Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
A history of cakes-

My first cake, I was like thirteenish-

A friend's birthday cake circa age 17-

And most recently a friend's wedding cake (age 20)-

EDIT: I had a visitor drop in while making that last one-

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It should be simple enough. I would use 3 9" rounds split & filled. That's plenty for 15 people and it should stack up to look enough like a snare. Fondant in and of itself isn't that fantastic tasting (I'm speaking of true fondant, I've never tried those marshmallow/other random melted candy "fondants") but it will give you a nice looking end product.

When it comes to storage, you have a few things to think about. What type of filing are you using, what type of fondant are you using, what type of cake you are using, what temperature will the cake be in etc. etc. etc. If you were using a very dense cake with royal icing and true fondant you're shelf life at room temperature would be much, much longer than if you're using a butter cake with true buttercream and some other type of fondant. In general however you can bake your cake whenever, wrap them tightly and freeze until you need them, it's what the pros do. If you give us an idea of what the interior of the cake will be we can provide a more exact time frame of it's shelf life.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I hate to nit-pick, but neither are fondant. The first is a softer type of modeling chocolate and the second, well I'm not quite sure what it is. The fact that it doesn't say anywhere on its website bothers me somewhat.

But to add some actual advice about the snare drum, please, please make sure you get your base coat of icing smooth, your layers perfectly level and make sure before you apply your fondant that you have a perfect looking cake. Every single minor imperfection will be magnified x10 once it's been covered.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
The first one listed is modeling chocolate, the second, I'm not sure what it is. They just say icing without telling what it's made of, but it's not traditional.

Edit- I'd just like to point out that when I say traditional, I mean traditional. As in classic fondant. I really dislike the look of fondant covered cakes so I don't work with fondant. My limited experience is with true, real, authentic, classical fondant. The kind of stuff you can't really buy unless you search far and wide for it. I'm not saying it's better or anything just that I have only worked with real fondant.

Even though I strongly dislike it, I do enjoy making real fondant.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 11, 2009

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

I uh...don't know what you mean, still. There's two types of fondant, did you mean the poured kind? That's like the same that's inside those Cadbury eggs (which I don't like, but that's just me). Then there is rolled fondant, which is, obviously, the type that's rolled onto cakes and such. I don't understand how Satin Ice is not "real fondant" because from what I've known of it, it's regular old rolling fondant. Did you mean it's not the poured stuff and therefore not "real"?

No, I mean classic fondant, a sugar syrup that has been manually worked to cause it to crystallize in a certain way yielding a malleable white dough made of pure sugar. The amount of crystallization and water content are what determine weather it's pourable or malleable. It doesn't contain the fat and other additives that are in other "fondants."

And to Tomkat, my method follows-

Secure your cake to a cardboard round and ice as needed
Position a large sheet tray on your workspace (a large sheet of parchment works as well)
Balance the cake on your weak hand and use your dominant hand to apply the decorations
Take a handful of the items and put the edge of your palm to the bottom edge of the cake and angle your hand up to adhere the dec.
Allow the remainder to fall back onto the sheet
Repeat until beautiful

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

nordicnerd posted:

I'll post pictures if it actually works.) Have any of you worked with sugar pulling/blowing/spinning?
Spun sugar is very different than blowing and pulling. It's pretty foolproof and between blowing and pulling, blowing is very, very, very difficult and takes some specialized equipment to create anything. A sugar shelf, heat gun, torches, air cans, pipes, specialized shaping utensils, etc. Pulling is pretty simple, though you still need a sugar shelf (the box with heat lamps used to hold the sugar at a workable temp) but it's a much simpler process of working it. What exactly is your idea, I might be able to offer some advice.

Either way, be extremely careful, have a bowl of ice water handy as well as pastry brushes, candy thermometer, silpat. Do your research, I doubt that you'll get any variety of color that will show up in caramel though.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

jennyinstereo posted:

I've been asked to make my sister's wedding cake. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time. My sister lives 500 miles away and I'm only getting there in early morning, the day of the wedding. I have to attend the courthouse ceremony in the morning and the reception at 6pm in the evening. Sometime between all that, I have to make her a wedding cake :suicide:

Think I can get away with transporting my cake layers on the 500 mile trip with me? It would save me a LOT of time and I could just make the buttercream and fillings there and assemble in between the ceremony and reception... I would transport them double wrapped in plastic wrap and in a cooler.

Everything needs to be made ahead. Buttercream and the cakes can be made ahead and frozen and the filling might be able to as well depending on what you use. I would even go as far as trimming and splitting your layers ahead of time as well. You'll be lucky to find half an hour to finish so you need to be as mised as possible.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
The quickest, most painless thing to do is go to a bakery and ask to purchase a couple clean sheetcakes. You should be able to get them for <$10. The easiest filling would be simply to make an excellent dark chocolate buttercream and spike it with a little chile and cinnamon. Find a stable base, build/carve/fill your cake. I would just use a fork and flip up some of the frosting to give it a prickly look if you're in that big of a rush.

E-actually don't use buttercream, but keep the flavor profile.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2010

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
If your "buttercream" is made with powdered sugar, then just add a bit more until you get the consistency you need.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Susan Calvin posted:

Saw this on tumblr, thought of this thread:

Best cupcake ever.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

TheUglyWingman posted:

Preface: I'm no expert on cakes D:

I made some really nice sumatra coffee mead, that retained a lot of the honey qualities and sweetness. Can anyone recommend me a way to produce a cake with that, be it in the batter or in the icing?
I would try reducing it down and then using it as the base of a simple syrup that you then use to make an Italian buttercream. Something like this one- http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/italian-buttercream/Detail.aspx

E- also using some of the reduced syrup to brush on the layers after baking.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Do that! That sounds perfect.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I am going to venture a guess that you simply underbaked it. Everything was light and fluffy and risen but then you pulled it before it had a chance to set up.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Hey cake thread. This was for a friends birthday, spice cake, caramel buttercream, chocolate and fondant decorations.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Kimitsu posted:

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think the butter temperature may have been it. Next time we'll give the sans-butter route a go - she'll certainly appreciate the lack of butter after this!

If you still have the glaze, you can just microwave the whole thing. The butter will melt out and you can stir it smooth.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

clarabelle posted:

Just made a coffee cake, but the only instant coffee I had is very mild and I don't think it's going to taste a whole lot like coffee. I need the coffee buttercream to be a little less thick than normal as I need to be able to stick chocolate shavings to it, would adding some baileys to the buttercream mix be the right way to go?

Well if you want the buttercream to taste like coffee, then no, Bailey's would not be the right way to go. Kahlua might be, but you would be better off with espresso. Although I should mention the thickness of your buttercream has no bearing on weather or not it will hold chocolate shavings.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I lack the forms to make them like that so I used silicon cup cake forms instead. I also didn't get it as dark as they are meant to be. The reason for this I am pretty sure was my choice of bread crumbs, based on other recipes I shall make my own next year, made in part from crushed ginger biscuits.

No, it's just that the silicone molds prevent baked goods from getting good color.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It actually wouldn't be all that difficult to stack your cakes and then trim them down just a little bit to get a classic pot shape. Then just cover it with black fondant and cover the top with foil wrapped chocolate coins and perhaps a handle.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah, bake it longer so everything has a chance to set.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Chill it before using it. If its still too loose beat in a few tablespoons of powdered sugar until it tightens up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Anyone have any good Butter-cream recipes? I've been making one from GlobalSugarArt but it just doesn't taste right to me, my mom loves it however. The yellow cake recipe he has is fantastic though.

Make a Swiss buttercream. Pretty easy and always delicious. Most recipes online will be the same ratio but Martha Stewart never steered me wrong.

• Locked thread