Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I think I love piping daffodils the most. I can never make my buttercream look as smooth, so I tend to specialize in fondant cakes.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Wedding cake I made for a friend.

Click here for the full 1064x706 image.

In the spirit of upcoming Halloween. I made a matching cake with pumpkins.

Click here for the full 760x504 image.

Royal icing flowers that I had originally made for my wedding cake and then decided not to use them.

Click here for the full 760x504 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This is the top tier of my wedding cake, and the whole reason I started learning how to do cake decorating. We were broke and basically trying to have a nice wedding under 500 bucks. When I saw how much grocery stores were charging for wedding cakes, I decided I was going to go the cheap route and just make one myself.

And here's my grandparent's 50th anniversary cake.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

The Pillowman posted:

I meant to ask, I ordered some icingimage like you did Charmmi and looked through their instructions. I can't use an icingimage with ice cream cake can i?

I believe you can as long as the icing isn't rock hard.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I've added some of that hard shell ice cream topping to decorate pies before and it turned out well. You can drizzle it on top and while it's still liquid you can take a toothpick and make hash marks. Once you put it in the fridge it will harden up, giving a nice crunchy contrast to the pies.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the Cricut cake machine? I've been interested in it but I'm really not sure if I want to drop that much money on something.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

This was one of my tastiest cakes.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

clarabelle posted:

I LOVE this cake. I have a chocolate cake recipe that always turns out perfectly, but I'm getting a bit sick of doing plain chocolate icing. I presume you used a ganache for this one. Care to share the recipe?

The first time I tried ganache, it was a clumpy disaster (still tasted great, though). Basically, it's just heavy whipping cream with melted semi-sweet chips and you just add more cream to make it the right texture.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Putting frosting underneath also helps the fondant stick better. I've always used crisco shortening in my buttercream recipe instead of fighting with the butter. If I'm mostly doing it to practice with fondant, I end up just using canned frosting so i can concentrate more on decorating.

If you do go with the shortening, make sure your mixer can handle it. I ruined a brand new handmixer because I overestimated how tough the shortening was.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

madlilnerd posted:

Traditionally in England, we coat fondant cakes with apricot jam first to make it stick, so you could try that.

Yes, I always liked jam as a nice substitute. I've used strawberry before on a nice fruity cake and it was a big hit. Always make sure to flavor your fondant! Stick to the clear colors, but it really does wonders for its taste. Do about a tsp per pound and if it gets too sticky, add in a little more powdered sugar.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
The marshmallow fondant tastes pretty good already so I wouldn't really worry about flavoring that. They don't sell anything but the Wilton fondant around here, which tastes like the insole of a sweaty shoe. Flavoring also works like a glue if you need to stick something to fondant. I prefer this method over using water.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
On the subject of over-baking, I would always get frustrated about my cracked cake tops when I discovered that most recipes call for your oven to be too hot. If you cook for 300 or 325 degrees for a little bit longer, you will avoid that cracked top.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I'd like to share the method that I use of making fondant roses. I used to do it the Wilton method with the ball roller and foam, but they always came out super thick and really inconsistent.

Heres a video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzp3XfhUpQ4

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Bean posted:

My cake pans.
I had dishwashed them for most of their life. Pulled them out one day and this happened. They're Wilton pans. Are they not dishwasher safe? Is there any way to save this, or is it time to get new ones?

Now you have an excuse to get some of their new line of Ultra Gold pans! I think they just wear out after a while.
Are there any KY goons here? I found out Chef Duff from Ace of Cakes is coming and hosting a cake decorating competition.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Charmed City Cakes held a local cake competition today. This has been an absolutely crazy week, so I didn't get to work on them as long as I'd like.

This is my entry for the tiered division. It was white cake with peanut butter filling.

This is my entry for special occasion/holiday. It was white cake but I dyed the inside with blue swirls. The coral in this picture was melted white chocolate, but they ended up breaking on the way to the competition, so I made some replacements out of fondant.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
It's been too long since I posted!

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Tekopp, your cake looked amazing and any of us would be jealous to have it. She is probably just being a Bridezilla. I hate that you basically got screwed into a "friend" discount, but at least you have a very nice addition to your portfolio. I'd print out a picture and hang it up!

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Kitsch! posted:

Time for the age-old question: is it worth it to take the infamous Michael's Wilton cake decorating class? A friend is bugging me to take it since she doesn't want to do it alone. Basically it's $27 for the class (normally $45) plus the supplies they make you buy (~$21) for $48 total. I believe it's 4 sessions, around 2 hours each.

I took the classes and I believe they helped me a lot. I've heard that they aren't very useful in an actual bakery settings, but as a hobby the money is worth it. Plus, you'll end up using all the supplies anyways. Your cake is super cute, btw.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

I made two cake, and sadly the larger of the two bit the dust.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
3 cups self-rising flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup pureed strawberries, strained
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 large eggs, beaten

Source:
http://adashofsass.com/2009/03/01/homemade-strawberry-cake/

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

yoshesque posted:

Black forest heaven

You have no idea how bad I've been craving black forest cake lately, but I've never attempted one myself. It's gorgeous.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Black forest cake made with Lindt chocolate. I haven't bitten into it yet.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I've never stored fondant in the fridge, I've always heard that it "sweats". I've made decorations about a week in advance and just stored them at room temp out of the way and they've turned out fine.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Wilton Fondant can go directly to hell. At the last second, it decided to rip horribly and I had to cover the place up with the text. Sorry, the pictures are unedited. I don't really feel like messing with them right now.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Tell me if I'm making some grievous error, but I have been decorating for a few years now and I've let my cakes cool a tiny bit in the pan and then pop the whole thing in the freezer. I never had an issue with cake sticking to the pan this way and it always makes icing the crumb coat way easier. I know that it probably dries out the cake a little more, but I've never had an issue with it. With a cake stealing dog in the house, the freezer ended up being my only storage option.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I learned that I do better when I don't plan out the design beforehand and just kind of wing it. I suck at icing roses. Fondant is way easier.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This was a birthday cake for my husband. You're supposed to use halved maraschino cherries for the lights and apparently there was a huge cherry shortage or something because after ten different stores I settled on dyed marshmallows.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

That looks nice. How long did it take you to do all those stars?

It was actually the easiest and fastest cake I've ever done. It's just a bit monotonous and you have to keep attention to where the colors change.

That cherry stuff is deep.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This was my first cheesecake and it turned out delicious. It was Reeses flavor and I made the Batman symbol out of color flow icing.
Black Forest is my favorite

NarwhalParty fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

• Locked thread