Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:

RightHonourableHolt posted:

Spotted in GBS:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

i would pretty much find a pyongyang rollercoaster terrifying

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

hey hey bro

touch your sister's nipple

c'mon do it rub your barrel on it

you know you want to

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

RightHonourableHolt posted:

I have this he is insane.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

or we could find new photos to post

*does nothing to contribute to this thread*

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

edit: actually i think i'll just create a new dudefact thread

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

no but this GBS thread about the dangers of anal sex is pretty awesome: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3014696

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

oh awesome a dude getting his head bitten off thanks for that link

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

is nokia creating advertisements with a virtual bruce lee?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

Hi I am a Snake posted:

Somebody fill me in here, why the gently caress are the Yes Men going after AA now? I mean I thought the whole reason their clothes are expensive as poo poo is because they refuse to use sweatshop labor and they give their employees benefits and decent wages and poo poo. Why else would they be pouring money into Legalize LA and poo poo? Good job, way to go after a company that is lobbying for immigration reform and more rights for immigrants even though it's against their financial interest its not like Wal-Mart is letting kids in Thailand get worked to death so they can sell fat Middle Americans shoddy Hannah Montana merchandise you should really be taking on a company that's most popular with a small group of people who are more politically aware and likely to identify with your anti corporate agenda than the majority of the population.

Culture Jamming is pretty sweet though.

they have discriminatory hiring practices, screw their models and workers out of proper payment

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

bloodytourist posted:

"In the US I need to think three times before I can say anything out loud."

this is pretty true about politics and religion here in the US but isn't that also a generally good rule wherever you are?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

Veinor posted:

also apparently the userbox for people with aspergers syndrome had people arguing with it for a while over the font size of the text

:lol:

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Asperger_syndrome#New_section:_Nerds_and_Asperger_syndrome

I created this section to fill a gap in the article. Regardless of the negative connotation of the word "nerd", it remains the usual, street English word to describe AS and must appear at least once in the article.

Technical note: the content of this section is not written in the page, but consists of a partial transclusion of the Nerd article. For details, see WP:Transclusion. Emmanuelm (talk) 17:03, 7 July 2008 (UTC)

Unless the references specifically used the word "nerd", that section looked like original research. I would also agree that this would seem to be a minor aspect of Asperger, and I doubt the scholarly sources spend a lot of time discussing the nerdiness of AS. WLU (talk) 17:23, 7 July 2008 (UTC)

Agree with WLU. Further, please do not transclude another article here; this is a featured article, and if an outside article deteriorates or doesn't meet FA standards, that can affect his article. SandyGeorgia (Talk) 17:29, 7 July 2008 (UTC)

I strongly disagree that "nerd" is the usual, street-English word to describe AS. Lots of nerds do not have AS, and vice versa; and reliable sources do not at all equate the two notions. I agree that the section in Nerd is original research; it should not be included here (or in Nerd either, for that matter). Eubulides (talk) 18:18, 7 July 2008 (UTC)

I think a lot of people we've historically called nerds would have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, had Asperger's been around at the time. Benjamin Nugent, author of American Nerd: The story of my people, in an interview with Salon two months ago. I found this within five minutes of Googling. Emmanuelm (talk) 14:36, 17 July 2008 (UTC)

I'm unclear what is the relevance of one layperson author's speculation to a well-sourced medical article. Does Benjamin Nugent have some training or qualifications to make diagnoses that isn't revealed in the interview? SandyGeorgia (Talk) 15:39, 17 July 2008 (UTC)

This link should be of interest: [1]. It is an article by a professor of psychiatry at UCSD discussing the relationship between the nerd stereotype and Asperger's, as well as related autism spectrum disorders. I have added the citation to the disputed section which was transcluded in order to address the OR criticism, although I agree transclusion may not be the best way to add this section to this article. I think discussion of this topic is relevant and entirely appropriate, however, in order to place Asperger's within a societal context: both to illustrate the stigma often faced by people with AS, and to point out how society has historically viewed and responded to people with AS. It need not be claimed or implied that everyone who is called a nerd has AS nor that everyone with AS will be seen as a nerd by peers, rather the noteworthy phenomenon here is that there is a clear and documented overlap between the stereotype on the one hand and behavioral profile associated with AS on the other. Schomerus (talk) 16:00, 26 August 2008 (UTC)

That link is not to peer-reviewed research; it is a hypothesis that nerds suffer from what the author dubs "mild PDD" (MPDD), a condition that is apparently neither PDD nor AS. The connection to Asperger syndrome is dubious, and anyway the "mild PDD" hypothesis does not appear in, and has not been tested by, any peer-reviewed research that I know of. Eubulides (talk) 18:23, 26 August 2008 (UTC)

Please see my comments in Talk:Nerd#Asperger Schomerus (talk) 23:05, 26 August 2008 (UTC)

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=les+horrible+cernettes

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

WELL G-GOSH DARN YOU I'M A WOMBAT

i want to make you my pet wombat. i will name you george foster wallace and give you rubs under your fuzzy lil chin every day

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

come on where are the pictures of greek riots

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

edit: oops

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

LF Jewish politics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Judaism

quote:

In December 2006, a responsum was adopted by the Committee that approved the ordination of gay and lesbian rabbis and permitted commitment ceremonies for lesbian and gay Jews (but not same-sex marriage), while maintaining the traditional prohibition against anal sex between men.[8] An opposing responsum, that maintained the traditional prohibitions against ordinations and commitment ceremonies, was also approved. Both responsa were enacted as majority opinions, with some members of the Committee voting for both. This result gives individual synagogues, rabbis, and rabbinical schools discretion to adopt either approach.[9]

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

xpistos posted:

just poppin in to say i recognized this woman because i am cooler than lf

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

gently caress edward said posted:

:nws:postcolonialism.jpg:nws:

postcolonialism is a page load error

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

oh poo poo zoom out a couple of times

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valley/la-me-gangster-sg,0,5720306.storygallery

dirty cop stories from 50s LA

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

wait, was there really an anime section in the crusifiction article?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

did it reference evangelion i bet it mentioned evangelion
edit:
In anime
Rukia Kuchiki's crucifixion-like pre-execution stance. Screencap from episode 54.
Sailor Mercury is crucified on a crystal cross. Screencap from episode 74.

Crucifixion has been a recurrent and prominent theme in anime, where it often serves to emphasize the suffering of sympathetic characters.[citation needed] In the anime Bleach on episode 54, when the Shinigami Rukia Kuchiki is about to be executed at the Sogyoku Hill, she's restrained in a position that is very similar to crucifixion. In episode 74 of the Sailor Moon R series, the Inner Senshi are captured by Rubeus and crucified on rock crystal crosses inside of his space ship. Also in episode 123 of Sailor Moon S, during Chibiusa's nightmare, Hotaru Tomoe is bound on a cross with skeletal arms and hands. In the short clips Mazin Saga, Sayaka Yumi's robot Aphrodite is tied up to a crucifix and is finally rescued by other Go Nagai robots. In the Pokémon movie Mewtwo Returns, when Mewtwo was forced to be detained by Giovanni's most powerful machine, he was set in a crucified position with a mirror similarity to Jesus's. In Naruto, Kakashi is on a capital T cross in Itachi's illusion and is stabbed with a sword instead of a spear. Also in Naruto, a young boy's father is murdered on a wooden cross. At the end of the cultural festival arc of School Rumble S2, Kenji Harima was tied up on a cross and nailed on the ceiling while everyone was celebrating the end of the festival as punishment for sleeping in the bed used for his class play. Near the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion, the Mass-Production Evangelions fall to earth in cruciform poses, as well as the angel Lilith crucified in Terminal Dogma. In one episode of Samurai Champloo, two of the main characters narrowly escape crucifixion for unknowingly using fake passports at a checkpoint. In the first few episodes of Wolf's Rain, the Flower Maiden Cheza sleeps underwater with a crucified form when checked by the scientist Cher Degré. In episode 3 of Macross Plus, as Myung Fang Lone attempts to deactivate the Virturoid Idol Sharon Apple, she is caught in coils of audio/video cables before being suspended in mid-air in a crucifix-like stance. Crucifixion-type imagery is employed in several of the popular Final Fantasy games, including the 7th, 8th, and 10th installments of the series. In one scene of the Square-Enix videogame, Xenogears, there is a scene involving the crucifixion of mech-robots. Also in the game, Elly (the main heroine) is captured then crucified before Deus. In the mythology based video game Persona 3, Ikutsuki had captured the members of SEES and set them up in a crucified position when he prepared to sacrifice them to the goddess Nyx with Aigis's assistance. In Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Satoko is stabbed with a knife by Shion while chained to a cross. In One Piece, Luffy finds Roronoa Zoro tied to a wooden cross while being held prisoner by the Navy. In Rosario+Vampire when the council find out Tsukune is a human he is chained to a cross and being mocked. In the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG the card Helpoemer is depicted as being nailed to a cross. In Digimon Frontier the antagonist Mercurymon has Seraphimon in a crucified pose after absorbing his fractal code.

G. Hosafat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 21, 2008

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:golfclap:

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

William McKinley posted:

I think this is lf but I'm not 100% sure, can you guys assess it for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

i will pro click this for the whitest white person ska ever

its rootsy dem talk bout JE SUS

G. Hosafat fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 23, 2008

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

what is it even supposed to mean?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

with my trusty katana and Atlas Shrugged shield i am going to defend my shelves of anime

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

ShadowGovernment posted:

one of those cases where a good old fashioned book-burning is not only justifiable but quite necessary

what are you a FEMINAZI??

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

hey before u get probated for leeching tell me what part o palesitine those ppl are from

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

if and when rove finally does get arrested i will celebrate (this will never happen)

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

quick shiv him

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

some day if i get an xbox 360 i so will get banjo kazzooie game those were the best i won a banjo kazooie contest

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

Here is an "LF" frontpage update in case any fools missed it: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/awfulvision/juggalo-goth-libertarian.php

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

no this is a snipe
While on the subject of military matters, I thought that the following extracts from a Ma’ariv interview with an Israel sniper would be of interest. I found them to be riveting.

The solider in question has killed thirty-one terrorists to date through his sniper’s scope. The following are some of the most interesting extracts in which he relates his thoughts about his job, how he copes with it, his methods and how he feels about killing people through his sniper’s scope. Translation by yours truly.

“I was nine when I got my first rifle. It was an air-rifle which my parents gave to me and I would practice with it the whole time, standing up matches and shooting them down or shooting out the flame of a candle from a distance of thirty or forty metres.

“Two days after I finished my five-week sniper’s course I was sent on my first mission. The whole night before hand I felt unbelievable pressure. I lay on my bed and couldn’t stop thinking about all the responsibility on my shoulders. The adrenalin was flowing through my veins but I was not required to fire during the mission.

“The first time I fired my sniper’s rifle was on a mission which started out as a simple mission into Gaza during the night. I was lying out in a field when I saw two suspicious figures in the dark. I felt unbelievable stress. I was lying in a bunch of thorns and rocks but couldn’t feel a thing. I was completely focused on the two images and because of the pressure I forgot everything I had been taught. However, I received the order to shoot, I shot and one of the figures dropped to the floor and ceased to move. I think because this mission was at night and I only saw him fall through the sniper’s scope it was less frightening. I didn’t see him die in front of my eyes, it was in the dark and through the scope. When we returned to the base I couldn’t get to sleep the whole night. I began to think about the man I killed and his life but then I understood that if he had remained alive he would have hurt one of us. At this point I decided to never think about the fact that I had killed a man but the opposite: that I had saved other people.

“With time you begin to become accustomed to these missions and then you are able to relax. When I take up a position in house we’ve taken control of I find a corner and disengage from everything around me. I sit and wait patiently, sweating like crazy in the summer and suffering the cold in the winter, but I wait in silence. Sometimes we wait for hours, my personal record is eighteen hours straight. I just sat and waited with my finger on the trigger and my eyes scanning the territory in front of me.

“When I get to a certain area and begin to work I begin to understand the surroundings, who lives in which building and with who; how many people are in this or that family; who lives in which room and who he hangs out with..

“If I see an armed terrorist I don’t open fire immediately, I give him time to feel secure. One time I identified four combatants armed with RPGs and I took down just one of them and not the whole group in order not to be discovered. I heard stories about snipers that got too excited and took out a whole group of terrorists but then got an anti-tank missile into the house where they were hiding and that was the end of the story. Because of this it’s important to be patient.

“One time the opposite happened. I once watched a terrorist enter his house then leave it again, look right and left and then lifted something up which had been concealed under his legs. I already had my finger on the trigger and I nearly squeezed it when I saw he was lifting up a baby.

“In general terms it’s preferable to shoot the target in the head or the heart, depending on the distance. You aim, breathe lightly and rhythmically and then...boom! You hear the noise, the smell of gunpowder burning in your nostrils and the combatant falls.

“When we’re in these people’s [Palestinians] houses we’re pretty orderly. Sometimes we give sweets to the kids, sometimes the family offers us food. We are also always very strict to put the house in back in order once we leave.

“I don’t scratch x’s into my gun to mark my kills like other snipers because I don’t want to graffiti on the weapon and also it means I get fewer questions. My friends and family also don’t ask too many questions. It’s a little hard to explain to them what I do and the situation I’ve been in now for such a long time.

“I think that after all my missions as a sniper I have really become accustomed to what I do. A short time ago, while on a mission, I was woken up in the middle of the night and told I’ve got just a couple minutes to identify the target and take him down . I got up, stretched, identified the target, took him down and went back to sleep and in the morning they told me what it had been about. It seemed to me that what had taken place that night happened almost in my sleep.

“In four months I’ll be finished in the army. I don’t think it will trouble me afterwards. When you’re on a mission you don’t think about anything, you’re just adrenalin. When you’re outside, you understand that it’s preferable not to think about it too much. This was my work, that’s it. It was either me or them and I preferred it to be them”.

ripped from soem random blog

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

Kungfubar posted:

i read that rumsfeld has a desk waist high and he doesnt sit down while working

mothafucka has serious hemorrhoids or some poo poo

i think that was a rumor started in GBS actually I remember the thread.

that said psssh 4 hours standing in place is considered torture? well lemme tell u a little something about working retail :smug:

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

*working retail is kinda torture too though

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

that pro-test site sucks. read their airtight arguments for animal testing:

just go to the site http://www.pro-test.org.uk/facts.php?lt=a

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

oh dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

Aircraft posted:

I was gonna buy that Super Mario hoodie that you see in the banner ads all the time and get one of those "RAP" t-shirts and then I'd get super high and go around to all the parties and be King Goon and all the other nerds would LOVE ME.