Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Cosmopolitan posted:

It worked for me when I bought it.

If you don't mind me asking what Opera and what Platform? (me: 9.64, Mac. Old but quicktime controls are still broken in 10.x)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

kapalama posted:

If you don't mind me asking what Opera and what Platform? (me: 9.64, Mac. Old but quicktime controls are still broken in 10.x)

poo poo, I'm sorry, I just pieced together the dates, and I was actually using Chrome at the time. (I was in Linux at the time, and I didn't start using Opera again until 3 June, when they fixed the fonts.)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New build
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/12/saturday-snapshot

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Excellent! You can remove the menu button text in this build by right clicking the menu button, customize > appearance and change style to images only.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I don't tend to keep up with the finer details of the Opera roadmap as I should, but does anyone know if they've announced interest in running multi process like IE/Chrome does now? I believe Firefox is going that route very soon (perhaps 4.0?)

Opera's a great browser, but they tend to make sweeping changes and the alphas are quite unstable. Having it not take down my entire session when it crashes would be a godsend... :smith:

feld fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 13, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

feld posted:

I don't tend to keep up with the finer details of the Opera roadmap as I should, but does anyone know if they've announced interest in running multi process like IE/Chrome does now? I believe Firefox is going that route very soon (perhaps 4.0?)

Opera's a great browser, but they tend to make sweeping changes and the alphas are quite unstable. Having it not take down my entire session when it crashes would be a godsend... :smith:

Uh, they can waste precious time on that, or spend more time making Opera more stable. It should be obvious which is the more useful option. Also, how do you even get crashes? I'm less of a power-user and more of an abuser in terms of what i force Opera to handle, but i can't even remember the last time it crashed. Plus, unlike the other two browsers, if you DO crash Opera has your session saved anyhow, so what does it matter?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I guess Opera crashed a lot when I was using an alpha version of flash and occasionally the snapshots aren't very stable, but other than that I basically never see crashes. Even with 350 pages open it doesn't take all that long to start, too.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Mithaldu posted:

Uh, they can waste precious time on that, or spend more time making Opera more stable. It should be obvious which is the more useful option. Also, how do you even get crashes? I'm less of a power-user and more of an abuser in terms of what i force Opera to handle, but i can't even remember the last time it crashed. Plus, unlike the other two browsers, if you DO crash Opera has your session saved anyhow, so what does it matter?

It's actually crashed on me quite a few times as well, at least with the prerelease builds. As you said, it saves the sessions, so it's not that big of a deal to me, and besides, it should be expected with snapshot builds anyway. But I find your.. arugment? puzzling. The whole point of having each tab running as its own process would be stability. :raise:

Edit: VVVVVVVVV
Ah, I see your point. Yeah, I can agree that they shouldn't drop everything they're doing, especially since they don't even have the cross-platform releases synchronized yet. But perhaps for version 11 or something.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 14, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cosmopolitan posted:

It's actually crashed on me quite a few times as well, at least with the prerelease builds. As you said, it saves the sessions, so it's not that big of a deal to me, and besides, it should be expected with snapshot builds anyway. But I find your.. arugment? puzzling. The whole point of having each tab running as its own process would be stability. :raise:

My main point is: It is a waste of time. The problem of having a browser run as a cohesive whole, yet in separate processes is very, VERY non-trivial. Let me demonstrate just how non-trivial: Even Google Chrome does not spawn a process per tab. It only spawns a maximum of 10 or so processes, each of which handles multiple tabs. Yes, this means that if you go above that you may not have your entire browser crash, but instead random tabs will be taking down by one misbehaving tab. Even Google was not able to figure out a viable way handling inter-process-communication on a level that would enable full separation without raping RAM, CPU and bus bandwidth entirely.

A MUCH more productive use of time is to ensure that any sort of crash is as painless and consequence-free as possible (as is the case with Opera) and more importantly: To reduce the chances of crashing as much as possible by actually hunting down and fixing crash bugs or at least trapping them as much as possible.

Opera actually does that as well, occasionally the flash plugin will break on my laptop because it's an old and beaten piece of hardware. Does Opera crash? No, it just pops up a window telling me what happened and suggests i restart it at earliest convenience.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I get about one crash a week. Basically the only thing annoying about it is it always restores all the tabs at the end of their history, even if that's not where I was: e.g. if I click a link, then hit back, and leave the tab there at the point of the crash, it'll go back to the link, so I end up having a few tabs be in the "wrong" place and I have to hit back.

The crash reporter only came into being not too long ago and since then the frequency has really gone down.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'd estimate I get a minimum of 10 crashes a day right now running the prerelease. I've had issues where when it restores my session it keeps crashing. It's been sort of frustrating in that regard. Yes, I know I should expect instability when running a prerelease but when it crashes just from clicking a link.... come on guys! :doh:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

feld posted:

I'd estimate I get a minimum of 10 crashes a day right now running the prerelease. I've had issues where when it restores my session it keeps crashing. It's been sort of frustrating in that regard. Yes, I know I should expect instability when running a prerelease but when it crashes just from clicking a link.... come on guys! :doh:

How about some details as to where these crashes are produced? Sounds like you're just dealing with one specific site that should be bug-reported.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

feld posted:

Occasionally i've had specific pages blow up the browser while loading, so it'll repeatedly crash if i restore the session. There's a short period where you can just close the responsible tab and everything will go back to normal.

Mostly related to flash players, but haven't managed to pinpoint it.

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!
New snapshot

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Tikki posted:

New snapshot

Holy crap do they ever sleep? I was thinking "man I'd like another snapshot" and then out of nowhere they delivered. :woop:

They either work at an amazing pace or are incredibly awesome at releasing builds. Not even chrome releases this many builds in a week.

Mithaldu posted:

How about some details as to where these crashes are produced? Sounds like you're just dealing with one specific site that should be bug-reported.

Nope. It's very random. News sites, links off reddit and fark, etc. I can't find the pattern. :iiam:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

My main point is: It is a waste of time. The problem of having a browser run as a cohesive whole, yet in separate processes is very, VERY non-trivial. Let me demonstrate just how non-trivial: Even Google Chrome does not spawn a process per tab. It only spawns a maximum of 10 or so processes, each of which handles multiple tabs. Yes, this means that if you go above that you may not have your entire browser crash, but instead random tabs will be taking down by one misbehaving tab. Even Google was not able to figure out a viable way handling inter-process-communication on a level that would enable full separation without raping RAM, CPU and bus bandwidth entirely.

A MUCH more productive use of time is to ensure that any sort of crash is as painless and consequence-free as possible (as is the case with Opera) and more importantly: To reduce the chances of crashing as much as possible by actually hunting down and fixing crash bugs or at least trapping them as much as possible.

Opera actually does that as well, occasionally the flash plugin will break on my laptop because it's an old and beaten piece of hardware. Does Opera crash? No, it just pops up a window telling me what happened and suggests i restart it at earliest convenience.

Honestly, if they wanted to, I'd be fine with them throwing the plug-ins into their own processes or whatever. I don't think we need full-on Chrome-level process-per-tab but I don't think it'd be too out of the way to sandbox the plug-ins a little.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I really wish they would fix Facebook chat......

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Crap. Came home to find that the latest snapshot doesn't have working webm on my desktop. Wonder what the difference is... both running Squeeze, but the working one is Intel graphics while at home I have Nvidia. I doubt it's a driver... gotta be something codec/video framework related....

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Startacus posted:

I really wish they would fix Facebook chat......

I was recently forced to use it and it worked fine?

Save the whales
Aug 31, 2004

by T. Finn

Mithaldu posted:

Even Google Chrome does not spawn a process per tab. It only spawns a maximum of 10 or so processes, each of which handles multiple tabs.

Off-topic but, where did you hear this? That 10 number is wrong but the broader point might be true. Just wondering where this came from.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Save the whales posted:

Off-topic but, where did you hear this? That 10 number is wrong but the broader point might be true. Just wondering where this came from.

Observation with Process Explorer. Also, yeah, that's why i said 10 or so, couldn't remember the exact number but it's in the neighborhood.

Save the whales
Aug 31, 2004

by T. Finn

Mithaldu posted:

Observation with Process Explorer. Also, yeah, that's why i said 10 or so, couldn't remember the exact number but it's in the neighborhood.

Oh ok - I noticed a similar thing but at 40+ processes (on a brand new machine though). Maybe they're doing some performance detection to determine the limit. I was wondering if their developers had explained it somewhere. It would be really interesting that they claim one process per tab when that is not the case.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
The Opera 10.6 beta is out. I just installed it and it's pretty awesome so far.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

feld posted:

Crap. Came home to find that the latest snapshot doesn't have working webm on my desktop.

Fixed with the just released beta

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Did they fix caching redirects yet? :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh man I pushed next through the whole upgrade like usual and was all freaked out when it opened up as a new install. Thankfully it had just decided to install to a new folder and didn't tell me that if I didn't hit "options" at the start. My fonts seem to have reset themselves again though.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Mithaldu posted:

I was recently forced to use it and it worked fine?

Every message that gets sent causes the chat window to scroll all the way to the top. It's unbelievably annoying.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This beta has crashed for me something like 4-5 times today even though the last couple of weeklies weren't even close to that. Considering the changelog was pretty uninteresting between the last weekly and this I'd suggest skipping this update. I don't think it's a real big deal but when there's not much gained why deal with it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Found an interesting problem this morning. Using 10.53 on Windows 7 Pro.

I had originally set mailto: as Gmail, and it worked fine. This morning I clicked a mailto: and Windows Live Mail decided to handle it instead.

I see that it is set in Windows as the default mail app. I tried setting Opera itself as the default mail app, but when I click a mailto: Opera spazzes out opening and closing a tab.

I'm thinking I probably need to uninstall Live Mail, make sure mailtos are working with Gmail in Opera, then reinstall Live Mail and not set it as the default Windows mail app, but are there any other suggestions first?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Does anyone else have the problem where mobile versions of popular websites are loading instead of the regular ones?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New build looks to be full of crash fixes, so hopefully I'll stop crashing so much. :)
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/17/core-fixes

- CORE-26469 (Flash doesn't always paint initially until forced (YouTube channels))
This one is nice that was annoying.

Zarfol posted:

Does anyone else have the problem where mobile versions of popular websites are loading instead of the regular ones?
What site? Some websites just see "opera" in the useragent and forward to mobile because those sites are stupid. Use the site-preferences "mask as" feature.

If it's not that, is Turbo on? Try it off.

[edit] Happy to report that this build seems to have fixed my issues with frequent crashing in the previous one. I've been using it heavily all day without any so far.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 19, 2010

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Can anyone do me a favor and check if the new Opera builds fix the stupid Facebook chat, please?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One thing I'm glad about is that the 10.60b1 has fixed the issue I had in 10.50 on Windows 7 where every tab was treated like a Window by the Windows 7 taskbar, meaning it was a pain in the arse to use after opening a second tab, let alone the twelve I'd typically have open at any one time. Was this a common issue for anyone else or is it a peculiarity of my machine (apologies if people were discussing this pages ago but I skipped the 30 or so pages of this thread since last time I read it)?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

One thing I'm glad about is that the 10.60b1 has fixed the issue I had in 10.50 on Windows 7 where every tab was treated like a Window by the Windows 7 taskbar, meaning it was a pain in the arse to use after opening a second tab, let alone the twelve I'd typically have open at any one time. Was this a common issue for anyone else or is it a peculiarity of my machine (apologies if people were discussing this pages ago but I skipped the 30 or so pages of this thread since last time I read it)?

Internet Explorer has the same window/tab thing as default, which Opera tried out and I don't think many people really liked it. That could be disabled in opera:config, which was the first thing I usually changed. It can now be toggled on and off directly in the tab options now, though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I was annoyed less once people (in this thread I think) told me you could ctrl+click on the icon to get it back up in one click without picking a tab. That said when they disabled it by default I didn't turn it back on either.

Anyway, new build is up with some more fixes:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/18/weekend-fixes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Internet Explorer has the same window/tab thing as default, which Opera tried out and I don't think many people really liked it. That could be disabled in opera:config, which was the first thing I usually changed. It can now be toggled on and off directly in the tab options now, though.

Ah yes, it is in opera:config, cheers! I couldn't tell if it was a bug (since can anyone really find this useful?) so I never bothered to look beyond the normal preferences menus. Still, it would be nice if they made the option to disable it available in the normal preferences menu when they first release this feature, instead of in the subsequent beta releases. All's well that ends well, though, I guess, at least it is disable-able.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
They released 2.54 today, but that's pretty unexciting to most of the thread since we're running 2.6 weeklies. This is just a backport of some security fixes for the "release builds only" crowd.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

They released 2.54 today, but that's pretty unexciting to most of the thread since we're running 2.6 weeklies. This is just a backport of some security fixes for the "release builds only" crowd.

You should probably update dude, you're like 14 years behind.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh hah whoops. I don't know what was in my head there. 10.x of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

Got auto-upgraded to 10.54 last night and Opera has crashed about 5 times already.