Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Sooo my best friend's older brother just got engaged and his fiance wanted me and my best friend to surprise him at their engagement party with an MRE cake. We made a practice one the other day. It's actually not great compared to our usual standards, but we kept reminding ourselves it was only a PRACTICE RUN. He's not a goon so I don't feel bad posting some pictures:

At the top is their wedding date, at the bottom says "Congrats Chris".

Here's the cake next to a real MRE. For the real cake I think I'm going to use a stencil to paint on the words.

It was delicious. Lemon cake with lemon buttercream (like seriously, holy poo poo it was lemony). But my friend makes the best lemon buttercream. :3:

Oh yeah and last night I was bored so I made neon-rainbow cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.

Unfortunately I had never tried that buttercream recipe before and ended up with a ton of it leftover. :( Oh well, I'll make something else soon I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Awww thanks so much for all the awesome feedback guys! :) I'll be sure to post pictures of the legit cake whenever we make it for the engagement party. :)

On the other hand, does anyone have a good, reliable, plain white cake recipe? The last one I found online barely made a dozen cupcakes and ended up kind of eh.

Oh yeah and I have to make like 2 dozen cupcakes Friday for a family reunion Saturday. A combo of dark chocolate with peanut butter frosting, and that white cake with jello cupcakes (with lime jello) with lime frosting. It should be interesting. I've only ever made lemon frosting before, I hope the lime turns out okay. :ohdear: I'll post pictures of the final products if I remember :)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Here is a good white cake recipe that also lends itself well to adding flavoring:
http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3205&bdc=38460

Copy the recipe to notepad or something though if you have to print it. They will try to get you to buy a subscription if you use their Print option.

Made 36 cupcakes for me when I made mint chocolate chip cupcakes a few weeks ago. Of course, I mis-measured the flour, but they still tasted delicious.

If you use this recipe for cupcakes, check them after about 15 min. They were perfectly done for me at that time.

Ahh! Thanks so much for this! :D

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Hmm. When making a fruity buttercream like strawberry, what do you guys generally do? I've made lemon and lime frosting before with no problem, but thought I'd try out strawberry on chocolate cupcakes soon.

Also, the lime cupcakes and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes turned out fantastic; everyone at the family reunion loved them. There were none to take home! (good thing I made some extra for me! :) )

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

daniyellee posted:

Hopefully no one asks me to make a pool table cake anytime soon!

Incredible work! I especially adore the dart board cake. Oh my word!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

PezMaster posted:

pumpkin cayenne cake

Huh, this sounds wonderfully interesting. I've been looking for a pumpkin cupcake recipe, I might try this out soon! (fall is my favorite because of all the pumpkin flavored things :3: )

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Guess this belongs here even though it isn't especially photogenic:

Step #1 - Pile up sponge cake, ice cream, and frozen raspberries:

Step #2 - Coat in meringue, place in hot oven for five minutes:

Step #3 - Decide that oven isn't browning the meringue fast enough, so pour brandy over it and set on fire:

Step #4 - Eat deliciousness (overdone parts taste like toasted marshmallow)

Oh....my.... :swoon:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cake pops are such bullshit. It's just a little bite of cake. You get all excited because hey cake pop but then it's gone in one bite.

I'm angry about cake pops.

I read this in Gordon Ramsay's voice. Thanks a lot, jerk! :argh:
But seriously it sounds like you need some better cakepops in your life.

clarabelle, do you generally use chocolate to coat your pops, or like, candy melts? Or something else? I always get the impression that candy melts will be less rich than straight up chocolate, and the cake pops I've made in the past with chocolate were SO RICH that I ate one and felt like I'd die if I ate another.

hypnotoad fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 18, 2011

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

clarabelle posted:

The American recipes I've seen do call for a lot of frosting, and the one time I used that amount of frosting, it WAS overpoweringly sweet.

This. This is most likely why my cake pops were horrendously sweet. I'll find a different recipe.

Also I want awesome candy melts like you have over there. Boo. :(

And I'd hate to admit it, but I had a tiramisu cakepop from Starbucks a few weeks ago... and it was actually pretty good. It's something I'd aim for the next time I made them. It was the perfect amount of sweet, and had the best texture. And the coating wasn't awful or overpowering.

Edit: People are getting really weird and butthurt because they don't like cakepops. "HOW DARE SOMEONE LIKE SOMETHING THAT I DON'T, ALL OPINIONS BUT MY OWN ARE INVALID!"

hypnotoad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 19, 2011

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

How is it that when clarabelle was posting pictures of her cake pops, everyone kept saying how amazing they looked, and now suddenly everyone is filled with rage about them? I do not get this thread's thought process. :psyduck:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Kitten Kisses posted:

Ohhhhhhh myyyyy :swoon:

These look incredible!!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Hey PezMaster, care to share the recipe for those cake donuts? :3: They look absolutely delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Pezmaster, not only does that recipe look delicious and a healthyish alternative to a normal cupcake, but now I just spent like a half an hour looking up recipes for homemade almond milk (and almond butter afterwards!) I had no idea both were so easy to make! I can't wait to give it a try!

• Locked thread