Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
My sister and I were trying to make icing using this recipe http://southernfood.about.com/od/icingrecipes/r/bl30222l.htm

And, well, it's not coming together at all. We're probably going to give up on it, but got any suggestions to make it actually work if we try it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I think it is supposed to be a glaze (at least, that's why we picked it), but it's more like the butter isn't melding with the milk? Which is especially odd, but there are still yellow patches and we were at it for half an hour.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

PezMaster posted:

Usually, you start with room temperature butter, fluff it with your mixer and add a bit of the confectioner's sugar. Then add the milk (also slightly warmed) and extract, then slowly add the rest of the confectioner's sugar. Maybe your butter was too cold?

Seriously, if you just want a glaze, don't bother with the butter. Just add flavour (lemon juice or a bit of cocoa powder, etc), a bit of milk and confectioner's sugar until it nicely covers the back of a spoon. Add more milk (or water) if you need to thin it out. I don't think I've ever used butter in a glaze? Unless it was melted completely.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think the butter temperature may have been it. Next time we'll give the sans-butter route a go - she'll certainly appreciate the lack of butter after this!

• Locked thread