Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Some amazing cakes posted here, really makes me feel rather inadequate considering how often I bake stuff.

Here's a thing I did a while back. First time attempting piping of flowers and general decorating-ness.

Actually my brother did the majority of the roses :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Happy Australia day cupcakes! Devil's food cake with a white meringue frosting. Not necessarily Australian-themed, but I take whatever opputunity I can to bake, as nobody in my household actually likes eating cakes/sweet things, but I just like baking stuff :( This is a really poo photo and I will probably do a proper photoshoot sometime later.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Susical posted:

I'm making cupcakes for a party tonight, and my boyfriend gave me a box of Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Fudge cake mix. Instead of adding oil to the mix with eggs and water, you add a softened stick of butter. I don't have any butter on hand, can I just use oil in place of the butter? Do I need to adjust the amount of eggs and water?

I have a box of white cake that uses oil, can I just use the same amounts on that box?

Oil is more liquid and will mess with the consistency of the batter. I've never substituted oil for butter and I'm not too sure it'll work.

clarabelle posted:

I have to bake a chocolate cake for a birthday and the recipe I'm using for the filling is a combination of double cream and dark chocolate. I'm a little worried that the filling might wind up a little too bitter, is it ok to use half dark and half milk chocolate?

I do this all the time. Adjust to your liking. I tend to do a 3:1 mix of dark to milk.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Passionfruit and milk chocolate macarons. I love making these, unfortunately :(

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Nagelfar posted:

These are so cute I want to hug and cuddle them before eating. Macarons were never the craze here in Europe, are they really that hard to get right as some say?

Yes. These bastards are the most finicky pastry I've tried making. And even though those ones look good, there's some issues with holey shells, not that it affects the taste, it's just a nitpicky thing. Despite all their troubles it is a lot of fun to think up of new flavours :)

RazorBunny posted:

They kind of look like little hamburgers :3:

Luxemburgerli look more like burgers to me, but I see where you're coming from :3:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Freckles posted:

Baking goons in Australia: where can I find cake flour? I've looked in several different stores, and all I've seen is plain flour and self-raising flour. Some places seem to carry bread flour too, but is there such a thing as cake flour here, or do I just need to use plain flour?

You can get it at a decently-stocked Coles or Woolworths. I think it's the Lighthouse brand.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Made some black forest cake. It's the first time I've really worked with chocolate and it was a spectacular failure. Next time I'd use darker chocolate for the curls and make a chocolate whipped cream as opposed to whipped ganache.

Other than that, it's okay :3:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pragmatica posted:

I did a fun 2 tier for a baby shower today. They wanted something simple, classic, and girly. The layers are filled with bright pink icing as well. :3:

Wow, what is your frosting? Is it just a regular buttercream?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

yoshesque posted:

Made some black forest cake. It's the first time I've really worked with chocolate and it was a spectacular failure. Next time I'd use darker chocolate for the curls and make a chocolate whipped cream as opposed to whipped ganache.

Other than that, it's okay :3:

I tried making it again:

I made it for my boyfriend's graduation and didn't have time to photograph it before eating, hence the half-eaten cake. Only gripe with this one is that maybe next time I'll try tempering the chocolate for the curls.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I made a cake:

Kind of a ferrer rocher inspired cake. I wasn't able to add hazelnuts or wafer as I had to make this a day in advance, fly interstate for a job interview, then come back for the party. So I was a bit rushed. Didn't really matter anyway as most people didn't have a slice. :(

Also because there were pregnant women eating this I didn't brush the layers with frangelico. Cake would've been pretty awesome if I did though. Veeeery chocolatey, not enough hazelnut flavour. Super rich, too, which is why thin slices only.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I've always shaped my pavlovas with a slight depression for the cream. It's not like anyone is going to see it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Dobos torte for my birthday. Considering this was my first try, it wasn't bad at all.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I think I'm just a snob when it comes to cakes. It was my brother's birthday last week and we bought a cake, which was the most disappointing cake I've had. I'd prefer to be able to make a cake I've never done before and know it's going to be good rather than buying a cake of questionable quality. Plus I take all opportunities to bake, so birthdays usually are a must for me.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

cocoavalley posted:

I've always wanted to try making one of these, it looks great! Any particular recipe I should file away?

I feel the same about store-bought cakes. The big-deal grocery store where I'm from (Wegmans) has this 'Ultimate Chocolate Cake' that they went on and on about when they first came out with it and it's relatively expensive. My mom got a coupon for a free one and it was pretty 'meh'. Our go-to chocolate cake is just the Hershey's old-fashioned recipe and it runs circles around the Wegmans one. Though I suppose if you are used to box cakes a store bought homemade cake would be a big deal.

No recipe in particular, I just kinda mashed a load of recipes together. Traditionally a dobos torte is supposed to be made with a sponge, but I used the smitten kitchen best birthday cake recipe. I made a full batch of it and the cake was a lot taller than I would've liked (for a 9-inch round), so I'd suggest making a two-thirds batch if you're going to use that. The frosting I used is just a chocolate italian meringue buttercream, and I added a load of hazelnut spread to my frosting for additional hazelnut flavour. If I were to do this again I'd probably also add some hazelnut liqueur to the layers.

For baking the layers, it's a simple affair of tracing a circle on some baking paper and measuring out approximately the same amount of cake batter for each layer. It's definitely the kind of cake you don't want to make if you're in a hurry. Oh, and finally for the toffee-coated cake layer, you want a cake layer that's as thin as possible. For some good tips on constructing the cake, I used this as a guide.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Some thing with raspberry curd and rose-scented buttercream.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a yellow cake recipe? The one I used here is just awful.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I made a cake:

I was experimenting with flavours and tried a honey-jasmine cake. It didn't really taste like either, unfortunately, but it was still a good cake! My writing sucks though.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

My brother volunteers at an art gallery and they're having a video games exhibition tonight. While it was originally my brother's idea to make pixel cakes for the event, I took it over:

Just mini chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Marshmallow fondant squares for the pixels. It was probably staying up late until 3 to finish this but I'm pretty happy with this!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Mother's day cake! Lychee rosewater mousse with raspberries and white chocolate. I screwed up the white chocolate ganache that I'd planned on covering the cake with so I had to cover my shame up with flowers and chocolate.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

B-day cake for a guest at work today.
Lemon cake, lemon curd, Italian butter cream, white chocolate mirror glaze

What's your recipe for the white chocolate glaze? Is it similar to the chocolate one you posted earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

White chocolate mirror glaze

85g cream
20g water
15g corn syrup
130g melted white chocolate
2g gelatin
12g neutral oil