Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
So, with cake balls/pops, can you make them with any given cake and any given frosting, or are there some types that are good and some that are gross? I notice that Bakerella says to use cream cheese frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks, The Heartless, my plan involves salted caramel buttercream and maybe almond cake.
In the meantime I made PezMaster's wonderful cardamom and pistachio cupcakes with rosewater buttercream and my family now thinks I'm a genius. I've used the orphaned egg yolks to make lemon curd with which I will make these little Neenish tarts.
Gonna blame this thread for the resurgence of my interest in baking.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

tekopp posted:

Sponge cake with dark chocolate cream cheese buttercream, and raspberry jam.

Post recipe! For cake not toddler. I think I've seen the recipe for toddlers.

BTW, clarabell, oh queen of cake pops, I believe you mentioned cakepop tutorial vids. May I just say YES PLEASE.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

tekopp posted:

Whip 5 eggs and about 1,75 dl of sugar to a really thick foam, and fold inn 2,5 dl of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, a lot of vanilla, and spread on a paperlined baking tray, and bake for abour 5-7 minutes at 200 degrees celsius.

Mix about the same amount of butter and cream cheese (I used Philadelfia), vanilla, and powdered sugar. Melt some seriously dark chocolate, and let it cool a bit before adding to the buttercream.

Cut and stack the cake with raspberry jam in between, and frost it. I put frosting between the top layers too, because I made way too much frosting, as usual.
I'm not 100% sure about the measurements, because I just eyeballed it. But it think it's about right.

Thanks! drat good-looking cake.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
tekopp, you are awesome!
Welp, I made cake pops with madeira cake and salted caramel buttercream. They are delicious but one cake made 52 cake pops and that's quite a lot. I dyed some white chocolate blue (gonna use fake chocolate instead of real chocolate next time because the chocolate is too thick and dominates the flavour) and they are like an army of blue aliens marching towards me. I'm terrified. Send help.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Holier than Thou posted:

Send a photo as proof and maybe I'll send help. Maybe.

I really need a camera.
edit: I subdued the aliens by dipping their top halves in dark chocolate and drizzling them with caramel. Turns out the way to make abstract patterns with caramel is to try to make non-abstract patterns with caramel.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 23, 2011

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Think you must have posted the wrong photo. That is a success cake.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Holy hell, I need the recipe for that.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Brandy is fabulous in baking.
Daniyellee -- Holy poo poo, that's incredible.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I LOVE the alot!
Muffy-the-diver, did you use powdered gelatine or leaf gelative? Leaf gelatine is generally a bit less hoofy than powdered gelatine.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

davestones posted:

Does anyone have a sure-fire, guaranteed-to-not-fail cupcake recipe they recommend? I have tasked myself with making some for work under the guise of charity and am beginning to regret it. The only cakes I can bake are rich pound-cake type recipes, which although delicious, are a little bit too heavy for what I am aiming for.

I am in the UK, so cups of flour and fluid ounces mean nothing to me unfortunately :(. Last time I tried to make cupcakes they ended up a soggy mess on top, and burnt on the bottom, but I know how to use the oven now. I will be using standard UK muffin tin sizes (5cm across the bottom).

Also at the same time, if anyone has any recipes for the buttercream on top (or frosting, or whatever it is called now). I have a recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery but it always seems to come out a little bit too runny for my liking.

These ones from Pezmaster work beautifully (I'm sure all her other ones do too, but these are the only ones I've tried). A cup is 250mls. http://www.cccakery.com/2010/12/kulfi-cupcakes.html

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

tekopp posted:

I'm making cupcakes for the christmas ball at my school, some regular, some vegan and some glutenfree. Any suggestions on flavour combinations? I can't decide what I'm going to make...
Boringish, but here's what's on my mind at the moment:
Salted caramel buttercream with vanilla, nutmeg and almond praline cupcakes.
Ginger and black pepper with brandy buttercream

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

madlilnerd posted:

My poor flatmate was slogging away cleaning an opaque layer of grossness off the oven and I told him that I'd make him any cake he wanted if he got it back to transparency.

He wants a lager cake. Not a stout or Guiness cake, one made with lager. I know he was taking the piss, but does anyone have a beer cake recipe?

This is a good stout cake. It probably wouldn't suffer too much from being made with lager. http://www.sweetjustice.org.nz/recipes/alison-holsts-special-trade-aid-choc-cake

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Coconut mojito mille crepe.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Kitten Kisses posted:

Never seen a crepe cake before, but now I really want to make one.

They're easy to make, but they do take up a fair bit of time. Though it probably wouldn't have taken so long if I had a crepe pan. I think I spent at least half an hour trying to figure out how to cook a rich crepe mix in a cast iron skillet.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I actually used this one, but I used a lot more lime and mint than the recipe specifies: http://www.cccakery.com/2012/03/guest-post-coconut-mojito-crepe-cake_24.html

The flavour was still subtle even with extra lime and mint. I think next time I make it, I'll use a less rich crepe recipe for ease of handling.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

headcas3 posted:

Thanks for the inspiration, made it on Sunday and it was amazing, first time making crepes. I definitely think the mint could be punched up a bit next time.

Yay, I'm glad you made it too. I'm not sure how much mint I'll use next time, but I think it'll be a fuckton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Cupcake batter...

Mascarpone...

Marsala...

Zabaglione...

Eggwhites...

Lamington syrup...

Coconut...

Wings...