Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I wish I saved the pictures of the "cheesecake" I made for my husband's roommate their freshman year. The guy was on the Atkins diet at the time so regular cake was verboten. Instead, we bought two bricks of cheddar cheese for the cake layers and slices of provolone and pepperoni to be sandwiched inside as frosting. It took him two weeks to eat all that cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

The easiest, but certainly not tastiest, would be to use the candy alphabets usually sold in grocery store baking aisles.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I made a birthday cake this weekend. It was delicious and I ate way too much.

It was about 8 inches tall, filled with nutella, strawberries, and whipped cream.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

For my birthday I made a Swedish Princess Cake. It was three layers of genoise cake with jam, pastry cream, and whipped cream in the middle and a big mound of whipped cream on top. Traditionally a layer of marzipan is used to cover the cake but I made marshmallow fondant instead.

I also made hummus, salsa, and macarons and three kinds of bread but the focaccia got devoured before we could photograph it.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 22, 2010

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I used the schematic here minus the outermost cake layer and buttercream, the genoise cake recipe I followed is here.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Lots of beautiful cakes to look at when I checked the thread today!

Here is my contribution, I like my husband so I made him this thing to eat on his birthday:

bday-7327 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

bday-7367 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

It is a banana split ice cream cake, featuring all the flavors and fixin's you would expect on a banana split. There is a graham cracker crust, a layer of dulce de leche, bananas, vanilla ice cream, strawberries in balsamic vinegar, strawberry ice cream, chocolate ganache with hazelnuts, chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, and a robocop riding a unicorn. Look at the happy~

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I ordered it from http://www.icingimages.com.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I placed the image on a layer of whipped cream. The instructions actually recommend buttercream or storebought icing as the foundation, and if it's on a wetter frosting like whipped cream it might bleed a bit if it sits for a long time. I have not used it on straight ice cream but the film was not impacted by sitting in a freezer after being transferred onto the cake. If your icing sheet comes with extra bits on the edges like mine did you can always experiment a little scrap.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Icingimages are, sadly, already obsolete. Observe: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/09/augmented_reality_cake.html

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Oh my goodness that is adorable! :3:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

What's the chemical reaction for turning red?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

PezMaster posted:

There's a chrysanthemum cake from Korea that looks beautiful. I have no idea where to get the chrysanthemums from. I'm sure it's not too healthy just to into someone's back yard and pick some off a bush? There's also a lot of rosewater cakes (from India and Pakistan) and a Sugared-Pear flower cake.

Asian grocery marts usually has dried chrysanthemum flowers, probably in their tea section.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

My formula for calculating how much to charge for any kind of skilled artisan labor is (time spent on project)x(your desired hourly pay if you were doing this full time 40hrs a week) + materials costs. Let's say you would only consider doing this full time if you were paid $20/hr. That means the cake is worth $600.

Don't undervalue yourself, the cake looks wonderful.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

tekopp what a bummer! All I can say is UGH!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

PezMaster posted:

Raw Cashew Dreamcake

Not my picture, but proof that these cakes are delicious:

I made this cake last night for a friend's coming home party and it was a huge hit! I thought it would be appropriate since she was coming home from spending two months in France eating nothing but croissants and butter and cheese.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Every year I make an ice cream cake for my husband's birthday. I don't know how I am going to top this next year.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Yup I bought toy unicorn figurines at Michael's. He likes having something to keep after the cake is all gone.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Carrot cake is my father in law's favorite and I have had excellent results using this smitten kitchen recipe. I use dried cranberries instead of raisins. He is an adorable old man who has been cooking for 40+ years and is very hard to please. When I make something that doesn't come out quite right he will come right out and say it. I have made this cake for him twice and both times he wandered off muttering "best drat carrot cake I ever ate."

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Make an enormous rainbow cake shaped like a pot of gold. They won't know what to do with themselves.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Here's one idea.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Holy poo poo cake potatoes. I am so making those. Thanks for the link PezMaster!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I made the little spongecakes but they deflated as soon as I took them out of the oven. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe I folded too roughly or something.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

That makes sense, since the cake is made with mostly cornstarch and a little bit of flour. I made it again with the same deflaty results. I'll increase the flour on my next attempt and see what happens. There's no baking soda/powder though, only beaten egg whites.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

chuchumeister posted:

I was originally going to go with either meatloaf cupcakes like the first recipe or Irish Carbomb cupcakes this year... but holy poo poo. Little potato cakes. I die. Must do. Is marzipan readily available? I've never noticed it in the baking section of my grocery stores.

I made almond paste out of some blanched almonds I found at my Asian grocery store. I've used the storebought kind before and I made basically the same thing.

http://www.two-tarts.com/2011/06/homemade-almond-paste.html

I'm going to attempt the potato cakes a third time, I hate when I can't get a baked thing right.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I haven't had time to try it again but hopefully I will make another attempt tonight.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

The kittens are solid fondant? I thought they'd at least be fondant covered cakepops or filled with marzipan. I think rice krispies treats are also used for fondant support. How tall is the copier portion?

I saw a lady wearing that t-shirt in my restaurant this weekend and it made me think about this cake. Small world!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I've made my birthday cake for the last couple of years. I enjoy the process of baking and decorating cakes as well as eating a really tasty one (because I made it). It's my gift to myself.

My father in law indulges in sweets very rarely but he enjoys a good carrot cake. I made the smitten kitchen carrot cake with cranberries and walnuts. I frosted it with the mascarpone whipped cream from her chocolate wine cake recipe. I think I like it even better than cream cheese frosting. The mascarpone whipped cream tastes like a luxurious room temp vanilla ice cream.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

What's the white stuff made of? What did you fill it with?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I'm glad someone brought up Victoria Sponge. It is one of my favorite cake things because it's so simple and elegant. I prefer the classic version with whipped cream, jam, and powdered sugar dusted on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Undead Waterfowl posted:

Okay... I have a smallish dilemma that I'm sure you talented goons can help me with. I'm supposed to be making a very good friend's birthday cake next weekend and I want to make a good, from scratch cake. His favorite cake is french vanilla. Now I've seen some great recipes here for plain yellow cakes that seem like a great start, but how can I get a really good vanilla flavor without messing up someone's tried and true recipe?

Also, this is a Star Wars themed thing, so I'm cheating a bit as I'm no artist and will be using a Vader head shaped pan. It might look a bit silly, but I really want it to taste amazing. He's a great guy and deserves an awesome cake. Thanks in advance!

The only way my husband knows the difference between Vanilla Ice Cream and French Vanilla Ice Cream is one of them has little black specks in it and that's why it tastes better. Definitely look for recipes that tell you to scrape out the insides of a vanilla bean instead of extract and you'll be great.

• Locked thread