Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Lakitu7 posted:

It should be like a minute or two, not overnight. I leave mine running for weeks and it takes < 5 minutes when I finally shut it down. If yours is taking beyond-overnight, something is wrong.

Opera has pretty much always taken as long as a torrent client to shut down, for no good reason I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
In my case, this is true on both Windows XP, and Mac OS X.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The internet finally chased me out of using 9.64 since too many sites cause my whole computer to lock up.

I moved to 11.01 and don't know how to do a couple of things:
1. How do I stop the weird scrolling?
2. How do I make it so links open tabs in the background, the same way previous Operas did? (To open tabs in the background I hold Shift+CMD+ Click.)
3. What is the 11.01 name of the thing that used to be called the 'personal bar'?
4. How do I edit the default fonts? Clicking on them does not pop up options like it used to. (Restartong Opera Fixed this)
This is on a Mac.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 4, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

gibbed posted:

3. Bookmarks Bar, however, this now appears under your address bar rather than above, to add the way it was previously, you'll need to customize appearance, show hidden toolbars, then make it visible from there.

What's weird though is that there is whatever used to be called the personal bar, and the Bookmarks bar, and they line up in different places when on the right. The old personal bar is a border to the window, and the bookmarks bar is inside the border to the window

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

It's not a solution, but a workaround:

I bookmark this:

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/

To get the HTML version.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Apparently the scrolling issue (on Macs with a trackpad) is pretty much down to the fact that Opera is not using the built in system stuff to manage the smooth scroll.

opera:config, search for 'smooth scrolling' and uncheck it.

That at least removes the 'drunken sailor' lurching off the bat, but puts it back to old jerky scrolling of five years ago internet browsers. Apparently Opera is trying to reinvent the wheel and making the first leap too large.

Anyone knows of a way to move the Wand info/Wand usability into Firefox?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Not looking for help with this, just reporting something weird:

I moved up to 11.01 from 9.64 to try it out on my backup machine. I decided that I would rather live with limitations of 9.64 than have to relearn how to open links in tabs in the Background. (on 9.64 on a Mac 'Shift CMD CLick' opens the link in the background, on 11.01 it opens it in front, and as far I can tell there is no way to revert 11.01 to work that way.)

When I deleted the 11.01, and ran 9.64, Opera will not connect to the internet (On a Mac so installing/removing is just moving the program into or out of the Applications folder).

Why would this happen? It's just for curiosity, since I can just reimage my main machine (which still is using 9.64) over this install anyway and fix it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Still adapting to the upgrade to 11.01 from 9.64....

There used to be a way (in 9.64) to drag bookmarks to the address bar (not the bookmarks bar), that seems to have been done away with in 11.01.

Is this gone or amd I just not doing it right ? (I know I can drag things to the personal/nookmarks bar, but I used to use the address bar to store stuff that were just for a particular days work without changing tht permanent layout of the personal/boomark bar. Also I have the bookmark bar off to the right.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The 'view your entered passwords' javascript has changed behavior in 11.01 in that it is no longer able to be copy/pasted. (you could cut and paste in 9.64 using that javascript)

Is there an updated script that pops up the password but lets you copy/paste the text on 11.01?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

This

https://img.skitch.com/20110302-rdg87hipbc9egqqcs57893gj3x.jpg

Click for large view - [color=#A7A7A7]Uploaded with Skitch[/color]

keeps popping up on the right side of pages randomly in Opera 11.01. How do I stop this?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 2, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thank you for this.

(It started randomly after a cloned system drive, so it was very confusing. Opera's help does not mention it anywhere. This sort of intrusive change should come with an easily findable off switch. Luckily, the Opera thread is better maintained than the help on the Opera site iself.)

EDIT: Well it stopped randomly doing it, but it now always does it when I set a download location for a particular file type.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 2, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am not sure what it is called, so I am not sure how to google the solution:

I am trying to shut off the 'tab title popup' that appear when I have my mouse near a tab bar, but googling this gets me a bunch of unrelated things. Anyone what Opera calls these things? Or jsut how to turn the popup off?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

This problem keeps happening:

Whenever I make any change to my preferences, this

Keeps happening. If I have 20 tabs open I have to manually close that pop up box in all twenty tabs.

I have turned off geolocation. Google search gets me nowhere. Help?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 3, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

11.x had a crash reporter, and it made me feel better when Opera locked up 5 times a day that maybe my crash reports were doing some good but 12.0 either does not have a crach reporter, or it too is crashing.

Now how do I report the 5 times a day crashes?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

jwoven posted:

loving piece of poo poo. I was going to skip the update, and it decided to do it for me automatically while I was working on something, and also reset half my settings

And trying to roll back crews the pooch. It keep hanging and never quitting even with a force quit.

gently caress, fuckity fick gently caress gently caress, and it killed my mailboxes.

Opera, when you are running at 2% market share, betas should not be released as regular updates, let alone alpha quality releases.

Please automate the setting backup so when you release functionless versions we can quicly roll back and get back to work.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I managed to roll back to 11.64. Much more sta le and only lost some functionality.

One thing that is strange is that all of the sudden CMD + ~ no longer cycles through windows which I though was enforced by OS X but apprently Opera is blocking.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It fixed itself after I mashed on a bunch of keys for a while. I are a technician.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 21, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FSMC posted:

I've used opera for as long as I can remember. This latest update just freezes and crashes far too much to actually use. Are there any guides to configure chrome/firefox/ie to act like opera?

Unfortunate that I share this. I rolled back from 12, and things are better, but

Nothing is like Opera from what I have found.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 1, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Opera (Mac) now tourinely stops accepting track pad input. After an Opera restart everything is fine.

The Wand is now the only reason I am using Opera.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

Random whine of the day: It would be nice if there were a way to disable tab stacking. I've never found it useful and once a week or so I accidentally stack two tabs together and have to take time and a dozen clicks figuring out how to undo it.

It's not random, it's real. I have just stopped having more than four or five tabs in a window to stop that annoying poopyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

feld posted:

Do you have a habit of highlighting things when you browse? If so, you're hitting the same bug that I am.

I think when you highlight stuff it makes opera get into some "html5 drag'n'drop" mode and occasionally prevents you from being able to click anything anymore until you close multiple tabs to make it all go away.

Annoying as hell, for sure.

Yeah the worst part is that the stuff I am highlighting I am only doing so so that I can do a search for a term, something Opera trained me to do regularly.