Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
I'd been on a cupcake kick lately...

Pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting

Double chocolate cake with chocolate sour cream frosting. Poor H:(

And a coconut cake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

exactduckwoman posted:

I love all these cakes, especially the Dr. Seuss one, and I'd LOVE to see a recipe for those pumpkin cupcakes.

I used the recipe from Martha Stewart.com. They came out similar to a pumpkin muffin recipe that I have and not light like a cupcake. I think this is probably due to the texture of the pumpkin added and can't be overcome. But if someone has another fluffy recipe let me know!

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Then topped them with this
* 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/4 C (half stick) butter, room temperature
* 1 t vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
* 1 t cinnamon (add more to taste)
* 2-3 C powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)

1. Mix cream cheese and butter well.
2. Add vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Add powdered sugar.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Pooptron2003 posted:

I have not made a ganache yet. Is it usually a runny consistency? If this is true then the filling layers would be thin correct? I want to try some with the next cake I make. I can't wait.

You can make it as thick or thin as you want. Thin stuff is great for pouring over cakes for a smooth shiny icing or the thick stuff can be used to frost and fill layers.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

I've never heard of these before but Wikipedia says they can be made flat by doing the layering/baking thing in a normal cake pan.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Elfriede Shrempf posted:

It was my first time making whipped cream and my first layered cake too.

I just wanted to say that this was an awesome outcome for a first layered cake!

I was invited to a dinner on saturday and wanted to make a seasonal dessert but didn't want to do pie or something with traditional spices (cinnamon, ginger, etc) so soon after thanksgiving.
So, I ended up making Apple cranberry kuchen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Thanks!

Lixer posted:

I used the recipe from Martha Stewart.com. They came out similar to a pumpkin muffin recipe that I have and not light like a cupcake. I think this is probably due to the texture of the pumpkin added and can't be overcome. But if someone has another fluffy recipe let me know!

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Then topped them with this
* 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/4 C (half stick) butter, room temperature
* 1 t vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
* 1 t cinnamon (add more to taste)
* 2-3 C powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)

1. Mix cream cheese and butter well.
2. Add vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Add powdered sugar.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Rubber Nugget posted:

-I want to make some drumsticks

In addition to the good advice above, I may suggest just buying some drumsticks. Otherwise dyed white modeling chocolate around a dowel would work.

Yeah, fondant is pretty gross in general but the homemade (with marshmallows) is better than store bought.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

I don't know. You'd think someone somewhere would come up with a package-able GOOD tasting fondant because the marshmallow recipe takes forever and is hard to get the consistency just right at home.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

PezMaster posted:

Been a little cupcake crazy lately:

Tiramisu - So. Much. Kahlua.

Ohhh! Do you have the recipe for this?

Apologies if I've posted this before, but I couldn't find it ITT.

An acquaintance asked me to cater a Hawaiian themed wedding for 80 and since this is a cake thread... My first wedding cake! It's coconut with a lime/cream cheese filling and standard 7-minute whipped frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

jennyinstereo posted:

I'll most likely make all fillings, frosting, cake layers etc and bring them with me in coolers. The only thing I'm nervous about is transporting the cake and assembling it at the hall. Even if I assemble it beforehand, I'm nervous about transporting a stacked cake. I'm not worried about it tipping over or anything. I'm worried that somehow, I'll dent the sides of the cake and have to re-smooth the buttercream at the hall.

Or, if I assemble at the hall, I worry that I'll do a bad job of stacking the layers and that it will be a huge ugly mess. Oh the joys of making a wedding cake for your twin sister! I will definitely document it though!

Transport the layers separately. Transporting the wedding cake I made (above) for 38 miles through the Texas hill country in the summer was the most stressful thing I've ever done... then I had to put it together at the venue! Glad I got them to choose coconut cake though so the coconut hid most imperfections.

Psychobabble has it right. Prepare the cake layers as much as you can and transport them frozen in their pans. Get a friend to help you stack the cake. Have all of the dowels cut ahead of time for each of the layers. Don't know the decorations of the cake are but make extra and use them to hide bumps or smudges. Good luck!

• Locked thread