Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Delicious lemony giant cupcake goodness:

and my old over the hill skull almond cake:

Next step: Death Metal Teddy Bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
The giant cupcake pans took one normal "cake" recipe each, or if you were to use one box of mix... I think. I was drinking a lot of wine that night so I'm not 100% on that Ahahahaaa. Also you assemble them because you bake them in two pieces. I had to cut some cake out to make the pieces smooth.

I had a minor problem with the bottom portions creasing inward near the base, but I imagine this is luck of the draw as cakes aren't usually shaped like giant cupcakes.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

foogrrl posted:

And my Course 3. The roses are a mix of fondant and gumpaste, and the cake itself is covered in fondant. Techincally, it's styrofoam dummies, as I wanted to keep this one as a display piece. There's no way I could get a real cake so level.

Great looking cake!

Question:
How do you mix fondant and gum paste? I have only ever tried working with fondant once, for the skull cake above. What exactly IS gum paste and why would you mix it with fondant? I always imagined it as some chewy clay-like stuff. My main problem when I worked with the fondant was that I couldnt "close" seams; it wouldn't mold into itself like clay and make a smooth joint. Does gum paste fix this? I don't really have the funds to take a class so I'm trying to learn as much as possible on my own.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Fight Club posted:

Okay, I finally got around to using those flowers I made in Course 2.

Made for a friend's daughter who's been sick. Nothing makes you feel better than chocolate cake with chocolate filling!

Basketweave shot:

My favorite flowers:

Ok, with these little yellow and purple flowers, do you paint the black marks on them after they dry using gel coloring? I usually thin mine down with vodka first...

Also also, the butterfly... made with royal icing on parchment/wax paper then peeled off? I'm just now getting into doing chocolate decorations like that and I wonder if the techniques are similar.

Thanks!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I made a boredom cake last night. The problem with me and cakes is I don't usually start them until 9:00pm then by the time I'm getting ready to finish the decorations I get really lazy (and usually have three glasses of wine in me). I almost tried the "paper towel" method.... but it was late and I didn't feel like re-icing if I screwed it up. Regardless I think I got a pretty sweet Dr. Seuss-ish cake!

(I drizzled some Cointreau in between the cake layers for some delicious adult goodness. It was a lemon/vanilla cake).

The work vultures finished it off in about 20 minutes... and it was a big rear end cake!

I still need to learn how to use the tips properly; I haven't tried messing with them yet.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll have to look into that color flow stuff (how's the taste?). I have yet to really try my hands at royal icing, but I love painting so maybe there will be some help there?

polarbear_terrorist posted:

Also, Pooptron2003, amazing Dr.Seuss cake. It made me jump up from my reclined position, just to get a better look. How did you get your cake color to look so rich?

Thanks! I use a TON of gel color... probably more than I should, but I'm never satisfied until it's super colored.

Question: Anyone have any good ideas for food color other than AmeriColor and Wilton? I find the AmeriColor don't look ANYTHING like the color they say they will look like on their top, so it's always a crap shoot what color I will really get.

I want some good NEON colors dammit! :black101:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Thanks youz!^^^ (next time greens)

mentos posted:

This is my first try. Caillou cake for my daughter's Bday!

Whipped cream icing? It's adorable. I want a bald man cake too.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

foogrrl posted:

I have a fair bit of Cake Craft colors - it's what my local(ish) shop stocks, besides the Wilton. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone other than AmeriColor making a neon line of dyes. I've never worked with the brand, but I know about the crap shoot concept. What kinds of things are you trying to do? Maybe we can find a way to work around the wackiness that is food dye.

Cake craft? I'll have to try them out too... I usually am limited by what I find online/craft stores. I get too excited and usually use a big glob before really knowing what it will look like. It's like buying lipstick online: the picture doesn't look like what you'll get.

Question for most people that posted pics here... how do I get my icing to look shiny? Some examples of "shiny" are the pokemon cakes and fight club's pink decorative border. My buttercream sure tastes freaking lovely... but I find it's lacking in the shine department. Should I use shortening instead of butter? (I hate doing that because I KNOW I'm eating uncooked shortening and it bothers me for some reason)

thanks!

I always worry about thinning down my buttercream too much, I hope that's not how to do it!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Drum posted:

Hoo boy, so very "Change! :buddy:"

Hahahaa, love it.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Russes Sister posted:

Cognac is my favorite flavoring for ganache. It gives it that little bit of complex flavor without being too overpowering, as long as you only use a tablespoon or so.

Also, ganache is faster if you simmer the cream, then pour it hot into a food processor and blend the chips in using a low setting.

I have not made a ganache yet. Is it usually a runny consistency? If this is true then the filling layers would be thin correct? I want to try some with the next cake I make. I can't wait.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Lixer posted:

You can make it as thick or thin as you want. Thin stuff is great for pouring over cakes for a smooth shiny icing or the thick stuff can be used to frost and fill layers.

So I would just increase the thickness by adding more chocolate right? Mmm, that shouldn't be a problem.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I kept thinking, "Why would anyone want to eat tissue boxes???" So confused. Maybe if they were holding CANDY we could talk...

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Made some pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting last night. They're not the prettiest, but my god are they tasty and moist! Pumpkin is wonderful.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

chuchumeister posted:

Do cake-shaped non-pastry items count?
My boyfriend doesn't like sweets, so for his birthday last weekend, I made him a meatcake (with meatloaf) and decorated it to look like Captain America's shield. The "frosting" and filling are all mashed potatoes (red and blue bits are dyed).

My (girl) roommates were horrified, but he and his friends loved it.

I think it's wonderful! Ahahaha, a little WTF, but fun.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Demagogue posted:

GIVE ME YOUR FROSTING RECIPE

(pretty please)

Surely! I usually use a loose recipe then add more varying ingredients until I'm happy with it.

I think I used this one:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Then I added a poo poo LOAD of cinnamon. Seriously, I loaded those babies up.
I also added some orange gel color and a smidge more vanilla.

Most of the time I don't even use recipes for frosting... but It had been a while since I made cream cheese frosting so I had to.

I usually end up making too much because I keep adding things until I think it's right... by then I have downed so much frosting I never want to see it ever again.

(I always come around though)

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I just remembered my white trash Valentine's day cake which I think is appropriate.

The lettering is so lovely because my hands kept melting the buttercream in the bag as I was piping. Stupid delicious melty non-crisco buttercream! :argh:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Fight Club posted:

Stargate cake!

Stargate cake I made for boyfriend's birthday. Chocolate devil's food, with mint white chocolate ganache, buttercream and homemade mint marshmallow.

Making of videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifbXZEuU9Y

Wow that looks like it would have taken a long time. Nicely done!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
NWS - BETTY COCKER

https://wi.somethingawful.com/20/2079cfded6f0c17ce2e6acd404a1c9d8c86572f1.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ea/eab6180c243810a2573ee0d1f04d5d6109e0297e.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ef/efa78f5f8820e15c57be59d3025411e37ffc88b0.jpg

oy!
https://wi.somethingawful.com/d3/d32ebcb39ef81bc1c68993fbddf2abbce00c0075.jpg

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
You must tell me how you got this shape!!! ^^^^^^ My spherical cake adventures have been not so rewarding.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I have a color related dilemma for all of you cake enthusiasts:

How in the HELL do I get my butter cream BLACK, I mean, dark, REAL black? I swear yesterday I used half a bottle of my black americolor and it was still light gray. Any ideas?

I love the choices americolor offers, but I swear I use up those little bottles in days.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

physics geek posted:

My roommate and I saw KISS at the California Mid State Fair this summer, so for her birthday I made her this:

Click here for the full 459x612 image.

I wasn't extremely happy with the way the hair turned out, but there was already so much frosting I didn't want to add more. I still think it's pretty cool!

What kind of frosting did you use for the face? Was it royal? It looks so smooth....

Also, that llama cake is freaking CUTE.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Thumposaurus posted:

This is adorable and looks super delicious. What kind of buttercream did you use?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

Made a turtle cake for my sister-in-law's birthday.

What kind of coloring did you use to paint the gum paste?

I must know!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

I used Americolor food color gel thinned slightly with vodka to paint the pastillage for the rocks and the fondant on the turtle shell. On the gumpaste turtle appendages I mixed petal dust with vodka, and for the lily pads and lotus, I used dry petal dust.

Thanks! petal dust? why was I not informed of this?! I'm gonna git me some! Yeee haaaw

P.S. nice baby basket cake ^^^

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
sweet cakes there.

Do you also use "petal dust" to get the color on your leaves? They look great.

I'm going to have to try this soon. Await a massive cake post gws.

AHAHAA... FIRST TIME SEEING THAT CUSTOM TITLE.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Pilcrow posted:

My friend held an Ann Summer's party last week, so we decided to make a cake. My flatmate baked three plain vanilla sponges, which we sandwiched together with buttercream and homemade raspberry jam.

My friend then iced the entire thing with blue buttercream, while I modelled the decorations from fondant. We used icing sugar mixed with a little water for the finishing touches. It tasted absolutely amazing!

:nws: http://img.waffleimages.com/945d86fed77f2d84bfb7d30fcbde3d8b98d30869/peniscake1.aspx :nws:

:nws: http://img.waffleimages.com/b8e57d2f750b19ff7e133c585779b43a8e69e2a0/peniscake2.aspx :nws:

:nws: http://img.waffleimages.com/5c02feb606821f0dd0ff31d106338dd498e853a6/peniscake3.aspx :nws:

That is adorable!

awww look at all the cute little penises.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
first of all: chocolate sprinkles = cactus spikes!
also chocolate ganache with cinnamon = delicious Mexican filling

Ok, now that we that out of the way... yeah get a couple (six/seven) boxes pound cake mix... (I say pound cake because it's easier to carve)

honestly kid 70 people is a doozie.... could a bakery pull it out for you in time? It will probably be semi expensive, but with the shopping/buying large sized sheet pans/ingredients/coloring you're looking at a semi decent bit of money also.... plus hours of work.

I guess you could layer two sheet cakes on top of one another then carve... but I feel like you'll lose much needed cakeage in the cutting.

also the heat, you can't make anything easy can you? Ahahahaa.

(buttercreams made with crisco will stay solid at higher temperatures than butter creams made with butter) I prefer butter, but beggars can't be choosers some situations.

HOW ABOUT MUFFINS? DELICIOUS MUFFINS FOR ALL! HOORAY!

edit: beaten!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Lemon is a superior flavor. I make 70% of the stuff I bake lemon flavored.

I like it better than chocolate. That's right, I said it!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Is this fondant or royal icing? Looks like fondant....either way great job. I'm poo poo with letters.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

I made Pokémon cookies for brother in law's birthday. Haven't made the actual cake yet, but a 3-D Snorlax cake is forthcoming, I promise.

The center cookie is hard to read, but it says "EXCUSE ME?! He's more ripped than you!" Yay for the Kopykake again! Possibly the best decorating-related purchase I've ever made.

Holy crap I must buy one of those. Great job!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
that is amazing!

I don’t know why it’s so hard to cover spherical stuff with fondant but it is!

how long did it take?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Sour cream buttercream is superior to both.

SUPERIOR.

Soshi what are those turrets made of?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Her cakes are the tits! That one with the bunny on top, those flowers are beauuutiful!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

filo posted:

Does she know it's just Fondarific fondant marketed with Duff's ugly mug on it? It's way way cheaper to simply order Fondarific online; 2 lbs. of Duff's fondant is $19.99 at Michael's, 2 lbs. of Fondarific is $12.49.

Her work is excellent!

wait wait wait a minute here.

Does this stuff actually TASTE good????? Do tell.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Nadine Hauklund posted:

Very crazy poo poo going down at a bakery in Thailand. Is there a cake master here who is a bad enough dude to try this out? And then tell me some tricks because I so badly want one for Halloween.

http://urbantitan.com/cannibalism-at-the-bakery-see-for-yourself/

I want to know how he does this! The blog says it's bread...but...HOW?

I would kill for a tutorial but I won't hold my breath.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

Seconding the Americolors. Getting a true black or red is really a bitch with the Wilton gels but can easily be done with Americolors. Also, colors tend to deepen with time so if you are able, tint the icing 24 hours or so beforehand to give the color time to develop.

waiiit..I can STILL never get a true black buttercream with americolor. It always looks grey.

Could I be retarded? maybe. Is there a trick other than adding cocoa powder?

edit: oops didnt see the other posts. Looks like I am not alone.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

Hmm...are you letting the color develop? I find that with buttercream especially, the color deepens significantly over time. Are you using an American buttercream or a Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream? Because if it's the latter, you'll never get the dark colors, those icings just don't take color too well in my experience. Or, if you do a lot of decorating, you could just mix all your leftover colors together as a base for black...it'll look really poopy to begin with but it gives a richer base and will yield a truer black.

Actually, if I'm doing a really dark colored cake, say black or navy, I always try to use fondant as I don't really like the way buttercream looks.

Edit: I don't like the cocoa powder trick either, I hate chocolate so I can detect even a couple tablespoons immediately. I've heard good things about Chefmaster brand colors too, so if Americolor isn't doing it for you, perhaps you could try that.

What does letting the color develop mean? This is a thing people do? I usually just make the icing then use it right away to ice the cake. I use regular old butter and sugar, and occasionally fun still like cream cheese and sour cream, buttercream. Hmmm, I think maybe I’ll have an adventure in cake decorating soon and document my black icing foibles for science.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I occasionally get bored, so I made cupcakes for my little sister at college:

I'll probably make hamburger or drumstick cupcakes to go with these before I send them off to her... I saw pictures of them somewhere on the internet a while ago (that's where I got the idea).

How are you going to send them without ruining them?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Harlequinn posted:

This delicious cake was cooked up for my girlfriends birthday.

Gyardos used bite, it was super effective! (Though sadly for the Magikarps, splash... wasn't)

adorable.

Was that just regular wilton fondant? I'm still learning about fondant so I like to pester everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

clarabelle posted:

Second time carving was easier, but still took two evenings of work to finish it

Easiest to decorate, hardest to bake. I swore a lot while pouring the batter

How did you get it to bake in different colored lines like this? I know how to do the rainbow cake but this is striped....

• Locked thread