Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

sbaldrick posted:

nothing blocked at all. I can't find anything that's conflicting with it either. Why does Opera get worse some times?

It's terrible for me right now. I already had inline frames enabled, but the Gmail load problem resolved itself. Except that now it's incredibly slow and drops connection all the time (it just took me 7 tries to attach a 13kB file to an email). Embedded videos take a good couple minutes to load if they do at all and loading any page is slow. And occasionally just trying to scroll causes Opera to freeze for a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micolithe
Sep 21, 2005

by Ozma

sbaldrick posted:

enabling inline frames did fix the load problem which is good.

I now have another problem with embedded videos not showing up (it's on fleshbot alright). Anyone else having this issue.

I have an odd issue with youtube, where if I'm on a channel page, and change the video, the video is invisible until i either scroll down and back up or switch back and forth between tabs. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to block Viddler and Livestream video ads with the Opera adblocker?

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
Ok, I am having an insane problem. I was trying to load an article from smashingmagazine.com, but when I opened it up, it was clearly using the wrong encoding - nonsense characters and nothing else. It opens fine in Chrome, and other articles on that site initially opened without an issue, but now I can't load anything from that site at all. I've cleared out the cookies for that site, the cache, the history, changed the encoding manually, etc. etc. - no luck.

Here's where it gets stupid: once this happened on my desktop (Win7 X64, 10.10) it started to happen for the same site on my laptop (Vista x86, 10.53) as well. I have Opera Link turned on, so I assume the problem is something that's getting synced, but I can't tell what the hell that is. Any suggestions?

Edit: both installs of Opera have randomly crashed, once each, since I posted this. The crash logs were uninformative, so I'm no closer to understanding what's going on.

GobyWan fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 7, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

GobyWan posted:

Ok, I am having an insane problem. I was trying to load an article from smashingmagazine.com, but when I opened it up, it was clearly using the wrong

Smashingmagazine.com redirects me to http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/w3tc/pgcache/_default_.html.deflate, which sounds like a bug at their end. Probably, if you ran an inflate algorithm on the data in that address you'd get sensible output.

If it works with other browsers, looks like smashingmagazine.com does some browser sniffing that cuases it to return a compressed data stream but for some reason it's not marked as such in the headers.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

krylex posted:

I don't know about that bug, but I can finally minimize tabs on OSX and I'm happy as can loving be.

How did you enable this? It does not work out of the box, and I cannot find a preference for it.

Also is there a way to not have the scroll use momentum scrolling?

(The Quicktime bug is still not fixed in the 10.53 for OS X,if anyone but me cares.

VVVThnaks for that

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 7, 2010

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kapalama posted:

How did you enable this? It does not work out of the box, and I cannot find a preference for it.

Also is there a way to not have the scroll use momentum scrolling?

(The Quicktime bug is still not fixed in the 10.53 for OS X,if anyone but me cares.

Go to opera:config and either search for minimize or scroll down to user prefs and check off "Click to Minimize"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
As much as I love Opera, it is really developing Linuxists. It shouldn't be that hard to get pages to load and render right. At some point if everyone else can render the page then your browser (Opera) is the problem.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

sbaldrick posted:

As much as I love Opera, it is really developing Linuxists. It shouldn't be that hard to get pages to load and render right. At some point if everyone else can render the page then your browser (Opera) is the problem.

I've been using Opera since version 5 or so, and this is the first time in a very long while that a page has just refused to load anything at all. I've seen a few things that didn't render right in 10.10 recently, but 10.5x is even better at compatibility, and it's been at least 2 major versions since I've had to run a backup browser. Besides, I spend far too much time on the internet and I've only ever seen this happen with an actual site once (I've had the same result from Opera deciding it knows how to parse .wmv files for some reason, but that went away around 9.6), so it's not like this is an epidemic. Also, most pages have conditional style sheets for different browsers so that things do in fact render right in IE 6, 7, 7 compatibility mode, 8, 8 compatibility, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc. People don't do those for Opera, so Opera ASA has to do the legwork to make things look right, and nowadays they consistently succeed at that.

Also also: It is actually hard to get pages to load and render correctly, especially when they come in 4-6 different versions specific to the rendering quirks of individual browsers and yours isn't one of them. This is why Opera has always had trouble with compatibility, and why it was hard to use as a primary browser before about 9.5. We'd have more than 4-5 robust rendering engines floating around if they were simple to make, and if new ones didn't have to adapt to the way things are rather than dictate how pages should be made.

tl;dr: You would have been right in 2008, now a problem like this is a surprising thing and Opera's compatibility is very good. Also, Smashing Magazine loads fine today, so I guess it was on their end.

Edit: yeah, ok, wall of :words: doesn't help the Linux comparisons, but the attitude's different - nobody here is demanding that everything be changed to work with Opera because that's so rarely necessary anymore.

GobyWan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 7, 2010

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.
It's also worth noting that a lot of the problems that people have in this thread turn out to be due to odd settings and userjs and other miscellaneous whatnot. In other words, the sort of people who use Opera are the same sort who tinker with things and sometimes break them on their own. Linuxy people, but not necessarily in the bad way.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
gently caress, Opera still has broken fonts in the Linux beta. It's unusable for me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just a check: How many of you were in Opera alpha/beta and didn't wipe your data completely instead of merely upgrading to the final versions?

That might very well be it. I have a couple of problems, but I am waiting until I get a chance to sync and merge my bookmarks properly.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ufarn posted:

Just a check: How many of you were in Opera alpha/beta and didn't wipe your data completely instead of merely upgrading to the final versions?

That might very well be it. I have a couple of problems, but I am waiting until I get a chance to sync and merge my bookmarks properly.

Isn't that kind of the programmer's job to make the upgrades work? Most people use browsers daily. Having to set everything up again takes forever, and does not take any more or less time than just learning how to use a different browser that already works right.

Opera makes money from people using their browser. Making it work so that people don't stop using it is in their best interests. I am still on a version that is 10 months old because they have not fixed a problem with one of the most common plugins on the internet (Quicktime controls have not worked right in any of the 10.x release on Mac).

I get that Opera was in a rush to get 10.50 out there for the 'choose your browser' Windows thing, but getting a version that causes problems out just encourages people to not use their product. Those who vote and try it out are not even going to give it a second chance if it fails to work right. Making the upgrades work is their job.

The people reading this thread are the hard core fanbase. If people here (big time Opera fans all) are frustrated and talking about leaving it behind....

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapalama posted:

Isn't that kind of the programmer's job to make the upgrades work? Most people use browsers daily. Having to set everything up again takes forever, and does not take any more or less time than just learning how to use a different browser that already works right.

Opera makes money from people using their browser. Making it work so that people don't stop using it is in their best interests. I am still on a version that is 10 months old because they have not fixed a problem with one of the most common plugins on the internet (Quicktime controls have not worked right in any of the 10.x release on Mac).

I get that Opera was in a rush to get 10.50 out there for the 'choose your browser' Windows thing, but getting a version that causes problems out just encourages people to not use their product. Those who vote and try it out are not even going to give it a second chance if it fails to work right. Making the upgrades work is their job.

The people reading this thread are the hard core fanbase. If people here (big time Opera fans all) are frustrated and talking about leaving it behind....

If you're upgrading from the alpha/beta, which specifically say "Don't use as your main browser, don't get attached", then it's your own fault if it breaks something, not the dev's. If you decide to install a beta operating system on your computer, it's not Microsoft/Apple's job to account for fuckups that happen because you ignored the advice and tried to upgrade it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

kapalama posted:

The people reading this thread are the hard core fanbase. If people here (big time Opera fans all) are frustrated and talking about leaving it behind...
Honestly, nah. None of the people complaining here strike me as "hardcore fans", but merely people who tinker a bit and went beyond their depth.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
And look here come the defenders who won't admit anything is wrong. Even Opera itself will admit that it has hang time problems with some pages. But it seems to be getting worse at times gone on. No other browser has these issues to the extent Opera has. I switch back and forth like mad mostly because I can never find the perfect one.

I like the way Opera looks and feels, but as a browser it has issues. Which won't be fixed if no one admits they exist.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

sbaldrick posted:

And look here come the defenders who won't admit anything is wrong. Even Opera itself will admit that it has hang time problems with some pages. But it seems to be getting worse at times gone on. No other browser has these issues to the extent Opera has. I switch back and forth like mad mostly because I can never find the perfect one.

I like the way Opera looks and feels, but as a browser it has issues. Which won't be fixed if no one admits they exist.

You know, you could just use another browser. Apparently, Chrome is pretty fast. :ssh:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
As interesting as that is, as it was neat. It doesn't solve the problem, which no one seems to know how to :(

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian
So, I'm having issues with facebook. On 10.53
Didn't see it covered, but it looks like this:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

KeviNguyen posted:

Looks like no images/css sheets, done ctrl-f5 to do a full reload?

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Casao posted:

Looks like no images/css sheets, done ctrl-f5 to do a full reload?

Just tried that, no luck
I can't really think of anything I did to cause this

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

KeviNguyen posted:

Just tried that, no luck
I can't really think of anything I did to cause this

THe trick to solving most Opera page problems is to do nothing and they will go away. It's worked for me with eBay, with the recent YouTube problems, etc.

avclub is the one that won't go away.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Here's a site where the animations are not working in my Opera 9.64 on Mac:
http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/character-stroke-order.php?searchChinese=1&zi=%E5%BF%85

Does this work for people using updated Opera on Mac?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kapalama posted:

Here's a site where the animations are not working in my Opera 9.64 on Mac:
http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/character-stroke-order.php?searchChinese=1&zi=%E5%BF%85

Does this work for people using updated Opera on Mac?

It actually crashes 10.53 on 10.5.8 for me.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Works for me, Opera 10.53 on Windows.

Wise Shtashi
Dec 4, 2008

KeviNguyen posted:

Is Turbo mode on?

A workmate enabled Turbo mode by accident when giving Opera a go last night and said Facebook loaded only text. Turbo mode stuffs up sometimes and can look similar to your problem e.g.

Click here for the full 1143x772 image.

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Wise Shtashi posted:

Is Turbo mode on?

A workmate enabled Turbo mode by accident when giving Opera a go last night and said Facebook loaded only text. Turbo mode stuffs up sometimes and can look similar to your problem e.g.

Click here for the full 1143x772 image.

just checks, its not on =\
heh maybe this is good considering its time for finals

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Is it possible to get font smoothing on for the Linux beta? My eyes are killing me.

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!
(Almost) every time I try to download something, I get a download dialog with all options except for help, greyed out.

Is there a way to fix this or should I just submit a bug report?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Tikki posted:

(Almost) every time I try to download something, I get a download dialog with all options except for help, greyed out.

Is there a way to fix this or should I just submit a bug report?

Do you wait a few seconds? They have always greyed out open and save for the first few seconds for as long as I can remember.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Cosmopolitan posted:

Is it possible to get font smoothing on for the Linux beta? My eyes are killing me.

Today's new weekly has a lot of bulletpoints about font fixes in *nix, though it does also say there are font known issues.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

Today's new weekly has a lot of bulletpoints about font fixes in *nix, though it does also say there are font known issues.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Doesn't look like it did anything.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!

thegreatcodfish posted:

Do you wait a few seconds? They have always greyed out open and save for the first few seconds for as long as I can remember.

Yes. I know it can take a couple of seconds for them to be enabled, but I've tried leaving it open for at least 15 minutes.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

When using Restore to make a tab into a floating window within the main Opera window, the initial size of the window is normally the size of the last floating window closed or something like that. However, sometimes it will get stuck and permanently Restore to one size from then on, usually a really unhelpful size too: At the moment I have to resize every drat window from a postage stamp to a usable size.

Anyone know if there's something specific that will clear the stored window size? Normally it can be cleared up by cascading/tiling windows and then carrying on, but sometimes it sticks more permanently. I'd rather not delete everything, since I only use this browsing method for very specific things and it's not worth losing all my general browsing settings for it. Getting a new major revision has fixed it in the past, any ideas what normally gets cleared by those?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Since everything else seems to be customizable, maybe this is too:

I am looking for a way to depopulats the context menu into a few simple things so I do not have to look so carefully when I am trying to grab stuff from a web page.

On a Mac and Opera 9.64 if that matters.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapalama posted:

I am looking for a way to depopulats the context menu into a few simple things so I do not have to look so carefully when I am trying to grab stuff from a web page.

ctrl click on a picture to save as...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

kapalama posted:

You can definitely alter the menus although it can be a bit of an effort if you're not totally sure about what you want to do. But at it's base, every menu can be altered.

I believe this is still valid for all the 10.x stuff (I'm not 100% about the version but that doesn't really matter). The ini file you're after is the menu.ini. Go to Preferences->Advanced->Toolbars and highlight "Opera Standard" under Menu Setup and click Duplicate. This will create the basic alternate ini file in the D & S/User Name/Application Data/Opera folder. Creating a second ini file makes sure it's nondestructive and you can switch on the fly from the default menus and your custom menus like this. Open your ini file in Notepad and then find the menu you want to change. This can be a bit difficult because the name of the menu might not be what you think it is. What I find easies is to look for a menu entry that seems relevant to that menu and see how many times it occurs in menu.ini to narrow it down. At that point it becomes about pruning down those options you don't want anymore. If it helps, I believe the basic right click menu you get for right clicking a web page is [Document Popup Menu].

Play around a little and you should be able to get it how you like. For what it's worth, removing entries is much easier than creating brand new entries so you shouldn't have much difficulty.

http://operawiki.info/EditingINIFiles

Edit: My folder stuff is based on Windows so it'll be different for your Mac.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 29, 2010

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this was always a problem but I never noticed this before... does the IRC client start to choke once a room has more than a few thousand lines? The process starts to use ridiculous amounts of CPU time and basically makes the browser unusable by the time there are around 5k lines, and it's already noticeable from around 1-2k.

More importantly though, is there a way to print only the selection on a page while preserving the formatting, like IE does (without messing with custom stylesheets every time, that is)? Doing this in Opera results in just the plain text being printed, without even paragraph breaks or any other style information.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 is out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 is out.

Funny, 10.5 still isn't out for Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

ColdPie posted:

Funny, 10.5 still isn't out for Linux.

They seem to be syncing the releases to 10.6 now. Last I remember, they had a beta of the UNIX platform out so they must be done with ripping out dependence on QT or whatever it was they were doing with it.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 31, 2010