Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
My boyfriend's 21st birthday is tomorrow!

I made a vanilla and chocolate marble cake filled with Reese's peanut butter cups and peanut butter. It is base-iced with peanut butter chocolate buttercream, and the roses/decoration are with regular chocolate buttercream. Reese's Pieces finish off the design. The icing was pretty hard to work with today. It was about 80 degrees in my un-airconditioned kitchen.

I love decorating cakes. I have been doing it since I was about 6 years old with my grandma, then worked in a bakery for 4 years. I don't get to do it very often anymore, but love to do cakes for friends and family parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
It is a standard chocolate buttercream. I like this recipe the best.

For chocolate peanut butter buttercream:
1/3 cup Crisco
1/3 cup butter
about 1/3 to 1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
about 1/2 to 2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
4-5 tablespoons milk

You really have to play around with the amounts to get it tasting how you like it. Mine never ends up the same. Also, I don't recommend decorating or making roses with it. It melts VERY easily.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
PezMaster - Years and YEARS of practice. And really stiff icing.

Also, I almost always use a 102 rose tip (unless I'm making some huge roses) with a size 7 nail. I never use scissors to remove. I use a small thin 6 inch angled spatula to remove the rose, then use the edge of the rose nail to gently remove it onto the cake.

But practice makes perfect, and don't have too much icing in your bag. That helps as well.

Pragmatica fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 11, 2010

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
As a side note, I was just offered the cake decorator position at the local Walmart here in town. They just had someone put in their notice, and I have had to fill in for call-in decorators a couple time. Prepare for more cake photos from me soon!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I am looking for a gluten-free chocolate/coffee cake with a complimentary chocolate (preferred) icing. Any suggestions?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Click here for the full 968x1296 image.

Made this cake for a friend. I'm not super happy with it, but I thought I would share anyway.

I tried a different chocolate buttercream recipe, and I prefer something a little more glossy. Oh well. It tastes great, but it was VERY hard to smooth and hardened quickly. I used a warm spatula, but it is still full of lines. I wish I had a better scraper like I have at work. Goofed up the writing a bit as well. I'm sure she won't even notice though.

I hate being a perfectionist...

Anyway, the cake is gluten free chocolate with a coffee cream between the layers - 3 layers of cake, 2 layers of amazing cream.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Just a pretty sheet cake I did at work today. I love doing chocolate base icing with bright colors!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Dancingthroughlife posted:

^^ I think that's a pretty cake! How hard were the roses, I haven't attempted them yet.

Roses aren't hard, they just take practice. I work with mostly buttercream and whipped icings in the bakery, so I try to get a firm consistency with the icing. I use a102 or 104 depending on the size of the rose. Just look up videos online. Best tip I have: always count your petals and tilt the nail, not you wrist. I still do both of these things after 15+ years of decorating.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

PoliSciGirl posted:

Any suggestions on making a poinsettia cake?

Do you mean how to make poinsettias with icing? I use a #352 tip to make the petals and leaves and #3 for the yellow center dots. A #366 will work as well for leaves and petals.

I start with a base of five large petals in a star shape. Then, alternate the 5 petals on top with medium petals. Then, add 4-5 small petals.

Looks like this (not my cake):

But, if you are talking about a recipe of some kind, sorry... but here is a way to decorate it!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Did some cupcakes for a Walmart competition (I'm a cake decorator there). I want to post pictures soooooo badly, but I really want to win for my region. ARGH! I promise to post soon.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
As promised - My cupcakes for a contest Walmart is having! (Back story: I've been doing cakes for a LONG time. We just opened a new supercenter, and are hoping to win so we can get some awesome press for our new bakery.)

And the some of the individual cupcakes before I put them on display.

Woooo buttercream!!! :3:

Pragmatica fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 9, 2011

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I did a fun 2 tier for a baby shower today. They wanted something simple, classic, and girly. The layers are filled with bright pink icing as well. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
It's just regular buttercream that Walmart and Sam's Club use. I think it is really good for a store bought/mass produced icing. It's nice to work with as well.

• Locked thread