Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Computer viking posted:

Mmh, it's more that the old UI was also an acquired taste for a niche of power users - good for keeping a small and loyal fan base, less so for expanding into the great unwashed masses. I guess moving to a new codebase was seen as a good time to re-target for, well, a lower but more common denominator.

How is that expected to work? The only thing Opera had going for it that I can see was that it was a niche product for power users. If Opera is just a regular browser like any other then why shouldn't anyone just use Firefox or Chrome, which have far greater name recognition and are explicitly supported by most websites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tiggum posted:

How is that expected to work? The only thing Opera had going for it that I can see was that it was a niche product for power users. If Opera is just a regular browser like any other then why shouldn't anyone just use Firefox or Chrome, which have far greater name recognition and are explicitly supported by most websites?

Good question, really. Then again, why should anyone use chrome when IE11 is fine? I think they're going for "nicer, smarter UI" plus the compression system (offroad mode). It also identifies as something close enough to chromium that near enough all sites treat it as chrome, so the compatibility problem is mostly solved. Given that very few people actually use more than a couple of bookmarks, and even fewer use mouse gestures, it's probably a competitive alternative to chrome for many users ... shame about having to compete against google's advertising and bundling, of course.

There's also the aspect where they make most of their money selling software and services to companies, and the browser is something they do to keep the employees sharp and the brand interesting.
(Well, a fair bit of income is also from the mobile ad network they run using some tiny spare fraction of their massive amount of servers and bandwidth.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

Good question, really. Then again, why should anyone use chrome when IE11 is fine? I think they're going for "nicer, smarter UI" plus the compression system (offroad mode).

The differences between IE and Chrome are far greater than the differences between Chrome and Opera

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wheany posted:

The differences between IE and Chrome are far greater than the differences between Chrome and Opera

Yes, IE11 is by far more usable out of the box.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wheany posted:

Sure, though it remains the same problem of "why make the effort to use this other thing when what I have fills the same basic needs".

And I really do believe opera and chrome are slowly diverging. There are already small things like the weird bookmarking system(s) in opera, or the sort of nifty tab peek they just added in devel (which goes well with ctrl-tab, though the design idea was to make it easier to pick out the right tab if you have so many ones open that they turn into anonymous little nubs) - or their optional cloud compression "offroad mode".

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I like (metro) IE on my Surface Pro, I use it more than anything else; the reason is pretty simple, the interface is better. It is the exact same reason I use Opera (12) on a desktop, devoid of a touch screen; the interface is better.

I start to get annoyed in Chrome (I use it almost daily in a limited manner) and the new Opera pisses me off more because it isn't actually Opera. You mentioned Windows and Office in terms of their long-term code base as examples to moving toward the new Opera, I would like to point out that they do nearly everything possible to maintain backward compatibility even if they drastically change something.

I know that my only hope is the Otter browser; given the advancements in a couple months, including windows binaries :woop:, I suspect it is round about a year off of replacing Opera 12 for the masses. Given it is the only upgrade path any Opera 12 users would ever consider, any mention of the Otter browser there?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EvilMoFo posted:

You mentioned Windows and Office in terms of their long-term code base as examples to moving toward the new Opera, I would like to point out that they do nearly everything possible to maintain backward compatibility even if they drastically change something.

More in terms of "radical interface changes for debatable reasons". MS are admittedly much better at keeping the keyboard shortcuts working, though.

Separately - how much more or less annoying than chrome would new opera have been if it were released under a different name? (A rose by any other name might not get the same reception, etc. Not to imply that it's entirely rosy.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 27, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's still a gigantic gap in that Microsoft has a near-monopoly in terms of personal/office OS and office suites whereas Opera had a tiny, niche hold on the browser "market". The Microsoft analogy fails because all Microsoft needs to do is maintain its market share in those software categories instead of expand it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sure - random large changes are way less risky if your userbase have little real choice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Separately - how much more or less annoying than chrome would new opera have been if it were released under a different name? (A rose by any other name might not get the same reception, etc. Not to imply that it's entirely rosy.)

I still wouldn't use it, but it would be way less annoying. I'd still be annoyed that Opera was being discontinued to work on this new browser that was way worse, but calling it the same thing when it very clearly isn't is just obnoxious.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

More in terms of "radical interface changes for debatable reasons". MS are admittedly much better at keeping the keyboard shortcuts working, though.

If it had been called something else then I would be confused as to why the devs were ditching opera to make chrome. I then would have switched like I did already.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So I'm upgrading to a new computer, and I'd like to just copy/paste my bookmarks and hopefully, the passwords and poo poo my wand has saved. What files are these, and where the hell does Opera hide them?

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad
This is probably a stupid question.

Why is Opera Next showing a ton of bandwidth usage when it's doing almost nothing? I'll have a dozen 4Chan tabs set to auto-update, and Opera Next will be using 1.5MB/sec. Why?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blhue posted:

So I'm upgrading to a new computer, and I'd like to just copy/paste my bookmarks and hopefully, the passwords and poo poo my wand has saved. What files are these, and where the hell does Opera hide them?

For Opera 12 and down, go to opera:about in your browser and check out the paths. Most of my settings are in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\, but mail is in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local for some reason.

Interesting files to back up, depending on how much you use those features:
bookmarks.adr
notes.adr
search.ini
speeddial.ini
wand.dat

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

NFX posted:

For Opera 12 and down, go to opera:about in your browser and check out the paths. Most of my settings are in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\, but mail is in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local for some reason.

Interesting files to back up, depending on how much you use those features:
bookmarks.adr
notes.adr
search.ini
speeddial.ini
wand.dat

Cool, thanks. Kind of worrying that copying the wand is as simple as I hoped it would be, but convenient for the time being.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There are also 3rd party programs that can decrypt the wand file to show you all saved passwords, so uhm, don't use it like KeePass or put it on online storage (unless theres a masterpassword set that might be used for stronger encryption?) Of course if it's offline and someone has direct access to your pc you usually have bigger problems anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 27, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Computer viking posted:

having to work up brand recognition for something new.
See that's what gets me. Apple understood what they were using and made sure that their new product was both able to benefit from the brand recognition, by keeping the MacOS part in the name, but is also highly distinct from the previous product line by adding the X. Opera could've literally done the same by calling the new browser Opera X. It would in fact have helped marketing by making it clear that they're doing something new. Everyone would've been better off.

Computer viking posted:

Separately - how much more or less annoying than chrome would new opera have been if it were released under a different name?
It would've been massively less annoying, because it would've meant that websites and web developers understand that Chromera is an entirely different software than Opera, instead of what they're thinking now, namely that it's a point upgrade and it's perfectly fine to force their visitors to upgrade.

Computer viking posted:

Oh, and the internal "we'll kill you if you use this in public" codename was opium.
That's cute. :D

The russian thing though is probably just russians being ballsy and not giving a gently caress. :)

Computer viking posted:

I kind of prefer the chimera allusion in "chromera", though. :)
It's catchy and more importantly spares me from the mental doublespeak dissonance. ;)

Computer viking posted:

Mmh, it's more that the old UI was also an acquired taste for a niche of power users - good for keeping a small and loyal fan base, less so for expanding into the great unwashed masses. I guess moving to a new codebase was seen as a good time to re-target for, well, a lower but more common denominator.

That said, they have been tacking on new features, but they seem to be quite selective in only adding things that doesn't make it look more complicated by default. There are a few things hidden behind default-off settings, so they could in theory add more ... but no, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for feature parity with 12.
That's another thing that is simply insulting to me about this new thing Opera ASA has become. I know most of the technical staff can't do anything about this, but the marketing department has taken to outright lying. Instead of simply explaining that the amount of users not using any of the complicated features is so large that Opera would only lose money by implementing any of them, and can't afford that, would've calmed down many of the hardcore users; as opposed to the bullshit we've been seeing on the desktop blog, twitter and elsewhere.

Computer viking posted:

if you have so many ones open that they turn into anonymous little nubs)
Right now my tabs look like this:

Any chance of this ever being possible again in Chromera?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Quick answers: Rightclick+scroll is apparently one of the top causes of "wtf just happened" among opera 12 users, so it's unlikely to return as an enabled by default thing. I can nag about off-by-default but don't expect wonders.

Removing favicons in short tabs is to make it slightly more likely to see what is in the tab - the typical case is apparently that most tabs are from one or two sites, and they feel the favicon is completely useless in that case ... as opposed to a bit of text, which is merely near-useless. I see the usefulness of favicons on your case, but ...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Blhue posted:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1763

The original page for the tool is now defunct as it was somewhere on My Opera, but it works great.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Computer viking posted:

the typical case is apparently that most tabs are from one or two sites, and they feel the favicon is completely useless in that case ... as opposed to a bit of text, which is merely near-useless. I see the usefulness of favicons on your case, but ...

Do what IE does and colour the tabs from the same domain similarly. Also IE11 has by default a menu in the tab bar to let you reopen the last 10 tabs you closed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Quick answers: Rightclick+scroll is apparently one of the top causes of "wtf just happened" among opera 12 users, so it's unlikely to return as an enabled by default thing. I can nag about off-by-default but don't expect wonders.
Thanks for the answer, while i'm not happy, i never expected it to be a default thing, but was wondering what its chances of being implemented were, at all. Having your explanation means i can finally remove the opera desktop blog from my rss reader and stick to getting opera news from here. I'd be happy if you nagging led to something. However since a return would mostly mean me switching my "open page in chrome" button to "open page in chromera", feel free to not put too much effort into it. ;)

Computer viking posted:

Removing favicons in short tabs is to make it slightly more likely to see what is in the tab - the typical case is apparently that most tabs are from one or two sites, and they feel the favicon is completely useless in that case ... as opposed to a bit of text, which is merely near-useless. I see the usefulness of favicons on your case, but ...
Sorry for not quite asking clearly: I meant to ask if it looks like we'll ever be able to skin the tab bar of chromera to remove all of the unnecessary ui cruft around the actual tab contents. The main problem with the Chromera tabs is that there's so much padding and border and margin around the tabs that they become useless a lot quicker than in Opera.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

It's one of the things I love about Opera and wish other browsers would do. I have the tab bar hidden entirely and just use that to switch tabs, it's fantastic.

Riso posted:

Also IE11 has by default a menu in the tab bar to let you reopen the last 10 tabs you closed.
This, on the other hand, is something I hate about Opera 12. My recently closed tabs list right now has over 150 things in it, and the last tab I closed isn't there, so not only is it inconvenient because of its size, it also doesn't seem to work properly. It seems like it would be really handy if it was limited to only a small number of tabs and actually worked though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Are you using a lot of different browser windows? I've never had my Opera lose a closed tab (unless you restart it).

Also my version has a button to manually clear the list of closed tabs, unless you rack up 150 closed tabs in 10 minutes that should solve the problems (and you can always access that stuff via history).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Are you using a lot of different browser windows?
Yep. I like to use a combination of windows and tabs.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also my version has a button to manually clear the list of closed tabs, unless you rack up 150 closed tabs in 10 minutes that should solve the problems (and you can always access that stuff via history).
Yeah, you can clear it manually, but the only time I think to do that is when I want to reopen a closed tab and by that stage it's too late.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Closed tabs have always stuck to the respective window process and are usually sorted by most recently closed, so unless you close a ton of tabs and then exit the window (and its associated session) you shouldn't lose them that easily.

Hell, if you try to get to something you closed hours ago in a different window searching/browsing the history will get you there 100x faster anyway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pure speculation from the guy I talked to: It seems the padding on the narrow tabs is partially to try and nudge people into using more than one window (since it works better both UI and performance-wise). Maybe.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That makes no sense, the tabs are alraedy sandboxed into their own processes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Riso posted:

That makes no sense, the tabs are alraedy sandboxed into their own processes.
Whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter if a manager, or opinionated developer, got the idea in their head.

Computer viking posted:

Pure speculation from the guy I talked to: It seems the padding on the narrow tabs is partially to try and nudge people into using more than one window (since it works better both UI and performance-wise). Maybe.
I guess i shouldn't hold my breath for UI customizability then. :)

Here's one more question that might be interesting to answer: When Opera 15 came out and everyone complained about it being literally Chrome, some people, including Haavard made noises about there being a lot of time spent writing a custom gui toolkit. Was that just noise, or what is up with that? Was that done to enable changes in the future that would be impossible with Chrome? Or was it entirely an under-the-hood thing to either satisfy developer aesthetics in the code, or satisfy some targeted performance profile?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I don't think absolutely everything is held by the tab processes, though. Things like the frozen previews of each tab might well be per-window, and I don't know how they do in-memory caching - or for that matter, which tabs they keep alive in the background. Anyway, the UI part remains true. :)

And no, I wouldn't recommend holding your breath - though I don't know if it's on the roadmap. No idea about the GUI code part either, I can try asking.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I just installed Opera 23 because an addon said it needed it. Where the gently caress are my options? My settings page has like 5 different choices and there are no preferences, or bookmarks, and I can't enable the menu bar? What the hell is this. Whatever, uninstalling that garbage. Is there a way to upgrade from opera 12.15 to 12.17 without having to manually switch over all the settings and bookmarks etc? Is it worth the effort even? I only bothered because my screenshot extension stopped working in 12.15 :(.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Opera (Next) has been really glitchy with the keyboard shortcuts as of late. For example, I will try to search for something (Ctrl+F) and Opera will sometimes randomly switch tabs instead.

Also it has become buggy with the embeded videos in forum posts. Like, you can't get the overlay controls to show properly so you can use them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Opera (Next) has been really glitchy with the keyboard shortcuts as of late. For example, I will try to search for something (Ctrl+F) and Opera will sometimes randomly switch tabs instead.
For quite a while now I've had a similar issue with mouse gestures, but in Opera 12. I'll right-drag down to open a new window and it reloads the page instead (which should be right-drag up-down) and other stuff like that. I think I first started noticing it when they added that big circle thing that pops up when you hold RMB, but it's gotten really bad more recently. Probably since the update to 12.16.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
The mouse gesture UI circle ironically made the gestures glitch. You can turn that off in opera:config. Just search for gesture and uncheck the box for "Show Gesture UI".

Gesture threshold also might help if it still happens.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's a bookmarks manager in Opera Next; enabled in opera:flags and accessed with opera:bookmarks. You can add bookmarks with the heart button, but there's no UI to get to them afterwards apart from the manager (and perhaps URL bar searching?). No idea where they're going with it.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I finally gave up and switched to chrome. Good bye sweet princess. :smith:

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

omeg posted:

I finally gave up and switched to chrome. Good bye sweet princess. :smith:

Same here. It's something I've been trying to avoid but opera 12 wasn't really cutting the mustard and gesture are gimped in the "opera-chrome" releases.

I found an extension for chrome that has some really good gesture support "Smooth Gestures", which has made the move smoother.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I would wholesale switch to chrome if it would import my bookmarks correctly. For some reason it only gets about 40% of them and loses all of the folder sorting.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Otter recently added bookmark importing. I don't use it yet and it's still largely unfinished, but maybe there's enough stuff there to try it out?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Otter recently added bookmark importing. I don't use it yet and it's still largely unfinished, but maybe there's enough stuff there to try it out?

So did opera 22/developer, incidentally. I think I mentioned the in-progress bookmarks manager upthread, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Not comparable, because Otter had a bookmark manager after six months.