Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I made some 1up cookies for a friend who's in the hospital.

I used a simple recipe for sugar cookies, and decorated them with icing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

zerox147o posted:

I have never once considered getting a mushroom shaped cookie cutter, but suddenly I cannot live without one. Now just to wait for someone to have some medical emergency.

A cookie cutter would have made it a hell of a lot easier. I think I need one to. I shaped those by hand, it took for ever. And I made over 60 cookies D:

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Baked a bit today too:

After this recipe: http://justjennrecipes.com/cinnamon-sugar-cupcakes/2010/04/20/

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I made some cakes for my daughters "Welcome to the world"-party this weekend.

I had made a few more cakes, a hundred pink minimuffins, and more muffins. And my mother and I made most of the food. We had 70-80 guests O_O Next time i get a kid, I'm not gonna cook everything myself. But it was fun, really fun.

(The deercake is after a Threadless desing, but I didn't make it in time to enter Threadcakes competition)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

This is gorgeous and very chic, it doesn't look overworked like a lot of cakes end up looking.

Did you use one of those giant doughnut-style cake tins or carve from a normal round cake?

Thank you! I used a cake tin with a hole in it.
The cake is a poundcake with no eggs, and rosewater buttercream and chocolate ganache.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

clarabelle posted:

I don't think I can do that. I need the clear parts to be amongst some fairly intricate patterns made of chocolate. Would clear piping gel do the trick?

Also, how does one colour white chocolate? I can colour it when it's in icing form, but it takes on a weird texture when I use paste colouring and barely takes the colour at all when I use gel. I only know of two decorating shops in Dublin, only one of them is easy to get to and its range isn't great

I think white chocolate is difficult to work with, and haven't tried colouring it, but what about powder colour?

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Oreo-brownies with vanilla-mascarpone-buttercream.
This was my own idea, and I'm very pleased with the result. They were probably the best cupcakes I've made.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Susical posted:

Tell me how to make those right now.

You put cupcakeliners in a cupcakepan, and place one oreo in each. Fill up with browniebatter and bake.
The buttercream is about 100g butter, 200g mascarpone and 300-400g powdered sugar whipped together.

I used this recipe for the brownies, but you can use any recipe you want, or even ready cake mixes.

In English it says:
Quick Brownies
120 g butter
2,5 dl sugar
2 large eggs
2-3 teaspoons vanilla
almost 1 dl of cocoa powder
1,25 dl flour
a quarter of a teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt

Melt the butter, and stir inn eggs and sugar. Sift in flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder and vanilla. Stir well, and bake in a small greased pan at 175 degrees celsius for 25-30 minutes.

When baking cupcakes, the baking time is only about 12-15 minutes :)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

zerox147o posted:

A) Yes you do, every time I see you post in this thread it is something delicious/awesome/both.

2) I have not seen an answer to this and it must be bookmarked in the "cool poo poo to be used as gifts later".

III) I need to make those cupcakes for the next birthday/whatever party is soonest to right now.

The cupcake stand is bought somewhere in Norway, probably in Oslo or Østfold, at least three years ago.
I found it in my mothers kitchen, and it now lives in mine.

And that giraffe is amazing!

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Flantastic posted:

Well, following up on the wedding - she wants the cake for around $100. So, I'm getting screwed over a lot. I'll just change it all over to box mixes. I feel like my soul is dying. I had great recipes picked out, all delicious and fresh. Curses!

I just made a wedding cake for a random stranger, and I used around 1000 NOK in ingredients.(Almost 200$. Norway is expensive)
And I have no idea what she plans on paying me, I said we'd talk about it after the wedding, because I didn't know how much time, indredients, etc. making a wedding cake would take. Or if the cake would turn out good. If it ended up being crap, I'd feel bad about saying a high price.

Around here weddingcakes seem to cost about 2000-8000 NOK in bakeries, mine being the size of the more expensive ones, and they don't have handmade decorations. I'm thinking about suggesting around 3-4000, maybe. I spent 20 hours making decorations, baking, decorating, and delivering the cake.

If she suggests 100$ (500 nok), I'd probably start crying.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Pictures of my wedding cake! ("My" cake, as in I made it, not my wedding)

I'm happy with the symmetry here:

Picture of me placing the butterflies:

(Yes, I look terrible, but that's what happens after baking til 3:30 at night, and then continuing at 09:00 in the morning. Shower and make-up was not a priority.)

I had a little help from my father, who's a carpenter:

Perfect edges. But they got rounder after a while because of the warm weather.

The butterflies are royal icing. The bottom cake is chocolate with white chocolate buttercream, the next is pink vanilla cake withwhite chocolate buttercream with crushed oreos, and the top is chocolate cake with coffee chocolate buttercream.
Covered in marshmellow fondant, and decorated with royal icing and homemade macarons.

It was quite fun to do, but a bit more work than I though at first. And the guys at the supermarked got a laugh when I came running as fast as I could, one minute after closing time, in my pajamas, covered in powdered sugar, desperate for butter and sugar. The let me buy it :)

I used Smitten Kitchens best birthday cake recipe, and added cocoa powder to the chocolate ones.
Basic buttercream with butter and powdered sugar, and melted chocolate, and some vanilla seeds.

Any suggestions on what to charge for this? (See the post above this one)

Edit: the photos make the cake look so small, but it was actually quite big.
The one in the picture of my dad, is the smallest one.

Edit2: the photos with white background are missing some butterflies. I attached them when we arrived at the party, so the in the photos I took before we left, they were just loosely sitting on the cake.

tekopp fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 18, 2011

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Charmmi posted:

My formula for calculating how much to charge for any kind of skilled artisan labor is (time spent on project)x(your desired hourly pay if you were doing this full time 40hrs a week) + materials costs. Let's say you would only consider doing this full time if you were paid $20/hr. That means the cake is worth $600.

Don't undervalue yourself, the cake looks wonderful.

Thanks for the answer :)
So I'm not way off asking for 3500 NOK (640$). The normal hourly pay in Norway for people working at bakeries is between 130 and 200, it seems. Depending on where you work. And I make 135 in my usual front desk job at a camping site. So 1000 for ingredients, and then 125 per hour. (My boyfriend tells me I worked at least 25 hours actually. He counted, and I didn't. So then it's 100 per hour, if he's right.)

I'm happy with 3500, I hope she agrees :)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

If I ever convince my boyfriend to marry me please make me a cake like that. Macarons are the best. :swoon:

Sure! I wonder how it would look after being sent in the mail from Norway :3

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Thanks for the cake help dad. :unsmith:

The cake was lovely but having dad whip out the carpenter tools was even better. Hell, carpenter's tools aren't cheap, add another 100NOK on top of your going price!

:D
Tools were clean, by the way. I bought them last year when I made a similar cake, so they're just for cake.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
She now claims the cake was completely inedible, it was so sweet no one even tasted it.
Wait, what? How can they know it's too sweet if no one tasted? And it was "inedible"?

I know for a fact it was a delicious cake. I made an extra tier in case something would go wrong, and ended up serving it to 10 of my friends two days after the wedding. They loved it (and then it was 2 days old!), and ate all of it.
And I tasted everything while making it, and it was really good.

She specifically asked for marshmellow fondant, and yes that is seriously sweet, but that's what she said she wanted.

I'm really sad right now, this sucks. I worked so hard on it, and spent a lot of time and effort.
She didn't even answer my first message, and only after more than a week she answered my second message.
And if the case was that she just expected the guests to cut a piece of the cake them selves, I totally understand why no one did. It's pretty big and might seem scary to cut into. I even offered to be there and cut and serve the cake. I asked three times before she gave an answer, she just talked about everything else. It's not like I wanted to be there for the party or anything, just to help out IF she needed it. I just wanted a yes or no. She said she had waiters. I saw them, they were two 14 year old girls who actually said they wouldn't touch that cake, out of fear of ruining it.

I delivered the cake too...

:(

Say something to make me happy, GWS <3

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks you guys :) I actually feel better about it today. gently caress her, I had fun making the cake anyway. And my friends and I got to eat the extra cake tier, and we enjoyed it. And I've got some nice pictures for my blog.

She wasn't a friend at all, in fact I've never met her. So gently caress that, I don't care what she thinks. She still has to pay at least for the ingredients, and for delivery, and a bit for the job, even if it probably will be almost nothing.

I've been a complete idiot for not making a contract, and deciding price right away. If she'd payed up front, she probably would have forced her guests to eat it anyway...

I usually take half up front, and the rest on delivery, on everything else I make. I'm actually a portait artist (and goldsmith student), and baking is just a fairly new hobby to me. So I was stupid enough to think "It's just a cake".

Oh well. I'm baking a cake shaped like a whale for someone else next month, for their babys christening :) I'm thinking chocolate cake with raspberries and mascarpone white chocolate vanilla frosting maybe, if she agrees.
I'll make a contract this time.

And PezMaster, that cake made me smile :D

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

You faced BrideZilla, and you lived to tell the tale. Basically you're Jeff Goldblum with T-Rex stinkybreath still lingering in his hair. This makes you rugged and cool, while still kinda nerdy.

Perhaps you could make a cake for our child's First Full Moon celebration sometime around mid-October? (Depending on when she decides to arrive). Anything that's not a Moon Cake (the Asian kind) is a good thing :-) Maybe a moon bunny, since it's the year of the rabbit? :v:

E: I forgot to ask if you live in or around Oslo :P

Sure! Making cakes for goons sounds like a better idea than making cakes for bridezillas.
I live in Sarpsborg, about 1,5 hours away. But I could drive halfway, and someone could meet me and pick it up?

I have no idea what traditional Moon Cakes are made of, and had never heard of it before googling it right now.

Maybe a cake shaped like a full moon with craters and stuff, with a cute baby bunny sleeping on it?

If you want to talk further you could send me an email, ew probably shouldn't take up space in this thread. josephinevictoriaryan@gmail.com

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Those cakepops look amazing, I want one right now! :D

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

clarabelle posted:

Depending on what part of the world you're in, that could be arranged (well, not right now, but in a reasonable amount of time). I need more practice, so I'm happy to do stuff at cost (ingredients & shipping). I haven't had a kitchen inspection from the council yet, so I can't do it commercially, but I think doing stuff at cost is ok.

I'm in Norway, where are you?

Maybe you could do a tutorial on how to make those? :D

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Sponge cake with dark chocolate cream cheese buttercream, and raspberry jam.

tekopp fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 30, 2011

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Whip 5 eggs and about 1,75 dl of sugar to a really thick foam, and fold inn 2,5 dl of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, a lot of vanilla, and spread on a paperlined baking tray, and bake for abour 5-7 minutes at 200 degrees celsius.

Mix about the same amount of butter and cream cheese (I used Philadelfia), vanilla, and powdered sugar. Melt some seriously dark chocolate, and let it cool a bit before adding to the buttercream.

Cut and stack the cake with raspberry jam in between, and frost it. I put frosting between the top layers too, because I made way too much frosting, as usual.
I'm not 100% sure about the measurements, because I just eyeballed it. But it think it's about right.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I'm making a whale cake!
Will post pictures when it's done.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

I was gonna make brownies for the lady's stepmom for her birthday tomorrow. First I lacked a square pan, so I just used a circular one instead. Then I was gonna decorate it with swirls of white and dark chocolate, but I was so tired after babytending this morning, so I went and took a powernap. When I woke up again and looked for it, the GF guiltily told me she'd eaten all of the white chocolate :3: so I used the rest for hot chocolate and decorated my circular brownie cake with caramellized nuts instead :-)

Wait, you're not a girl?

It looks delicious, I think this probably looks nicer than a square with white and dark chocolate. That's been done before, this is more original :)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

I used Smitten Kitchens best birthday cake recipe, and added 100 gr of meltet chocolate (70% cocoa)

The frosting inside the cake is white chocolate buttercream with crushed oreos and vanilla. Around the whale I used cream cheese buttercream with vanilla.
Covered the whole thing in marshmellow fondant.

I'm off to deliver it now, it's for a baby's christening.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

Whale cake. My God. That's awesome, what was the background for the request?

Oh. I seem that bent now, do I? :gay: Oh well, I hear that all the time from her as well. At least I know how to fix cars as a straight alibi.

*Best looking brownies ever*

She just really likes whales, so she wantet a cute whale cake for her baby's party.

I think it was the picture of the baby and a boob that made me assume it was your boob. (Well, it sort of is I guess)

The cake looks just fantastic. Recipe and explanation of how to make burnt almonds?

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Toast posted:

You know, I'm well aware I'm not the world's best cake decorator... but for the love of god why does no recipe I ever use produce enough frosting to cover the entire cake properly?

I always make way to much.
If you have a problem with not getting enough, start making 1,5 of the recipe.
It's better to have a little leftover, than having to start making more when you're almost done frosting the cake...

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

om nom nom

Thanks! I know what my friends are getting for christmas :smug:

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
White chocolate cupcakes with soft caramell and mascarponecream.

I also made one in a jar, I was intending to send it to a friend, but I forgot it was Saturday. Post office is closed tomorrow, so he'll get it Tuesday og Wednesday if I send it on Monday. I'm not so sure they'll still be delicious after so many days...

Link to the recipe on my blog: http://mammamiriel.blogg.no/1319304419_hvit_sjokolademuffins.html

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Works well with cheesecakes too:

You mix 100 gr melted butter with 300 gr crushed biscuits and put into the jar and press flat.
Whip 3 dl of cream, and in another bowl mix 200 gr Philadelfia cheese, 3 dl sour cream, 100 gr powdered sugar and one package of jelly dissovled in about 2 dl of water (for the kind that actually requires 4-5 dl, I don't remember exatcly. Less water than if you were just making jelly. ILet it cool on the counter before adding to the mix)

Then mix the two together, and pour over the bicuits and let it set in the fridge.
Make another packages of jelly according to the instructions and let it cool in room temperature, and pour into the jar and let it set.

(Have I posted this here before?)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
The cakepops sound great! Seriously, we need photos.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

It's the first time I've made this cake, but I think it turned out pretty good. It's a spongecake filled with whipped cream and covered in a thick caramellsauce.

The cupcakes are for familymembers with different allergies.
I made glutenfree cupcakes, eggfree, and lactosefree.

I'll tell you have it was after we've tasted it.

Edit: It was loving delicious.

tekopp fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 29, 2011

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Made the Smitten Kitchen peanutbutter cake again.
For the frosting I used one jar of smooth peanutbutter, about 500 gr mascarpone, 500 gr powdered sugar, and 200 gr of butter. And some vanilla.
And just plain chocolate ganache on top.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

I made this cake for a party for my friends baby daughter, and she just happens to be the cousin of the bridezilla who still hasn't payed for the wedding cake, and still refuses to speak with me (and changed her user account on the forum we communicated on). So she was there too, and sat almost opposite of me at the table. I think I saw a look of slight panic in her face when we first made eye contact. It might have been wishful thinking, but I hope she was feeling terrible all night.

Everyone loved the peanutbutter cake :D There was almost nothing left at the end of the night.

tekopp fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2011

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I'm making cupcakes for the christmas ball at my school, some regular, some vegan and some glutenfree. Any suggestions on flavour combinations? I can't decide what I'm going to make...

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I didn't know it was possible to be allergic to avocados.

Recipe would be nice, but I think all I need is some inspiration for flavour combinations :)

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I ended up making vegan coconut vanilla cupcakes with chocolate "buttercream", glutenfree vanilla cupcakes with white chocolate buttercream, regular chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate buttercream. Kind of boring, but good anyway.

I didn't get any pictures, because I put them on the table, went to get my camera, and they where all gone.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

clarabelle posted:

Has anyone done brushed embroidery cake decorating? I understand the theory, I'm just trying to figure out how time-consuming and fiddly it's going to be

I have :)
It's actually very easy, and a lot quicker than it looks.
Or, it's easy if you like painting, if you're new to drawing or painting, it might be a bit more time consuming I guess.

Use a short brush, and make sure you wipe it after each stroke, to keep it dry and remove excess icing. I use (clean) make up brushes.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Looks nice. Recipe?

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

PezMaster posted:

WHY DOES THIS EXIST??

Edit: Maybe, when this whole cake pop thing dies out, I'll buy one and make my own Tim Bits :canada:

What is this called, and where can I find one?

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

clarabelle posted:

Turns out brush embroidery is harder than it looks

It turned out really nice :)
Where did you get the snowflakes? Did you make those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

Preview of the dessert for my entry to the vanilla ICSA. Yeah, I know, it's boring. Making cupcakes with vanilla isn't exactly unique. But I loving love cupcakes.

I was taking pictures outside, and my kid gave me a twig, so I put it in the picture.

• Locked thread