Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One thing I'm glad about is that the 10.60b1 has fixed the issue I had in 10.50 on Windows 7 where every tab was treated like a Window by the Windows 7 taskbar, meaning it was a pain in the arse to use after opening a second tab, let alone the twelve I'd typically have open at any one time. Was this a common issue for anyone else or is it a peculiarity of my machine (apologies if people were discussing this pages ago but I skipped the 30 or so pages of this thread since last time I read it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Internet Explorer has the same window/tab thing as default, which Opera tried out and I don't think many people really liked it. That could be disabled in opera:config, which was the first thing I usually changed. It can now be toggled on and off directly in the tab options now, though.

Ah yes, it is in opera:config, cheers! I couldn't tell if it was a bug (since can anyone really find this useful?) so I never bothered to look beyond the normal preferences menus. Still, it would be nice if they made the option to disable it available in the normal preferences menu when they first release this feature, instead of in the subsequent beta releases. All's well that ends well, though, I guess, at least it is disable-able.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair the QuickTime bug may actually be an issue on QT's end. Opera can only do so much to fix buggy third-party software.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kapalama posted:

While this may well be true (God knows, Apple hides its bugs and won't open its specs), The QuickTIme controls worked in everything previous to the 10.0 line of Opera, and works in every other browser.

Without meaning to be a dick, every other browser? Or just the common popular browsers for which a lot of popular web software will have kludges in place to prevent errors with? Opera is the browser that often doesn't have specific workarounds in some software/sites because it doesn't feel the love. :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Everything has bugs; we just talk about issues in case someone can help us out with them.

On that note, Opvard (a Q&A) told me that Windows 7 Jump Lists have been available since Opera 10.50, however I've never seen a single one (and personally lamented their lack even though I never use them). Anyone know why they aren't appearing? A glance through opera:config shows nothing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

It was added before 10.5 in one of the weeklies and then disabled by default before release because everyone hated it.
opera:config
Check:
Use Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnails

You're the second person to mention this, but it's Jump Lists not Thumbnails. The Thumbnails pissed me off and I disabled them, and I tested to see if reactivating them solved the Jump List issue, but it didn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hmmm, was already installed when I woke up this morning... which is strange because Opera isn't set to auto-update and I didn't get any update notices.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

I think you are in need of some kind of intervention.

All of you.

I agree. Eureka?! She's not good enough for Renton ugh!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GMail has been acting suspicious in 10.63 but after a long pause at the end of the loading bar it eventually worked. It might be something to do with GMail?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe the Windows method allows you to group tabs already open into windows. To help you out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hah, last time I checked this thread was before Version 11.00 was released.

Something that's been bothering me for the longest time in Opera is the inability to drag-and-drop images. Like, in Chrome of Firefox clicking and dragging an image to a folder will save it, but in Opera I always have to Save As and DirectFolders it, which is getting annoying - sometimes I open the image in a new tab (in Opera) and then use Opera's built in Open in -> Google Chrome because that's faster. Is it just a simple option that I've blindly missed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How do you change the search method of the Context Menu's Dictionary feature? Currently it does Marriam-Webster's dictionary or whatever it's called but I actually find it's a very lovely dictionary (I've found it often omits definitions and just generally seems out of date to the point where dictionary.com often leave it out of results), but I'd rather put in a dictionary aggregation site like dictionary.com or wiktionary. Is this possible? I can't seem to find anything to suggest it in opera:config and my Search Engines tab of the options window doesn't even have M-W in it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unless someone has an automatic suggestion, if I occasionally want to remind myself of a forgotten wand password I use this little power button which pops up a little window where you can copy and paste your stored password.

vvvvv well there we go, I guess I'm going to go sit on the shelf alongside the other useless posters :saddowns:

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 6, 2011

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm getting some strange instability on 11.01, but I'm not sure if it's Opera's fault per se - but whenever I leave the computer alone for more than an hour or two Opera freezes when I try to do anything with it, and then subsequently refuses to die. I had to restart in order to get it working again.

That said, it's only happened three times and the only thing that was definitely the same in all three instances was have a YouTube video open (but paused), a PDF open and a bunch of normal tabs, and two of those times the process did eventually die. I wonder if it's a memory issue or just something going fundamentally wrong on my machine alone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every time I read the "what we broke" list I keep getting the overwhelming impression this build is a the result of a drunk bet between the devs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't get any lag resizing this page. What version of Opera are you running?

e: Gizmodo was fine, too

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2011

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's in the OP...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

I really have to recommend the ExtendTube extension.

It adds a whole bunch of optional functionality and changes to the youtube player and page. You can choose to add a loop button, you can choose to add a button that lets you play or pause videos even while in a different tab, you can hide the comments section, you can force video quality and so on and so forth. There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with it.

You can find it here: https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/extendtube/1.6/

I'm really liking this, it basically gives YouTube the functionality of Media Player Classic, which is what it's been needing, really.

(Okay, maybe I'm just happy to see the loop-play function but screw you guys how else am I meant to get my 240p anime videos on loop!)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

It does seem pretty nice though. Is it just me, or is RAM usage way the hell down?

I've found it's bumped up about 50% on start-up in terms of RAM usage (~90 to ~140) compared to when I first started using Version 11.

If you mean after any period of usage it's pretty much the same, not that I really see a standard amount used for any particular session.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Upgrading to 11.50 removed several of the address bar search engines - I tried to Wikipedia-search something and found everything except Google and Bing had been removed. Was Bing even a search engine in previous versions? Also Encyclopedia search when right-clicking has become a Google search as well. I'm going to assume this is a bug or that it's now user-definable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mq posted:

Is it generally safe to use Opera's built-in email client? It's pretty convenient but it seems to remember the passwords which slightly bothers me.

It doesn't store your passwords unencrypted, if that's what you're worried about, but what do you expect? For it to ask for your email's password every time you open Opera?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That probably would have been helpful for me to explicitly mention, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dos4gw posted:

I can't fill in forms properly on http://www.gaythugdating.com in opera and I can't work out why because every other website seems fine. I know i could just use firefox or chrome as my 'gay thug browser' so to speak but it'd be much more convenient to just use opera for everything. Any advice on troubleshooting the problem?

Works fine for me? Are you using the latest version of Opera and not using any strange add-ons? I'll set pissflaps on you if this is a joke about Opera users being gay. :argh:

Old Guadalajara posted:

This probably belongs in the iOS megathread, but has anyone tried out Opera Mini for their iPhone/iPod Touch? Once I saw that I could get it (A while back) I swapped over to it and haven't touched Safari since (I'm not too saavy with iOS and jailbreaking).

Opera Mini is the best browser on any mobile device. Doesn't need to be in the iOS Megathread but suggesting it to them would be a benefit. :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bloated the poo poo out of the Android and iOS I tried it on, only offered Mini on the BlackBerry.

Sorry Wheany. :staredog:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gibbed posted:

This is probably old news but Opera has an in-place upgrader now? The upgrade from 11.50 to 11.51 didn't show any install dialog, just closed Opera after prompting about the update and restarted upgraded to 11.51.

That's pretty cool?

Yeah I think that was introduced with Version 11 - don't hold me to that, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Try disabling opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableUIAnimations ?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As said a few posts above, it's probably "between sessions" and not during the current one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

naptalan posted:

At work I use Firefox and I've noticed it has two amazing features in the context menu which Opera is missing: highlighting text and googling it in a new tab, and opening non-hyperlinked URLs in a new tab. Opera has both of these, I think, but they automatically open in the same tab.

Should be Settings -> Preferences -> Advances -> Tabs -> uncheck Reuse Current Tab

Mostly because I've always had them open in a new tab when I use either option from the context menu. There is also shift-clicking, but that's a pain in the arse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

I just wish they'd improve the performance with hardware "acceleration" turned on. I'm probably going to have to disable it when v12 goes final, if it stays like this.

Wow, it's really weird but using the current snapshot it literally slows down as I scroll over your post. Like I double checked this and I can scroll up and down the page elsewhere freely but every time, the second your avatar is about to appear it starts chugging. It can do the rest of the page fine, though. Are... are you cursed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

1351x64 has been pretty stable for me, it uses twice the amount of RAM that 11.x uses (~300k instead of ~150k) in general, but that amount doesn't seem to go up significantly even if I open a bunch of tabs / leave it open for days at a time. The only crash I've had so far was pulling a tab out of a window to make a new one, YouTube vids have been fine for me, guess I'd better hold my fingers crossed it stays that way.

On the plus side the slowdown over Heresiarch's post has gone, too, hopefully that was just a strange coincidence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scrolling in this new release (x64) seems a lot smoother, at least - with HWA/WebGL enabled. And the memory usage is back down to 11.6x levels instead of the double that it was before.

Cheer up Lakitu7 maybe this one won't be so tragic. :ohdear:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jumping back a few days, it seems 11.64 needed to add a defence for allowing arbitrary code execution via the URL. Nasty stuff, although the likelihood of encountering this specific exploit would be super low in the first place.

My favourite Opera Next bug is that if I check for updates and there aren't any, the "Okay" button doesn't close the pop-up window no matter how many times you click it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I'm just lucky but the past week's snapshots have been pretty stable for me, in fact the only crash I've encountered was when the auto-updater tried to shut Opera Next down, which was a bizarre time for it to happen. Maybe try again, Heresiarch?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marlboro Lover posted:

Maybe history will repeat itself and we'll be faced with the following two options:

1) Use a "free" version enhanced with Facebook "features," or...
2) Pay to use an unbranded (non-Facebook) version of the browser. ($1-2 would be appropriate these days.)

Opera would then become the new mIRC.

I paid for mIRC. :eng99:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Try the bug report wizard, even if it's not the best solution.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've never had that happen before, but now watching a Youtube video in a new window fullscreened on my second monitor seems to crash the browser completely about 50% of the time.

It doesn't quite work out as well in terms of h.264 not being part of Opera's HTML5 implementation, but you can opt in to HTML5 on YouTube, which should mitigate some of the problems with Flash crashing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LooKMaN posted:

I'm not using HWA or WebGL though. Are there any real benefits to using either? I tried HWA but i didn't like how it changed the font rendering.

I've been using HWA without any problems too, but from what I hear it's dependant on your graphics card. For reference I'm using a Radeon HD 6800 series on the latest drivers with the x64 12 previews and final release, which has been stable in Opera (although the current drivers comically enough cause blue screens if Windows Update requires a restart and you ask it to wait a bit).

I've activated WebGL and will see if there's any change in stability.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just as a minor update, activating WebGL didn't seem to have any effect on stability (or performance for that matter), so if you're desperate to show off how much more modern you can make your browser, I don't see any danger in activating it.

In crash news, only one "crash" over the past few weeks, which was the out-of-process-plugin, meaning I could kill that without losing my other tabs, and it happened more because I had completely pushed my RAM over its limit than Opera's fault. Again, though, what works for me may well be broken as poo poo for others, but it's not all bad reports!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm more than happy to blame Adobe for that particular issue, to be fair.

Although it's not about Opera, this site refers to some of the horrific bugs Adobe's flash-based UIs encounter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is Settings -> Preferences -> Search -> Enable search suggestions in the address field checked?

Otherwise, what about these settings?
opera:config#UserPrefs|Addressfield:mixsearchenginesuggestionswithhistory
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowSearchSuggestionsInAddressfieldDropdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Have you enabled this option

opera:config#UserPrefs|DisplayLinkTitle

?