Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Hah, we celebrated Tuesday with a cake of the same idea. I rushed (running between rooms to check the television as states were being called) so did not really smooth out the cake and this is my first time using fondant but I think the idea came through enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
We had a Easter potluck at work, I did cupcakes too!

Carrot cake and chocolate. The icing on both is an Italian meringue buttercream in which I replaced half the butter with cream cheese. Worked great!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
It's colored sugar. You can buy it or just shake some regular granulated sugar in a jar with a couple drops of food coloring.

The piping was actually pretty simple. The keys are to not overfill your piping bag. I've done that in the past and so couldn't apply even pressure because I kept squeezing icing out the top. I used a 1M tip and did this: http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

I feel for you on the small kitchen. My kitchen is only 4.5 ft x 6.5 ft of floor space and 4-5 square feet of counter space that isn't taken up by appliances or pantry ingredients. I had stools balancing cooling racks and muffin tins baking for the work party, was pretty precarious. If I was baking that many cupcakes I think I'd temporarily put away some of my appliances and box up my jars of sauces and stuff to make some extra counter space!

mich
Feb 28, 2003

tekopp posted:

A cookie cutter would have made it a hell of a lot easier. I think I need one to. I shaped those by hand, it took for ever. And I made over 60 cookies D:

I once had an occasion where I made a bunch of cookies shaped like lips. I wasn't going to buy a cookie cutter just for that and didn't have time to order one anyway since I figured I wouldn't be able to find one in a local store. I cut out a strip of poster board and shaped and taped it into a lip shape. Worked great, it was durable enough to last the batch of cookies. I imagine if you wanted something longer lasting you could buy one of those disposable baking sheets/roasting pans and cut that out to make a custom cookie cutter.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I made this from Cook's Illustrated for a friend's birthday, it was really good:

For this recipe, we prefer to use a 9-inch cake pan with sides that are at least 2 inches high. Alternatively, a 10-inch ovensafe skillet (cast iron or stainless steel) can be used to both cook the pineapple and bake the cake. If using a skillet instead of a cake pan, cool the juices directly in the skillet while making the batter; it's OK if the skillet is warm when the batter is added.

Pineapple Topping
1 medium fresh pineapple (about 4 pounds), prepared according to illustrations below (about 4 cups prepared fruit) [diced into 1/2 inch pieces]
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (7 ounces)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cake
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), softened but still cool
3/4 cup granulated sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 egg white at room temperature
1/3 cup whole milk at room temperature

Instructions

1. Lightly spray 9-inch round, 2-inch deep cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2. For the pineapple topping: Combine pineapple and brown sugar in 10-inch skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally during first 5 minutes, until pineapple is translucent and has light brown hue, 15 to 18 minutes. Empty fruit and juices into mesh strainer or colander set over medium bowl. Return juices to skillet, leaving pineapple in strainer (you should have about 2 cups cooked fruit). Simmer juices over medium heat until thickened, beginning to darken, and mixture forms large bubbles, 6 to 8 minutes, adding any more juices released by fruit to skillet after about 4 minutes. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla; pour caramel mixture into prepared cake pan. Set aside while preparing cake. (Pineapple will continue to release liquid as it sits; do not add this liquid to already-reduced juice mixture.)

3. For the cake: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

4. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with flat beater, cream butter and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, add vanilla, and beat to combine; one at a time, add whole eggs then egg white, beating well and scraping down bowl after each addition. Reduce speed to low; add about one-third of flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Add half of milk and beat until incorporated; repeat, adding half of remaining flour mixture and remaining milk, and finish with remaining flour. Give final stir with rubber spatula, scraping bottom and sides of bowl to ensure that batter is combined. Batter will be thick.

5. To bake: Working quickly, distribute cooked pineapple in cake pan in even layer, gently pressing fruit into caramel. Using rubber spatula, drop mounds of batter over fruit, then spread batter over fruit and to sides of pan. Tap pan lightly against work surface to release any air bubbles. Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack, then place inverted serving platter over cake pan. Invert cake pan and platter together; lift off cake pan. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours; then cut into pieces and serve.

mich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 14, 2010

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Holy poo poo, frankdiabetes, that is loving incredible.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I just don't understand how a cake pop, even a "good" one can be as satisfying as a slice of cake. I can see yours are bigger but they're still not the size of a piece of cake. The icing/decorative stuff to cake ratio is much larger even in your cake pops than in a good slice of cake. So they're cute but just seem pointless to me in lieu of a good actual cake.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I don't have problems with homemade marshmallows sweating and I keep them in airtight containers. If I left them open they would dry out.

Basic recipe I use is:

Mix:

4 envelopes plain gelatin (a box of Knox)
3/4 cup water (can replace some of this with other flavoring like a fruit puree)
2 tsp extract (whatever you are flavoring with)

Syrup:

650 grams sugar
250 grams corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook syrup to 240, beat into the gelatin mixture, and whip about 10 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, let set for 8-12 hours. Cut and generously coat them with a mixture of half powdered sugar, half starch (I usually use potato starch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Third Murderer posted:

I made a basic yellow cake with a strawberry filling and chocolate icing a few weeks ago for my mother's birthday. Not a very exciting combination, but it turned out wonderfully. I don't have any pictures worth showing, though, because I am absolutely terrible at decorating cakes, and the finished cake was just a boring brown cylinder. Any suggestions on learning some basic decorating skills? There is a Michaels near me that has some cake decorating classes coming up, are those worth it at all?

This is a free class on craftsy that goes over the basics of doing a cake. It includes putting a tiered cake together but even if you're doing only one tier, the process of leveling, torting, trimming is useful because a flat cake gives you a nice surface to decorate on. Then it goes over the icing process, with crumb coat and final coat. I found it really useful for going through the basic process:

http://www.craftsy.com/class/modern-buttercream/110?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-qbb&_ctp=110,3

I think one of the easier ways to make a cake look nice is to do some sort of buttercream stripe or ruffle, especially one that has more of a rustic look because then you don't have to do it perfectly. As already mentioned you can find a lot on youtube.

Here's one on rustic buttercream effects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9HFlNnlbU

Piping with a ribbon tip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BdP2tobeQ

And just search around, there's tons of stuff on there.

• Locked thread