Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Might want to mention that Opera now has developer tools in the form of Opera Dragonfly (Tools -> Advanced -> Developer Tools).

And in case anyone missed this from the last thread: Give feedback on Opera's UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera 10 seems a bit faster, but I think my network being sucky is kind of ruining it. Thanks college. :argh:

Stanley Pain posted:

What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Isn't Digg heavy on Javascript?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Dastardly Repressed posted:

Still no Gears and/or HTML5 client-side storage. God loving damnit.

They're apparently in the engine-update phase. The new feature phase is coming next year, according to the bottom of this page. With any luck, they'll pick those up later.

Anunnaki posted:

Not trying to poo poo on anyone, but why does everyone care so much about spell checking? :confused:

Inline spell checking wasn't a priority for me. I was also under the impression that the people who would need to use spell checking wouldn't use it anyways but nonetheless, we have it in so I'm cool with it.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
The settings for the scroll marker are: 0 is off, 1 makes the marker show only if you go to the bottom (and maybe top) of a page and 2 makes the marker show every time. I think 1 is the default. I learned this a number of days ago when I noticed the scroll marker showing up.

I imagine that the scroll marker is much more useful if you're using the Full Screen mode.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

It's true. Mouse gestures spoil you and don't go to any web browser without them, lest you find yourself trying to close a tab without the cursor anywhere near the tab.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Wheany posted:

Did you know: Clicking on a image while holding Ctrl opens the "Save image as" dialog.

<-- Try it now.

Wow, I did not know that.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Floating Fish posted:

Is there any way to move the scrollbar to the left side of the screen? Im left handed and Im using a fujitsu p1120 touchscreen and i have to reach across the screen when i want to scroll. Im new to opera and like it so far. Been using firefox for the left scrollbar option but Firefox takes about 15-20 seconds to startup, where opera and IE6 take about 5 seconds.
:smithicide:

Go to Opera:config -> User Prefs -> Click Left-Handed UI.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Zuffox posted:

The downloader doesn't work, though. :smith:

The one built into Opera? Just brought me up to build 1219 just fine.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Zuffox posted:

Dangit. Do you know, where the download is stored on the computer? The Opera homepage doesn't seem to be updated with the new version.

Unfortunately, I don't. Also, my update worked from going from the last alpha version to the new one, in case that makes a difference.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Wow, they seem to be really going at this full-speed. First Acid3 compliance, then mega-improved Javascript engine. I can only imagine what comes after that.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

Has anyone figured out how to add custom User Agents to the list?

Future Opera 10 feature sighted! :siren:

Who knows? Having a Chrome UA might make Google's stuff work. :v:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I didn't see this posted anywhere in the thread. It's a little story about Vega, the new vector graphics library, that came out about the same time as the Carakan Javascript engine.

Opera Core Concerns Blog posted:

Vega was created shortly after we started working on SVG support. When we added SVG support in Opera we needed a vector graphics library. We looked into what was available to use and met our requirements (fast, low memory usage and works on platforms ranging from phones to TVs and desktop computers). We did not find and good match for our needs, so we decided to write our own.

Shortly after we created Vega we added <canvas> support, which also uses Vega.

The most recent addition to Vega is the ability to use a hardware accelerated back-end. The back-ends we are using at the moment are OpenGL and Direct3D.

In the core version we are currently developing, Presto 2.3, we have made it possible to use Vega for all rendering in Opera. This means that we can replace the platform specific code for rendering with Vega. In the future it might be mandatory to use Vega for rendering, but in Presto 2.3 it is still possible to use the old rendering back-ends.

There are three reasons for doing this. The first reason is that the new CSS3 background and borders standard is much easier to implement using a vector graphics library. Presto 2.3 adds partial support for CSS3 backgrounds and borders, but only when using Vega for rendering.

The second reason is to support hardware acceleration of our vector graphics. In order to be able to render SVG and <canvas> in hardware we must also be able to directly draw the rendered vector graphics to the screen since reading back the rendered image from the graphics card is usually slower than rendering in software.

The final reason is that it enables us to easily add advanced graphical effects to our UI and to web pages.

The hardware back-end of Vega will unfortunately not work on all graphics cards. The good news is that we detect at runtime if your graphics card is supported or not and fallback to the software back-end of Vega if the graphics card is not supported. This means that everything will work regardless of your graphics cards capabilities.

The first requirement of you graphics card is that it has fast stencil buffers. If you are on a desktop computer that will not be a problem, but on some mobile phones that will be a problem. The reason for this requirement is that we use the stencil buffer for rendering some complex shapes instead of tessellating them and render triangles.

Since some web standards (for example opacity, SVG and <canvas>) require us to render to an off-screen buffer which is composited onto the screen we also require some kind of render to texture to be able to use Vega hardware back-end. This means a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card, or support for the framebuffer object (FBO) extension in OpenGL. It would be possible to do the same thing with pbuffers in OpenGL, but we need to do many render target switches and with pbuffers that is too slow.

The final requirement is pixel shaders 2.0, or fragment shaders 2.0 as it is called in OpenGL. We also require GLSL support on OpenGL. The shaders are required for filters. Filters is a part of SVG which performs an operation such as blur or color transforms on an image. Filters are also used in <canvas> and to support text shadows and box shadows in HTML.

For a PC user these requirements are met by any DirectX 9 compatible graphics card. So with the correct drivers you should be able to use the hardware back-end of Vega if you have a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card.

Update 2009-02-05:

I was not very clear about the multiple back-ends of Vega. If the graphics card is not capable of running the hardware back-end of Vega the software back-end will be used as a fallback and all features will still work. No features depends on hardware acceleration. All of them, including CSS3 backgrounds and borders, will work in the software back-end of Vega which does not depend on hardware accelerated graphics.

Bolded emphasis mine. Link

I approve of this new library.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 8, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

Yeah, there were some shots of this in one of the older threads, a fully 3d accelerated web browser. Had some cool effects.

I remember that. I just wasn't sure if the story about Vega was mentioned yet.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

gret posted:

Gmail seems to load up faster in the new build.

It does seem faster than I remember.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
There's a new post today regarding TLS 1.2 support on the Opera Core blog. There's also links for testing it yourself, if you're interested.

quote:

One of the new, but less obvious, features in Opera Presto 2.2 and Opera 10 is support for version 1.2 of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, the protocol formerly known as SSL.

TLS 1.2 was released as RFC 5246 last August, replacing TLS 1.1 (RFC 4346).

http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/25/new-in-opera-presto-2-2-tls-1-2-support

quote:

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera.

A long time ago, when the Firefox Speed Dial add-ons were just coming out, I saw one that basically made it seem as if this was a brand-new idea. The description of it didn't say anything to that idea but there was no recognition of where he got the idea from. To the add-on author's credit, he did change this, after a few people commented and said such. Seriously, give credit where credit is due.

Then again, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Are YouTube videos acting kind of bizarre for anyone else or do I have to reinstall Flash or something?

EDIT: For clarification, the problem seems to be when you play a video and then scroll down that page. The video goes all wonky until the scrolling is finished.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 27, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

So yea, it sucks that everyone copies Opera and doesn't give them credit, but how else would stupid internet nerds like us fan our inflated sense of superiority? :smug:

That and you got to figure that if people aren't ripping off Opera, something's wrong. :smug:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera Turbo

quote:

At Opera, we love speed. We work hard to make our browser faster with features that speeds you up, but your connection also plays a big role on how fast you can go.

Some people have fast connections, a lot have slow connections. Many are always on the run from one place to another — making it hard to find regular fast connection points. Even if you do, it might be that too many people are on the Wi-Fi in the cafe or that you are browsing through your mobile phone when commuting on the train.

That’s why we’ve been working on Opera Turbo, a server-side optimization and compression technology that provides significant improvements in browsing speeds over limited-bandwidth connections by compressing network traffic. This does not only make you surf faster, but also lowers the cost of browsing when you are on a pay per usage plan. [...]

I don't have time to try this now but I might later today.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
New spell checker library, integration of the new Turbo feature (with an experimental auto setting for when the network is slow) and Linux gets crash reporting. Download new snapshot build here.

Opera Desktop Team posted:

Opera Turbo included in 10
If you have a laptop, use slow wifi or mobile networks it's time to start using Opera 10 snapshots: Opera Turbo is now included! Since the labs release, a number of improvements have been implemented
  • We introduced a new (experimental ) Turbo setting: Automatic. If you enable this feature Opera will turn on Turbo when the network is slow. You can enable automatic mode in the Web Pages tab in the preference dialog. Opera will also show you a special notification when you are on a slow network and Turbo is not yet on.
  • Fixes to downloading of images
  • Impossible to click links on some sites
  • Gmail problems solved
  • Improved performance

New file layout in installation and profile directories

Traditionally the files installed by the Opera installer are named and layout differently per platform. For instance on Mac, preferences are stored in "Opera 9 Preferences" while on Unix and Windows this file is called "opera6.ini". In Opera 10 these differences will disappear. If you upgrade to this snapshot, the files will be renamed and moved to the new location.

WARNING: Please only test upgrading if you have backed up your Opera profile!

Known bugs when upgrading:
  • favicons are missing after upgrade
  • speeddials are empty after upgrade

New sprelling cshecker
In this snapshot Opera now uses the hunspell library as spelling checker. This provides better spelling suggestions and improves compatibility with several dictionaries.

Crashlog reporting, now on Linux!
In the previous post on this blog we asked you to upload crashlogs generated by Opera. Please continue to send logs, several crashes have been fixed thanks to your help!

Linux builds now also automatically create crash logs. You can find them in /var/tmp

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

Hahaha, that's pretty ironic.

Well, Opera did say that Chrome was going to be good for the Internet. :v:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea you could add more Speed Dial entries now.

Wait, what? Where?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

It's in the OP.

Oh, I thought there was some menu option now that I somehow missed. Sorry.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

Opera 10 won't download any of my old mail via IMAP. It gets new messages just fine, but not the old mail on the server. Am I missing something?

It seems to pull all my Gmail just fine. Are you using something besides Gmail?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

yea it's for my work email. Opera 9 gets all the old mail but not Opera 10. a bug I guess?

Sounds like a regression of some sort, yeah. Just to be sure, are you running the latest snapshot build?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Huh, I didn't even see an option for separators before. I've always been getting by with having them in alphabetical order but I might just try these things sometime.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
There's another new snapshot build out. I went and downloaded it the old-fashioned way because I forgot that auto-update is functional right now. :v: That aside, there's a long-rear end changelog in the link.

The interesting thing is that there's an issue with browser sniffing scripts that don't like the number 10 in the user-agent string. Apparently, that means that Opera 10's user-agent is going to be Opera 9.8.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Seems to be pretty interesting so far. I'll give the visual tabs thing a try for now, but it seems to take up a lot of space. Maybe if the Menu bar or something was removable ala Chrome.

Also, Facebook seems to be kind of wonky with the new beta.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 3, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

I will also try out winchanger later. Sounds perfect.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Lakitu7 posted:

For those using the beta, this visual tab thing is fully optional, right?

Yes. All it is is just a draggable tab bar. When you drag it out, the visual tabs show up, if you've enabled it.

EDIT: Just saw something interesting in my bookmarks. Apparently, some entries have letters in parenthesis following the names (i.e. (G)). Anyone know what this is about?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

Firefox scrunches the tabs together just like Opera for me, and I don't see anything about extender menus in the options. It would be awesome if you could just scroll instead of going through a menu, how do you enable that?

It scrunches them together but if you open enough beyond that, it'll add the arrows on either side of the tabs. Then, all you do is hover your cursor over it and scroll with the wheel.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

thrawn86 posted:

whats wrong with opera mouse gesture tab scrolling?

If you're talking about holding the right mouse button and using the scrollwheel, I honestly forgot about that since I don't use it much, if ever.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

thrawn86 posted:

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is.

Yeah, I just switched around the tab settings. I have it so that it won't show the list when I use it and I'm starting to like it a whole lot more now.

quote:

A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

This pretty much describes my parents. They were on IE 6 for the longest time and were used to having multiple windows open (which seems to be the root-cause of the whole multiple windows thing). Then they got a new Vista laptop and had to understand IE 7's tabs. I think my mom has it better than my dad does at this point, since she has it set to open up 5 tabs everytime IE 7 and now IE 8 opens. I've been personally trying to push them over to Chrome but no luck so far.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I've been getting a number of crashes for random things I do (everything from subscribing to a RSS feed to closing a tab). I've been submitting crash reports; thank God for the session saving.

So how often has the 10 beta crashed for you all?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I got a Motorola MotoQ smartphone at my work and it came with Opera Mobile 8.65. My first experience with it was positive, though I still don't know much of the little tricks about it like I do the desktop version (that and I'm kind of itching to try the 9.7 beta).

ufarn posted:

The Opera guys are feeling quite cocky.

Interesting, though I probably won't find out what it'll be since I'll be working and/or sleeping at that time.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I'm trying out the new feature in the Unite build where you can disable the menu bar. As a result, I'm definitely getting to know the F4 bar over on the left, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. I think I will keep the menu off for the time.

As far as the Unite thing is concerned, it seems the potential is pretty big. It'll be interesting to see what services third-party developers can come up with.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

Every web service is a single web server application hosted inside the Opera task. The application itself is written in Javascript, so you basically set up your global variables for the application and then a few event hooks that define which url path calls which javascript function. I'm not sure exactly how the global variables are handled, but it looks like they are stored indefinitely as the application state.

I took a quick look at the documentation myself and saw that these services are basically widgets in Opera but with an additional XML-defined element, with the widgets themselves being the typical HTML/CSS/Javascript/XML file setups. The Unite services have access to things like the sandboxed file I/O that the widgets don't.

Perhaps it's time to spruce up Opera SALR?

Casao posted:

The problem is, one of the former Opera 10 releases worked, then as soon as I upgraded it stopped, then it was fixed next upgrade, then next upgrade broke it. I know FB is changing things too, but it's only affecting me in Opera.

What are they changing to cause that exactly?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 17, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
So I recently found out about a little feature (in just the Opera 10 betas, I believe) that I will share.

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to their bookmark menus, but you might have noticed some entries have letters in parentheses behind them (e.g. Wikipedia(Q) ). This was kind of irritating to me since I did not know exactly what they meant or even how they were assigned (very randomly from first glance). After some searching, it turns out that the letters were accelerators. Basically, whatever letter is behind the entry in whatever menu you are currently in, pushing that letter on the keyboard will activate that.

Furthermore, it seems that the accelerator assignments are automatic in that if a letter is already in use by the other items (the underlined letters), Opera will use another letter entirely and add the letter to the end of it.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

I'm using 10.1589, and I don't see the parenthisied letters you are talking about. Although pressing buttons does bring me to sites in my bookmarks, so v:shobon:v

The parentheses will show up only if all the other letters are taken, or something like that.

When you right-click somewhere on a page that's not a link, you should see an option to go to Full Screen. If I'm right, you should see Full-Screen(G). Typing G while that menu is showing should turn it to full-screen mode.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

Nope. Honestly, though, that sounds kind of annoying, so I'm glad I don't have it (for whatever reason).

It seems that they aren't in/on by default in the Unite-enabled build. My laptop is on the beta before that one so I'm still noticing it over there. As for it being annoying, it was honestly more annoying not knowing why they were there, not that I would ever really use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
A new snapshot is out. I was going to make a joke about bug fixes but I decided against it (probably better for you all).

down1nit posted:

I can't stand it when I don't know something about Opera. Can someone on Vista/XP try this: Enable Voice, download the binaries and restart and see if the menu changes. I'm on 7 and everytime I try to do it Opera crashes. This will drive me nuts, though I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that we're all missing.

If you're talking about the voice download failing for some reason, there's a way to get it working by downloading it manually and throwing it in the correct folder. Let me see if I can find it.