Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I need some advice from the cake goons in this thread. I'm making a combination birthday cake for my boyfriend, my mom, and his father. We've been out of the country so we're going to celebrate all the birthdays when we get back.

I'm already positive I'm going to make a rich chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I also want to layer fresh cut strawberries on top. I'm just not sure what I should ice the cake with! I'd thought about chocolate ganache but it seems too chocolatey. I'd also thought about buttercream but it doesn't seem to fit with the flavor of the berries. I don't want to use fruity buttercream either. Does anyone have an idea? I'd like to make it with some sort of liquor if I could!

I've been told that the raspberry filling goes well with buttercream, but I don't want the cake to have a confused flavor with so many things on it.

To offer a counterpoint to all the beautifully decorated cakes in this thread, let me most my most recent (and delicious) ghetto trainwreck of a cake. I was on study abroad with my boyfriend when his 21st birthday rolled around. So I was all prepared to make him a cake. Sadly, I had to use store bought cake mix because I didn't speak Danish well enough to make it from scratch. I did make the icing though, in a loving bucket because I didn't have $50 USD to drop on a mixing bowl. Shits expensive there. It was chocolate coffee buttercream. The whole cake was loving delicious but it was a bitch to make. I had to melt the butter in a bowl on the floor in my heated bathroom because my stove was broken. And since I didn't have a piping bag I made my own and just piped some hard chocolate onto the top. My hearts came out floppy and my makeshift piping bag all around sucked. Hey, at least it was delicious!

And hey, while I'm asking. Does anyone have a good recipe for liquor filling? For a cake or candy, it's fine either way.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

cocoavalley posted:

I make chocolate/chocolate/raspberry cakes all of the time. I always worry that it's going to be too much, but it never is. I've used ganache and buttercream (sometimes both!) and either way is delicious. I'd say use ganache if you don't want it to be as sweet. I always use dark dutch processed cocoa and it works out great.

As far as liquor flavored fillings, you can usually get away with replacing the vanilla in a filling/frosting recipe with whatever flavored liquor you like.

If you do decide to go with a buttercream, wait until you are ready to serve it to put the sliced strawberries on it. The sugar in the buttercream will make the strawberries weep juice if allowed to sit for too long (learned from experience.) It tastes good but can look pretty bad.
Ganache does sound pretty good. I bet a little rum ganache would be delicious. My issue with my last batch of ganache was that the liquor flavor didn't come through. :smith: This time I'm going to be using soy cream or coconut milk instead of regular cream because too many of the people enjoying cake will be lactose intolerant.

I think I ate enough of that last cake that I'm done with buttercream for a little bit. Even the memory of how sweet it was makes my teeth hurt. GANACHE it is then.

And I'm for sure going to make some fresh vanilla coconut milk ice cream to go with it.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

frankdiabetes posted:

I made a rocking giraffe cake for my brother and sister in law's baby shower.

That cake is stupid awesome. It's sincerely badass.

My cake is not shaped like an adorable pony, but I think it's going to be delicious.

So, it's a dark chocolate cake with a pineapple-lemon filling AND raspberry/blackberry buttercream frosting. The accents are done in chocolate buttercream and the top is decorated with sheets of spun sugar and chocolate. The pictures make it look brown, but it is actually a dark pink cake.

Also, I really want to take those cake decorating classes. I may ask for it for Christmas.

Oh, and my silicone piping bag set from Fat Daddio is the best thing ever. EVER.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Semisponge posted:

You somehow took a picture that looks exactly like it was taken out of a 1967 women's magazine. I half expect it to be made out of bread and meat puree and peanut butter or something similarly horrifying.

Yeah. The "lighting" in my kitchen made it look really really gross. In person, it is pink not...weird salmon brown. But hey, at least it looks like it could be in a magazine! Even if it's one for meat cake...

But I got a lot of compliments on it, both from looks and taste so I'm feeling good.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Tendai posted:

So I'm bucking the pie tradition this Thanksgiving and making a cake, with the caveat from my mother that it has to be pumpkin. I've found a few good-sounding recipes but wondered if anyone had a killer pumpkin cake recipe that they'd recommend.

I'm also making a pumpkin cake this year! I love me some yogurt cakes, so I'm making this cake! If you want a little kick, stick to the cayenne but I've got family who can't handle spicy foods and am replacing the cayenne in this recipe with equal parts of ground clove and curry spice. I think it will do nicely.

I also think the original recipe came from this thread at one point...

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Those chlamydia are adorable!

This is an old picture because it was on the laptop at my parents house, but my cake for thanksgiving! It was a curry spiced pumpkin cake with rum buttercream. If I did it again I'd try for a less sweet icing, this time around it was too sweet with the cake.

The icing isn't as perfect as I'd have liked, it needed more confectioners sugar to make it more firm, but it was already too sweet so I had to just handle it. I like making spun sugar (even though I burned the poo poo out of myself doing it) and I thought it made the cake look great!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

tekopp posted:

Wonderful things.

I am so going to do this next thanksgiving, this is the perfect fall dessert!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Unsure if it strictly counts as a cake, but I made my first Pavlova ever for easter lunch. It turned out really well but it was especially hard to cut and serve, the whipped cream was sliding all over the place.

But it was very pretty until we tried to cut it. It tasted delicious even squashed though.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

It wasn't goopy or falling apart until we cut into it to serve, and then it just completely fell apart. I did make the rim of the meringue high to keep it all in and that worked well, but it was impossible to cut cake slices because poo poo just started falling all over the place.

I made the whipped cream myself, so maybe next time I should make it thicker if possible, so it would have the consistency of store-bought whipped cream. Any ideas on making whipped cream thick but not overwhipped?

I'm also considering making small, personalized pavlovas so it just falls apart on your plate.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I made a chess cake for my boyfriend's birthday a few days ago. The chess pieces were molded from white and dark chocolate. The cake itself was a black magic cake with raspberry/blackberry filling and topped with vanilla and chocolate buttercream.

It was and still is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Since this has kind of become the catch-all dessert thread, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good recipe for beignets that they have tried out themselves.

• Locked thread