Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Swiss Meringue Buttercream (candied rose petals and pink sparkling sugar to decorate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

PezMaster posted:

Also daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, sharkattack. Those look amazing.
Thanks!

clarabelle posted:

Recipe? Pretty pretty please?
Sure, http://spachethespatula.blogspot.com/2011/04/chocolate-cupcakes-with-vanilla-swiss.html

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

sleeping ariadne posted:

A friend has asked me to make some brownies for a big party this weekend. I'd really like to make a batch of basic chocolate brownies (already have this recipe), and a batch of something-rather brownies. I love baking, and I'm fairly confident in the kitchen, so I'd love suggestions for some non-traditional or just simply amazing brownies please!

Brownies are kind of my thing, so I have a ton of recipes; however, these Cinnamon Hazelnut Brownies are my favorite:

They are always met with rave reviews!

recipe: http://spachethespatula.blogspot.com/2010/04/cinnamon-hazelnut-brownies.html

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

clarabelle posted:

I have to bake a chocolate cake for a birthday and the recipe I'm using for the filling is a combination of double cream and dark chocolate. I'm a little worried that the filling might wind up a little too bitter, is it ok to use half dark and half milk chocolate?

Absolutely! It's actually arguably better if you mix chocolates with different percentages of cacao. But, I would say use 75/25 dark to milk. What percentage dark are you using?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

sleeping ariadne posted:

Sorry, I just realised I was incredibly rude and forgot to say thank you for this recipe! I made a double batch for the party, and they were so popular. People standing next to me that didn't know I had baked them were gushing over them. It's my favourite brownie recipe too! :)

Yay! I'm so glad that you liked them!
It's really fun to experiment with them, too. One time I made a homemade pecan/chocolate spread (like nutella but pecan), left out the cinnamon, and switched the toppings with milk chocolate and chopped pecans- sooo good.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Brennanite posted:

I swear there was a delicious-looking chocolate buttercream frosting recipe in this thread, but I cannot find it to save my life. The recipe I inherited is thin, grainy, and tastes like powdered sugar mixed with milk. I don't think that is what it's supposed to be like. :(

While this frosting isn't a buttercream really, it's one of the best chocolate frostings I've ever had.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed because that's what I had on time)
scant 1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently. Boil for about 1 minute until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the mixture (with a sieve) into a small bowl and then cool completely. (I just popped mine in the freezer for a bit.)
2. Beat the butter in a medium-sized bowl until creamy. Add in the cooked flour/cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Finally add in the melted chocolate and beat until combined.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

nwin posted:

Just made these. loving AMAZING. Thank you. My in-laws are going to love/hate me tomorrow when I bring them up there with me.

Aren't they the best?! At least you're bringing them somewhere that you can share them with others. It's REALLY dangerous to have them in your home fridge with no one else to eat them but yourself.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Made a test batch of these this week but I used too little chocolate (only had a tiny 70% cocoa chocolate plate to use) and I had none of those chocolate chips (I just can't find them in finland, never ever seen them), but they still turned out really nice even though I fudged the recipe on several points.

I had hazelnuts on them but didn't care for that, I think next time I will replace the hazel nuts with M&Ms or something like that.

You could just chop up chocolate and put it on top.
Alternately, I have subbed the chocolate-hazelnut spread for a white chocolate peanut butter and added a mixture of chocolate and peanut butter chips to the top! They turned out beautifully!

recipe: http://www.spachethespatula.com/triple-chocolate-peanut-butter-brownies/

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

clarabelle posted:

Question: does anyone know the laws regarding selling baked goods on the internet? I'm pondering selling my cake pops online, but I don't know what laws/guidelines I have to be in compliance with.

Etsy is a great place to sell baked goods on the net!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

clarabelle posted:

I've had a few people recommend using etsy, do you have to pay taxes on stuff you sell on there?

According to their policy, you don't "have to." You do owe them a fee for each thing you sell (3.5% +$0.10 listing fee). However, they recommend checking with your local government to see if you need to be collecting taxes, and they have an option for you to do so when selling your goods.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made a Coconut-Chocolate Bundt Cake with Coconut Porter:

I managed to forget 1/2 the cocoa powder because I don't know how to pay attention. This led to me questioning whether I even liked the cake. After I single-handedly ate 1/2 of it, I decided I should probably admit that I did indeed like it.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Recipe, please! What brand of porter did you use?

Sure, http://www.spachethespatula.com/salted-coconut-chocolate-bundt-cake/

I used the Coconut Porter from the Maui Brewing Company

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made this rosemary-pine nut butter cake with a whipped honey-orange ricotta cream:

It's not at all the texture of a cake. It's much more like a blondie---dense and chewy. It is also insanely delicious.
recipe: http://www.spachethespatula.com/rosemary-pine-nut-butter-cake-with-whipped-honey-orange-ricotta-cream/

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made madeleines.

They are Lavender-Glazed Lemon-Thyme Madeleines.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
Peanut Dacquoise with Peanut Butter Mousse:

Strawberry-Lavender Buckwheat Cake with Lemon Curd:

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

madlilnerd posted:

Peanut butter, chocolate, and meringue, you say? I think I may just have found my dream cake.

Is there a recipe I could have?

Haha, absolutely: http://www.spachethespatula.com/peanut-dacquoise-with-peanut-butter-mousse-and-chocolate-glaze/

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Sjurygg posted:

Any wheat in there? A buddy of mine has gluten intolerance and I wanted to bake him a cake some day.

Yeah, it's mostly all-purpose flour. But, I imagine you could sub it with any gluten-free baking flour blend (like King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill).

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made a big ol' Oreo

It's basically two giant brownies stuffed with Cookies N' Cream Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Holy poo poo that's a ton of frosting. Looks cool, but still: holy poo poo.

Oh you have no idea. It was insane. In a really great way.

Also, no frosting on the top or sides, so it all goes in the middle.

• Locked thread