pretty labour-intensive (the directions and recipe are here if you're interested) but so worth it. We could have actually played a game on them, but people wanted to eat them instead. Weird, I know.

Yeeees! I love Catan theme anything.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That's a neat effect! (And I can imagine, it's four solid layers of cake that look pretty dense). What was the design with the frosting?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Love the blue cake TheAbominableSnow! And now I want to try to do candy glass. I'm curious, did you do any sort of special rose-flavored filling? I'm rather new to the rose-flavoring world (other than binging on turkish delight with my husband's grandmother when she visits because she and I are the only ones who will touch the stuff. Also, what a finicky candy. My first batch turned out like soap-flavored bouncy balls). And how did you get the swirl effect with the frosting? Is it a star tip twisted while applying?

Today I tried out a bit of my own thing since I've been going nuts canning stuff this year. I'm calling it a Double Chocolate Cherry Bomb. It's a chocolate cake brushed with homemade rum-cherry sauce and filled with homemade cherry jam. The frosting is chocolate butter cream and the little embellishments are rum-preserved cherries.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I would totally eat the hell out of that cake. Looks great! And it reminds me I want to do a black forest cake with some of the rum cherries I made this year.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Love the ring cake Big McHuge! Especially the lettering. Getting it level and even is a pain in the butt (but maybe it's just me, I don't have the best penmanship to begin with). A tip on red frosting, make it a couple days ahead of time and get it to a really dark pink and then let it sit and it should darken a bit. Also, gel coloring will make it easier to get darker colors (if you haven't tried that).

Not a cake, I know, but I played with royal icing for my Christmas cookies this year and I kind of like how they came out.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Very elegant! I like it. How do you do mirror glaze? Is there a buttercream crumb coat and you pour the glaze on from there, or is it more complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Awesome! I'll have to give that a shot sometime. I've done some ganache, but not a proper glaze yet.

• Locked thread