Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
Hooray, there's a baking thread! Hopefully you don't mind if I share this rather derpy looking dinosaur cake that I made for my boyfriend's nephew's birthday. He was over the moon with it, apparently. I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out but I don't think it's bad for my first attempt at something like this...:ohdear:

Only the body is cake, the legs/head/neck/tail are solid fondant. I had thought there'd be enough cake left over from trimming the body to make legs etc, but there wasn't. The rocks and leaves for the nest are fondant too and the eggs are chocolate mini eggs. A surprisingly large amount of the time making it was spent on arguing about whether dinosaurs made nests and if so what the nests might look like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
That truck is awesome.

I made beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees:

Sadly the yellow food colouring turned out to taste kind of...odd, which spoilt my tasty caramel buttercream icing a bit. Apparently the colourant is lutein, which is a plant pigment and allegedly important for the health of your eyesight so even if the cakes do taste a little strange, they're now effectively a health food. Only one bee has a smile cos I felt the smile made them look far too derpy, though I have some icing left so I may put smiles on them later. I'm not sure I'm entirely pleased with how they turned out, they feel like they could be(e) better somehow. Hopefully the recipient will like them though!

radioaktivitat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2012

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Those are cute. A mix of smile, frowns and Os could work. I think what they're missing is wings. Is there something you could stick in at diagonals for wings? Maybe banana chips? Probably too thick. Big dried coconut flakes? Or just some white frosting teardrops for wings.
Thanks! I've got a lot of fondant left from making the stingers and eyes so maybe teardrop shapes cut out from that would work? Kitten Kisses, your photoshop has convinced me to add various smiles/frowns/Os!

I really need a decent piping bag/nozzle set if I'm going to attempt more things like the bee army; I've got a cheap plastic one but frankly it's rubbish. Any brands I should look out for/specific sets anyone could recommend? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
Now with wings and added derp:

Teardrop shapes proved a bit tricky to cut out consistently so in the end I used a piping nozzle as a round cutter and then just cut the icing circles in half. The wings are definitely an improvement, I think.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

PezMaster posted:

Made my first yeast cake. Honey, almond, and anise, based on the Game of Thrones cooking website, Inn at the Crossroads. I had to actually make it twice - I've always had a problem with yeast not rising enough because of this or that. The second time I played around with the original recipe and it came out lovely. This is how I adapted the original recipe, if you're interested. If you haven't tried a yeast cake before, I'd definitely recommend it.
Those look delicious! I've been experimenting with making bread recently so haven't had much time for cakes, but I might have a crack at these. In a similar vein, I made these for a Europe-themed party: http://www.gadling.com/2013/02/11/classic-scandinavia-celebrate-fat-tuesday-with-swedish-semlor/ and they were super-tasty, even if mine were a lot...blobbier than the perfectly round one pictured with the recipe. If you like cardamom I'd definitely give them a try - the only change I made was to add some powdered sugar to the filling as I wanted them to be a bit more of a dessert, so I felt they needed a bit of extra sweetness.
I've found that for most bread/yeast cake recipes I've tried it seems best to ignore the recommended time for the first rise and just leave it until it seems like it's done rising - you definitely want the dough to at least double in size, and I've found this often seems to take a couple of hours at least. 30 minutes seems about right for the second rise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
The Great British Bakeoff started this week and the first round was CAKES. UK folks can catch it on the iPlayer here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01db80r/The_Great_British_Bake_Off_Series_4_Cake/ and non-UK folks can see it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkRFt5Kq2NE.
There are some epic disasters on the angel food cake technical challenge, and some fantastic cakes for the showstoppers. Given that all the contestants are amateurs who (generally) have a full time job, it's really impressive how high a standard some of them hit with their decoration skills. While I can turn out something tasty, it does tend to look a bit like it's been decorated by a toddler.

Some of the recipes from the episode are here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/p01db80r - I had a go at the grapefruit sandwich one of the contestants made and it seems to have come out OK despite my grapefruit curd being a tad on the dense side. I will report back when it gets eaten tomorrow! The BBC Food site does have the recipes from every series and they tend to be pretty good.

• Locked thread