Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Timo posted:

I know some people put down something like parchment paper as dividers, pour the batter in, then pull the paper out.

I would have to see someone doing this.... in my head the weight of the batter would just push the parchment paper out and splooge underneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Agent Pendergast posted:

My fiance just finished this one.

http://imgur.com/4Y5e7.jpg
http://imgur.com/8giT8.jpg

edit: sorry about the external link, cant get my pics to upload properly.

Is that modeling chocolate? It's lovely. How did he get the wrinkles?

I always ask questions like this because I am trying to fight my way through different fondant techniques at the moment and it is haaaaaaaard.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I usually do the mix-with-vodka coloring method for my fondant cakes... mostly because I'm too lazy to mix it into the fondant first.

It dries nicely but you have to give it time.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

frankdiabetes posted:

A silly cake I made for someone's birthday: a narwhal and a turtle roasting weenies and marshmallows over a campfire. Chocolate cake with Kahlua ganache and coffee buttercream.

Inspired by this button:

I did get to try one new technique: pulling sugar! It seemed to go pretty well, not a complete disaster at least. If I do more with pulled sugar, I definitely need to get a heat lamp because a lot of sugar went wasted once it cooled and hardened beyond the point I could shape it. Also, gloves are NEEDED, preferably a pair of cotton gloves under a pair of latex gloves or you will have burned and blistered hands.

That Is freakishly cute.

Is the narwhal made of modeling chocolate? Is his horn one of the pieces you pulled? Great work.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but PezMaster are you a baker by trade?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I have to make a giant multi-tired cake for a baby shower at the end of this month. I'm a bit scared, but I make cakes all the time so I hope it wont be TOO horrible. My question is this: How do I keep the cake from leaning? When I usually make cakes, they look great but have a tendency to lean (I usually do four full-size cake layers). I think this may be because my frosting between layers is too thin... I have tried using wooden skewers, but these haven't worked too well.

How do I get my frosting nice and thick without using too much powdered sugar? (I try to strike a nice balance in my frosting without going TOO overboard with the sugar)

And have any suggestions for keeping a tired cake straight? Should I use straws for support? Hidden Cake boards between layers?

The mom of the parson having the baby is a real nit-picky beotch so I want to do a really good job on this thing so she'll shut her complain hole.

Help me cake gurus, you're my only hope!!!

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

cocoavalley posted:

How big is giant? For the baby shower cake that I posted awhile back I only used cake board between the tiers, but it was a rather small cake (2 10-inch layers and 2 8-inch layers.) If your cake is going to be a lot bigger, use cake boards between the tiers and also hammer a sharpened dowel (1/2 inch or so diameter) down through the center of the whole thing and into the base that the cake sets on, it will help a lot with the leaning. The cake boards also make it really easy to remove the tiers for cutting.

Also, depending on how many tiers you end up making, you may need/want to add some extra support to the base layer by using some shorter dowels to hold up the cake board on the base layer.

Thanks for the info! (sorry this took so long, completely forgot I posted)

The cake will be 3 tiers, the bottom being 12 inches, the next 10, the next 8 (At least those are the pan sizes I remember ordering...I think). Getting the supplies for this thing is costing a fortune. Any good recommendations of where to get the base layer? I was reading online that thicker cake boards (pedestals? I forget what they're called) were better, but they're about 17 bucks each for something that I'm going to ruin with a sharpened dowel.

What kind of icing did you use on your cake? Standard buttercream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

hypnotoad posted:

Sooo my best friend's older brother just got engaged and his fiance wanted me and my best friend to surprise him at their engagement party with an MRE cake. We made a practice one the other day. It's actually not great compared to our usual standards, but we kept reminding ourselves it was only a PRACTICE RUN. He's not a goon so I don't feel bad posting some pictures:

At the top is their wedding date, at the bottom says "Congrats Chris".

This is really well done. Is that a crust on it or a fondant? The color is great.

• Locked thread