Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I just discovered this thread, looking through about to start one about cake decorating. I'll post my three last cakes, although they aren't as good as some of the ones in here. All three were made for goon birthdays, and the last two are my first and second attempts at making and using fondant. I'm making a birthday cake for myself in a week and am seriously considering buying the fondant made and flavouring it a little. It's just so hot and humid in Australia right now for fondant to work well...

Anyways, without further ado...

he's a big superman fan. It was for his birthday, delivered to his office desk. EDIT: It was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing (he was very insistent on chocolate). The candy are m&ms and maltesers. The chocolate cake recipe itself was so moist I had to make the base cake three times, since it kept sticking to the pan. However, I personally dislike chocolate cakes, and I loved this one, so if you want the recipe, let me know.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

This was for another friend's birthday. If any of you remember the Australian goon love thread, you might realize who this was for ;) EDIT: I made the cake itself from a cake mix, since it was the first time i was working with fondant and wanted lots of time to work with it. A fun trick was that I made a rasberry filling for the cake and spread it throughout the batter, so that when the cake was cut, it bled.

Made this cake with fellow goon dominiongalactica for a bbq. We make very goony cakes... By far the hardest cake I've made, wouldn't have happened without dominion, mostly because it was so humid that the fondant wasn't forming, wasn't rolling, etc! It's hard to make a cake when its 40C degrees outside with 60% or so humidity! EDIT: Thankfully, the cake itself came from a Sara Lee Factory Outlet, meaning that it tasted great, was a good size to begin with, and we didn't have to attempt to bake a cake.

edit: So, I changed the photo to a better, clearer, finished cake and add a little bit on information about each cake.

Also, I'm going to try using the marshmallow fondant for my birthday this friday. I'll post results when I have them! I'm making a 3D version of this:

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I was going to add this to my previous post, but with a wall of text already, thought this would be easier to digest.

Does anyone know how to make gum paste? I saw that its been mentioned once or twice, but a recipe has never been given...

Also, my family hate sweet stuff, but love cake. I'm making my brother's birthday cake in late December and I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice as to what kind of cake/icing I could use? I've found a cherry cake that looks delicious, but I'm still stuck as to what icing to put with it...

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, i tried the marshmallow fondant. I accidentally started the kneading to early and got ridiculously sticky mashmallow all over me. however, once i managed to fix that and add lots more sugar in, it worked really well. Definitely reccommend it to anyone, especially if you've never made fondant before. I found it was much easier than making fondant. Tastes really sweet but much more edible than any fondant i've made or tasted. now to colour and form each piece of the cake that i need. making that tiny guitar is going to kill me...

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, I finished my birthday cake. Didn't come out as awesome as I wanted, but I found out that when my roommate moved out, she also took the rolling pin and any sharp implements. I didn't want to buy news ones so I made this cake with toothpicks and spoons. It was pretty ghetto.

I have to say that the moment the fondant dried out a little, it was really hard to work with, but adding a little sugar made it really sticky. Anyone have any tips?

Edit: also, I cannot wait until my SLR gets fixed for Christmas. It would be nice to not have lovely blurry cameras.

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 27, 2009

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
They're legs and arms.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Fun cookie cutters (that can also be used for fondant) or pans in cool shapes are also a fun extra little gift and you can usually find them pretty cheap.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
monkeysee.com has some good cake decorating videos. both fondant and buttercream icing.

as far as making the fondant, i tried making my own and I hated it. I made it with the marshmallow fondant, and have made it since, and it's worked out great. I'll post pictures of my latest cake now!. it actually looked really nice and smooth, a first for me.

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 6, 2010

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Fight Club posted:

Bassinet cake

I've always been curious about the weaving technique. Would you mind sharing how you do it?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Rubber Nugget posted:

Yayyy people I can show my work to that aren't my parents!

I love the leaveees. Hand dusted. Every. drat. One.

They're foam dummies... But I decorate cakes, I don't bake em!
(Well I do, but.. let's not talk about it.)

How do I become you?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Rubber Nugget posted:

Well my actual job title is "Cake Decorator", so at work I don't bake 'em. If a friend or someone asks me personally then I'll make an attempt at something delicious.

Out of pure curiosity, how do you become a Cake Decorator?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
As someone born and raised mostly in Paris, King Cake in Europe is quite different from that in the USA.

King Cake in France is traditionally eaten around the epiphany, Jan 6th. There's a baby jesus in the cake, or a bean, and the "idea" is that whoever finds the baby pays for the cake next year!

The cake itself is similar in making, as far as I can tell, except that it doesn't have the hole in the middle, nor is it covered sprinkles, or sugar, or color.

Wikipedia probably has better info, this is just my personal, family experience.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Ringlet_Bob posted:

I didn't know the Parisians are the Scots of the French :iceburn:
I confirm (and it's surprisingly easy to make).

First off, I'll ignore the iceburn, if I must, because you seem to have a king cake recipe, and I've been trying to show my Texan friends (I live in Texas for now) what a real King's Cake is.

Would you mind sharing?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Ringlet_Bob posted:

While we're asking for advice, I'll be baking a Landrover shaped cake for my husband's birthday next week. I don't really bake so any advice over good cake recipes, shaping the cake, getting the bits to hold together as well as decorating it would be appreciated :shobon:

The last time I made a car cake, I made a small car on a large squared cake (for a mud pit - it was a monster truck cake). I'll tell you what I did, and you can adjust it to how you want to make your cake. I made the square cake in a normal pan, made it even, all that jazz. I used a banana bread mold (a narrow and deep rectangular mold) for the body of the car and made cupcakes for the wheels (i cut up the cupcakes into a narrow wheel shape, and ate all the rest!) With the body of the car, I just gently and carefully started shaving away the shape of it. As far as holding everything up, I used toothpicks.

For a recipe, it really depends on what you want. What kind of cake? My recommendation would be to make the body of the cake (the car itself, if you're going to set it on a cake base) really moist and good. If you want to make the whole thing edible, find a recipe that isn't too moist, or the smaller pieces, like the wheels, might fall apart. You could always just use styrofoam or non edible pieces for the smaller bits as well. I know a couple of good recipes, just let me know what specific kind of cake you want and I'll look up what I've got.

I've been using a lot of fondant lately, and I like how it looks better than icing, probably because I'm pretty bad at decorating with normal icing. However, it really depends on what you're comfortable with, what colors you want to use, what budget you have for this, etc.

Hope I helped!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Made Kings Cake!

I'd never worked with puff pastry before, which meant I had to throw the third one out since it thawed too much and became super super sticky. However, the first two came out looking great! Thanks so much for the recipe Ringlet_Bob!

Sorry I didn't respond telling you about recipes, but turns out I have no carrot cake recipes anyways. I've had a crazy busy couple of weeks, so I'm taking my day off and making cake!!! Have a party I'm going to tonight where I plan to show off France's awesome food superiority to Texans.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

Can anyone share a good yellow cake recipe? I was fairly unsatisfied with the one I used--it was a little more bready and a little less tender than I'd like.

Found this one on bakerella.com, and I love it. It's really simple and easy and delicious.

Here's the recipe:
Simple Sprite Cake
1 white cake mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box instant vanilla pudding (3 oz. size)
8 oz. can of Sprite (the mini one)

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
* Mix ingredients on low until combined and then increase speed to medium and mix for about 2 minutes.
* Pour batter into pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I always use yellow cake mix, however, and lemon vanilla pudding, or french vanilla, stuff like that.

The direct link to the recipe is: http://www.bakerella.com/super-eazy-no-fuss-just-fizzy/

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

SusiePhone posted:

I dunno if anyone is interested in semi-professional cakes, but my mom makes some awesome poo poo; https://www.janescakes.co.uk (shameless plug because I love my mum and it's mother's day here in the U.K on sunday!)
She made my wedding cake, which has been doing the rounds online. Just click on the 'discworld' link on the main page.
She does these in her kitchen, she doesn't have a team to help her, and she has worked most of it out from scratch (with the help of my dad, who's an engineer!)
If anyone wants info on tecniques or recipes, I can get them from her.

If no-one wants semi-pro, ignore this post! :)

Those cakes are amazing. Absolutely amazing. I wish I was that talented. Tell your mother there's a young woman out in Texas who wishes she lived in England again, just so I could beg to work for her.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how do you make a round cake?

Also, has anybody ever attempted a rubicks cube cake? I'm making one soon, so if anybody has any tips...

Finally, I'm also making an upside down pineapple cake for a birthday. When my friend told me he wanted an upside down pineapple cake I through he was making stuff up, but turns out its a true cake. Does anybody have any good recipes? Otherwise I'm doing a google search and picking the first one that looks good, but I always like following a recipe that I know has worked before...

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

mich posted:

Recipe

Thank you so much. I'm thinking I'm going to try this out next monday before I actually make it, mostly because caramel like mixtures make me nervous.

Oh well, my family/friends/significant other will be happy with free cake. I might even just start off making the cupcakes...

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
While I have not made that Upside down Pineapple cake yet (its happening on Wednesday or this weekend, I promise), I did make another fondant cake. And that cheesecake recipe.

The cheesecake was absolutely ridiculous. My friends all stared at the cheesecake and the pot of nutella with a weird look on their face and wouldn't let me cover the cake with it. However, once I got it cut up they started slathering up the slices with nutella...

Anyways, without further ado:

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I made Angel Food Cake!

I'm not American (well, I got my citizenship last week, but you know what I mean...) but this was my first time even hearing about Angel Food cake, let alone making it. It was delicious! My friends and I also made sugar cookies, which were okay tasting, but were fun to decorate, and even funner to cut using my Australian themed cookie cutters!!!

Anyways, photos:

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

frankdiabetes posted:

May I ask where you got that koala cutter? It is too cute.

Got it in Melbourne, Australia, while I lived there.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I have a question about the multi coloured cake. So I get the idea of putting lots of different coloured batter and using a knife to mix it up and stuff, but to get these layers? I figure that horizontal layers are made with thicker batter and layered, but how do you make horizontal stripes???

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

Too lazy to look for the rainbow cake thread, but there are many people who did this with rainbows of many different color combos.

The rainbow cake thread is now in the archives, which is why I thought to ask here. Thanks a lot! It's the gay pride parade saturday in Houston, so I'm making a cake for that.

The batter needs to be rather thick, right?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I'm getting ready for a crazy end of the week. My roommate, two really good friends, boyfriend, and sister all have their birthdays within three days from each other. And of those birthday, two are 21st. I'll post my cakes in the next couple of weeks. So far, I'm combining several people since they're having joint birthday parties, so its one red velvet cake with a recipe I'm super excited to try, and the other is an oreo ice cream cake.

I meant to ask, I ordered some icingimage like you did Charmmi and looked through their instructions. I can't use an icingimage with ice cream cake can i?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Charmmi posted:

I placed the image on a layer of whipped cream. The instructions actually recommend buttercream or storebought icing as the foundation, and if it's on a wetter frosting like whipped cream it might bleed a bit if it sits for a long time. I have not used it on straight ice cream but the film was not impacted by sitting in a freezer after being transferred onto the cake. If your icing sheet comes with extra bits on the edges like mine did you can always experiment a little scrap.

Thank you so much. I called in today to ask, and they ended up looking up image. It's a threadless shirt design that my boyfriend owns which is a clown throwing up rainbows in a toilet. Needless to say, it got a little awkward on the phone.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Am currently working on my first red velvet cake.

it is green, because I did not have enough red food colouring.

Also, I'm trying the traditional frosting recipe, and I'm holding my breath. Not sure how it will turn out.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
The icing worked out. i was afraid it was too sweet at first, but it's actually really awesome. I'll post the picture in a little bit, and the icing recipe if you guys are interested, especially the newbie with the red velvet icing question!

Edit: so, it came out dry, and I know why. My recipe calls for half an hour at 350, but my oven sucks rear end, so i had to put it in for an hour, which dried it out. I know I need to increase the heat, but do I increase it to 375 or 400?

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2010

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Wroughtirony, I ended up making two batches of cookies later in the week where the first batch at 350 was bad, but the second at 400 was perfect. I upped the temperature to 400 and the cake came out perfect in 30 minutes. Essentially, the oven is not well calibrated, about 50 degrees not well calibrated.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Egad! posted:

Red Velvet Cake

Got this from AllRecipes.com. It's so red, you'll be making GBS threads weird colours. Also, two ounces is two of the small bottles, so it's quite a lot.

I also included the icing directions although I failed miserably when I attempted it.

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

Grease two 9 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring. Set aside.
Combine the buttermilk, salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the cocoa mixture. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. Stir together baking soda and vinegar, then gently fold into the cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To Make Icing: In a saucepan, combine the milk and 5 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy, then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture, beating until icing reaches spreading consistency.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, my brother's birthday is on December 26th, so I made him a birthday cake! I wasn't going for looks, more like taste (orange juice cake, lemon icing, fresh fruit and whipped cream). Unfortunately, because the kitchen was really warm due to all the cooking we were doing, and I wasn't thinking right (bit too much eggnog) and didn't think to let the whipped cream come down to room temperature, it all melted before it could make it to the table. There are pictures I need to dig up and I'll post them as soon as I do. It's absolutely hilarious. But, it tasted GREAT!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
If it has Nutella, I want the recipe.

Please.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

theunderwaterbear posted:

read post, find link

So so sorry, didn't read, just got drooly at Nutella in baked goods.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Add two eggs, 1/2 cup of butter, throw in some chocolate candy and make cookies.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

PezMaster posted:

Hid Cadbury creme eggs inside some devil food cake and topped it with marshmallow frosting and coconut. It brought terror into the hearts of men.

Just made this. It was amazing. As my friend very aptly said to your picture when trying to convince him, "It's like a wound. A big, gaping, delicious wound."

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Oh my lord, daniyellee that's amazing.

If you guys have any chocolate/superhero lovers, I made this cake for a friend a couple of years back. It's very simple to make and turned out awesome. Plus, no fondant! This is not the picture of my cake, by the way, because the picture I have is just terrible and doesn't show what I wanted it to. Sorry for the water mark:

Its just a square cake made of whatever you wish, with chocolate frosting (unless you choose vanilla frosting) and whoppers and m&ms. This cake used red vines (the candy thing) to lay out the template but when I did it, I freehanded it and it turned out fine. It also gives you lots of left over candy :D

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
The first ice cream cake I made, for my boyfriend's 21st, didn't freeze, since his aunt keep opening the freezer every. five. minutes. to get beer. I was in tears. They served it anyways, even though it looked TERRIBLE. It was so melty I couldn't even put icing on it.

Well, there was definitely a big lull of oh poo poo, we have to eat this, but the cake actually tasted amazing. I've been asked to make that cake again 4 times since, and it's always been possible, mostly because I'm now insistent that NO ONE ELSE CAN USE THE FREEZER!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
With a little extra work, you can also make all purpose flour into cake flour

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Are you looking for icing/cake combos or vegan recipes? I have a delicious vegan chocolate cake recipe if you're interested.

Although, fun note, I made said chocolate cake for my birthday, served it for all my friends, they'd all taken a couple bites when I suddenly scream "OH poo poo, if you're allergic to avocadoes DON'T EAT THE CAKE!" Turns out the only person who was actually allergic hadn't taken a bite yet since they were in the restroom. Scared the hell out me though.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Moving away from Cake Pops discussion, I made a delicious Chocoflan for my birthday.

The picture isn't great, but I'll include it anyway. I'm making it again for my brother's birthday on Dec. 26th, so I'll try to snap a better picture!

The recipe for Chocoflan give to me called for a boxed mix, which I found unacceptable, so I replaced it with Joy the Baker's Vegan Chocolate Cake (which is so ridiculously delicious!).

So, I've included the recipe for the flan and how to put the cake together, and I'm pretty sure you can pair it with any chocolate cake you wish!

Chocoflan cake:

For the cake:
you're favorite Chocolate cake recipe
For the Flan:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can of evaporated milk (12 oz)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup or more of cajeta or caramel sauce (or use 1/2 cup of sugar and melt it in a pan to make caramel)
Pan: 12-cup bundt pan, 12-cup tube cake pan, or 2 bread loaf pans (I used bundt obviously)

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pour 1/4 cup or more of the cajeta or caramel sauce into the pan. (or melt the 1/2 cup of sugar in a pan to make caramel, then pour into the pan)
3. Follow the instructions on the chocolate cake mix to blend the chocolate cake ingredients. (do not bake yet)
4. Pour the chocolate cake batter into the pan.
5. Put 4 eggs, 1 can of condensed milk, 1 can of evaporated milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla in a blender. Blend for about 1 minute, or beat the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into the pan over the chocolate mix by using a spoon to gently slide it down. It's doesn't slide down at all, it becomes a big mess of batter that inserted into the oven separates itself out
6. Bake as instructed on the chocolate cake mix box or until a toothpick comes out clean. For a 12-cup bundt pan, it takes about 45 minutes.
7. Let it cool on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When you're ready to serve, put a large plate over the pan and flip it over, make sure to scrape the extra caramel off onto the plate.

Hopefully this can be of used by one of you guys!

Edit: also, if anybody has any suggestion on how to get caramel onto this, the caramel isn't runny like I love it on flan, but I'm not sure about making the cake and then adding the caramel on top afterwards...

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Tiramisu posted:

Thought I'd do something creative and did a little research on how to use fondant. I made a rose cake for Valentine's day but I still ended up buying my girlfriend flowers anyway. I think the rose turned out pretty well. Fondant's pretty easy to work with if time consuming but it seriously tastes like rear end. You can't see because I intentionally hid the leaves but I really hosed those up.

My boyfriend never bakes for me :(

Anyways, I've had some great fondant and some horrible one. Which kind did you by? There's the fondant hawked by the dude who does the "Ace of Cakes" show, I bought it once when I needed a deep red fondant and didn't want to color my own. It's pricey, but quite tasty...

• Locked thread